Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R TT....Round 3 - 10min TT, 10k TT, 10m TT, Saturday July 4th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Unfortunately I need to drop out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

crisco10 wrote: »
    That's 4 (5 if you round down Edinrunna's very specific distance) 10 minuters with a target of 2.8km! what's so popular about that length??? I chose it a little (very) arbitrarily...

Mini battle there...:-)

For some reason I calculated 1.75 miles as 2,840m! I'll keep that as an optimistic prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Saturday definitely coming into focus now.

6 anticlockwise laps of the Polo Road Loop is the plan. Same loop I used for the 1M TT but this time I'll run the new 'runner' path on Chesterfield rather than running on the road.

6 take-stock and regroup descents of Chesterfield and 6 mental battles with the Lords Walk drag. If there are headwinds blowing I may need to find an alternative route.

Treating this as a PB attempt so hopefully will go under 38:38. Will adopt a negative split tactic. Going to be tough running this solo.

I rehearsed the opening 2 laps tonight. Hit my targets but don't feel any more nor less confident.

Looking forward to this (I think).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I am so sorry to ask this. Its probably the stupidest question ever asked here :pac: but I'm having one of those pre-event mental hiccups.

My watch is set in miles right and all paces in recent months have been that way so I know where I am with them and whether I have room to push on. Actually cringing for myself here now :o

I want to keep it simple on Sat and finish when the watch tells me 10k is done. But keep the pace feedback in miles. Does that make any sense? :pac:

I've split the run in two and set a pace for each 5k on my watch. At the moment it says 'Run 5km - xx:xx to yy:yy min/mi. Run 5km - aa:aa to bb:bb min/mi

So that's it? On Sat, the watch will tell me the distance in KM (or at least beep when the 10k is done) but the pace feedback will be in miles? Admittedly I'm over complicating it, but I want to avoid any need for mental arithmetic or misinterpretations in mile 4 when I'm dying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

So that's it? On Sat, the watch will tell me the distance in KM (or at least beep when the 10k is done) but the pace feedback will be in miles? Admittedly I'm over complicating it, but I want to avoid any need for mental arithmetic or misinterpretations in mile 4 when I'm dying

The setting on my watch for pace is separate to the workout setting. I had 5k in for that TT but didn't change anything with pace settings so still had it showing as pace per mile. If your watch is also a Garmin I can't imagine it would be any different for you :) enjoy and good luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks ReeReeg, I really appreciate the response.

Yeah..mine is a garmin and everything it's telling me is the same as yours.. So 5k at a per mile pace. I just wanted to make sure so thats not an extra battle I have to have with myself :pac:

Thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Quick one folks.

Tomorrow I'll update the table and start checking the names on Strava etc..
    Its last chance salo0n to go for it and stick a target up!

Anyone not on the table yet but posted don't worry I'll go through the thread and scoop up the updates and the drop outs :o

And 10 minute folks, its 10 minutes! I need to know what you did in 10 mins. So lets say you run 3k but do it in 10:06 and stop it at 10:06, I can't record that as a 10 minute result. Set your watch for 10 minutes!! You can run through it and have your watch on km splits so it will record 3kms for you anyway :p

P.S wheres Healy my apparent partner in crime?

Well if I have to pick a time, could you put me down for 1.12, no 1.10, no 1.12

1.12...put me down for 1.12 in the hope I don't see that at the end.

That's hours and minutes btw :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Quick one folks.

Tomorrow I'll update the table and start checking the names on Strava etc..
    Its last chance salo0n to go for it and stick a target up!

Anyone not on the table yet but posted don't worry I'll go through the thread and scoop up the updates and the drop outs :o

And 10 minute folks, its 10 minutes! I need to know what you did in 10 mins. So lets say you run 3k but do it in 10:06 and stop it at 10:06, I can't record that as a 10 minute result. Set your watch for 10 minutes!! You can run through it and have your watch on km splits so it will record 3kms for you anyway :p

P.S wheres Healy my apparent partner in crime?

How do you set your watch to do exactly 10 mins, my Garmin is so old you need to put coins in it to get it working!!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

How do you set your watch to do exactly 10 mins, my Garmin is so old you need to put coins in it to get it working!!!

TbL

Not sure how old yours is, but I'm just setting up a workout with one element, run for 10 mins.

Similar to the setup for the 1mile TT...

Start the workout, start running, then the watch beeps and auto pauses at the end of the workout..ie. 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

TbL

And all the money you have........

crisco10 wrote: »
    Not sure how old yours is, but I'm just setting up a workout with one element, run for 10 mins.

Similar to the setup for the 1mile TT...

Start the workout, start running, then the watch beeps and auto pauses at the end of the workout..ie. 10 mins.

Thanks, I’ll have a look, I’ve a 910xt.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

TbL

Should be grand. The watch may keep going beyond the 10 mins but you should have a split for the 10 mins. Test in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

One final mini session at the planned pace again yesterday. I think this one is going to hurt a lot if I even manage to hold it together for the 10 minutes. After finally cracking the mile last month I should be rewarding myself not inflicting more punishment :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow anyway. Looking forward to the epic reports from the longer distances too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Good luck to everyone! Will be interesting to follow the different distances tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

One final mini session at the planned pace again yesterday. I think this one is going to hurt a lot if I even manage to hold it together for the 10 minutes. After finally cracking the mile last month I should be rewarding myself not inflicting more punishment :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow anyway. Looking forward to the epic reports from the longer distances too.
    The lads who I train with and regularly race those distances always say 3000m is harder than 1500m/1mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

MY BAD wrote: »
    The lads who I train with and regularly race those distances always say 3000m is harder than 1500m/1mile
    Not what I wanted to hear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Your absentee organiser just checking in here. Best of luck to everyone in the morning and thanks to Shotgun for ploughing on without me. I'll help out tomorrow with the results M :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

TbL

watch (excuse the pun!) this

Quick reminder that we will take results off Strava not results posted here.

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP! Its likely to be wet and windy tomorrow and you will need all your mental resolve to do a TT in those conditions, especially the longer 10s.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP!

Hands down, the worst piece of running advice I’ve read on Boards!!!!!

OOnegative wrote: »

Which Part? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

OOnegative wrote: »

I'm going to take that advice with a pinch of salt and a tequila

[URL="https

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUsWeUUwsQ"]watch (excuse the pun!) this[/URL]

thanks AM that was very helpful

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I'm down for the ten miler but am now doing a virtual 5.6km race with work over the weekend instead

Is it ok to switch to the ten mins and take my first ten mins from this effort?

I'm down for the ten miler but am now doing a virtual 5.6km race with work over the weekend instead

Is it ok to switch to the ten mins and take my first ten mins from this effort?

Yes but make sure you have a 10min interval on Strava

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Yes but make sure you have a 10min interval on Strava

Yup will do, thanks

Name |Cat|Event|Prediction|Actual|Adjusted|Sandbag Factor
    MrSkinny|M48|10mins|2,500m||||
    edinrunna|M26|10mins|2,840m||||
    Thebitterlemon|M53|10mins|2,500m||||
    Dubh Geannain|M37|10mins|3,001m||||
    Murph_D|M59|10k|44:59||||
    DeepBlue|M49|10k|43:54||||
    Treviso|M41|10miles|64.59||||
    Diablo Verde|M39|10miles|61:17||||
    Lazare|M44|10k|41:45||||
    spc78|M42|10miles|59:10||||
    Swashbuckler|M38|TBC|TBC||||
    66_Lad|M40|10miles|TBC||||
    ClashCityRocker|M35|10mins|2,900m||||
    blackbird86|F37|10k|54:59||||
    Laineyfrecks|F42|10k|43:10||||
    Hannibal_Smith|F43|10k|71:12||||
    pansophelia|F40|10k|54:59||||
    crisco10|M34|10mins|2,800m||||
    diego_b|M38|10k|45:00||||
    MisterJinx|M43|10mins|2,800m||||
    coogy|M47|10k|39.59||||
    Baby75|F44|10k|57:50||||
    Speedy44|M55|10mins|2,600m||||
    AuldManKing|M47|TBC|TBC||||
    Rizzee|M29|TBC|TBC||||
    Lambay Island|M39|10mins|3,001m||||
    CR 7|M31|10k|39:45||||
    outforarun|M47|10k|38:29||||
    ReeReeG|F34|10k|44:59||||
    Hedgehoggy|F37|10mins|2,410m||||
    jamule|M45|10miles|61:00||||
    Enpassant|M59|10K|47:59||||
    Reality_Check|M33|10k|54:59||||
    OOnegative|M41|10mins|2,800m||||
    MrMacPhisto|M38|10miles|59:50||||
    gucci|M36|10mins|2,800m||||

Ok thats the final table for tomorrows TT. Last call for last minute edits?
    TBCs highighted may do a TT tomorrow but no target = no result. I'll create a category for that :p

Go hard or go home tomorrow folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Quick reminder that we will take results off Strava not results posted here.

Instead of that last TT lads advice to drink beer before your TT and give you kudos for doing so, I'm more health conscious and will advise you to get some SLEEP! Its likely to be wet and windy tomorrow and you will need all your mental resolve to do a TT in those conditions, especially the longer 10s.. :D

Whoops...too late ;)

• Advertisement

Missing from the Strava Thread (All who are not confirmed as DNS)

I know some names and others I tracked back through 1 mile and 5k TT (which was a bit of a pain). So unless Healy or I spot you in the Strava chat tomorrow with your time, you risk being omitted. Sorry..

Tbl
    Treviso
    spc78
    MisterJinx
    Baby75
    Rizzee
    AMK - not confirmed DNS :P
    Speedy44
    Lambay Island
    Enpassant

Advertisement