Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No life? Who are we to criticise? What about the rest of us still posting on this thread? I’m an old man with no social life! What’s your excuse? :)

Ignoring kids and pretending to work. Usual stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm all for anyone who raises the profile and kicks up a fuss about the issues cyclists face everyday, somebody's got to do it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm all for anyone who raises the profile and kicks up a fuss about the issues cyclists face everyday, somebody's got to do it I suppose.

But,but it's so rare,exaggerated etc. AlanD, must be going out of his way to find stuff to post...aparrently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,405 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Well it's that Alan D bloke, I mean he reports near misses and all kinds of mad sh*t like every day. I just have to ignore all the close passes as best as I can, if I was to live the way he does posting about them all the time etc. my nerves would be frayed. Maybe what he's doing is for the greater good but I don't know where he gets the energy. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's posting in this thread, so sorry Al, but you should prob give it a rest for a while.

He should give it a rest? If you don't like it, don't follow him. You don't get to choose what he does on Twitter.

Don't forget the bad parking thread over there too!

Funny thing is, they never post photos of bicycles parked badly?

• Advertisement

Another “very rare” event! Still no one got hurt (I hope!)

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/status/1278053515659816963?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Don't forget the bad parking thread over there too!
    Funny thing is, they never post photos of bicycles parked badly?

There is a Facebook page called Dublin's Parking Clowns.....a picture was put up at the weekend of a group of 3 cyclists on the road even though there was a cycle lane along the footpath.

Currently has 262 comments......vast majority are negative.

Had a look at all the posts since January. The vast majority of pictures of terrible parking all have less that 10 comments. The odd one will have more than 30.

Another “very rare” event! Still no one got hurt (I hope!)

https://twitter.com/dubfirebrigade/status/1278053515659816963?s=21

Hope there was no cyclists menacing with intent on the footpaths trying to get around this?

Hope there was no cyclists menacing with intent on the footpaths trying to get around this?

I cycle home via the R132 most days. But it's ok, I wear a plastic hat and Lycra. I'm not worried about being hit by a car...I'll be grand! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

micar wrote: »
    I will let you in on a little secret......cyclists are allowed to cycle on the road even if there is a cycle lane. You might want to share that with your colleagues.

I know the stillorgan road very well and I cycled up and down the N11 from town to loughlinstown 4 days a week for about 8 years.

What the latter part of your post is saying is if there is a cyclist ahead of me on the road, I will overtake that cyclist knowing I am coming up to a bus to stop and I'll have to stop in order to teach them a lesson.

That sort of action poses a danger to a cyclist. And you get pleasure from this as you feel a lack of courtsey from the cyclist.

And you're a professional driver.

I've no issue with them using the road. I do have an issue with them (and also taxis, breakdowns, collisions and the Gardai) using bus lanes. I should add that it's only a minority of cyclists who do this anyway.
    micar wrote: »
    If you read my initial post on this issue.......I was asking why a bus driver feels the need to overtake a cyclist knowing that they are coming up near to a bus stop where they will have to pull in across the path of a cyclist to stop.

I didn't say anything about a cyclist overtaking a bus.

And if you read my initial post, you'll see that I never said anything about pulling in across a cyclist to stop. I'm talking about a full, safe overtaking manoeuvre. I'm already safely in front of them before pulling in. And nine times out of ten, traffic is too heavy for them to even attempt to overtake me when I'm stopped, so there's nothing dangerous happening at all.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with them using the road. I do have an issue with them (and also taxis, breakdowns, collisions and the Gardai) using bus lanes.

If you have 'an issue' with other entirely legal road users, that's your issue to sort it.

Another absent driver /autonomous car 'accident' in the UK - no mention at all of the driver in the article.
    https://twitter.com/LDNbybike/status/1278120229743321089?s=19

I do have an issue with them (and also taxis, breakdowns, collisions and the Gardai) using bus lanes. I should add that it's only a minority of cyclists who do this anyway.

You need re-training, or a new job.

It does explain a hell of a lot though when it comes to all the attempted bullying you see by DB drivers.

It does explain a hell of a lot though when it comes to all the attempted bullying you see by DB drivers.

Should we just ban public transport because it's obviously impossible for some to live with any sort of motorised traffic in Dublin.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Should we just ban public transport because it's obviously impossible for some to live with any sort of motorised traffic in Dublin.

Or maybe just train bus drivers not to cut people off?

Or maybe just train bus drivers not to cut people off?

Or train drivers and cyclists to keep the distance from the bus. It's not rocket science to know that bus has to stop.

Yes. No. Or some other equally nonsense answer to match your question, it's your choosing.

Or train drivers and cyclists to keep the distance from the bus. It's not rocket science to know that bus has to stop.

Sorry, but we can't train drivers and cyclists - because any suggestion of additional training and validation would be a huge imposition apparently, regardless of the fact that we are putting lethal machinery in the hands of people who can't remember their driving test, if they ever had one at all.

But bus drivers are a fairly small group, and undergo training specific to their role already, so.....

Anti social cyclists getting pulled by an army or rozzers! I got a chuckle. Have a listen to what the bobby says.

https://twitter.com/7dimii/status/1278057183167553536

But sadly this is the behaviour that threads like this leads to, roads are full of cowards, reflective of these type of threads.

https://twitter.com/SafeCyclingEire/status/1278238610899304449

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

So, I get the "some cycle lanes are so **** I'm safer on the road" argument - for some cycle lanes. What about (to coin a phrase!) the ones that aren't? What about the ones where it's demonstrably safer to use the segregated cycle lane?

Case in point: North Strand Road, inbound. Approaching the canal and railway bridge, steep enough hill, with a two lanes. One is a bus lane. There's a segregated cycle lane, behind a wall, from the entrance to Costcutter all the way up to the traffic lights. This morning (and many morningS), there's a guy huffing and puffing his way up the hill, in the middle of the bus lane, with two full double deckers following him at something like 5kmh.

I'd totally get it if there wasn't a cycle lane, but there is, and it's perfectly fine and unobstructed, and much safer. He's possibly one here now, wondering why some buses get so aggressive with some cyclists...

• Advertisement

why some buses get so aggressive with some cyclists...

2 things.

1st, buses don't get aggressive with anyone.

2nd, drivers that get aggressive do so due to their own failings. Impatience can be understandable to a point, but deal with it, they get paid to sit in a bus and drive it.

But to get aggressive you've no place as a 'professional' driver.

edit: I lie, 3 things.

That cycle lane you're talking about is far from perfectly fine and unobstructed. It's full of pedestrians, god know what would happen if the cyclist wants to pop a wheelie, goes on for a very short distance(not even 50 metres?, and it throws cyclists out in front of either moving traffic, or traffic stopped blocking the silly ramp brining you onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

But sadly this is the behaviour that threads like this leads to, roads are full of cowards, reflective of these type of threads.

Not commenting on the first one, cos I've no sound right now.

But the second link? Jesus, you're really digging now.

Are you seriously suggesting the kid was targetted 'cos he was a cyclist?!

I mean, there's been a spate of mobile phone thefts in the city centre by teenagers and bikes, but nobody's having a go at cyclists as a result.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This morning (and many morningS), there's a guy huffing and puffing his way up the hill, in the middle of the bus lane, with two full double deckers following him at something like 5kmh.
    this guy?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3571119,-6.2434362,3a,75y,151.25h,74.31t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ-5oKQHoseqGHIt3VwXybw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

This thread is getting ridicules.

Shi1t flinging contest. Same old heads flinging the brown ..

Just ban everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

aha, it's another example of a cycle lane which dumps you out into left turning traffic. quelle surprise. so if you're going straight on on a bike, you're positioned on the left of a left turning car.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3567953,-6.2438098,3a,75y,67.29h,65.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9gT1bRYXTuWyE028COTquw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The new Lombard street cycle lane is the worst for that https://goo.gl/maps/oeBeiYPw8LkvegGD8 . Not sure do they expect you to cross with the pedestrian light or what. Hard to really see how bad it is from Street view as it shows the old layout if you scroll (the new layout brings you round the corner to the left before dumping you and leaving you to try and make your way straight on while not getting squashed by the left turning traffic).

Anti social cyclists getting pulled by an army or rozzers! I got a chuckle. Have a listen to what the bobby says.

https://twitter.com/7dimii/status/1278057183167553536

I onced walked from a friends flat to a car park in the middle of the night. A man on a bike cycled around me with his pants off telling me he will **** me. Should I make your type of assumption about the cyclist hostility towards drivers or should I conclude that there are deckhands in this world who will find someone to target.

Edit: I don't think I typed deckhands but I guess autocorrect decided it was too vulgar... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

This morning (and many morningS), there's a guy huffing and puffing his way up the hill, in the middle of the bus lane, with two full double deckers following him at something like 5kmh.

This would sort him out :D
    https://www.reddit.com/r/instantkarma/comments/hgo0vz/not_crazy_but_still_satisfying/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

If you have 'an issue' with other entirely legal road users, that's your issue to sort it.

And I 'sort it' by overtaking them when it's safe to do so. Ideally, I'd like bus lanes to be for buses only - not for the guards to park in when it suits them, not for people to park in while they change a tyre or exchange details after a bump, not for delivery drivers, not for taxis and not for cyclists.

Why would I need re-training? Just like the cyclist who hogs the bus lane on the N11, I've done nothing illegal.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but we can't train drivers and cyclists - because any suggestion of additional training and validation would be a huge imposition apparently, regardless of the fact that we are putting lethal machinery in the hands of people who can't remember their driving test, if they ever had one at all.

But bus drivers are a fairly small group, and undergo training specific to their role already, so.....

Actually where I was passing my driving licence you failed the test if you didn't let out the bus with the indicator on showing that they intend to renter the traffic. Again its not rocket science and if you are part of the traffic you should be able to follow simple rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement