Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake it
    Is stationary for the purpose of allowing a passenger to alight or board the vehicle
    Is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading

Get yourself a copy of the rules of the road pal;) And a few cycling lessons.

Most National schools provide them for kids I think. Join in. :pac:

I would never go up the inside of car indicating left.

If a car in stationary and is expecting passenger to alight or board or for the purposes of loading or unloading, the car needs to as far to the left as possible to not give space to a cyclist to up on the inside......by not parking up correctly then the car is, for the cyclist, stopped in traffic.

A cyclist cannot read the mind of a motorist or it's passengers.

Anytime you open your car door into traffic, it's your responsibility that you check for on coming traffic.

To tell a cyclist to read rules of the road in this regard is ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Depends on how you measure it. The swimming pool filled with great white sharks can claim 0 drownings a year. Deaths per km walked or cycled is a far better measure

Well then if we take that swimming pool as being our roads and the sharks are the motorists then to be statistical one of the safest countries in Europe for road use I think is a good thing.
    Maybe you dont as it doesn't suit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Imagine having an agenda to make the roads safer, what kind of maniac must he be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Casey78 wrote: »
    Well then if we take that swimming pool as being our roads and the sharks are the motorists then to be statistical one of the safest countries in Europe for road use I think is a good thing.
    Maybe you dont as it doesn't suit your agenda.

Way to completely miss the point. Did you happen to see the part about measuring deaths by km rather than total?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

They're arguably even worse in this country. This one on Leopardstown Rd in Dublin always strikes me as being particularly unusable.

I used to cycle that road everyday on my commute, I had to change my route due to that awful cycle lane. I tried taking the lane but I’ve had some of the most aggressive encounters I’ve experienced from drivers attempting to run me off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Santry to Dublin Airport.
    Glasnevin to Finglas

Both of these routes have to be the most pathetic attempts at cycle lane design ever! Both are a total waste of time and money.
    Bad cycle lane infrastructure is worse than no cycle lane infrastructure ... because people who know feck all about commuting by bike can’t understand why cyclists do t use these lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How terribly non PC of me.

I shall never regard myself as a professional again. :rolleyes:

Now. Im finished triggering the predicable posters, im off to the pub for a beer on my bike.

;)

Is there anything more tedious than the 'ah I was only joking' response response when someone gets called out on their BS?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

I'm honestly not sure if the limit you mention applies to cyclists. The bye-law linked to by others refer to vehicles, so that's obviously nothing to do with cyclists

Generally “vehicle” when used in the legal sense refers to all vehicles, which would include a pedal cycle. Certain offences i.e. speeding, drunken driving, drunk in charge, etc are not defined using “vehicle” but rather “mechanically propelled vehicle”.

For speeding the offence wording starts as follows-

A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle at a speed exceeding the speed limit —

Bye Law interpretations generally follow with statute interpretations and I would assume that is the case here also, and that any posted speed limit in a park can only refer to a mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Generally “vehicle” when used in the legal sense refers to all vehicles, which would include a pedal cycle. Certain offences i.e. speeding, drunken driving, drunk in charge, etc are not defined using “vehicle” but rather “mechanically propelled vehicle”.

It's very clear it applies to bikes, and the big circled "10kmh" next to every stencil of a bike, on the cycle lane, is kind of a giveaway.

Nice of Andy to grant that cycling at speed in a park is not the best thing to do, I honestly wasn't expecting that!

It's very clear it applies to bikes, and the big circled "10kmh" next to every stencil of a bike, on the cycle lane, is kind of a giveaway.

Nice of Andy to grant that cycling at speed in a park is not the best thing to do, I honestly wasn't expecting that!

And yet it carries the same legal weight of a 5 kmph speed limit in my local shopping centre car park.

• Advertisement

Do parks have cycle lanes?

Do parks have cycle lanes?

:rolleyes: Pedantry, meet Andy. Andy, pedantry. Oh, you already know each other?

RobbieMD wrote: »
    And yet it carries the same legal weight of a 5 kmph speed limit in my local shopping centre car park.

Does it? IANAL. There are Dublin City Council bye-laws. I assume they're able to enforce them and there are penalties for not doing so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't believe i'm engaging in this trivial sideshow about parks, but the speed limit is 10km/h and the maximum penalty for violating a bye-law in a public park is €1,200.
    for people having such an extended argument about it, you sure are slow about educating yourself on what you're arguing about. this took about 60s to find.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf

:rolleyes: Pedantry, meet Andy. Andy, pedantry. Oh, you already know each other?

It's all just a bit confusing to be honest. I don't think parks have cycle lanes. Therefore I'm not sure that speed limit signs would be intended for cyclists in the first place?

In the DLR parks, they generally have 'no cycling' rules, so I'm struggling to see where these speed limits fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sorry haven't checked in the thread to a while. See we've moved onto speed limits for cyclists in DCC parks. Is there a link to this by law?

Does it? IANAL. There are Dublin City Council bye-laws. I assume they're able to enforce them and there are penalties for not doing so.

But the offence for speeding can only be committed by mechanically propelled vehicles. You or I won’t find any cases of someone prosecuted for this offence when in a Dublin City Park.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check out 4.6(g) in the pdf i linked a few posts above - that seems to apply to all vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

check out 4.6(g) in the pdf i linked a few posts above - that seems to apply to all vehicles.

Hard to see though how it could be applied in court of law, given that there would likely be no evidence other than the opinion of a park official that someone was travelling in excess of the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another "Perfectly Fine/Safe" bike lane!

https://twitter.com/pward82/status/1278673471439081474?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

What's the obsession with court of law? What about just doing the decent thing. I have no issues with cyclists in the park but does it really have to be enforced in the court of law to not be ignorant and slow down in places where there are a lot of people especially kids. The same attitude is around littering or a lot of other activities that require a bit of personal responsibility and not being a complete selfish prick.

Edit: I was replying to Duckjob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

meeeeh wrote: »
    What's the obsession with court of law? What about just doing the decent thing. I have no issues with cyclists in the park but does it really have to be enforced in the court of law to not be ignorant and slow down in places where there are a lot of people especially kids. The same attitude is around littering or a lot of other activities that require a bit of personal responsibility and not being a complete selfish prick.

Edit: I was replying to Duckjob

I would have thought my expression was clear enough, but maybe not. So-

I wasn't saying I thought it was OK to speed though parks. Personally I find it ignorant when people do so when other people are around. I was simply pointing out that the law as it stands is probably legally useless and as such simply relies on peoples sense of decency (which is often lacking) to conduct themselves properly.

i can't believe i'm engaging in this trivial sideshow about parks, but the speed limit is 10km/h and the maximum penalty for violating a bye-law in a public park is €1,200.
    for people having such an extended argument about it, you sure are slow about educating yourself on what you're arguing about. this took about 60s to find.

https://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content/RecreationandCulture/DublinCityParks/Documents/ParksBye-Laws2D.pdf

Yeah, I found it the other day when someone doubted the existence of speed limits. Someone else linked it then, too.

It's all just a bit confusing to be honest. I don't think parks have cycle lanes. Therefore I'm not sure that speed limit signs would be intended for cyclists in the first place?

In the DLR parks, they generally have 'no cycling' rules, so I'm struggling to see where these speed limits fit.

Some DCC parks (not all) have paths divided down the middle by a white line, one half for pedestrians, one half for cyclists.

The speed limit signs are intended for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Driving back from a run with the dogs and going downhill here

Rathmullan Rd
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/XroHKKZ1BtyR39me6

A cyclists is going uphill and as I am approaching 3 cars overtake him. I end up having to go on the brakes and move to the left as the cars are encroaching on my side of the road....cyclist basically says "fu€k this sh1t" and hops onto footpath where it drops down at a driveway.

Here's today's exceedingly rare event. He waited for an entire cycle of the pedestrian lights, at least 20 seconds if not 30 seconds - and then blew through the red light

https://streamable.com/p19vmo

It's amazing how rare these late RLJs are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

This thread is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

A quick question. Do people actually watch linked videos? EspeciallyTwitter links. If I wanted to follow tweets I would on Twitter. (I might be weird I even find 'funny' WhatsApp videos tedious. At some stage it's just video pollution.)

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Another "Perfectly Fine/Safe" bike lane!

https://twitter.com/pward82/status/1278673471439081474?s=20

I must have missed something, what's the issue here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement