Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,513 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t like the word “ scumbag “ but I don’t believe it should be banned just because myself and others don’t like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Bud ..... was in a shop today and elderly female cashier said thanks Bud ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Bud ..... was in a shop today and elderly female cashier said thanks Bud ??

I bthink the English use of the word "mate" is stupid.

When you hear a guy say this is my "mate", i feel like asking him are you screwing him, as that what a mate is....or at least that is where the word comes from

Another one that makes me laugh is when people would call me kid, even when i am older than them and grey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

GoatBoy74 wrote: »
    Muck savage? Anyone??

'savage' maybe...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

'savage' maybe...

Spoken like a true culchie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Seriously ?

you are trying to put culchie in the same league as the n word ?

I have heard culchie used in an endearing way, never heard a white person used the n word in the same endearing way.

Well they are both actually quite similar in meaning, that cannot be denied. So why do you feel they are different? How can they be different? I know people may be more used to saying culchie and so feel that it is different, but that logic doesnt stand up to scrutiny. Im sure there were people in the south of america who were used to using the n word in a similar way. There seems to be a serious lacking in self awareness from people on that front. A lack of cop on that, ironically, the same people would probably attribute to culchies.

I notice you still arent using the n word itself, despite claiming that the word is not the insulting part, but rather the meaning attached. Kinda undermines your own argument Id have thought...

Re endearing, I get what you are saying, but in reality, there is nothing endearing about calling someone an unsophisticated country bumpkin, regardless of what tone is used etc.The word itself is demeaning. Its akin to saying, well arent you a great idiot. Im sure if you go back 50 years people used the n word the same way at times. But then the realised how that actually sounded.

So if you feel there is a distinction then by all means, explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Someone asked me recently if I had any holibops planned.

Jesus, my reply would be... “ I’ll tell you, after I give you some punchibops “

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Well they are both actually quite similar in meaning, that cannot be denied. So why do you feel they are different? How can they be different? I know people may be more used to saying culchie and so feel that it is different, but that logic doesnt stand up to scrutiny. Im sure there were people in the south of america who were used to using the n word in a similar way. There seems to be a serious lacking in self awareness from people on that front. A lack of cop on that, ironically, the same people would probably attribute to culchies.

I notice you still arent using the n word itself, despite claiming that the word is not the insulting part, but rather the meaning attached. Kinda undermines your own argument Id have thought...

Re endearing, I get what you are saying, but in reality, there is nothing endearing about calling someone an unsophisticated country bumpkin, regardless of what tone is used etc.The word itself is demeaning. Its akin to saying, well arent you a great idiot. Im sure if you go back 50 years people used the n word the same way at times. But then the realised how that actually sounded.

So if you feel there is a distinction then by all means, explain it

if you really think culchie is on a par with calling someone the n-word and you truly believe that nonsense, then what is the point in my trying to reason with you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

GoatBoy74 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true culchie

ah, the C word...

the 7 letter C word

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

bog.... as word for toilet....
    loo.... as word for toilet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ah jaysus are there people saying that culchie is even offensive not even on a par with the most insulting word in common usage. If someone is offended by the word culchie you are a disgrace to everyone from the country, which I am a proud member.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

multiculturalism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

bog.... as word for toilet....
    loo.... as word for toilet....

'Toilet' ... as in word for lavatory.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

ah, the C word...

the 7 letter C word

Is the word coconut

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭TinCanMan

Lookit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Pro nouns
    We must 'prevail'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

God.

None, but REMISS is a possible contender.

Usage should be to apologise for some past error/s of omission. However, anytime it's used it is usually done by the person just before they do give something a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

AIR BRIDGE when talking about COVID-19, gives the impression of hermetically sealed safety and exclusivity which it isn't. Spain in particular will accept pretty much anyone as they rely on tourism so much.
    Do we now have to find a new word for that moveable passageway that takes people from an airport terminal to the plane without having to walk across the tarmac now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Ya'll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

TinCanMan wrote: »
    Lookit
    NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"Simples"

I utterly detest those ads and those who've started to use it in rl as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Ya'll.

I will endeavor to say Yis. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

joeguevara wrote: »
    Ah jaysus are there people saying that culchie is even offensive not even on a par with the most insulting word in common usage. If someone is offended by the word culchie you are a disgrace to everyone from the country, which I am a proud member.

Only a culchie can call another culchie, culchie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Staycation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Unisex

wft just seen a bicycle lock on Amazon that is advertised as being Unisex then spotted Unisex toilet paper.

Get rid of the word because it has become meaningless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Yester wrote: »
    Only a culchie can call another culchie, culchie.

I can't recall hearing this generation using the word culchie maybe their more cosmopolitan than my generation.
    And in regards to only a culchie calling a culchie a culchie well thats a load of bollox.
    So from this jackeen to all my culchie friends in the sticks. Hi Culchies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Misanthropes.

Ye are a pack of misanthropes.

Stop being *****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭amacca

If not mentioned already

Hubby.......****ing hubby.

It makes me die a little inside everyone some otherwise probably reasonably intelligent woman starts talking about her hubby.....

I'm twitching here just typing the word Hubby.

Advertisement