Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft

I'm a lover of German...but come on Kumpels...seriously?

That's quite a statement, but it's not true.

My Mother is my Mum, my wife is Mum/ Mummy to our children, and most of their school friends are Mums to their children too...
    On saying that, we have noticed a bit of MoM creeping into the what's app groups in recent years :cool:

That whole Irish Mammy thing annoys me.
    Hope you're listening Ryan Tubridy.

You’re wrong though. Anyone using Mum in this country is.

Ma, Mam, or Mammy.

Frontline "heroes".

Fair enough for HSE staff actually caring for sick but it is such a throwaway term, even a drain unblocker or a burger flipper at Maccas is a "hero" now.

Definitely that one. Everyone driving a van or frying a few chips thought they were superman. I worked all the way through it myself and I’m as far away from a hero as you’d find.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I don't really think any words should be banned.

But...if I absolutely had to choose one, it would be "copacetic".

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

You’re wrong though. Anyone using Mum in this country is.

Ma, Mam, or Mammy.

Might be a hearing issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't really think any words should be banned.
    Except the name of the guy who burnt down the Temple of Diana on July 21st 356 BC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

The south dublin brigade saying “jars” when referring to meeting up for a few pints

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Oh and also “Your round” even though there’s two words in it.

You really shouldn’t have to be told :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

"Guys...." for both sexes

"Asterix" for this symbol *

"Scripture" OMG

Oh yeh, and "Muppets" to describe anything other than those really CLEVER puppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Seamai wrote: »
    "SO" When using it at the start of of a sentence, when did that become a thing? Tony Holohan and a few of his colleagues at the DOH press briefings seem to be incapable of starting a reply to a question without "So"
    !

Decades ago, in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Toxic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Non-national.

They dont call an Amatuer a "non-professional".
    Dont tell me what it's not, tell me what it is. In this case, a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

"Revert"
    Because no one knows how to use it correctly in a sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Curate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Kunt spelled with a C.

I wish I could erase it from my vocabulary, it really is a horrible word.

But the that's the point, that it is a horrible word.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

America has both with all the variations in between those extremes. Apparently the lighter skinned black people (like the first photo) can experience prejudice from the darker skinned black people.

Got a light skinned friend look like Michael Jackson, got a dark skinned friend look like Michael Jackson.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Hater : nonsense word that gets used and abused ,when one criticises or argues a view that may be unpopular , especially of that view is an informed one .

Salty : do I really need to explain that one ?

There’s a plethora of words that should be not used in sports, especially American sports commentary eg “greatest of all time” , “best ever” ,”my top 10” .... often referring to sports people that have done little to merit the accolades /or such achievements aren’t seriously assessed or the quality of their opponents . UFC and especially Joe Rogan is a hoor for it . Likewise NBA coverage ,it’s hard to listen to

You hear some right crap from American sports commentators.

"That makes the Mets the winningest team this season so far." Just nonsense.

Oftentimes is another stupid one. It's another Americanism that some numpty started using and it spread, depsite the fact that it doesn't stand up when used in a different context. Normally people put it at the start of a sentence e.g.

"Oftentimes I go to the shop and they are sold out of bread"

Try putting it in a question and it just falls flat. Instead of asking:

"How often do you go to the cinema?"

Try

"How oftentimes do you go to the cinema?"

Doesn't quite work, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

But the that's the point, that it is a horrible word.

Kernts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Racist... cause everyone is according to some sections of society. It has lost its value at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The word '' black'' to describe people in US. African Americans are very light skinned compared in reality. Compared to parts of African that have never seen a caucasian person.

9b95089ac96fa80c4062f8c618a0c6e0.jpg

sudanese-model-queen-of-the-dark-nyakim-gatwech-27-5959ef180a5ba__700.jpg

The term African-American is one that I can't agree with either. It's like a black person is automatically "American"

If Paul McGrath, Jonah Lomu, Pele and Paul Pogba were to walk down a street in the US people would describe them as "Four African American individuals"

There's not an American bone in their bodies and they're not African either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Something that people use everyday ....like ...'the' ..it would be so funny...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The term African-American is one that I can't agree with either. It's like a black person is automatically "American"

If Paul McGrath, Jonah Lomu, Pele and Paul Pogba were to walk down a street in the US people would describe them as "Four African American individuals"

There's not an American bone in their bodies and they're not African either.
    Well, Lomu would technically be a zombie!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

^didn't that model face a backlash for blacking-up, / using photoshop to appear darker than she was?

"you have been banned"

biko wrote: »
    "Challenge" when you're too PC to say "Problem".

problematic

problematic

and challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

"Absolutely".

Every fecker seems to use this all the time especially when asked a question on RTE or TV3. I don't think it is so universal in the UK.

Q: The Greens are divided on this.
    A: Absolutely.

Just say "Yes". It seems to have become more prevalent in the last few years or maybe once I noticed it being used all the time I notice it all the more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

The word Hey,when someone is addressing you.I have a name you fcuk-knuckle and it's not Hey.

The word Hey,when someone is addressing you.I have a name you fcuk-knuckle and it's not Hey.

What if they don't know your name?

Also, "hey" is the modern form of "hail", which has been around for centuries if not millennia. It's a very polite form of greeting.

• Advertisement

hard to know which thread in CA to throw this in to, so i'll just put it here...

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/06/scrabble-players-debate-slurs.html
    What started with a call last week for the Scrabble community to support Black Lives Matter led to a proposal by leadership of the North American Scrabble Players Association to eliminate slurs—about 80 in all, plus alternate spellings and inflections, for a total of 238 words—from the master list of words that are permissible in club and tournament play.

“I have felt for a long time that there are some words in our lexicon that we hang onto in the mistaken belief that our spelling them with tiles on a board strips them of their power to cause harm,” NASPA’s chief executive, John Chew, wrote to the group’s 11-member advisory board. “When we play a slur, we are declaring that our desire to score points in a word game is of more value to us than the slur’s broader function as a way to oppress a group of people. I don’t think that this is the time for us to be contributing divisively to the world’s problems.”

The words range from obvious and common aspersions to ones unfamiliar to most people (BOHUNK, HAOLE, CULCHIE) to others they might be surprised to learn have a disparaging meaning (JESUIT, PAPIST). A few don’t always carry a monitory label in dictionaries (GRAYBEARD, JAILBAIT). Some familiar ones didn’t make the list because they have other, inoffensive meanings (BITCH).

Advertisement