Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

"SO" When using it at the start of of a sentence, when did that become a thing? Tony Holohan and a few of his colleagues at the DOH press briefings seem to be incapable of starting a reply to a question without "So"
    I called a company recently and got a recorded message starting "So, you have reached *******& Co." WTF!

Its better than "MOM".

Mummy's a bit precious too, my own mother, hates it, not that pushed on mum either so we always go out of our way to find cards saying Mam or Mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Seamai wrote: »
    Mummy's a bit precious too, my own mother, hates it, not that pushed on mum either so we always go out of our way to find cards saying Mam or Mammy.

Yeah but at least mum, mam, mammy is Irish. When did people here start saying mom ffs. Hey MOM did you see my sneakers and I can't find my sweater. Soda.... soda? Like baking soda? Oh you mean a fizzy drink. Cop on. :confused:

When did all this American sh!te sneak into common parlance here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Cis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

Going forward

In multiple geographies

Ticking all the boxes

All the annoying business phrases that have slipped into real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Barnet. Such an annoying word

Yeah but at least mum, mam, mammy is Irish. When did people here start saying mom ffs. Hey MOM did you see my sneakers and I can't find my sweater. Soda.... soda? Like baking soda? Oh you mean a fizzy drink. Cop on. :confused:

I hate MOM with a vengeance, have a friend from Kerry that uses it, sounds even more ridiculous in a Kerry accent.

It is strange how so many seemingly rational people have such a problem with how someone else refers to or addresses their mother.

It is strange how so many seemingly rational people have such a problem with how someone else refers to or addresses their mother.

Well often it's the mother herself who will dictate what they liked to be called. We always called my grandmothers granny or gran when we got older, some of my cousins started calling one nanny but she was having none of it. She used to say "A nanny is a female goat, they smell, don't call me that"

"Life hack"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Seamai wrote:
    "SO" When using it at the start of of a sentence, when did that become a thing? Tony Holohan and a few of his colleagues at the DOH press briefings seem to be incapable of starting a reply to a question without "So" I called a company recently and got a recorded message starting "So, you have reached *******& Co." WTF!

I do that all the time, I might read a message before sending, if I see the "so" I remove it, annoys me too !

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Cis

Beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Seamai wrote: »
    "SO" When using it at the start of of a sentence, when did that become a thing?

“Become a thing?”

A thing is a physical object. A linguistic concept, in this case the filler “so”, can’t be a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The word '' black'' to describe people in US. African Americans are very light skinned compared in reality. Compared to parts of African that have never seen a caucasian person.

9b95089ac96fa80c4062f8c618a0c6e0.jpg

sudanese-model-queen-of-the-dark-nyakim-gatwech-27-5959ef180a5ba__700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Guesstimate.

You can't have it both ways. Pick one.

Mum is a bit too British.

The word '' black'' to describe people in US. African Americans are very light skinned compared in reality. Compared to parts of African that have never seen a caucasian person.

America has both with all the variations in between those extremes. Apparently the lighter skinned black people (like the first photo) can experience prejudice from the darker skinned black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

America has both with all the variations in between those extremes. Apparently the lighter skinned black people (like the first photo) can experience prejudice from the darker skinned black people.

I think the poster just wanted to post the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

the likes of
    Y'know (GAA speak)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

Yeah, someone described as "high yellow" (fairly sure its a derogatory term btw) is light skinned enough to pass for white but they have black parents/grand parents somewhere in the mix. Its pretty sad because theyre seen as neither black nor white, and so don't fully belong in either community/face racism for it from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Millennials. Detest that word but don’t really know why.

Oh and also “Your round” even though there’s two words in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rosmatt

I use Mom and I am called Mom by my kids because that is the Irish for Mother.

I'm gobsmacked by people who think it's an American thing.

And we do NOT use Mum in Ireland - that's British.

I think the poster just wanted to post the photos.

Well the first lady is pretty stunning (in my opinion) so I won’t complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

influencer

black,
    lives,
    matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Frontline "heroes".

Fair enough for HSE staff actually caring for sick but it is such a throwaway term, even a drain unblocker or a burger flipper at Maccas is a "hero" now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

rosmatt wrote: »
    I use Mom and I am called Mom by my kids because that is the Irish for Mother.

I'm gobsmacked by people who think it's an American thing.

And we do NOT use Mum in Ireland - that's British.

That's quite a statement, but it's not true.

My Mother is my Mum, my wife is Mum/ Mummy to our children, and most of their school friends are Mums to their children too...
    On saying that, we have noticed a bit of MoM creeping into the what's app groups in recent years :cool:

That whole Irish Mammy thing annoys me.
    Hope you're listening Ryan Tubridy.

Frontline "heroes".

Fair enough for HSE staff actually caring for sick but it is such a throwaway term, even a drain unblocker or a burger flipper at Maccas is a "hero" now.

Anyone who works with burgers is a hero in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Challenge" when you're too PC to say "Problem".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭JoannieG

Utilise. What's wrong with "use"?

Advertisement