Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What words should be banned?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

words insulting to disabled people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Women dont like the C word

I know loads of women who have no issue with that word whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

None. No words should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Honky

Gammon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Coalition government,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No words should ever be banned, it's how languages evolve yiz heathens!!!

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

uch wrote: »
    No words should ever be banned, it's how languages evolve yiz heathens!!!

Yiz should definitely be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I know loads of women who have no issue with that word whatsoever.

I think it's a bit hypocritical, women who lambast the c word but would happily call a man a d*ckhead.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Ridiculous. Everything is f'n ridiculous these days. It is played out.

The term culchie is often used in quite a nasty way. No need for it at all. I always cringe when I hear it. If that were happening in another country there would be serious issues raised.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

i have no problem with "mick"
    "paddy"
    "culchie"
    "honkey"
    "whitey"
    "spud muncher"
    and others because I am Irish and like most irish people have an actual sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Welcome.
    No need for it anymore :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Cracker

"paddy"
    "culchie"
    "honkey"
    "whitey"
    "spud muncher"
    and others because I am Irish and like most irish people have an actual sense of humour.

But what about when they are meant in a nasty way? For example, those who might add in 'stupid fn', or 'thick ignorant fn' before it and 'are all the same' afrer it, for no real reason? That isnt humour. Switch in the n word instead and consider how does that sound? Im sure people can use that in a humourous way too, but the reality is they dont get the option because it gets used in a derogatory also. Culchie is actually quite similar in that regard. Paddy less so, which can be meant in a positive way at times. Ive never heard a positive meaning for culchie though.

"paddy"
    "culchie"
    "honkey"
    "whitey"
    "spud muncher"

Ditto.

I once worked for a summer as a copywriter for the people who write ads for the likes of Debenhams. Our boss had a strict ban-list of words, which included words like "unique" and even "very". Even today, when I catch myself using these words I try to think of something else to say.

Everyone should be a copywriter for a summer. It forces you to think about (and criticise) every single word you use, and write with clarity.

So I wouldn't ban any words, necessarily. I'd suggest that people should speak freely, then review their words very cautiously to see whether those words are effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There was a load of dried smegma caked into the gusset of his moist and dank y-fronts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Ending sentences with 'there' .

As in "it's just over there"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I once worked for a summer as a copywriter for the people who write ads for the likes of Debenhams. Our boss had a strict ban-list of words, which included words like "unique" and even "very". Even today, when I catch myself using these words I try to think of something else to say.

Everyone should be a copywriter for a summer. It forces you to think about (and criticise) every single word you use, and write with clarity.

So I wouldn't ban any words, necessarily. I'd suggest that people should speak freely, then review their words very cautiously to see whether those words are effective.

You sure the ban list wasn't for tautology - "very unique" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Every gender description that isnt male or female, if there needs to be a third one attention seeking tool would do it

• Advertisement

Shemale wrote: »
    Every gender description that isnt male or female, if there needs to be a third one attention seeking tool would do it

Agreed. Id also wonder about parents letting their children decide to be one of them. Children need guidance when they are young.
    What if someone wanted to run away and join the circus when they were 7, do the parent dress them as a clown and send them to school? They cant decide these things at that age, they arent physically capable. You really wonder about someone who cant see that being allowed to raise children at all.

What if someone wanted to run away and join the circus when they were 7, do the parent dress them as a clown and send them to school?
    Well, why not?

Well obviously not at the age of seven, but in their teenage years, perhaps.

I have a relative who joined the circus, doing tricks with ponies, and he somehow ended up in the Royal Navy. Believe it or not, it's a regimental life, in the circus. I don't know why people make such a joke of it. It's really hard work.

It's just like sex-identification, people don't just do this for fun, you know.

Well, why not?

Well obviously not at the age of seven, but in their teenage years, perhaps.

I have a relative who joined the circus, doing tricks with ponies, and he somehow ended up in the Royal Navy. Believe it or not, it's a regimental life, in the circus. I don't know why people make such a joke of it. It's really hard work.

It's just like sex-identification, people don't just do this for fun, you know.

Well you are kinda changing the example there. I said 7 because i was referring to young kids who arent mentally capable of making decisions of such magnitude. You say well why not, and then change the age to 'teenage years', which can be 19 - a legal adult.
    They are completely different scenarios.
    Do you think a seven year old understands the regimental lifestyle of the circus? Or that they laughed at the clowns and like animals?

But what about when they are meant in a nasty way? For example, those who might add in 'stupid fn', or 'thick ignorant fn' before it and 'are all the same' afrer it, for no real reason? That isnt humour. Switch in the n word instead and consider how does that sound? Im sure people can use that in a humourous way too, but the reality is they dont get the option because it gets used in a derogatory also. Culchie is actually quite similar in that regard. Paddy less so, which can be meant in a positive way at times. Ive never heard a positive meaning for culchie though.

because a word in never a problem....its the connotations of how its said.

for example someone calling me a mick does not offend me,
    As you said if someone said stupid f'n mick, then I would be annoyed,...but at the part of being called stupid.

Its not the word, its the format in the way its done, in the same way black people use the n word all the time to each other, its not the word. its how the word us use to hurt , imply, ir be derogatory.

As for culchie, if you are from the country you are a culchie, I never see the evil in that, I wish I lived in the country and was a culchie....far away from city people.

My brother moved to the stix a few years back and loves telling me how he is a culchie now and how he loves it. I almost jealous of him

There is no malice in the actual word.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Vita nova

As for culchie, if you are from the country you are a culchie, I never see the evil in that, I wish I lived in the country and was a culchie....far away from city people.

My brother moved to the stix a few years back and loves telling me how he is a culchie now and how he loves it. I almost jealous of him

Disagree, a dictionary definition would be "an unsophisticated country person", it's an Irish version of hick or hillbilly, so one can definitely be from the country without being any of those things. Whatever about malice there is often an implication of backwardness or unsophistication in the word and its usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Its the poor ginger culchie i feel sorry for. Ok i'm discriminating now. I feel sorry for all gingers.

because a word in never a problem....its the connotations of how its said.

for example someone calling me a mick does not offend me,
    As you said if someone said stupid f'n mick, then I would be annoyed,...but at the part of being called stupid.

Its not the word, its the format in the way its done, in the same way black people use the n word all the time to each other, its not the word. its how the word us use to hurt , imply, ir be derogatory.

Funny, you see the comparison with the n word and how some people can use it and some cant. You say the word is never the problem, but I notice you dont use it yourself. Yet you dont see an issue with using the word culchie yourself. Why is there a difference? Genuinely, Im not trying to be smart, there is a different standard at play there. Why? Functionally, they are actually quite similar in connotation, and Im sure there were times when people used the n word in a similar way to the way you are describing that people use the word culchie. However, both by definition, reflect a lower quality of person, so the reality is, it doesnt really matter how you say it, the meaning of it is derogatory.

What you are saying is kinda like calling all people from a city scumb*gs. Regardless of tone or humour, it is still a crappy, almost passive aggressive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

*chefs kiss*.

Stoppit wouldja.

Funny, you see the comparison with the n word and how some people can use it and some cant. You say the word is never the problem, but I notice you dont use it yourself. Yet you dont see an issue with using the word culchie yourself. Why is there a difference? Genuinely, Im not trying to be smart, there is a different standard at play there. Why? Functionally, they are actually quite similar in connotation, and Im sure there were times when people used the n word in a similar way to the way you are describing that people use the word culchie. However, both by definition, reflect a lower quality of person, so the reality is, it doesnt really matter how you say it, the meaning of it is derogatory.

What you are saying is kinda like calling all people from a city scumb*gs. Regardless of tone or humour, it is still a crappy, almost passive aggressive behaviour.

Seriously ?

you are trying to put culchie in the same league as the n word ?

I have heard culchie used in an endearing way, never heard a white person used the n word in the same endearing way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

Muck savage? Anyone??

Advertisement