Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R TT....Round 3 - 10min TT, 10k TT, 10m TT, Saturday July 4th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

I will go for the 10K option. My one and only previous 10K time was 48.45 which hopefully I can improve on ...

M59 10K 47:59

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Isn't the 10 minute technically a "distance" trial? ;-)

I'm looking forward to it, altho no idea how to train for it. Haha. The route selection is also significantly more interesting. Would hate to hit an uphill at 9 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

crisco10 wrote: »
    Isn't the 10 minute technically a "distance" trial? ;-)

I'm looking forward to it, altho no idea how to train for it. Haha. The route selection is also significantly more interesting. Would hate to hit an uphill at 9 mins.

The numbers line up nicely in terms of what I'd love to do, which is effectively 3 km in under 10 minutes. If I don't make 3 km on the day I'll probably keep running until I register a time for it. It should be at worst 10:30 I hope.

Have been taking it relatively easy the last few weeks with only one hard run per week but last night I did my first session aimed at my target pace, which was 4 x 1km @ 3:20/km with 2 minutes rest. I definitely feel I needed the 2 minutes rest especially after the second rep but was happy with the splits 3:19, 3:18, 3:17, 3:16. My route was quite tree lined so that's why I overcooked the pace as the watch lost me quite often.

Plenty of thoughts last night of "how can I possibly maintain that pace for 3 km. 2 km maybe but 3!!". And so the mental games have started in my head. Hit the first km on pace and not too fast, try and gain a second or two in the second and hang on for the third. Whether that's possible will depend on the route.

I'll probably do some shorter distance faster pace sessions next, like 400s and 800s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Am due to race 5k in Mondello on Thurs 2nd - don't think the legs will be in good place for one on the 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Can you take me off the list please. Tendonitis has flared up again, so need to take a break for a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

The numbers line up nicely in terms of what I'd love to do, which is effectively 3 km in under 10 minutes. If I don't make 3 km on the day I'll probably keep running until I register a time for it. It should be at worst 10:30 I hope.

Have been taking it relatively easy the last few weeks with only one hard run per week but last night I did my first session aimed at my target pace, which was 4 x 1km @ 3:20/km with 2 minutes rest. I definitely feel I needed the 2 minutes rest especially after the second rep but was happy with the splits 3:19, 3:18, 3:17, 3:16. My route was quite tree lined so that's why I overcooked the pace as the watch lost me quite often.

Plenty of thoughts last night of "how can I possibly maintain that pace for 3 km. 2 km maybe but 3!!". And so the mental games have started in my head. Hit the first km on pace and not too fast, try and gain a second or two in the second and hang on for the third. Whether that's possible will depend on the route.

I'll probably do some shorter distance faster pace sessions next, like 400s and 800s.

I think thats going to be my strategy as well. 3km is probably beyond me running at my best for 10mins, and the chance of me being my best given the consistency or lack of from my training is fairly hit and miss.

Did a hard (appropriately distanced) 5k TT with some friends on Wed night, we each figured we would finish 30 seconds apart one guy planned a 19:30, me with a 19, and one with an 18:30, so we set off in that order 30seconds apart. I flagged a bit in the mid 3 to 4 km section. and got reeled in by the guy behind me.

Ended up with the two lads almost neck and neck to finish, 1st starter (19:30 prediction) home at 18:48, 3rd started home in 18:04 and I was "last" in 19:06. At least i was closest to my predicted time :D

For me its all about that first km, getting that appropriate level of speed up early but not overcooking it, maybe a few more disciplined shorter reps at that pace may help get the muscle memory in tune with knowing what it should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Can you take me off the list please. Tendonitis has flared up again, so need to take a break for a couple of weeks

No problem. Unfortunately know how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Name |Cat|Event|Prediction|Actual|Adjusted|Sandbag Factor
    MrSkinny|M48|10mins|2,500m||||
    edinrunna|M26|10mins|2,840m||||
    Pherekydes|M60|10mins|2,020m||||
    Career move|F38|10mins|2,500m||||
    Thebitterlemon|M53|10mins|2,500m||||
    Dubh Geannain|M37|10mins|3,001m||||
    Annie get your Run|F49|10mins|2,000m||||
    Murph_D|M59|10k|44:59||||
    Shotgunmcos|M42|10k|39:59||||
    OOnegative|M41|10k|38.58||||
    DeepBlue|M49|10k|43:54||||
    healy1835|M39|10miles|59:41||||
    Treviso|M41|10miles|64.59||||
    Diablo Verde|M39|10miles|61:17||||
    Lazare|M44|10miles|69:00||||
    spc78|M42|10miles|59:10||||
    skyblue|M53|TBC|TBC||||
    Swashbuckler|M38|TBC|TBC||||
    66_Lad|M40|10miles|TBC||||
    ClashCityRocker|M35|10miles|59:59||||
    blackbird86|F37|10k|54:59||||
    Laineyfrecks|F42|10k|43:10||||
    Hannibal_Smith|F43|10k|TBC||||
    pansophelia|F40|10k|54:59||||
    crisco10|M34|10mins|2,800m||||
    diego_b|M38|10k|45:00||||
    MisterJinx|M43|10mins|2,800m||||
    coogy|M47|10k|TBC||||
    Baby75|F44|10k|57:50||||
    Speedy44|M55|10mins|2,600m||||
    AuldManKing|M47|TBC|TBC||||
    Rizzee|M29|TBC|TBC||||
    Wubble Wubble|M47|10mins|2,501m||||
    Lambay Island|M39|TBC|TBC||||
    Omeceron|M39|10k|49:00||||
    CR 7|M31|10k|39:45||||
    outforarun|M47|10k|38:29||||
    ReeReeG|F34|10k|44:59||||
    Hedgehoggy|F37|10mins|2,410m||||
    jamule|M45|TBC|TBC||||
    Enpassant|M59|10K|47:59||||
    Reality_Check|M33|10k|54:59||||

Updated table.
    Removed lenny palmer
    Added Enpassant, Reality_Check
    Reduced my own target to 39:59... currently injured so it may yet be a DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Did a 10k TT this morning. Was happy with how it went but the suffering lasted so much longer than the previous TTs. Not sure how I will manage the 10 mile TT!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

2. I haven't a hope of racing a 10k but I have a 70min half easy - half tempo run that weekend, and would stop me wussing out during the tempo bit. :o

Either I'm gone mad or Garmin is winding me up... This run has totally changed on my plan. I wonder did it go... 'No way you're capable of that love, wind yourself back in there' :pac:

I cut my run short on Sun, did it think I wasn't able and rejig itself?

I'll stick to the original plan anyhow, but I didn't realise the plan changed like that.

• Advertisement

Thread still very quiet. Pop Up races must be turning a few heads.

Didn't quite follow through on doing faster paced stuff but it was a shorter distance at least. No harm as a 3 k pace is new to me so I need tuning in. For, my second session last week I did 12x400s @ 3k pace with 1 minute recovery so times of 77-80 seconds on a breezy day.

No LSR on Sunday. I decided on a 10k TT instead simply because I'm in as good a shape as I have been and just to see what I'd manage. Didn't result in any soreness or serious fatigue going into this week thankfully.

This week. 1 session of 20x(40s/30s) Intervals with the hard efforts targeted at just above 3 k pace. Missed the pace on 3 or 4 of them I think. This was the toughest session I've done in a while. Legs good and bxxxxxed today. If they recover enough I'm definitely doing faster paced stuff next. I owe myself an 800m TT too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭edinrunna

What time did you do in the 10k time trial? :)

I'd no relevant PB to compare against so was thinking I'd be in the 38 something range. A bit of a shock to run 37:07.

The McMillan calculator predicts a 3 km time of 10:10 based on that. It does mismatch my current mile time by about 10 seconds though so... Basically it looks like I'm in for another nailbiter trying to crack these round numbers ;)

1 week to go, time doesn't be long ticking by, does it!?

I won't bore (log already does that!) with the details but I've been doing bits and bobs, and a bit like yourself Dubh G, I'm in some of the best shape I've ever been thanks to the consistency of Covid. (lucky me, I acknowledge)

10 minute TT, who knows though! I'll need to figure out a "strategy" late next week..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

i'm going to have to pull out of this. Strained my calf, it's on the mend but with my complete inability to pace myself I know i would go out full tilt and don't want to put that much stress on it so soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Can I be reassigned to the 10min challenge, turns out running a 10k TT on your wedding anniversary is frowned upon, who would have thought!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Can I be reassigned to the 10min challenge, turns out running a 10k TT on your wedding anniversary is frowned upon, who would have thought!!

But, wedding anniversaries happen every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Isn’t 4th July Independence Day :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Maybe not as much buzz because folks are training for different distances?

Have been doing a few mile specific sessions for the last couple of weeks so hoping for some improvement on the previous one but I'm having some issues with the leg I broke last year, possibility hill related. Anyway, looking forward to next week and seeing if I can meet the planned target!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:

Need to save the sweating for later in the evening I guess ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Whinge Alert

I'm battered and bruised. In body and mind :pac: Our house was raided by Gardai last week and yesterday I had a disagreement with the bathroom floor as it flew out from under me :o

I'm so all over the camp I haven't picked a route yet. I don't want hills... well I dont want to be a total wuss and avoid them altogether, but I really don't want them in the second half and they're so big around here! I was going to do the local parkrun route, but apparently there's a weirdo hanging around in the bushes trying to grab kids. Although I certainly couldn't be mistaken for a child (except perhaps in height :D) the way my luck is going I'm not taking any chances :eek:

I have a vague idea of where I might go, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not one of those that can 'smash it' despite adversity. I just hope I can try harder than I planned and finish up happy I did all I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Can you put me down for 10 mins please also. I'll aim for 3km. Thanks

Need to save the sweating for later in the evening I guess ;)

Easy........

Isn’t 4th July Independence Day :)

TbL

Ironic I know, I refer to it as “The day my Independence was taken away”.

I'm battered and bruised. In body and mind Our house was raided by Gardai last week and yesterday I had a disagreement with the bathroom floor as it flew out from under me

You can't seriously throw that out there without telling us why it was raided!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Where's the under the thumb emoji on this site? :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Where's the under the thumb emoji on this site? :D

I could really bite back at that one but I won’t.....

OOnegative wrote:
    I could really bite back at that one but I won’t.....

Saving the energy for the night of July 4th eh?

Saving the energy for the night of July 4th eh?

Just cause you only get the night of your anniversary, don’t presume we’re all the same!!!

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    Just cause you only get the night of your anniversary, don’t presume we’re all the same!!!

Hey...... My birthday too.....

Advertisement