Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

I think their commentators are terrible. But I do enjoy Kerr and Souness.

Agree about the commentators. I don't mind Trevor, but the guy that's also on the bbc who's name I have forgotten. I can't stand the sound of his voice.

As for RTE, I was hoping Joanne Cantwell would get the gig after Bill retired. She was very impressive when she filled in before getting the GAA gig. But it was always going to be Darragh. It's RTE and it was his turn basically.

Acosta wrote: »
    Agree about the commentators. I don't mind Trevor, but the guy that's also on the bbc who's name I have forgotten. I can't stand the sound of his voice.

As for RTE, I was hoping Joanne Cantwell would get the gig after Bill retired. She was very impressive when she filled in before getting the GAA gig. But it was always going to be Darragh. It's RTE and it was his turn basically.

Jonathan Pearce? He’s terrible but I always find his Helen Lovejoy overreaction to Cantona hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Acosta

Jonathan Pearce? He’s terrible but I always find his Helen Lovejoy overreaction to Cantona hilarious.

Conor McNamara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Conor McNamara

His fake accent is a disgrace. The man who famously called Kenny Cunningham - Cunny Kenningham

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Hippo wrote: »
    Maybe it's a lockdown thing, but the amount of times Murph says "y'know" in a Ger Gilroy-length question is beginning to get to me.

That and Ken’s overuse of the word “like”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Jim Root wrote: »
    That and Ken’s overuse of the word “like”

Pay attention to how many times he says "d'ya know what I mean".

Pearce is a terrible commentator, but what makes him hard to put up with - the pomposity, the overwrought melodramatics, sudden fever pitch delivery - helped make that Cantona commentary so glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be fair, Darragh is pretty good. I do like Joanne, she has done a few LOI games/Soccer Republics and she was a lot more knowledgeable than Peter Collins. There is a ridiculous amount of abuse for her online though whenever she is on one of the sports shows. A fair amount of it has a sexist sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Darragh Maloney & the kid from Jerry Maguire. The greatest pair of look a likes ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pow_pow

Does anyone else get angsty when they don't have the pod out before lunch?
    I can't enjoy my lunch break as much when I'm sat there refreshing the feed in anticipation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

healy1835 wrote: »
    Darragh Maloney & the kid from Jerry Maguire. The greatest pair of look a likes ever.

Trevor Steven used to be on RTE fairly regularly but hasnt been around in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Have to say Ken completely bored the hole off me today. First time in a long time I had to skip it forward. Painful at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can't believe it's the last week of the isolation podcast.

It's one of those things I know already, I'm really, really going to miss.

I'd love it if they got him to do the odd podcast every now and then. Or, dare I say it, a semi regular pod, once a month or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I like David Snyed but I hope he's not back on talking about Premier League football again, contributed nothing but negativity today.

Some of the reaction to the weekend's matches you'd think there was never a bad game of football before when there was fans. Probably a topic for a different thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Nokotan wrote: »
    I like David Snyed but I hope he's not back on talking about Premier League football again, contributed nothing but negativity today.

Some of the reaction to the weekend's matches you'd think there was never a bad game of football before when there was fans. Probably a topic for a different thread though.

He was a real misery gut today for sure. Poor listening experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

They really got bogged down talking about Roy Keane today. David Sneyd should be kept for discussing Irish football matters, which he's very good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dante

I was just waiting for him to throw out the obligatory 'give me the League of Ireland over this anyday' comment....thought I was going to be left disappointed but he came up with the goods right at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Is that the lad who goes on about Bohs being sort of like the hip 'punk rock' LOI club? real Emmet Kirwan type if so!

He's generally pretty decent anytime they have him on, but today was an off day. He seemed strangely surprised that games played in empty stadiums felt different to games played in front of tens of thousands of fans.

Ken was obviously reading the thread on reddit that listed Arsenal's stupid defeats going back to 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

First Monday podcast back with the premier league and it was very poor. I'd agree, keep Sneyd for League of Ireland and the national team

We all know football without fans isn't the same. Mention it and move on rather than bang on about it how crap it is

There were some brilliant goals this past week. It hasn't been all bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

To be fair to David Sneyd, it seems like Ken feels the exact same. It is like he doesn't really even want to watch the games but has to just for work.

Does anyone else have any Second Captains bits they say during a normal day?

I find myself saying Tomas O'Se's "Shcumbag" at least four times a day, sometimes for absolutely no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

I find myself saying Tomas O'Se's "Shcumbag" at least four times a day, sometimes for absolutely no reason.

I keep calling my newborn son "A crying big baby" in a Nigerian accent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Lidl, Don Cheadle, Brad Freidel.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Vintage Ken on anti vax Djokovic and Lovren.

“Time’s up Bill”.

deisedude wrote: »

I read that in the accent in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dante

I've been regularly using the line bingo bango, jobs a goodun since Ken dropped it on the pod last year. Its so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Bingo, bango job's a good'un
    Cheap shot x4
    Then maybe you shouldn't be living here!
    He's just a crying, big baby
    and basically everything the Kilmarnock fan says in the angry fan remix... They've all slipped into my everyday conversations over the last few years :)

deisedude wrote: »

Brilliant, same as another poster, can't read that without the accent

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

"I wouldn't necessarily agree with anything <friend> says about <topic>"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement