Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

kksaints wrote: »
    The Wexford case is interesting for a few reasons. One is that in some ways its possibly better to try and run your club championship off as quickly as possible and having a few weeks to spare in case a team needs to quarantine so having a spare week or two at the end of the club window may be an advantage.

However, it looks very obvious that this is more of a case to run off the club championship as quickly as possible to give the county panel more time to train together which would be a mistake imo but would Wexford people really care about the club championship if it increases their chances of winning the All-Ireland, probably not.

There’s been a calendar laid out so even if they finish the club they shouldn’t be allowed any inter county until a set date. And out of the championship if it’s broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭kksaints

There’s been a calendar laid out so even if they finish the club they shouldn’t be allowed any inter county until a set date. And out of the championship if it’s broken.

I'd agree but lets face it the rules the GAA makes are rarely respected with regards to county team training and if they are punished its appealed to the end and is almost also overturned. Plus imagine the uproar if the GAA tried to ban a county from the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

They probably have another visit to Davy's villa in Portugal arranged. And they'll be damned if that goes to waste.

kksaints wrote: »
    I'd agree but lets face it the rules the GAA makes are rarely respected with regards to county team training and if they are punished its appealed to the end and is almost also overturned. Plus imagine the uproar if the GAA tried to ban a county from the championship.

That’s why it’s time to make a stand. Clubs should shut up shop until it’s really addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Not a surprise to see Wexford in the spotlight while Davy is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't understand the clamour for championship games. The spectacle and event is greatly diminished anyway due to the number of spectators allowed.
    Can we not for once do something right by prioritising the clubs and finishing the league so promotion and demotion can be resolved. There is no knock on effect to not having a championship this year. There is huge implications if the two competitions mentioned above are sacrificed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Don't think anyone is talking about sacrificing club championships least I hope not.

Implications of not playing IC championship

-First time not finished in 130 years, no all Ireland champions
    -The current pool of players get one less year in their prime to test whether they are the best...the reason they make the sacrifices they do
    -No more inter County hurling games for Tipp, Dublin, Laois, Cork, Offaly etc for 2020
    -There will definitely be a financial impact to it
    -The fans (and this is bottom of the pile by the way) not getting to witness a championship this year. Theres still a possibility we could see large crowds in October, nobody knows.

Now tell me what are the huge implications of not playing the league are? 6 times it has not been played since it's inception, 30 after the championship which has only not been finished once. Fine its been started, if the O'Byrne Cup had been started first would we be saying delay the championship we have to finish that?

I'd say Allianz have a lot to do with this push for a conclusion of the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Don't think anyone is talking about sacrificing club championships least I hope not.

-The current pool of players get one less year in their prime to test whether they are the best...the reason they make the sacrifices they do
    -No more inter County hurling games for Tipp, Dublin, Laois, Cork, Offaly etc for 2020
    -The fans (and this is bottom of the pile by the way) not getting to witness a championship this year. Theres still a possibility we could see large crowds in October, nobody knows.

Now tell me what are the huge implications of not playing the league are? 6 times it has not been played since it's inception, 30 after the championship which has only not been finished once. Fine its been started, if the O'Byrne Cup had been started first would we be saying delay the championship we have to finish that?

The re-introduction of the B All Ireland (Tailteann Cup,) would be one of the prime reasons why HQ are keen for years league to reach its conclusion.

The re-introduction of the B All Ireland (Tailteann Cup,) would be one of the prime reasons why HQ are keen for years league to reach its conclusion.

I mean, given everything that's gone on, could we not postpone that a year? D'you think if this was 2007 this happened, they'd have delayed the Championship to accommodate a league qualifier system for the Christy Ring Cup in its inaugural year?

I mean, given everything that's gone on, could we not postpone that a year? D'you think if this was 2007 this happened, they'd have delayed the Championship to accommodate a league qualifier system for the Christy Ring Cup in its inaugural year?

That’s Horans little pet project. When such a stupid idea is forced through then you can be sure they won’t drop it too easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭conor05

Agreed. Horan is hell bent on getting the Lower Tier Tailteann Cup pushed through for the weaker football counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

That would be my biggest argument in favour of having a championship. It is particularly hard on older players who might have decided to give it one more year in 2020. To counter the argument, I am not convinced you will see the best of the players with such little lead-in time to prepare for a championship. But how do you give them more time? It brings us back to the club v county debate. Already, we are hearing about issues in numerous counties where they are trying to condense the club c'ship to facilitate the inter county team. And if one county are doing it, then their rival will feel they have to do it etc.

My argument for the league is that it can be done in 2 / 3 rounds. Most counties will be meeting in November for 2021 anyway and arranging challenges. I am sure league matches would be better than challenges for their 2021 preparation. If crowds are allowed at that stage, have a Christmas league final. If not, place teams according to group positions. Then we start new in 2021

It just feels right to give the clubs the space to complete their competitions. I am not sure counties playing their club c'ship over a couple of weeks to facilitate the county team is beneficial in the long run. Also, if county X does that, County Y will feel they should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That would be my biggest argument in favour of having a championship. It is particularly hard on older players who might have decided to give it one more year in 2020. To counter the argument, I am not convinced you will see the best of the players with such little lead-in time to prepare for a championship. But how do you give them more time? It brings us back to the club v county debate. Already, we are hearing about issues in numerous counties where they are trying to condense the club c'ship to facilitate the inter county team. And if one county are doing it, then their rival will feel they have to do it etc.

My argument for the league is that it can be done in 2 / 3 rounds. Most counties will be meeting in November for 2021 anyway and arranging challenges. I am sure league matches would be better than challenges for their 2021 preparation. If crowds are allowed at that stage, have a Christmas league final. If not, place teams according to group positions. Then we start new in 2021

It just feels right to give the clubs the space to complete their competitions. I am not sure counties playing their club c'ship over a couple of weeks to facilitate the county team is beneficial in the long run. Also, if county X does that, County Y will feel they should do it.
    what exactly would make these postponed league games better than friendlies in november/December time. As that stage if no games had been played players would simply treat these deferred league games just like any friendlies at that time and they'd just be prep for 2021s competitions.
    The very obvious solution is to stop counties holding up all main club competitions because the inter county team is still playing. Put in a proper season structure but that will never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

what exactly would make these postponed league games better than friendlies in november/December time. As that stage if no games had been played players would simply treat these deferred league games just like any friendlies at that time and they'd just be prep for 2021s competitions.
    The very obvious solution is to stop counties holding up all main club competitions because the inter county team is still playing. Put in a proper season structure but that will never happen

No, because they have something to play for. e.g. Mayo are battling for relegation in D1.

The proper structure would make sense. But like you, I have no faith in that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No, because they have something to play for. e.g. Mayo are battling for relegation in D1.
    just playing these league games then would make a mockery of the whole structure as you would then have inter county players in full training mode from well before those games straight thru to the 2021 season. You would be far better in long and short term to null and void this years league than do that

A big problem we have in GAA is the elongated season with no games. Would you rather train for six months with 3 championship games interspersed, or train for 6 weeks and play 3 games? No brainer for me, time to rethink how we do things.

Any further news on the mess in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Any further news on the mess in Wexford?

Nothing in the public sphere anyway. I assume because its the weekend. The local paper will be out on Tuesday, and I can hazard a guess that the letter will be transcribed word for word and the issue will be debated, especially from a fella who has a weekly column that quite often criticises the county board. What will happen then is the chairman will release a statement that will condemn the criticism, but won't address the issue at hand. Because he hates bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm delighted that club matches are starting back at the end of July as I play a little (low level)myself but I'm a bit confused by it all. Professional soccer in England is starting back this week and there will be no fans, no celebrations (I think) and lots of testing. A mini Irish soccer league is starting in July under same conditions. Amateur club GAA is starting just a few weeks later and I haven't heard anything on any crowd restrictions, any testing, anything about distancing. Now I'm not against it, at the moment it seems we have next to zero of the virus transferring in the community, but I just don't think everyone adds up from going to one extreme to the other in just a couple of weeks.

Sorry if I missed any of this already discussed but I had a read through and didn't see any details on how this is planned to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 15,071 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Klonker wrote: »
    I'm delighted that club matches are starting back at the end of July as I play a little (low level)myself but I'm a bit confused by it all. Professional soccer in England is starting back this week and there will be no fans, no celebrations (I think) and lots of testing. A mini Irish soccer league is starting in July under same conditions. Amateur club GAA is starting just a few weeks later and I haven't heard anything on any crowd restrictions, any testing, anything about distancing. Now I'm not against it, at the moment it seems we have next to zero of the virus transferring in the community, but I just don't think everyone adds up from going to one extreme to the other in just a couple of weeks.

Sorry if I missed any of this already discussed but I had a read through and didn't see any details on how this is planned to be done
    The GAA have issued their own guidelines for a return to training and games.

These include groups of 10 training together at social distance from June 29th to July 23rd.
    After July 23rd normal training can resume.
    All equipment has to be washed and sanitized before and after training.
    All temperatures have to be taken at entry to training and anyone with over 37.5 has to be turned away.
    All players must arrive individually, no car pooling.
    I'm not sure of the social distancing regulations for onlookers during games when they start but I'm sure they are extensive.

I'm involved with the underage setup in my club and it's going to be a big job implementing the above but we will do it.

One cannot expect club GAA to do extensive testing like professional soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,146 ✭✭✭✭km79

The GAA have issued their own guidelines for a return to training and games.

These include groups of 10 training together at social distance from June 29th to July 23rd.
    After July 23rd normal training can resume.
    All equipment has to be washed and sanitized before and after training.
    All temperatures have to be taken at entry to training and anyone with over 37.5 has to be turned away.
    All players must arrive individually, no car pooling.
    I'm not sure of the social distancing regulations for onlookers during games when they start but I'm sure they are extensive.

I'm involved with the underage setup in my club and it's going to be a big job implementing the above but we will do it.

Mayo GAA sent out guidelines to clubs (and on twitter ) advising that temp check would be the responsibility of the individual themselves (and for children it will be up to their parents ) . So clubs will not have to take care of this aspect .
    Takes a lot of pressure off the clubs
    But could lead to problems ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

km79 wrote: »
    Mayo GAA sent out guidelines to clubs (and on twitter ) advising that temp check would be the responsibility of the individual themselves (and for children it will be up to their parents ) . So clubs will not have to take care of this aspect .

Huge problems, If a player is running a fever the morning of a big championship match will they rule themselves out of the game or turn a blind eye to it. Leaving it up to the players is madness in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,071 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

km79 wrote: »

Actually yeah, I just re-read it.

"COVID supervisor to ensure temperature of all team participants is recorded...."

So it does not actually specify that the COVID supervisor has to take the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

almostover wrote: »
    Huge problems, If a player is running a fever the morning of a big championship match will they rule themselves out of the game or turn a blind eye to it. Leaving it up to the players is madness in my opinion.

While it makes perfect sense to enforce the rules externally instead of leaving it up to the player, and I agree with you both mathematically and psychologically (it's not fair on the players to get them to make the call), but:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

almostover wrote: »

To be honest if a player is running a fever id doubt he's going to be much good anyways. But yes this is open to players giving false temps.

If it was done by the club and the star county player shows up with a bit of a high temp id doubt any manager is going to say sorry buddy you need to go home more likely he just gets a bit of cold water from the magic bottle and away he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kinda off-topic - But generally season-on-season, is there an Intermediate Intercounty Championship every year for Football?

Can't find anything on it anywhere - Same with province championships at that level

callaway92 wrote: »
    Kinda off-topic - But generally season-on-season, is there an Intermediate Intercounty Championship every year for Football?

Can't find anything on it anywhere - Same with province championships at that level

Junior in football, Intermediate in hurling. Only two grades, I think the hurling has been wound up pretty much last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

They are rowing back on requiring temperature checks because ther are too many variables.
    An adult could have taken Paracetamol for example (like what was happening in the meat plants) or a parent could give a child Calpol or similar. That renders temp checks useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

phases been changed once again with possibly 5000 outdoor crowds been permitted in September/October

going in the right direction and we could have championships this year. Feck the begrudgers i want them to take place no matter what time of the year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

So when can counties can start club championships?

Advertisement