Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

So do we think it will go back to the old way with provincial champions straight into an AI Semi final? One big side in Donegal or Tyrone gone after one match.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

henke wrote: »
    So do we think it will go back to the old way with provincial champions straight into an AI Semi final? One big side in Donegal or Tyrone gone after one match.

I think it will be straight knockout EXCEPT losing provincial finalists will play one of the other provinces winners in the quarter finals . Provincial winners to have home advantage . Except dublin . They will have to use croke park

Sorry I couldn’t resist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

km79 wrote: »
    I think it will be straight knockout EXCEPT losing provincial finalists will play one of the other provinces winners in the quarter finals . Provincial winners to have home advantage . Except dublin . They will have to use croke park

Sorry I couldn’t resist :D

With limited or no crowds they might actually finally be able to get the perk of using their home venue :D. No more been pushed into Croke Park to cater for their large support.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Can't understand why the Government say that groups of 15 can train from 8th June once socially distant , yet the GAA say 29th June and even then only 10 people.
    Are the GAA being overcautious for a reason ?
    As an underage coach every week there's less and less at the Zoom sessions and we will lose kids even with that extra 3 weeks.

This is where i think a bit of confusion is going to occur, 6 non GAA people turn up at a walkway around a few pitches which is within government plans but the GAA volunteer says sorry only 4 allowed also 15 players can get together and "train" in a park area or community pitch but not on the Gaa pitch. I really think the government by changing their road-map have made a small mess of some of the GAA plans. Government now are only going with a 4 phase plan where as the GAA are still on the 5 phases

Will the GAA make a revision to there plan, they do say that there plan is to mirror the governments and that dates were changeable. suppose the only real change would be to open the pitches next week.

What do people think of the Temperature readings been taken before training will the players be trusted to do it themselves at home and give the correct readings. More then likely id say this will have to be done by the club on arrival.

On the underage situation I think they could let them back training in small pods because from what I'm seeing around my area is the local kids are playing together and hanging out in large numbers anyways. Maybe up to U16s.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think football is actually 33 'counties' (+New York, +London, -Kilkenny) - so I guess one preliminary round...

Not a hope New York are getting an outing this year. London as unlikely.

Just give the reigning all Ireland champions a bye into round 2 in that case. Done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ericcarvman

Glad to see some encouraging news yesterday re a return to GAA! Temperature taking before training could be interesting before a Tuesday evening fitness session, few lads be blasting the car heating on the way into the pitch

Be a good time to split the 16 Senior and 16 Intermediate the way it should have been done. Play the rounds simultaneously each weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Choochtown

pdiddy wrote: »
    This is where i think a bit of confusion is going to occur, 6 non GAA people turn up at a walkway around a few pitches which is within government plans but the GAA volunteer says sorry only 4 allowed also 15 players can get together and "train" in a park area or community pitch but not on the Gaa pitch. I really think the government by changing their road-map have made a small mess of some of the GAA plans. Government now are only going with a 4 phase plan where as the GAA are still on the 5 phases

Will the GAA make a revision to there plan, they do say that there plan is to mirror the governments and that dates were changeable. suppose the only real change would be to open the pitches next week.

What do people think of the Temperature readings been taken before training will the players be trusted to do it themselves at home and give the correct readings. More then likely id say this will have to be done by the club on arrival.

On the underage situation I think they could let them back training in small pods because from what I'm seeing around my area is the local kids are playing together and hanging out in large numbers anyways. Maybe up to U16s.

GAA are very out of step here. I wonder is it something to do with insurance claims? Players will not be covered under the GAA insurance scheme until 29th June. Is this purely to save money?
    It seems daft that a GAA team can get together on Monday in a group of 15 and train as long as it is not on a GAA pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Choochtown wrote: »
    GAA are very out of step here. I wonder is it something to do with insurance claims? Players will not be covered under the GAA insurance scheme until 29th June. Is this purely to save money?
    It seems daft that a GAA team can get together on Monday in a group of 15 and train as long as it is not on a GAA pitch

My own club have come out today with a statement to clarify that there is to be no training until 29th June whether on club grounds or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭threeball

Top brass making a pigs ear of this as usual. IC should be knocked on the head this year. Its a drain on the resources if theres no crowds.

Kids should be back first. A good test of the theory they are unlikely to transfer the virus and give some confidence to opening schools down the line.

Juveniles and Adults back training in small groups and distance working on skills and fitness. With a plan to start the games in a month if the R value is maintained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

threeball wrote: »
    Top brass making a pigs ear of this as usual. IC should be knocked on the head this year. Its a drain on the resources if theres no crowds.

Kids should be back first. A good test of the theory they are unlikely to transfer the virus and give some confidence to opening schools down the line.

Juveniles and Adults back training in small groups and distance working on skills and fitness. With a plan to start the games in a month if the R value is maintained.

Think they are hopeful there will be crowds come autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Most people would like to see the Inter county played. Every other sport seems to be getting their flagship competitions up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Most people would like to see the Inter county played. Every other sport seems to be getting their flagship competitions up and running.

The GAA, as an amateur body, probably has a more difficult task than most because their players will return to families, workplaces and the task of contact tracing becomes more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

My own club have come out today with a statement to clarify that there is to be no training until 29th June whether on club grounds or not .

To be honest I don't think they can stop 15 lads from getting together in their free time and doing what they want if its in line with government rules. Obviously it cant be organised via the usual club means and would doubt any coaches would be involved.

Over the the last few weeks Ive seen plenty of Intercounty lads in groups of 3/4 doing running/sprinting drills in a community rugby/soccer pitch beside where i work, cant imagine this is going to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Seen a great point on twitter within my own county Tyrone -

“there will be no concerts, festivals, limited travel abroad and it's been a weird/tough time for many. In the name of maximum enjoyment and participation I have two words for you as you plan for the return of club football... "Saturday Evening".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Seen a great point on twitter within my own county Tyrone -

“there will be no concerts, festivals, limited travel abroad and it's been a weird/tough time for many. In the name of maximum enjoyment and participation I have two words for you as you plan for the return of club football... "Saturday Evening".

I'm not sure I follow?

BloodyBill wrote: »

Those flagship competitions make the bulk of their money through tv deals. Gaa makes paltry amounts in comparison from tv. IC wouldnt even cover its costs this year and so should be shelved. How can the association justify spending millions for team preparation and taking in next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm not sure I follow?

play the saturday evenings rather than sunday afternoon i guess.

Can people go to club games? Clubs need to work out ways to make sure the people who always went still get in instead of the summer glory hunters that are bored.

It means don’t ruin lads weekends having the game on sundays at 3:30/4pm. Effectively cancelling out any weekend plans if lads want to go away with family for the day on a Sunday or have a few drinks (or a late night out with no drink) on a Saturday night.

They should have changed this ages ago, it’s an amateur sport. The reserve /junior players suffer as bad in my opinion. Training all week as hard as the senior team and then on a Sunday the other team has no seconds with them or the game gets called off. Have them games on Friday nights or Saturday evenings as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

With probably a limited amount of venues and all championships for every age compressed into a short time frame, having games exclusively on a Saturday evening is probably unlikely.

Theoretically, if more people are based locally at the moment it might open up the proposition of midweek games which would enable County boards to create emergency championship structures that actually enables a non-knockout format (back door style I guess) where the players get more than one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Television rights money from RTE and SKY is €11 million a year.

There's probably a few million more in terms of sponsorship money from the 6 championship sponsors.

There is the possibility that by the time intercounty is back on 17th October (more than 4 months from now) crowds will be allowed at intercounty games.

There was no way the GAA were going to cancel intercounty action this year.

In terms of the league I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the league ended up being finished next year given the way the calendar is looking.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Television rights money from RTE and SKY is €11 million a year.

There's probably a few million more in terms of sponsorship money from the 6 championship sponsors.

There is the possibility that by the time intercounty is back on 17th October (more than 4 months from now) crowds will be allowed at intercounty games.

There was no way the GAA were going to cancel intercounty action this year.

In terms of the league I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the league ended up being finished next year given the way the calendar is looking.

Its €11 million if the competition is played when it was supposed to be. I'm sure those contracts have stipulations regarding timing and penalties that are associated. Look at the premiership deal, a £750m fine for not completing on time. Sky only use GAA as filler and to keep the Irish subs signed up in the summer. They have no interest in GAA in October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Its €11 million if the competition is played when it was supposed to be. I'm sure those contracts have stipulations regarding timing and penalties that are associated. Look at the premiership deal, a £750m fine for not completing on time. Sky only use GAA as filler and to keep the Irish subs signed up in the summer. They have no interest in GAA in October/November.
    That’s true to be fair
    It will be on sky sports 8 during the premier league and rugby seasons !!!
    Might mean an end to stupid late throw in times for players and supporters though !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

km79 wrote: »
    That’s true to be fair
    It will be on sky sports 8 during the premier league and rugby seasons !!!
    Might mean an end to stupid late throw in times for players and supporters though !

Saturday evening games are about the best thing that's been brought into the GAA in recent times and hopefully something we see more and more of.

Players adore them btw, by and large

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

As a player I always preferred afternoon games than evening games. The same as a spectator. Games are much better when played in daylight than in floodlights, for players and for spectators - in hurling anyway.

No real note from clubs yet either to say whether junior / reserve football will be going ahead this year. At least let lads know if they should bother their arse doing training to get upto fitness or if it will be in vain. With the amount of teams in some clubs it might prove difficult getting matches for all teams at all age levels . You’d imagine youth and ladies will take precedence over a /2Nd / 3rd / 4th men’s team and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,780 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Intercounty teams more likely going straight from been knocked out of the 2020 championship to pre season for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Hearing my own county (Roscommon) is going with championship only with no league at all. Same format and teams in groups as drawn earlier in year. So 3 groups of 4 in 12 team championship. No league at all. Hadn't started prior to Covid. Really think we could do something like what I believe Louth are doing - split league divisions in 2 sections, 5 teams in each. 4 league games for each club. Just championship is better than nothing naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

CBear1993 wrote: »
    It means don’t ruin lads weekends having the game on sundays at 3:30/4pm. Effectively cancelling out any weekend plans if lads want to go away with family for the day on a Sunday or have a few drinks (or a late night out with no drink) on a Saturday night.

They should have changed this ages ago, it’s an amateur sport. The reserve /junior players suffer as bad in my opinion. Training all week as hard as the senior team and then on a Sunday the other team has no seconds with them or the game gets called off. Have them games on Friday nights or Saturday evenings as well

While I understand the point you are making, there is a difficulty with this. A lot of rural clubs have to deal with players not being available for training during the week (working in Dublin, away in college etc.). Therefore, the only opportunity to have them train is at the weekend. By having a Sunday game, it means you can at least have them part of light training on Friday evening. A Saturday game rules out Friday training. And this makes a difference, particularly for smaller clubs who struggle for numbers. If players are constantly seeing low numbers at training, it saps morale. You also have the problem of these away based players having to rush home on a Friday evening to be there in time for a match which is hardly ideal. With training, there can be a bit more leeway given.

I think a mixture of Friday, Saturday & Sunday games is the best approach.

Advertisement