Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can we have some fcuking control on the airports from high risk countries please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Too much hysterics.

Nobody wants to travel to a different country at the minute. Brits aren't going to be flying en mass for holidays. They are out of work too and or are facing uncertainty . Its similar in every country.

Countries can re open if they wish. Airlines can say they are flying again. Doesn't mean people are going to go anywhere.

Airlines going bankrupt and panicking .

The two British in New Zealand were let out of quarantine early despite one even showing mild symptoms. That's on the new Zealand authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

We need to buid some concentration camps for people coming into Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

gral6 wrote: »
    We need to buid some concentration camps for people coming into Ireland !

We have them, direct provision centres.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

con747 wrote: »
    We have them, direct provision centres.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensheep777

con747 wrote: »
    You have a habit of replying to your own posts:confused:

Forgets to log out of her alt account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If the airlines go bust, they go bust. The market for airtravel will still be there, the pilots and flight attendants will still be qualified, and the planes will just need a new lick of paint for their new company logos.

I won't be shedding tears for Airline Shareholders. If an average person invests 50k into his own start up business, it fails, goes bust, we don't government running around frantically trying to bail the guy out. If he invested 50k in marketshares, government seem to run out of their way to protect him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

If he invested 50k in marketshares, government seem to run out of their way to protect him.

It's the opposite to this actually

If Ryanair ever needed to be Nationalised (and they never will), all shareholders will be diluted to the point that their holdings are next to worthless

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Too much hysterics.

Nobody wants to travel to a different country at the minute. Brits aren't going to be flying en mass for holidays. They are out of work too and or are facing uncertainty . Its similar in every country.

Countries can re open if they wish. Airlines can say they are flying again. Doesn't mean people are going to go anywhere.

Airlines going bankrupt and panicking .

The two British in New Zealand were let out of quarantine early despite one even showing mild symptoms. That's on the new Zealand authorities.
    Exactly.
    Just because countries say they are open does not mean that tourism has returned to normal.

Even though airlines are flying again does not mean that flights are anywhere near full.

It's a bit like the hysteria we had here in Easter when people were giving out about the hoards of people coming over on the ferry from the UK, I think in the end the total number of cars was four.

Places like Spain have to open to try and kick start their economies again, they rely on it.

But there is no guarantee it will work.

It will be interesting locally after June 29th how our own tourism sector gets on trying to open and deal with restrictions.

With COVID 19 there is always a bogeyman.
    On this thread it's "the Brits" wanting their holiday.

In previous ones it was Italian rugby fans, Cheltenham goers, Keelings workers etc.

Wash your hands, observe social distancing, stay safe.
    That's what keeps the bogeyman away.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

I think the Government are taking a sensible approach here to inbound travel. In all likelihood, you will see our border open by mid July to most of the European Union. We are 3-4 weeks behind countries such as Austria, Germany and others in terms of the easing of restrictions and this will be no different when it comes to opening our borders.

The Government will also come under further pressure to open, in line with other member states, in order to receive their share of the Covid-19 recovery fund. If we take the decision to close our borders for an elongated time period, therefore impacting our revenue loss from tourism even further, I don't see our position to fight for a larger share of the recovery fund being very strong.

It is unlikely we will be given any advance notice of the easing of the mandatory form filling exercise as the government will still look to limit to a minimum, the number of people entering the state from other countries.

This thread is hysterical!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Golfman64 wrote: »
    I think the Government are taking a sensible approach here to inbound travel. In all likelihood, you will see our border open by mid July to most of the European Union. We are 3-4 weeks behind countries such as Austria, Germany and others in terms of the easing of restrictions and this will be no different when it comes to opening our borders.

The Government will also come under further pressure to open, in line with other member states, in order to receive their share of the Covid-19 recovery fund. If we take the decision to close our borders for an elongated time period, therefore impacting our revenue loss from tourism even further, I don't see our position to fight for a larger share of the recovery fund being very strong.

It is unlikely we will be given any advance notice of the easing of the mandatory form filling exercise as the government will still look to limit to a minimum, the number of people entering the state from other countries.

It's never being closed to have to reopen!

woody22 wrote: »
    This thread is hysterical!!

Explain ....

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Explain ....

Dedicated forced quarantine facilities, legislation to prevent Irish people from returning home..... :rolleyes:

We have some of the most relaxed and lax airport controls at the moment. Some Third World countries have tighter restrictions than us

https://www.kayak.ie/travel-restrictions

"shure it'll be grand"

Professor Samuel McConkey was on Today FM earlier (Approximately between 5.15pm to 5.30pm if you want to listen back) and he said the following

Roughly quoting with words but accurate in the numbers he said:
    If you're not on the list of close contacts of those currently isolating, your chances of getting this in the community are between 1 in 2.5 Million to 1 in 5 Million

I'm much more concerned about how open our airports are at the moment to high risk countries. If we put better measures in place against these high risk countries we can keep it suppressed. Otherwise, we can rise to a thousand new cases in the space of 5 days if the R0 gets out of control with imported cases from travellers from high risk countries

So great news about how suppressed it currently is right?

But, our airports are so exposed to UK, USA, Brazil and others, then isn't it just a matter of time before we blow all the great work done by the Restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Professor Samuel McConkey was on Today FM earlier (Approximately between 5.15pm to 5.30pm if you want to listen back) and he said the following

Roughly quoting with words but accurate in the numbers he said:

So great news about how suppressed it currently is right?

But, our airports are so exposed to UK, USA, Brazil and others, that isn't it just a matter of time before we blow all the great work done by the Restrictions?

Lockdowns were to give the health services time to prepare and not be completely overwhelmed. That was it. We aren't going to be able to just wait out this virus and still have functioning societies and economies. As soon as places reopen, cases start to appear again. Its here for good. Question is, how do we function as normally as possible alongside it? Thats what we should be focusing on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Lockdowns were to give the health services time to prepare and not be completely overwhelmed. That was it. We aren't going to be able to just wait out this virus and still have functioning societies and economies. As soon as places reopen, cases start to appear again. Its here for good. Question is, how do we function as normally as possible alongside it? Thats what we should be focusing on IMO.

Cases only appear if there is someone with the virus to start it.
    Which is why we need to restrict access from high risk countries.

We can have people come from Germany, Austria, Denmark etc.
    Set criteria, and that should determine things. Not people spouting on Boards.ie.

Cases only appear if there is someone with the virus to start it.
    Which is why we need to restrict access from high risk countries.

We can have people come from Germany, Austria, Denmark etc.
    Set criteria, and that should determine things. Not people spouting on Boards.ie.

Burn down airports! Let's keep the virus supressed!

We have some of the most relaxed and lax airport controls at the moment. Some Third World countries have tighter restrictions than us

https://www.kayak.ie/travel-restrictions

"shure it'll be grand"

This is why these countries are Third World countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It seemed common sense to many at the time that Cheltenham ,Italian rugby fans still coming over ECT back in March shouldn't of been allowed , and the government made a balls of it .

We now have a second chance of keeping our island at low numbers , if they make another mess of it will be criminal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Our government is way too nicey-nicey to do any of this. Not going to happen as much as it 100% should.

Juwwi wrote: »
    It seemed common sense to many at the time that Cheltenham ,Italian rugby fans still coming over ECT back in March shouldn't of been allowed , and the government made a balls of it .

We now have a second chance of keeping our island at low numbers , if they make another mess of it will be criminal .

And those Ryanair ads aren't sweet music to these ears. In an ideal world, restrict casual air travel until a vaccine becomes widely available. Unfortunately some stubborn mules must have their holiday to slap all over Instagram. I still believe in the concept of common sense, and that most people can abide by it for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Don't worry lads, I'm definitely not planning on coming to Ireland for the next few months. Particularly if the mood towards me when I return will be anything like in some of the posts here!

This thread is completely hyperbolic however. Particularly in respect to Britain. About 1 in every 1700 people will have coronavirus in the UK. That is astronomically low.

In a country of 67 million people there are about 145,000 active cases according to the KCL COVID tracker and the vast vast majority of those people will be isolating.

Figures on all metrics have been consistently declining for weeks, deaths and new cases. Is there some way to go? Sure, but the trend is downwards on all fronts even as the lockdown has eased on 3 separate occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Otherwise all of the restrictions were for nothing

UK, the Americas and Sweden shouldn't be allowed into Ireland till they get their omnishambles together

Why Sweden? You don't exactly have great numbers regarding the death rates in Ireland either. Like us in Sweden you murdered the elderly too.

I am coming in with a group of friends from Stockholm for a week's cycling in the west. We don't intend having any contact with the locals. Purely cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

And those Ryanair ads aren't sweet music to these ears. In an ideal world, restrict casual air travel until a vaccine becomes widely available. Unfortunately some stubborn mules must have their holiday to slap all over Instagram. I still believe in the concept of common sense, and that most people can abide by it for the greater good.

There is no guarantee that we will get a safe, reliable vaccine. It is possible the world will have to live with this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

StefanFal wrote: »
    Why Sweden? You don't exactly have great numbers regarding the death rates in Ireland either. Like us in Sweden you murdered the elderly too.

I am coming in with a group of friends from Stockholm for a week's cycling in the west. We don't intend having any contact with the locals. Purely cycling.
    Hope you have good time, the weather can be dodgy but I'm sure you know that.

It is possible to have a cycling holiday in the west of Ireland which has a very low population density and still maintain social distancing.

This virus is not going away and I don't think locking down our country is a feasible long term approach. Absolutely needed at the time but the next stage is coping with the virus.
    Social distancing where possible, masks in crowded areas, good hand hygiene, etc are all things which can be done on an ongoing basis.

Don't worry lads, I'm definitely not planning on coming to Ireland for the new few months. Particularly if the mood towards me when I return will be anything like in some of the posts here!

This thread is completely hyperbolic however. Particularly in respect to Britain. About 1 in every 1700 people will have coronavirus in the UK. That is astronomically low.

In a country of 67 million people there are about 145,000 active cases according to the KCL COVID tracker and the vast vast majority of those people will be isolating.

Figures on all metrics have been consistently declining for weeks, deaths and new cases. Is there some way to go? Sure, but the trend is downwards on all fronts even as the lockdown has eased on 3 separate occasions.

And yet people here are comparing it to Brazil

StefanFal wrote: »

As long as you dont sneeze, cough, eat, drink, spit or touch anything we will be fine then.

joe40 wrote: »
    Hope you have good time, the weather can be dodgy but I'm sure you know that.

It is possible to have a cycling holiday in the west of Ireland which has a very low population density and still maintain social distancing.

This virus is not going away and I don't think locking down our country is a feasible long term approach. Absolutely needed at the time but the next stage is coping with the virus.
    Social distancing where possible, masks in crowded areas, good hand hygiene, etc are all things which can be done on an ongoing basis.

The main problem is that it either wont work in certain areas or people wont do it. I am pretty relaxed about Covid, continued working, shopping, etc but followed the guidelines and stayed away from relatives for the most part.

Have you been to a shop? People cant even manage to stand on the bloody white dots painted on the ground ffs! Then they get in the shop and the mask comes off to talk, they touch everything, then wipe their face underneath the mask and climb over my trolley or me to get the bread while a sensible person waits 2 metres behind me.

It wont work because too many people are idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 Ryanair flights just left Dublin in the last half hour for Sofia in Bulgaria, neither flight departure is listed on the Dublin Airport website, assumption is these are bringing in more seasonal workers?

Advertisement