Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

horse7 wrote: »
    There's 1747 acres in the park ,I think we can afford a few for car parks and let more people enjoy it.

I think you are missing the point. They don't want to change ANYTHING.

Other than ban all cars. ALL of them. Evil devices.

horse7 wrote: »
    There's 1747 acres in the park ,I think we can afford a few for car parks and let more people enjoy it.

There is already plenty of carparking space in the park. No need for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is already plenty of carparking space in the park. No need for more.

Where exactly is this car parking space you refer to?

On the grass mainly...

there are car parking spaces at
    Lords walk carpark
    beside the Army sports ground
    beside the cricket pitch
    beside the Polo club
    at the popes cross, and also across the road from there
    in the visitors centre
    in Farmleigh
    along Military road
    beside the soccer changing rooms
    off the Upper Glen road
    inside the Knokmaroon gate
    along Furze road

Only lazy drivers park on the grass. Their cars should be towed when they do.

• Advertisement

there are car parking spaces at
    Lords walk carpark
    beside the Army sports ground
    beside the cricket pitch
    beside the Polo club
    at the popes cross, and also across the road from there
    in the visitors centre
    in Farmleigh
    along Military road
    beside the soccer changing rooms
    off the Upper Glen road
    inside the Knokmaroon gate
    along Furze road
    Only lazy drivers park on the grass. Their cars should be towed when they do.
    And what brings you to the conclusion that this is sufficient capacity?

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    And what makes you draw the conclusion that this is sufficient capacity?

because I am in the Park every day, and I can see that even when drivers park on the grass in one place, there are still car parking places available in different parts of the park.

because I am in the Park every day, and I can see that even when drivers park on the grass in one place, there are still car parking places available in different parts of the park.

Ah so it Parking Management more than parking capacity that is your concern.

Ah so it Parking Management more than parking capacity that is your concern.

the capacity is clearly there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Are the gates open yet?

• Advertisement

Just the two main gates on Chesterfield Ave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

beauf wrote: »
    Except AFAIK you can park on bull Island. On Causeway road. There's even a golf course on it. With parking.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3697732,-6.1487581,3a,75y,320.41h,72.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYk7ul1wTsYqNGn3pPaDsBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3750808,-6.1378664,3a,90y,342.82h,73.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCVrPU-qH3UAkkOVhTCbOXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Also it doesn't go anywhere so not a transport link 9 million car journeys.
    Its doesn't have 10 million visitors. The Zoo alone is Irelands 3rd most popular Visitor attraction with 1.3 million.
    Garda headquarters, Hospital and nursing homes. Etc.

Do people want to ban cars from Causeway road or the Golf course?

So exactly the same.

Exactly the same as what?:confused:

And what brings you to the conclusion that this is sufficient capacity?

The idea for a new car parks was so that people can park in one, just inside the gate and not have to drive through the park. Since that was the aim to remove cars from the center of the park. Also increase the capacity so people don't park on the grass.

However those that want to remove cars from the center of the park want no new car parks and instead retain those that require people to drive through the park to get them, and/or park on the grass.

This is also OPW thinking. Which is why there is a queue through the park for Farmleigh on busy days. Despite it having other entrances, to public roads. Which used to be open when Farmleigh originally opened, but they closed them.

Likewise now. OPW have it so I can drive from Castleknock Gate to the Zoo. But I can't enter at NCR and drive a few hundred yards to the Zoo. They have stopped parking on the Ave, where there is parking. So people are instead parking on the grass on the North road, where there is no parking.

At least so I hear. Sounds like a nightmare if you caught in traffic, best to avoid.

polesheep wrote: »
    Exactly the same as what?:confused:
    ...It's a park not a carpark. I'm reminded of Dollymount beach where people turned the beach into a carpark and thereby removed the amenity of a beach. It defied logic.

Apparently you see parking on the beach on a wildlife reserve, the same as parking on a road thats been a road for over a century.
    The role of Chesterfield Avenue in the broader road network of the Greater Dublin Area has long
    been acknowledged. Although routing through a public park, Chesterfield Avenue provides traffic
    with a direct link between Castleknock/Blanchardstown and Dublin City Centre via the Liffey
    Quays. The result is a relatively high traffic volume using Chesterfield Avenue, at approximately
    10,000 vehicles per day on weekdays, reducing to 8,000 vehicles per day at weekends. Highest
    traffic volumes are on the eastern section of Chesterfield Avenue (east of the Papal Cross)
    where weekend traffic flows are in excess of 9,000 vehicles per day.
    This volume of traffic on Chesterfield Avenue is clearly inconsistent with its setting within a Park
    of National and International importance.

I'm the same, often reminded of a beach when on the Ave.

. So people are instead parking on the grass on the North road, where there is no parking.

At least so I hear. Sounds like a nightmare if you caught in traffic, best to avoid.

Take it from someone who is in there everyday, there is no parking in grass on the north road. None at all.

Just the two main gates on Chesterfield Ave

Hope they open the others up soon, wont be using the park much until they do

Pedestrians can enter any gate.
    Why would only two gates being open put people off?

Take it from someone who is in there everyday, there is no parking in grass on the north road. None at all.
    ...There are cars parked on the grass throughout the Park at the weekend. ....
    ongarboy wrote: »
    ...We got easy parking near Ashtown gates albeit on the grass verge where many others were parked. ...

Funny when the Zoo is busy they park on the grass all around Garda HQ and a good bit up the road.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3536543,-6.30204,3a,75y,9.25h,88.24t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMSKrlb6pPgZhbg2zqJWfrw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DMSKrlb6pPgZhbg2zqJWfrw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D98.68784%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Guess I must have imagined it.

The massive traffic jam that it causes at times. Garda warnings an all that.

In my case not being able to drive in my local gate results in a 40 minute extra drive round trip. Not worth it, takes the good out of going there.

• Advertisement

In my case not being able to drive in my local gate results in a 40 minute extra drive round trip. Not worth it, takes the good out of going there.

Seriously? How would it take 40 mins? That's mad. You could always drive & park outside & walk in

The zoo opened up last week for the first time in months, & it has reduced capacity, pre-booked tickets only.
    Nothing parked on grass now.

The massive traffic jam that it causes at times. Garda warnings an all that.

Which Garda warnings?

The zoo opened up last week for the first time in months, & it has reduced capacity, pre-booked tickets only.
    Nothing parked on grass now.

I think you're largely missing the point that people parking on the grass is regular thing for decades. Especially at the weekends, which indicates a problem.

Making changes based on an unrepresentative period, this lockdown, makes little sense.

I think you're largely missing the point that people parking on the grass is regular thing for decades. Especially at the weekends, which indicates a problem.

Making changes based on an unrepresentative period, this lockdown, makes little sense.

But social distancing is going to be here for the foreseeable future, the zoo is not going to open it's gates to everyone anytime soon.
    All parking around the north road & Garda hq was all zoo patrons.
    The parking during the week all along Chesterfield ave is commuters.

Aristotle (384 BCE – 322 BCE): "One swallow does not a summer make, nor one fine day"

These problems in the park have existed for decades.

They are not unique to the lockdown. But you are sticking to the strategy of knee jerk reaction to these issues. That usually works well. The traffic chaos caused thus far is a good omen.

There is no traffic chaos at the moment.
    Chesterfield Ave is much safer without cars parked either side.

Apparently you see parking on the beach on a wildlife reserve, the same as parking on a road thats been a road for over a century.

I'm the same, often reminded of a beach when on the Ave.

I was comparing parking in the park and on a beach. How you got to where you are is a mystery to me.

So in order to accommodate them we will have to tarmac those grass spots. And additional grass spots to accommodate additional cars. You do see where this is going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

There is no traffic chaos at the moment.
    Chesterfield Ave is much safer without cars parked either side.

Talking to a Garda relative, when the Criminal Courts of Justice are back in session, those lanes WILL be parked in. A lot.

Advertisement