Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying

• 12-06-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,788 ✭✭✭✭

What does folks without cards do, a lot older do not have cards or want to use over bank charges, now places want contactless payments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

I have only come across one shop, a petrol station convenience store that will only take contactless, all others I have used would prefer contactless but will take cash.

I used card initially but I think I damaged it giving it a rub of a disinfectant wipe and it won't work anymore and have reverted to using cash while I wait for a new one and it hasn't been a problem in general.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's not just the elderly. However this Is a relatively minor issue in the context of this virus and we all are having to adjust to doing things differently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Beasty wrote: »
    It's not just the elderly. However this Is a relatively minor issue in the context of this virus and we all are having to adjust to doing things differently.
    It is not a minor matter if you have not got a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭AUDI20

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What does folks without cards do, a lot older do not have cards or want to use over bank charges, now places want contactless payments
    Over 60s don't have any bank charges on their account, not with BOI don't know about AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have not seen any shop reject cash yet. Card is just preferred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

biko wrote: »

Cash is still preferred in the establishments that have always preferred it for, ahem, accounting purposes (non chain stores, takeaways etc)

I've gone back to cash since cases flatlined. Using a card for payment is nothing short of demeaning, I played ball for 12 weeks but it's high time to get back to cash, the fastest most efficient method of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Using a card for payment is nothing short of demeaning

You're going to have to explain that one for those of us in the cheap seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Dial Hard wrote: »

Also how it's the fastest most efficient way... ???

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

(I use card nearly exclusively)

It's a loss of privacy. Facebook was able to tell me how many time I had used my Revolut card/app (+200 times). Unfortunately it didn't provide more information than that so I don't know what exact information was shared.

That doesn't happen with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

(I use card nearly exclusively)

It's a loss of privacy. Facebook was able to tell me how many time I had used my Revolut card/app (+200 times). Unfortunately it didn't provide more information than that so I don't know what exact information was shared.

That doesn't happen with cash.

Don’t use Revolut then they include the Facebook SDK’s so that you can log in and invite friends pay friends etc.. My “traditional” bank doesn’t include Facebook SDK’s or geo locates my phone with a purchase I do in a shop unless I use Apple Pay. I’d go as far as to say if you want your privacy Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp should be deleted off your phone.

I don’t get the elderly thing either. Both my parents are in their mid 70’s, they only use cash when trades people are involved.

Don’t get me wrong I get the appeal of cash but I also get the greater appeal and especially the hygiene factor of cards/phones/etc. in a pandemic.

• Advertisement

Just feels wrong.
    Heroditas wrote: »
    Also how it's the fastest most efficient way... ???

I bought a hoodie today, 55 quid.

Had I been carrying cash, which I always was prior to this craic, I'd have 55 quid in my hand. Transaction done in under 7 seconds with receipt. If it was a transaction where I wouldn't want a receipt, transaction done and leaving till in under 3 seconds.

Unfortunately I've become so accustomed to not using ATM's I went into the shop with no cash on me, plain forgot to go.

Time taken to fire up the machine, enter PIN, be approved- probably 20 plus seconds.

Doing something that takes up to 8 times longer every day for 50 years until the day you die eventually accumulates into a lot of lost personal time.

It's a hateful method.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is all the time spent finding and queueing for an ATM, putting in your pin, navigating the menu, and waiting for it to process time well spent?

With Google Pay I often have the transaction completed within a few seconds of the cashier running up the total.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is all the time spent finding and queueing for an ATM, putting in your pin, navigating the menu, and waiting for it to process time well spent?

Yes.
    With Google Pay I often have the transaction completed within a few seconds of the cashier running up the total.

But not faster than by using cash. Never can be never will be.

Unless you're either very generous and rounding everything up to what notes you have available, or flinging a bunch of change at them and sprinting away, you're going to be a few seconds waiting for them to count what you give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Yes.

Definitely faster to pay by card, I’m often on the till at my work and card is faster than waiting for someone to find the exact cash or for you to open till, lodge money and take out change.

See pros to using cash especially if one was on a tight budget but if you’re talking about saving seconds of your time probably best go with tap and go.

Cash is a payment method I associate with someone who's keeping a tight budget and making sure they don't spend more than they can afford. Debit card for those that have money and aren't too fussed, and credit card for those who are running up a debt.

Now, generally speaking, I pay with cash as a general rule of thumb. I find it helps as I do tend to budget tightly, otherwise I end up spending a fortune on absolute shite that I don't need or want, but I buy because 'it's there'.

Card is a lot faster than cash, though. Unless you always have exact notes (and no coins, as they'll need to be counted) and you're only paying with one or two notes, and don't want a receipt, card will be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I dunno, march in and slam a €20 on the counter while shouting "pump number 2 love" is about as fast as a transaction can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just feels wrong.

I bought a hoodie today, 55 quid.

Had I been carrying cash, which I always was prior to this craic, I'd have 55 quid in my hand. Transaction done in under 7 seconds with receipt. If it was a transaction where I wouldn't want a receipt, transaction done and leaving till in under 3 seconds.

Unfortunately I've become so accustomed to not using ATM's I went into the shop with no cash on me, plain forgot to go.

Time taken to fire up the machine, enter PIN, be approved- probably 20 plus seconds.

Doing something that takes up to 8 times longer every day for 50 years until the day you die eventually accumulates into a lot of lost personal time.

It's a hateful method.

I use my phone (which has no limit). I don't even have to open my wallet. Cash is disgusting and is very much on the way out. Expensive to count, heavy to carry around (coins can be a significant weight for f all value).

From a "demeaning perspective" I think you should contemplate how many arseholes that 50 euro note has been up or how many people have used to inhale cocaine, how many people have wiped their nose with their hands before handling the note, how many have handled without washing their hands in general.

I take out my phone and hold it to the machine. Only the checkout operator has to touch it and many retailers can just "send" the amount to the card machine without having to "fire it up".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Emmersonn wrote: »
    It is not a minor matter if you have not got a card.

I would say it is if you've been cocooning for 3+ months

I stand by my point

It is minor compared to many of the other "inconveniences" brought about by Covid-19. Banks are open and it's relatively easily remedied

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

biko wrote: »

Petmania in Galway were (possibly still are) rejecting cash in April. Some old guy hadn't a card and made no effort to facilitate him. I paid for him with my card, and he gave me the cash, but I thought it was bad form on their behalf as he was a regular. Think Petworld were rejecting cash also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

phormium wrote: »
    I have only come across one shop, a petrol station convenience store that will only take contactless, all others I have used would prefer contactless but will take cash.

Since retail has re-opened, I've been to multiple shops that are not taking cash and honestly I think they'll keep it that way long term. IKEA, DID electrical, Woodies, Power City, Curry's all not taking cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭phormium

Woodies where I am has been taking cash since they reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I haven't been in a store yet that didn't take cash. Some said they'd prefer card but still taking cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Don’t use Revolut then they include the Facebook SDK’s so that you can log in and invite friends pay friends etc.. My “traditional” bank doesn’t include Facebook SDK’s or geo locates my phone with a purchase I do in a shop unless I use Apple Pay. I’d go as far as to say if you want your privacy Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp should be deleted off your phone.

I don’t get the elderly thing either. Both my parents are in their mid 70’s, they only use cash when trades people are involved.

Don’t get me wrong I get the appeal of cash but I also get the greater appeal and especially the hygiene factor of cards/phones/etc. in a pandemic.

I was answering a question. Not debating the merits of using Revolut vs traditional banks. Your traditional bank probably charges for transactions. That's another win for using cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I was answering a question. Not debating the merits of using Revolut vs traditional banks. Your traditional bank probably charges for transactions. That's another win for using cash.

And I was adding to it that if people are concerned about privacy they shouldn’t use Facebook apps or app that embed Facebook code.

My traditional bank don’t charge me fees.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Since retail has re-opened, I've been to multiple shops that are not taking cash and honestly I think they'll keep it that way long term. IKEA, DID electrical, Woodies, Power City, Curry's all not taking cash.

Woodies are taking cash, so are DID. Pretty sure a friend of mine was in Curry's and paid in Cash, too.

You're talking out your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭gipi

My sister went to a Boots chemist a few weeks ago and they refused to accept cash.

She doesn't have a card of any type, (afaik she doesn't even have a current account!), so she had to leave without her purchases.

gipi wrote: »
    My sister went to a Boots chemist a few weeks ago and they refused to accept cash.

She doesn't have a card of any type, (afaik she doesn't even have a current account!), so she had to leave without her purchases.

Unsure if there's any truth to it, but a cashier in Woodies was saying that they can't say no to cash as they're an Irish company, and it's only UK companies etc. that can say no to it.

Again, completely unsure if there's any truth to that, but most of the stores i see saying no to cash (Ikea, B&Q, HomeBase, Boots etc.) do seem to be stores that originated in the UK.
    corsav6 wrote:
    I dunno, march in and slam a €20 on the counter while shouting "pump number 2 love" is about as fast as a transaction can be done

Yeah but that only works if Petrol is the only thing you ever buy.

Unsure if there's any truth to it, but a cashier in Woodies was saying that they can't say no to cash as they're an Irish company, and it's only UK companies etc. that can say no to it.

Legally they're all Irish companies, the only difference is where their shareholders live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Cash is good if your trying to budget and keep track of your spending. Also another positive for cash is in local coffee shops and eateries that is how the staff will earn tips. If you paid 4.95 in cash there is a chance to may throw the 5 cent change into the tip jar or a local club/society fundraising bucket

Advertisement