Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paying

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes.

But not faster than by using cash. Never can be never will be.

You've obviously never been behind the biddy digging through her purse for coppers.
    Or the lad in the pub searching all his pockets for a fiver.

A transaction takes the amount of time to tap a card, no more no less.
    Unsure if there's any truth to it, but a cashier in Woodies was saying that they can't say no to cash as they're an Irish company, and it's only UK companies etc. that can say no to it.

Again, completely unsure if there's any truth to that, but most of the stores i see saying no to cash (Ikea, B&Q, HomeBase, Boots etc.) do seem to be stores that originated in the UK.

No truth in that. Irish laws apply to every business in Ireland, regardless where they originate from.
    Cash is good if your trying to budget and keep track of your spending. Also another positive for cash is in local coffee shops and eateries that is how the staff will earn tips. If you paid 4.95 in cash there is a chance to may throw the 5 cent change into the tip jar or a local club/society fundraising bucket

Strangely I'm the opposite. I've started a Revolt budget and my purchases are tracked through that, so I know where all my money is going.
    Cash gets lost on me, in pockets and in cubbys in the car.
    I get that if you withdraw 50, that's your limit, but I have no idea where that 50 is spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never use cash unless I'm buying something illegally!
    Currently use a revolut card associated with Google Pay on my phone, it's great because even if I've no wallet with me it's not an issue any more as long as I have a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

biko wrote: »
    I have not seen any shop reject cash yet. Card is just preferred.

Me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Time taken to fire up the machine, enter PIN, be approved- probably 20 plus seconds.

Doing something that takes up to 8 times longer every day for 50 years until the day you die eventually accumulates into a lot of lost personal time.

It's a hateful method.

And where does your cash come from? An ATM. And unless you're carrying around hundreds of euro with you in your wallet, you're going to be spending a lot more time going to, queuing at and using an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Using a card for payment is nothing short of demeaning,

During the hundreds of times I have used debit and credit cards to pay for goods and services, I have never felt demeaned.

Indeed, I consider this statement to be very odd.

Hundreds of thousands of people use cards to pay every day in Ireland.

Are all these events demeaning?

Clearly, they are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We're in the middle of a pandemic and everyone is being asked to make sacrifices to protect people at risk - some of the sacrifices are large (closing a business), some are small (reduce the use of cash). If a company wants to reduce contact risk for its staff by telling them to accept card payments only, that's fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the motor tax office accepting cash in person at an office?

Advertisement