Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,316 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If any actor could get it done it is one who worships aliens and loves to do his own crazy stunts.

I would watch the sh1t of this if it gets made.

Out Of This World! Tom Cruise Plots Movie To Shoot In Space With Elon Musk’s SpaceX

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tom-cruise-movie-shot-in-outer-space-elon-musk-spacex-unprecedented-in-hollywood-1202925849/

Doug Liman signs on to direct it.

Doug Liman To Direct Tom Cruise In Outer Space-Shot Movie Collaboration With Elon Musk & NASA

Doug Liman will boldly go where no film director has gone before. Liman plans to accompany Tom Cruise on the action adventure film to be shot in outer space that is being mounted independently (for now) and involves Elon Musk’s Space X and NASA. Liman, who directed Cruise on the movies American Made and Edge of Tomorrow, and who separately directed such hits as Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Bourne Identity, Go and Swingers, is eager to re-team on this first of its kind project, I’m told.

This is not some loose attachment. Liman and Cruise hatched this whole thing together, with Liman writing the first draft of the screenplay and producing along with Cruise. Deadline revealed on May 4 that Cruise was planning this feat, to actually travel to space in a craft to shoot the film, and the scoop hung out there until NASA confirmed its participation a day later.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/doug-liman-tom-cruise-outer-space-movie-elon-musk-nasa-1202943591/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,820 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Fysh wrote: »
    I was genuinely upset by the Twilight Zone one - I had a notion that people had died during the production, but was not expecting to be shown the footage of the accident that killed them. I would've appreciated at least a warning, frankly.

Landis came across as a world-class bellend, IMO - blathering about "being immortalised in film" at Morrow's funeral as though that's any comfort for a family that's been bereaved because of his insistence on putting a notion of realism ahead of safety for his cast and crew. Between that and paying the child actors under the table so that they wouldn't be on the books, I was stunned that he got to make as many subsequent films as he did.

Was difference in attitudes about how to proceed as well. like the director of Poltergeist 3 wanted the movie to be shelved after Heather O'Rourke's death but the studio wouldn't let it happen. Then you have The Crow and Twilight Zone both continuing because it's what they would've wanted. I know they both gave their life for the job while Heather died from health problems
    But I would only believe that with the Crow as it seemed to be a passion project for Brandon, but from the way they talked about Vic Morrow, he was only there because he was afraid of not having work and being forgotten.

I'm sure it's been asked many times before but I wonder how the Crow would've done if that hadn't happened. And I wonder what kind of career Brandon would've had. Unfortunately it's always going to be a case of what could've been.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Doug Liman signs on to direct it.

Doug Liman To Direct Tom Cruise In Outer Space-Shot Movie Collaboration With Elon Musk & NASA

https://deadline.com/2020/05/doug-liman-tom-cruise-outer-space-movie-elon-musk-nasa-1202943591/

Huh. I'm no astronomer, amateur or otherwise but I'd seriously question what "outer space" constitutes here. I genuinely don't believe for a second Tom Cruise will be allowed break the Kármán line (100km) which would be the bare minimum for "outer space". The famous "Vomit Comet" that Ron Howards Apollo 13 used is probably the more likely scenario here than Cruise _actually_ going into space (along with cameras and crew).

... Then again, it is Cruise...

For any Harry potter fans here, there is currently an ongoing reading of the first book online. 7 chapters so far with Daniel Radcliffe, Eddie Redmayne, Stephen Fry and others
    https://www.wizardingworld.com/chapters

Also on Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Shane Carruth, director of Primer and Upstream Color, has posted a concept trailer on vimeo for his long-gestating passsion project, A Topiary:

https://vimeo.com/23608364

Carruth is one of the most interesting film-makers working inside the Hollywood machine today. I really hope he gets this film made.

• Advertisement

Following the posts in another thread about banned films, I saw that Child's Play 3 was on The Horror Channel last night.
    I remember that was the film that started the Video Nasty thing after it was supposedly linked to Jamie Bulger's murder.
    I remember the image of copies of Child's Play 3 burning and the film was pulled from shelves.
    I remember renting it from a place that clearly didn't care about that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The "Video nasty thing" came long before 'Child's Play III' and the Jamie Bulger case. That was just a Tabloid hunt in the wake of the case in 93. The Daily Mirror trumping itself as some sort of moral guardian. There was no evidence that the kids ever even saw 'Child's Play III'. It was just a convenient thing to hook a crusade on.

The actual video nasties bill from the Conservatives happened in 1984 though and was a much bigger event.

Yeah I just remember the big deal at the time. The case was all over the news while the tabloids gave the likes of Child's Play 3 the treatment they give video games today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like UK TV and film production could restart as early as July; regular temp screening among other measures:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/may/31/the-batman-among-movies-given-go-ahead-for-restart-of-uk-filming

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

https://twitter.com/_juliannemoore/status/1271093436872101888

This is some ghastly sh*t! As someone I follow said, I miss when being a left wing Hollywood actor meant they were a communist.

• Advertisement

"Unless white America acknowledges its privilege"

This kind of gibberish needs to stop. It's wealth privilege, not white privilege. Plenty of whites in America have fuck all too.

BTW, absolutely none of those actors would know what left wing was if it bit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

https://twitter.com/_juliannemoore/status/1271093436872101888

This is some ghastly sh*t! As someone I follow said, I miss when being a left wing Hollywood actor meant they were a communist.

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1271122686165516288

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

Here's Brian Kennedy trying to stay relevant.

https://twitter.com/KennedySinger/status/1267631229802774535

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Tony EH wrote: »
    "Unless white America acknowledges its privilege"

This kind of gibberish needs to stop. It's wealth privilege, not white privilege. Plenty of whites in America have fuck all too.

The video is cringe but white privilege is a problem. Amy Cooper wasn't using wealth privilege against a poor man - Christian Cooper is a writer who has written for Marvel and Star Trek. She was using her white privilege against against a black man.

Wealth dispersion is also a problem, dont get me wrong.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The video is cringe but white privilege is a problem. Amy Cooper wasn't using wealth privilege against a poor man - Christian Cooper is a writer who has written for Marvel and Star Trek. She was using her white privilege against against a black man.

Wealth dispersion is also a problem, dont get me wrong.

The problem when someone says "white privilege" is that you tar everyone who's white, when there are millions of white people living without the perceived privileges that some say they have.

Using racism to highlight racism isn't going to win one any favours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The problem when someone says "white privilege" is that you tar everyone who's white, when there are millions of white people living without the perceived privileges that some say they have.

American society was built on white supremacy, so was the British Empire. White privilege exists and every single one of us benefits from it, and most of us indirectly contribute to it, even if we don't realise it.

Is this even news? Hollywood actors are an insular, well-meaning but often bewildered crowd mutated by an industry that idolises their status. Not like their sanctimony, however legitimate in a broader global context, wasn't adequately skewered 16 years ago with Team America.

Getting back to actual Film news, Paul King will not be returning to direct Paddington 3; he'll still be in the credits as Executive Producer, but that's a fairly hands off title IMO

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/paddington-3-paul-king-110745608.html

Great that there might even BE a third movie, but King was definitely part of the magic that made the last 2 (and especially the sequel) work so well.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Getting back to actual Film news, Paul King will not be returning to direct Paddington 3; he'll still be in the credits as Executive Producer, but that's a fairly hands off title IMO

Great that there might even BE a third movie, but King was definitely part of the magic that made the last 2 (and especially the sequel) work so well.

I'd be a bit sceptical about a 3rd one now. King wrote or co wrote the first 2 as well, so assuming he's not involved in that side either it could be a completely different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, the first two were lovely fun. I hope they choose wisely when picking his successor.

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, the first two were lovely fun. I hope they choose wisely when picking his successor.

I'm going to try to keep an open mind, never forget George Miller made Mad Max and Babe, so anything's possible.

I see your point of course but even poor white people enjoy white privilege and are less likely to be harassed and discriminated against than their black or minority counterparts. White privilege isn't an act or intention, unless you're someone like Amy Cooper who uses it you your advantage to try get someone arrested for simply asking you to put a leash on your dog. When people talk about acknowledging white privilege it's not about admitting you're a racist or anything like that, it's simply about acknowledging that because you're white you will benefit more from society.

pixelburp wrote: »

A shame because he also had a hand in writing the first two. I guess it really depends on who they get to replace but fingers crossed because there is a lot to live up to.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I see your point of course but even poor white people enjoy white privilege and are less likely to be harassed and discriminated against than their black or minority counterparts. White privilege isn't an act or intention, unless you're someone like Amy Cooper who uses it you your advantage to try get someone arrested for simply asking you to put a leash on your dog. When people talk about acknowledging white privilege it's not about admitting you're a racist or anything like that, it's simply about acknowledging that because you're white you will benefit more from society.

I don't think there are many people who wouldn't think that being born black or minority in certain countries doesn't come with some downsides. Regardless of that, though, using decisive phrases as the one in question does nothing to further efforts in garnering support.

When you make something about colour, it only drives a wedge into things.

This should be more about pointing the finger at power structures and the people who make those structures, as they are the ones who are responsible for circumstances never changing.

Pointing fingers at someone who's dirt poor and screaming "white privilege" because of an immutable characteristic they possess doesn't help. Not even in the slightest.

It ends up only creating more division.

When you make something about colour, it only drives a wedge into things.

This should be more about pointing the finger at power structures and the people who make those structures, as they are the ones who are responsible for circumstances never changing.

If you're talking about the UK, or the US especially, then those structures are inherently racist and they have been designed that way and maintained that way by white people. White people in power, white people voting for them.

If you're talking about the UK, or the US especially, then those structures are inherently racist and they have been designed that way and maintained that way by white people. White people in power, white people voting for them.

Black people don't vote?

It's only whites voting for whites?

Black people don't vote?

It's only whites voting for whites?

Voter suppression in predominantly black (and Latino) communities is rampant in the US. It goes right back to the 1870s and continues today. Why do you think Trump is so against the mail ballots? The state of Georgia wiped 600000 people off the voting register in 2017. In 2018 they blocked 50000 from registering, 70% of them were black.

Voter suppression in predominantly black (and Latino) communities is rampant in the US. It goes right back to the 1870s and continues today. Why do you think Trump is so against the mail ballots? The state of Georgia wiped 600000 people off the voting register in 2017. In 2018 they blocked 50000 from registering, 70% of them were black.

How is that the fault of every white person?

That's exactly what I mean when I say that this is a "wealth privilege" and not a "white privilege".

It's more about the wealthiest staying the wealthiest and securing their place at the top of the food chain at the expense of those on the lower rungs, and that includes poor people of all colours.

Making that the target, rather than every white person, which is what the term "white privilege" does in reality, would of better use in garnering support for a cause to further emancipation or empowerment.

How is that the fault of every white person?

That's exactly what I mean when I say that this is a "wealth privilege" and not a "white privilege".

It's more about the wealthiest staying the wealthiest and securing their place at the top of the food chain at the expense of those on the lower rungs, and that includes poor people of all colours.

Making that the target, rather than every white person, which is what the term "white privilege" does in reality, would of better use in garnering support for a cause to further emancipation or empowerment.

Probably best we leave it there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This is a pretty unfiltered letter from some Black screenwriters, with everything that's been going on. https://www.wga.org/uploadedfiles/the-guild/inclusion-and-equity/Dear_Hollywood_June_12_2020.pdf

Advertisement