Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Also, in the vain of 'movies, man'. Nice to see Irrfan Khan included here.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So just reading an interview with Cameron Diaz and she say how good she feels since quitting acting 6 years ago not that I missed her in anything however I do find it strange that she would do a Bridget Fonda and retire so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wasn't really sure if there is a Recommend a movie thread, but this works here too.

I just re-watched Interview with the Vampire for the first time since the very early or mid 2000's, and I'll just say it's held up and aged very very well. I know some weren't keen on Tom Cruise's portrayal in it but personally I found him really enjoyable and does a great job of portraying the manic side of Lestat.

Ryan Reynolds following in the footsteps of George Clooney as he sells his Gin brand to Diageo for over half a billion.

Will Smith & Kevin Hart to star in a remake of Planes, Trains & Automobiles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Who said Hollywood was out of ideas?!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I assume Kevin Hart plays a poor imitation of the John Candy role as the guy who's annoying. Will Smith as the more serious Steve Martin character.

What can we make next? I remember reading before that Enter the Dragon is being remade but heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're joking. :eek:

Balls are going to be sucked by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We had it with Due Date

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds incredibly forced, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The original still exists, and if anything this will probably drive more eyeballs to that version. Remakes of comedies are as old as Hollywood itself. Just can't raise the required distaste anymore when Variety reports that water is wet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I assume Kevin Hart plays a poor imitation of the John Candy role as the guy who's annoying. Will Smith as the more serious Steve Martin character.

What can we make next? I remember reading before that Enter the Dragon is being remade but heard nothing since.

Surely it will be the other way around with Kevin Hart being the exhausted, frustrated family man and Will Smith being the good natured but annoying salesman in which case I'm not totally averse.

I never really thought about it before but it's very odd how in theatre they're constantly doing "remakes" and people compare so-and-so's Hamlet to your man's. Like my first gut reaction was very negative but I'm trying to be more open minded about these things because as PB says the original is always there. I didn't wasn't to see Will Smith do the famous speech but maybe he'd have an interesting take on it and he definitely has the acting chops for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

pixelburp wrote: »
    The original still exists, and if anything this will probably drive more eyeballs to that version. Remakes of comedies are as old as Hollywood itself. Just can't raise the required distaste anymore when Variety reports that water is wet :D

While all of the above is true, it still doesn't eliminate the disappointment involved when Hollywood engages in this type of cheap offering.

And, you know, I am still unconvinced that a shitty remake isn't somewhat damaging to the original's memory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    While all of the above is true, it still doesn't eliminate the disappointment involved when Hollywood engages in this type of cheap offering.

And, you know, I am still unconvinced that a shitty remake isn't somewhat damaging to the original's memory.

That's a new one for sure. Can't see how a bad remake has any effect on the original, bar a bump in sales and increased fondness / mythologising of the previous iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It means Sky will buy the rights to the original and we won't be able to see it on terrestrial TV over Christmas anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

The movie has nothing to do with Christmas though.

Why has Fincher stopped making films?

Gone Girl being his last and that was released in 2014 and probably made in 2013.

Why has Fincher stopped making films?

Gone Girl being his last and that was released in 2014 and probably made in 2013.

He was fairly involved with Mindhunter, and House of Cards so AFAIK hasn't pulled a Soderburgh (edit: oh and that "Love Death and Robots" anthology series IIRC). Directed a few episodes for both shows n all. IIRC he was / is still attached to direct that bizarre World War Z sequel, though can't recall if that does a death. Seems like he's still busy just not focused on film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

He finished filming his Herman J. Mankiewicz biopic recently (before the pandemic) so that should show up in the next year or so.

I think a few projects like World War Z 2 collapsed so obviously just took his time with his TV projects for a bit. But definitely hasn’t stopped making films.

I knew he was show running and pilot directing those shows for Netflix it would be a shame not to see his work on the big screen again.

After seeing the Batman trailer I got a Fincher vibe from it and now I want to see him make dark superhero movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I’m happy that he’s one big name Hollywood director who hasn’t got sucked into the superhero vortex. Lot more films that need to be made outside the endless parade of costumed heroes.

Absolutely so it looks like he has followed in the footsteps of Michael Mann splitting his time between Film and TV being the last half of the decade and good to know he has an upcoming film due soon.

As it happens I re-watched the director cut of Zodiac. You can kinda see where Mindhunter was born, not just in the subject but the tone and focus on the minutae of the procedure. An intense experience and a reminder that Downey Jr used to actually act from time to time.

Don't think Fincher needs to make a superhero film because a lot of directors are fond of aping his style. Mindhunter itself being a good example: you could always tell the episodes Fincher himself directed and the ... understudies I suppose?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fincher is very uncompromising. If he can't get the budget/creative freedom he wants then he won't make the film. It wouldn't surprise me if never goes back to making theatrical films.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I thought I read that Mindhunter was more or less finished with because he wanted to get back to movies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fincher is very uncompromising. If he can't get the budget/creative freedom he wants then he won't make the film. It wouldn't surprise me if never goes back to making theatrical films.
    He left the new Utopia series for budget reasons as well apparently.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/09/david-fincher-leaves-hbo-series-utopia-over-budget-battles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Wasn't Mindhunter cancelled?

Ah, this is sad in a number of ways. Talk shows are too squeaky clean for this now.

https://twitter.com/right_movies/status/1300025695389855746

YouTuber Patrick Willems'[*] latest video was something I'd relate to a lot & feel doesn't get championed as much as it should; those high-concept, slightly insane and fantastically imaginative blockbusters. What he calls "gonzo" blockbusters - and ... yeah, that's a term that kind of fits.

Those films who often frustrate as much as they entertain: your "Mortal Engines", "Jupiter Ascending" and so on; usually financial flops too but they're (almost) never boring and have creativity positively bursting at the seams.

[*] The skit that frames the video is just part of an in-joke, so you gotta just run with it.

• Advertisement

Arnold Spielberg, father of Steven, passed away last week at the grand age of 103. Credited with Basic (computing) and the cash register. https://www.ge.com/news/reports/first-spielberg-first-blockbuster-ge-computers-video

Advertisement