Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So it's a stage production, already finished and it still won't release for a year and a half?

https://twitter.com/Lin_Manuel/status/1224377343126462466

I am surprised they don't do this more stage productions. They have the anniversary productions of Les Mis and Phantom and I think you can get shows like Rent and Cats. But then there are pretty popular shows like Wicked which are only available onstage.
    As for Hamilton, isn't it a musical that mostly appeals to Americans?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Someone upscaled "Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat" to 4k and 60fps, for no good reason except that they could. Obviously not a lot to see here beyond the HD upscaling, but IMO is still fascinating to watch such a big moment in cinema history:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 windbound

If there was any doubt that the golden age of Hollywood ended a long time ago, it certainly has now. Kirk Douglas had it all. One of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Still a lot of actors from that era alive and kicking some still acting in their 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_living_actors_from_the_Golden_Age_of_Hollywood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Rhonda Fleming was one of the top Hollywood actresses in the 1950s - bigger name than Kirk back then.

• Advertisement

Scorsese doing ad's for Coke my heart sinks.

Rhonda Fleming was in one of my favourite westerns, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Kirk made some great westerns in his time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rick Moranis is due to come out of his self imposed retirement, to star in a Honey I Shrunk the Kids sequel. He'll be playing the dad once more, to Josh Gads grown up son.

Honey I Shrunk the Kids. I remember liking that, and the sequel. It'll be good to see Rick Moranis back again. He probably looks the very same as himself.

Those deepfakes, they just keep getting better and better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Quick question folks - apart from iTunes, where can I buy digital movie downloads with the extras (eg deleted scenes and commentary) from Ireland? Can only find recommendations for US or UK viewers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Quick question folks - apart from iTunes, where can I buy digital movie downloads with the extras (eg deleted scenes and commentary) from Ireland? Can only find recommendations for US or UK viewers.

Most extras are Blu-ray only. It's one of the few remaining selling points of buying physical format.

Most extras are Blu-ray only. It's one of the few remaining selling points of buying physical format.

Yeah I'm specifically looking for some Digital Only ones in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Those deepfakes, they just keep getting better and better...

Was BTTF Fox? Do Disney own the rights now? I don't want a remake but if the people at Disney have seen this and they do own the rights I wonder what odds you'd get in them making this in the next five years.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Was BTTF Fox? Do Disney own the rights now? I don't want a remake but if the people at Disney have seen this and they do own the rights I wonder what odds you'd get in them making this in the next five years.

No BTTF owned by Universal.

Shared on the Mandolorian thread, but IMO this may have knock on effects in Film: greenscreen could become a thing of the past, as turns out Mando shot a lot of its apparently FX heavy scenes surrounded by 360 LED screens, pumping out realtime rendering via Epic Games' Unreal Engine. Could make a big difference in future.

That's truly impressive stuff and must have made it so much easier for the crew and actors, having "real" locations to riff off. For instance, I never would have guessed that space station hanger was a big screen, not a post-production effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

In addition to uncompressed video, always having access to the movie, helping to preserve a potentially lost film in the future, etc.

Digital and streaming is fine for renting or trying out a title, but for indefinite access and quality nothing can touch owning the UHD/Blu-Ray.

I'm very much pro owning physical media, yes, but in some cases iTunes has an exclusivity deal on some features, seemingly commentaries in particular. It's frustrating, because I love commentaries but actively dislike iTunes as a platform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Shared on the Mandolorian thread, but IMO this may have knock on effects in Film: greenscreen could become a thing of the past, as turns out Mando shot a lot of its apparently FX heavy scenes surrounded by 360 LED screens, pumping out realtime rendering via Epic Games' Unreal Engine. Could make a big difference in future.

That's truly impressive stuff and must have made it so much easier for the crew and actors, having "real" locations to riff off. For instance, I never would have guessed that space station hanger was a big screen, not a post-production effect.
    That is really cool.

Now when are Aldi going to have those 360 LED TV on special?

Dades wrote: »
    That is really cool.

Now when are Aldi going to have those 360 LED TV on special?

I was thinking on this further, and it could have huge ramifications for the FX industry; a pretty sizeable part of filmmaking now consists of post-production, via all these sweatshop / pop-up FX houses that float from state to state (for the tax breaks). If filmmakers can suddenly render the backdrops & vistas "live" and to a significant level of detail or fidelity, that industry will surely shrink in favour of on-set Game Engine artists working during production itself.

• Advertisement

Wow, Fox has aged quite dramatically, he looks quite ill. I mean, we know that he is, but seems to have caught up with him a tad :(

I always remember the episode of Spin City where they did a glimpse of a number of decades into the future and he still looked the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Forgot about Empire's podcast recording in Dublin. Did anyone go? Not one I tend to listen to, tbh.

I'm reading Idris Elba is the latest Hollywood star to announce testing positive for Corvid-19. Apparently no symptoms yet, so must have been precautionary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm reading Idris Elba is the latest Hollywood star to announce testing positive for Corvid-19. Apparently no symptoms yet, so must have been precautionary.

He was at a big charity thing last week where several people, including the Canadian PM's wife, have trested positive for it since.

Just seeing Steven Spielberg is remaking West Side Story It will be interesting to see how he handles a musical.

Also great to see Rita Moreno is in it.

https://twitter.com/20thcentury/status/1239536266804264960?s=20

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-trolls-world-tour-the-hunt-invisible-man-coronavirus-1203535541/

Universal releasing new movies online to try and make some money since people aren't going to see them. $19.99 to rent it for 48 hours.
    Movies include Trolls World Tour, the Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma

While it's a novel idea with merit ... ... 30 minutes after release, Trolls World Tour, the Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma will appear on all the usual "alternate" avenues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CastorTroy wrote: »
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/universal-trolls-world-tour-the-hunt-invisible-man-coronavirus-1203535541/

Universal releasing new movies online to try and make some money since people aren't going to see them. $19.99 to rent it for 48 hours.
    Movies include Trolls World Tour, the Hunt, The Invisible Man and Emma

That's ridiculous money for one film. Good luck to them.

Advertisement