Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Inexplicably, there's another "No You See Me" movie potentially on the way. Possibly the most redundant live franchise going in Hollywood ATM? Looking at the box office, the sequel did $340 million, so fine I guess? They're not ostensibly bad movies, just the cinematic embodiment of the shoulder shrug & don't get the sense of some resting fandom clamouring for more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hi film buffs!

I hope you don't mind the cross-pollination here, but I thought some of you may like a film quiz

Over in forum games I'm running a movie poster quiz, much in the style of a Pointless picture round

For example, can you name a film from these that you think few other people will...?

Black-1.jpg

If you'd like to play then head over to https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058074354 and join in the fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,386 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sly has confirmed John Spartan will return in Demolition Man 2.

30 years after the 1993 original.

Holy crap that was 30 years ago I really am old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness he only said he was working with WB on it, but nothing confirmed their end. Anyone can be shopping a script with a studio so I'd be cautious this is anywhere near greenlit.

We certainly live in times ripe for the kind of broad satire Demo Man 1 managed. Not sure a sequel could recreate that lightning in a bottle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Was just thinking earlier that it seems cinemas when they are allowed to re-open will be required to have social distancing. Social distancing looks like it could be around til 2021.

So this would probably mean every 2nd seat available. Surely this won't be viable for the big blockbusters as they need all potential revenue.

I saw Michael O'Leary saying the same thing with budget airlines that it just won't work financially. Interesting to see where it goes

• Advertisement

^^ Also an Unpopular Opinion glass you posted it here though!

Unearthly wrote: »
    Was just thinking earlier that it seems cinemas when they are allowed to re-open will be required to have social distancing. Social distancing looks like it could be around til 2021.

So this would probably mean every 2nd seat available. Surely this won't be viable for the big blockbusters as they need all potential revenue.

I saw Michael O'Leary saying the same thing with budget airlines that it just won't work financially. Interesting to see where it goes

CoVid will be the death of cinema chains, it has to be a certainty. AMC in America are already in severe trouble, while the greed of Disney has meant even blockbusters haven't been the decent profit margin of yore (Disney demanding a larger cut). The billion dollar box office smash suddenly feels like a deeply endangered species.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Unearthly wrote: »

It could mean a steep hike in ticket prices, and even less choice in what's screening with multiple screens showing the same blockbuster at the same time. Maybe release schedules will change too. It'll be interesting to see how the use of VOD for new releases during this lockdown period effects studio thinking too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd say the big chains are done. Studios will have to buy them out.

I'd say the big chains are done. Studios will have to buy them out.

From an American context, only if the Paramount Decree is axed; the wheels to kill it are in motion, so we'll see how that goes. Honestly, if cinemas turn into studio merry-go-rounds I'll probably stop visiting. Don't particularly want to reward Disney et al at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    From an American context, only if the Paramount Decree is axed; the wheels to kill it are in motion, so we'll see how that goes. Honestly, if cinemas turn into studio merry-go-rounds I'll probably stop visiting. Don't particularly want to reward Disney et al at this stage.
    I have to agree. That route feels like a recipe for a further contraction of mainstream cinema. Disney already have a near monopoly position, and giving them control of cinemas too won't be good for anything but their profit margins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If not the studios, who else is going to bail out the cinemas?

If not the studios, who else is going to bail out the cinemas?

Nobody? Even before CoVid there has been plenty of column inches about the slow death of cinemas as a mainstream institution - it's arguable this might be the final nail in the coffin.

It's a huge guessing game, not least 'cos there are still some big Blockbusters awaiting release - ones studios surely had outsized projections for (eg, Wonder Woman 2, the new Chris. Nolan flick, Dune etc. etc.). Reduced capacities are going to hurt studios - but mostly cinemas. Maybe there'll be a Dead Cat Bounce effect to be had from these - beyond that though? Hard to see how the mainstream cinema as a concept limps on beyond this.

Perhaps in a few years, the "cinema" becomes this niche, luxury entity where Art House / Indy films live (or like the Stella in Rathmines where you pay extra for a "luxury" experience). God knows, but if the public interest isn't there, who'd take a risk on bailing out chains?

This may greatly hasten the demise of cinema but i don't think it will kill it. Mainly because blockbusters are still very much designed for the cinema and I don't think multiplexes can die just yet without taking most of the studios with them.

If any actor could get it done it is one who worships aliens and loves to do his own crazy stunts.

I would watch the sh1t of this if it gets made.

Out Of This World! Tom Cruise Plots Movie To Shoot In Space With Elon Musk’s SpaceX
    EXCLUSIVE: I’m hearing that Tom Cruise and Elon Musk’s Space X are working on a project with NASA that would be the first narrative feature film – an action adventure – to be shot in outer space. It’s not a Mission: Impossible film and no studio is in the mix at this stage but look for more news as I get it. But this is real, albeit in the early stages of liftoff.

Mission: Impossible Fallout took a break, literally when he broke his ankle in a leap from one rooftop to the other and he also hung from a helicopter; he hung from the side of a jet plane during takeoff in Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation, and in Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol he scaled the Burj Khalifa, the Dubai skyscraper, and executed stunts 123 floors up. He is meticulous in preparing these stunts he does, which are frightening just to watch.

There has never been a leading man (Jackie Chan might dispute this) who puts himself at risk as often as does Cruise, in the name of the most realistic action sequences possible. If he is successful shooting a project in Musk’s space ship, he will be alone in the Hollywood record books. Stay tuned.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tom-cruise-movie-shot-in-outer-space-elon-musk-spacex-unprecedented-in-hollywood-1202925849/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

If only the Chinese would decide to shoot Jackie Chan in/into space, in a race to a PR coup, we'd get two ridiculous space action movies and the world would be a better place.

Elon Musk working with Tom Cruise. Feels like we're one launch accident away from the world's collective crazy getting slashed in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Some of you will love this - Roger Deakins has launched a podcast about film-making. Story on Collider.

This may greatly hasten the demise of cinema but i don't think it will kill it. Mainly because blockbusters are still very much designed for the cinema and I don't think multiplexes can die just yet without taking most of the studios with them.

I suppose bar those sitting in limbo, there aren't really any blockbusters on the way. There's a lot stalled & in limbo so maybe the era of the $250 million blockbuster is also at risk if the geography changes enough?

Netflix are kinda-sorta reviving the middle budget crowdpleaser - to what success who knows given their own secrecy - and if cinema attendance collapses anymore than it already had, the centre mightn't hold much longer.

pixelburp wrote: »

Netflix are kinda-sorta reviving the middle budget crowdpleaser - to what success who knows given their own secrecy - and if cinema attendance collapses anymore than it already had, the centre mightn't hold much longer.
    . Netflix's moment of truth has come.

Not down and out yet, by the long pre video ads Netflix has running on YouTube non premium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Happy enough for Tom Cruise to do what he wants. Elon Musk on the other hand...

Happy enough for Tom Cruise to do what he wants. Elon Musk on the other hand...

With luck he can go up with Cruise and get Lost in Space.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching the Cursed Films series from Shudder. Each episode covering a film. So the Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Omen, The Crow and Twilight Zone.

Was an interesting series as there were some details I wasn't familiar with, around things like Brandon Lee's death and the Poltergeist related deaths. Wasn't a fan of The Exorcist episode as it and the Oman had very fillery content. But the most shocking one, as I hadn't seen the footage or even heard the story before was The Twilight Zone, where they showed the footage of the accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^
    Watched those myself a while ago. They were mostly meh, short on info and stuffed with chancers trying to pass themselves off as witches. The series didn't seem to know what it really wanted to be either. It get the impression it would have been a better show detailing on set accidents rather than bogus "curses" and I could have done without all the faux hocus pocus.

But, that 'Twilight Zone' episode was great and the on set footage is really shocking when you know that Vic Morrow and the two kids were killed. It made Landis out to be a bit of a jerk too. Someone who was in serious need of some cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, that's why I found the Exorcist and Omen ones to be the poorest. you would think they would have enough content from those films to fill an episode without resorting to showing a real life "exorcist" and "exorcism" and witches/dark magicians.

The Poltergeist covered the 3 films and plenty of subject matter. I guess it helped that they got the Poltergeist 3 director as well.

The Crow one covering both Brandon and Bruce as well as going into detail and demoing what happened to Brandon.

And for The Twilight zone one, 10 minutes in, I was wondering how John Landis was still working and it just got worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Steven Soderbergh Says He’s Written ‘Sex, Lies, And Videotape’ Sequel During Lockdown
    Writer-director Steven Soderbergh says he’s written a sequel to his 1989 breakthrough Sex, Lies, and Videotape, and hopes to get it on screen.

In a remote interview on the YouTube series Flaviar’s NightCap Live (watch it below) Soderbergh tells host Dan Dunn that he’s written three screenplays during the coronavirus shutdown, one of which is a sequel to his 1989 Cannes Palme d’Or winner Sex Lies, and Videotape.

The director said the sequel is “an idea that had been circling for a while.” (The other two lockdown screenplays include a rewritten script and a novel adaptation; he didn’t provide details.)

“When the lockdown happened here in New York,” Soderbergh says, “in order to stay organized and sane, I decided I’m going to write…So within the first 6 or 7 weeks of the lockdown, I finished 3 screenplays. One of them was a rewrite, one of them was an original, and one was an adaptation of a novel that I’ve been wanting to do. The original was a sequel to Sex, Lies, and Videotape. It was an idea that had been circling for a while, and I felt like I came up with the way to get back in, and so I wrote it, and I want to make it.”

Soderbergh did not provide plot details of the sequel.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/steven-soderbergh-sex-lies-and-videotape-sequel-nightcap-live-1202939344/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

Scott Derrickson is going to direct a sequel to Labyrinth now that he is no longer on Dr Strange 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching the Cursed Films series from Shudder. Each episode covering a film. So the Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Omen, The Crow and Twilight Zone.

Was an interesting series as there were some details I wasn't familiar with, around things like Brandon Lee's death and the Poltergeist related deaths. Wasn't a fan of The Exorcist episode as it and the Oman had very fillery content. But the most shocking one, as I hadn't seen the footage or even heard the story before was The Twilight Zone, where they showed the footage of the accident.

I was genuinely upset by the Twilight Zone one - I had a notion that people had died during the production, but was not expecting to be shown the footage of the accident that killed them. I would've appreciated at least a warning, frankly.

Landis came across as a world-class bellend, IMO - blathering about "being immortalised in film" at Morrow's funeral as though that's any comfort for a family that's been bereaved because of his insistence on putting a notion of realism ahead of safety for his cast and crew. Between that and paying the child actors under the table so that they wouldn't be on the books, I was stunned that he got to make as many subsequent films as he did.

Advertisement