Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Model S vs new Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Exciting, no... Impatient, absolutely.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If the end of 2020 is drawing close, it'd be a pretty stressful month. Several thousand euro in the difference between collecting/importing in 2020 vs 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldnt be pressing buy on a UK car in Q4 '20 as it stands I can tell you that.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wouldnt be pressing buy on a UK car in Q4 '20 as it stands I can tell you that.

Sure you'd only be selling it in Q1 '21 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

Is that being ultra cautious or do you think it could genuinely take a good bit longer than a month in some cases? I ask as, on the flip-side, I would also hope to hold out to see if prices drop a bit towards the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Sorry, probably shouldn’t hijack thread.

Who does good finance these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    No an X isn't an option. Even I'd find that too big to drive.

I wasn't sure so I looked it up. The Model X is only a little bit longer, but it is over 10cm wider. And that's a lot coming from an already very wide Model S.

Model S - 196cm
    Model X - 207cm
    Cybertruck - 208cm
    Hummer - 220cm

For reference, a BMW 7-series and a Mercedes S-class are substantially narrower than a Model S, both at 190cm and an Audi A8 or Lexus LS460 are far narrower than that again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

No an X isn't an option. Even I'd find that too big to drive.
    unkel wrote: »
    I wasn't sure so I looked it up. The Model X is only a little bit longer, but it is over 10cm wider. And that's a lot coming from an already very wide Model S.

Can confirm, the X is a boat. I'm trying to break it to my wife gently that shopping centres with multi-story car parks are not going to be a feature of our lives for a while. I genuinely thought I was going to beach it in Fleet St car park last time.

The good thing is that if your missus is used to the Model X, you can confidently get a Cybertruck next :p

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Can confirm, the X is a boat. I'm trying to break it to my wife gently that shopping centres with multi-story car parks are not going to be a feature of our lives for a while. I genuinely thought I was going to beach it in Fleet St car park last time.

Trying to figure out how much of that is in jest. Are you really going to have to swerve multi-story car parks? Size is one thing, but what about the doors?

Some multi-stories in Dublin in the Model S will be problematic. And I'm used to big cars. I don't think I would even try the tighter ones in a Model X.

I'd tackle a multi storey in an S. Actually my first ever drive in a Model S was in one, that's where I collected it. Nerve wracking I must admit.

But my wife would never dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Trying to figure out how much of that is in jest. Are you really going to have to swerve multi-story car parks? Size is one thing, but what about the doors?

Only partly joking :) I've never had a problem fitting in a space or getting the doors opened (although some spaces can be totally consumed by the width of the X) but I find some ramps and bends can be tricky to navigate. For me, that's a factor of both the width and ride height of the car. I've never driven a CUV/SUV before so I'm more comfortable with saloons and their height. Judging where the horrible concrete plinths are waiting to savage your wheels as you go up a ramp and round a corner at the same time can be tricky. It'll come with experience.

Despite the plethora of sensors around the vehicle, they're basically useless in narrow conditions. Reverse into a parking space at a 45 degree angle and you'd swear you were about to drive into a wall at full speed. On the other hand, drive between two narrow concrete plinths and not a dicky bird out of it.

Sure you'd only be selling it in Q1 '21 anyways.
    :D
    Is that being ultra cautious or do you think it could genuinely take a good bit longer than a month in some cases? I ask as, on the flip-side, I would also hope to hold out to see if prices drop a bit towards the end of the year.
    No it's being genuine.
    My order took over a month and that was with me emailing and phoning lots to push it
    I'd tackle a multi storey in an S. Actually my first ever drive in a Model S was in one, that's where I collected it. Nerve wracking I must admit.

But my wife would never dare.
    It's a task, the steering lock is crap and the car is wide. Even my local one (navan shopping centre) is a mini struggle. I'll never forget taking the loaner S I had to the point theater carpark though. That was a struggle. Can only imagine it in an x. And I've driven fullsize american pickups.

Took my S through a tight McDonalds drive thru last week. I was pretty confident I was fine, but I know I didn't have more than about a few cm on either side in a tight bend. And the car was going bananas with the PDC beeping. I don't want to be sexist, but I'd say the missus would not have enjoyed that experience. I'd say the S can do all the Dublin multi-stories. But some of them will be very tight like that in some of the bends at the end of on / off ramps. Also perpendicular park in the likes of shopping centres and you will have to be careful opening the doors. But I guess that's the norm even in modest size cars now. The parking spaces are made for the tiny cars we had in the 60s / 70s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

... The parking spaces are made for the tiny cars we had in the 60s / 70s to maximise revenue stream

FYP, sure same in the States

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

No not sure same in the States. Parking spaces there are much bigger!

But I guess they could be based on the cars they had in the 60s / 70s too :p

X1-Cont-2-1024x560.png

slave1 wrote: »
    FYP, sure same in the States
    No, there's a good difference in the states, the sizes of both standard road width and standard carpark space width are wider.
    You can easily fit a ford F350 pickup into a multi storey in the US.
    You can barely fit them between some road lines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Teslafan

Hi All,

Recently I put up a thread on the original S forum (now locked) to say I had a Model S for sale. 182 75D Premium 20KM. Private seller.

I don't want to bore you with too many details as I know this isn't cars for sale thread and against boards rules, pm me if interested.

• Advertisement

Teslafan wrote: »
    Hi All,

Recently I put up a thread on the original S forum (now locked) to say I had a Model S for sale. 182 75D Premium 20KM. Private seller.

I don't want to bore you with too many details as I know this isn't cars for sale thread and against boards rules, pm me if interested.

There's a thread here for that:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057599743/64/

You could bore us with the price and some pics there.

Hi All,

Hi Teslafan, and welcome to boards.ie!

There is a thread in this forum where you can put up your car for sale, it is here:

Linky

But seeing as some people reading in here might be interested in your car, what sort of money are you looking for, what options does your car have and why are you selling it?

60K ish, not decided, EAP, security package, half leather, high fidelity audio, premium package. Blue, Dark Ash, Air Suspension, Great car in as new condition @ good price...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

60K ish, not decided, EAP, security package, half leather, high fidelity audio, premium package. Blue, Dark Ash, Air Suspension, Great car in as new condition @ good price...

That's a good price. Out of my budget , but good luck with the sale.

Decent price. I take it that's HW2.5? What Tesla warranty is left? GLWS.

What's the reason for sale if I my ask?

Yes, fair enough price, a different buyer to those looking at used S vs new 3 at that price though.
    HW2 / 2.5 and possible FSD would be a great to have.

Decent price. I take it that's HW2.5? What Tesla warranty is left? GLWS.

What's the reason for sale if I my ask?

Its Sep '18 so HW 2.5. It's not being used at all, I'm a home worker and its just sitting there.

PCP quote for an e-Niro, €5k down, €600 x 36, final value €14,998.

With a cash price of €40,995 that seems like a good price, no? Only €600 for the finance basically.

Awaiting a trade in value to see if it would be worth parting with the i3 through them.

It's not being used at all, I'm a home worker and its just sitting there.
    Same for myself (and I reached a similar conclusion)
    We've been told off the record that our jobs are likely to remain as WFH optional indefinitely. With that, I don't need a long range EV anymore.
    PCP quote for an e-Niro, €5k down, €600 x 36, final value €14,998.

With a cash price of €40,995 that seems like a good price, no? Only €600 for the finance basically.

Awaiting a trade in value to see if it would be worth parting with the i3 through them.

That's a pretty good deal if the eniro suits your needs and you don't have an inherent need to drink the musk kool aid. Out of the triplets (niro/kona/soul) I think the eniro is the most practical.

• Advertisement

That's a pretty good deal if the eniro suits your needs and you don't have an inherent need to drink the musk kool aid. Out of the triplets (niro/kona/soul) I think the eniro is the most practical.

It does meet my needs, even with my heavy foot I should get about 300km worst case, and 350-400km in more normal circumstances.

However the question you just answered elsewhere might actually be a deal breaker. Not being able to change from km to miles. Ridiculous as it may sound, I grew up on miles and I still think in miles. Do most of my driving in the North too, so still on miles.

I don't want a car with only km on the display. If I can't change it, it's a dead duck.

Advertisement