Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Releases 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well it seems Barry worked for Drew as its now being reported that he has resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The whole Drake Maverick thing is messy isn't it?
    Is it a work? Was it just WWE turning something real into a storyline?

On a side-note Mavericks emotional video was even weird. Most guys put on a face and thank WWE and others for X amount of years and say they'll be off to do bigger and better things. They don't get emotional even if they are gutted on the inside. But with maverick he came out looking like he was about to ball his eyes out.

Real?
    Also a work?
    Him trying to get "emotional" to try and save his job?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see Impact had a promo video for Deonna Purrazzo this week.

Nigel McGuinness was furloughed as well

Impact did a good tease for Slammiversary showing clips of all the talent that worked for them before and the Bulgarian flag.

https://twitter.com/TablesTlp/status/1268001995585134594?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rusev to Impact is interesting.

I'd have thought he'd go for AEW, but he'd probably be at the same level (upper-mid/jobber to the stars) there long term. In Impact, he'll probably be in a better spot to be THE guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lord TSC wrote: »

I'd have thought he'd go for AEW, but he'd probably be at the same level (upper-mid/jobber to the stars) there long term. In Impact, he'll probably be in a better spot to be THE guy.

Could eventually lead to a wwe return like Drew and Lashley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

hes live in nashville (along with sheamus) where they tape shows so its prob a great deal for both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

In a year where WWE have worst promotional tactic wrapped up several times over, the worked shoot firing/rehiring of Maverick still stands out as a classless move. They fired/furloughed over a hundred people and they use that for a crappy storyline for TV. As a little extra bonus they did a woeful job of presenting the story and it added nothing ratings wise in a nothing tournament. Then they have the audacity to offer some guys that they fired contracts on worse terms. In a year where they're gonna make record profits. There's no two ways about it, it's pure trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Gold Standard TM of worked shoots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Do I agree with the firings, no. Not a good move.

But Im happy for Spud, hes one of the most hardest working guys in pro wrestling. WWE have done a lot worse over the years. At least in the end here, 1 guy kept his job.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Do I agree with the firings, no. Not a good move.

But Im happy for Spud, hes one of the most hardest working guys in pro wrestling. WWE have done a lot worse over the years. At least in the end here, 1 guy kept his job.

Over a hundred people lost their job in a pandemic when the chances of being hired are slim to none! They trotted out Spud and worked an angle where a man was fighting for his livelihood on TV, except there's over a hundred people who have legitimately just lost their livelihood. They did it to try to paint themselves in a positive, charitable light after probably the worst round of firings in company history. There's no positives here. Record profits this year, record profits without having to sell a single ticket for the rest of the year.

In a pandemic think about this

Where were the AEW releases? Nowhere. They actually hired people. The company is just over a year old.
    Where were the NJPW releases? Nowhere. They've not run a single show but still they've not fired anyone, Bushiroad execs taking huge salary decreases to avoid firings.
    Where were the Impact releases? Nowhere, they've actually been hiring people.
    Where were the ROH releases? Nowhere and they've not run during this.
    Where were the NWA releases? Nobody fired, no shows run, some guys offered reduced contracts, Billy Corgan paying people out of his own pocket.

WWE set to make record profits, the kind of money those companies could not dream of and they fire/furlough over a hundred people when those people can't get a job. There's no defence for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Still it's fictional tv ... so they are right to make a story out of it.

Guerrero' s death was used, Bearers death was used, he'll Shawn Michaels being beaten up by the marines was used.

It's a storyline, i don't see much wrong with it.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Still it's fictional tv ... so they are right to make a story out of it.

Guerrero' s death was used, Bearers death was used, he'll Shawn Michaels being beaten up by the marines was used.

It's a storyline, i don't see much wrong with it.

Aside from the fact that the only purpose of a storyline of an employee grovelling for his job off a company that fired him is to make the company look benevolent (it couldn't possibly look less so unless they literally started ripping food out of the mouths of employee's kids on live TV).

Why would anyone in their right mind think using Guerrero's or Bearer's death as props for storyline be OK? But that's just going down a rabbit hole of trash moves.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't see anything wrong with Triple H posing beside Maverick acting like WWE have acted charitably when honestly they're behaviour throughout this entire pandemic has been a disgrace from start to finish. From bribes, to crazy work schedules they had to revise due to backlash, to mass firing/furloughing in the most profitable year in the history of any wrestling company ever, to the crazy treatment of the PC trainees in the crowd, to running a cop angle at just the wrong time, to the muddled response to the black lives matter movement and everything in between that I can't think of off the top of my head. This will come across as a rant and that's probably what it is but they've been at their dirt worst this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Aside from the fact that the only purpose of a storyline of an employee grovelling for his job off a company that fired him is to make the company look benevolent (it couldn't possibly look less so unless they literally started ripping food out of the mouths of employee's kids on live TV).

Why would anyone in their right mind think using Guerrero's or Bearer's death as props for storyline be OK? But that's just going down a rabbit hole of trash moves.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't see anything wrong with Triple H posing beside Maverick acting like WWE have acted charitably when honestly they're behaviour throughout this entire pandemic has been a disgrace from start to finish. From bribes, to crazy work schedules they had to revise due to backlash, to mass firing/furloughing in the most profitable year in the history of any wrestling company ever, to the crazy treatment of the PC trainees in the crowd, to running a cop angle at just the wrong time, to the muddled response to the black lives matter movement and everything in between that I can't think of off the top of my head. This will come across as a rant and that's probably what it is but they've been at their dirt worst this year.

Not saying they haven't, I've struggled with my morals supporting the company over the passed year.

I used the guerrero and bearer example as it's to be expected from them to turn reality into storyline. Is it ok, i dunno , it's a fictional universe. I'm an adult, i can handle real life themes. It works sometimes , sometimes it doesn't. That's the creative process.

Weather started as a storyline or turned into one, it was worth doing. Wrestling and arts in general should be used as an avenue to explore real life issues. Its what made Muhammed Hassan compelling, the Hardy and Edge storyline likewise. Using Jeff's problems recently and when fueding with Punk in 09 works when Hawk and Halls alcohol abuse storyline didn't work, ones in bad taste ones a great storyline.

On the other side of it, with people losing their job, a man works incredibly hard to get his job back ultimately falls at tge last hurdle but his effort and perseverance is recognised and he is hired back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The whole thing with the cops and everything was just unfortunate timing as that episode was prerecorded and the entire episode was built around it.

The whole emotional drake Maverick video was a strange one.
    Theres a tradition when you get realised from WWE and that's you thank whoever, say you are grateful for your run and this isn't the last you've seen of me. Etc etc. You'd love to get another job there in the future but you don't want to come off as bitter or sore.

But yet Maverick looked like he was gonna sob his eyes out... Dare I be blunt coming off as a little crybaby. Everyone else was doing the usual response of thank you. Even tho many am sure felt devastated on the inside.

I guess now that the result is in we can see why Maverick played it like that. As he was never released. Building up to a storyline of this guy who wants his job and God dammit he gonna fight for it blah blah blah. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

I have read comments by others who were very "defensive" of anything negative said to Mavericks video (to those calling him a bitch etc) on other websites and ... I think it has to be said that they all got worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The whole emotional drake Maverick video was a strange one.
    Theres a tradition when you get realised from WWE and that's you thank whoever, say you are grateful for your run and this isn't the last you've seen of me. Etc etc. You'd love to get another job there in the future but you don't want to come off as bitter or sore.

But yet Maverick looked like he was gonna sob his eyes out... Dare I be blunt coming off as a little crybaby. Everyone else was doing the usual response of thank you. Even tho many am sure felt devastated on the inside.

I guess now that the result is in we can see why Maverick played it like that. As he was never released. Building up to a storyline of this guy who wants his job and God dammit he gonna fight for it blah blah blah. Yadda Yadda Yadda.

I have read comments by others who were very "defensive" of anything negative said to Mavericks video (to those calling him a bitch etc) on other websites and ... I think it has to be said that they all got worked.

I'm sure WWE love the optics of it. "Get sacked from WWE and you'll be a broken, blubbering mess. That's how much WWE means to people, they love working for us!"

Instead of people like The Revival, EC3, Deonna Purrazzo etc being like "Whatever" and walking into a new gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭the eternal struggler

I think ye are giving WWE too much credit if I'm honest. I think Spud cried his eyes out like a little bitch and it's organically turned into this for him. WWE couldn't come up with a story like this, it's not possible for them they literally don't have the capacity to plan that far in advance for one.

I think ye are giving WWE too much credit if I'm honest. I think Spud cried his eyes out like a little bitch and it's organically turned into this for him. WWE couldn't come up with a story like this, it's not possible for them they literally don't have the capacity to plan that far in advance for one.

I think you may be right eternal.
    Can I be honest? Before the whole him getting his job back I thought he was a little bitch for that video. He was essentially crying for his job. You wouldn't see many wrestlers doing the same.

But you know the messed up thing? If I or anyone else would have said that 4 weeks ago then a big moan-fest would have ensured with them getting banned. Like they were some unsympathetic ars*hole etc. Yet here we are.

• Advertisement

When I saw the first video of him crying all I could think was gimmick infringement.

giphy.gif

hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Woah, Chris Crocker. I wonder what they're up to in 2020!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

. I think Spud cried his eyes out like a little bitch and it's organically turned into this for him.
    I think you may be right eternal.
    Can I be honest? Before the whole him getting his job back I thought he was a little bitch for that video. He was essentially crying for his job. You wouldn't see many wrestlers doing the same.

But you know the messed up thing? If I or anyone else would have said that 4 weeks ago then a big moan-fest would have ensured with them getting banned. Like they were some unsympathetic ars*hole etc. Yet here we are.

Jesus, lads :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if wrestling fans really can't take a step back and see that getting to WWE is the pinacle for a lot of people who spends years and decades putting themselves through absolute torture to get to the top of the wrestling industry.

Calling him a "bitch" for being upset is hilariously small-minded. He's 37 and in the midst of a global pandemic, he saw his dream career disappearing from underneath his feet through no fault of his own. He is someone who has worked tirelessly to get to WWE, and when there, threw himself into any and all angles they gave him. He fed off scraps at times, but still continued to get the crowds invested into him.

I'm not usually one to moan about toxic masculinity, but the utter lack of empathy calling him a "bitch" shows is shocking. I'm thrilled for ye that you've never been in a situation where everything you've worked towards over decades has been stripped away from you overnight.

Fair play to the lads who walked away with the positive attitude. There was of course people like Rusev or FTR who had wanted out well before they got the boot due to global events. That doesn't mean everyone will be thrilled to go, especially not someone of Drake's age and profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Genuinely assumed it was a parody account when I saw that first. A company as tone deaf as the President they support.

Email Lio sent to management in November 2018.

Dear [redacted], I would like to bring to your attention behavior that has escalated over the past 2 weeks. The situation started with a fairly mellow conversation with [redacted] after a bus ride he pulled me to the side and explained how it's expected as a gesture of respect for the new wrestlers to offer beers and drinks to the guys who've been here longer and ask that i also help carry coolers off the bus.
    "I didn't think much of this until another conversation was brought to me by one of the [redacted] who re enforced what [redacted] had said and advised me that it was in my best interest to comply as well as telling me that new wrestlers are expected to help carry the older guys bags off from underneath the bus

"The situation took a more negative turn when [redacted] approached me about the same subject during my personal time, and added the warning that other wrestlers are talking negatively behind my back because of my unwillingness to hand out alcohol and carry other wrestlers bags.

"The situation drastically escalated at the bologna (Italy) live event 20 mins before i was scheduled to perform. Once again, [redacted] pulled me to the side in gorilla telling me that other wrestlers are continuing to talk negatively about me and advised that i comply with the demands of the other wrestlers. Further more he told me that a female wrestler had accused my fiance of entering the female locker room.

"The negative gossip surrounding my name has escalated to out right lies in order to damage my professional reputation. At no point did my fiance enter the female locker room or any locker room for that matter. WWE security were witness to myself and my fiance waiting in the stands pre show for 4 hours.

"As for the continued harassment to serve other wrestlers with beer and to carry their luggage, i fundamentally disagree with this type of hazing. It is not within my job description or contract to perform duties of this kind. I would like it to be noted that i don't consider myself above any particular type of task, when breaking down rings at NXT was apart of my duties, i performed all duties happily and professionally. However what i am being told to do here is degrading and unprofessional. I don't believe that any of us are above or below each other, no one should be asked to serve another person or carry their belongings, but i feel very strongly about this matter being a young African American male. I find these demands to be racially insensitive. I feel that my non compliance has resulted in a escalating harassment that i find to be unacceptable. I would like to discuss this matter with you in person as soon as possible. I appreciate your time."

For too long now I’ve dealt with a lot of bad publicity, rumours and stories on the internet that attack, not just me as a wrestler, but attack my integrity. The attacks on my character have gone on too long without my side being heard.
    With everything going on in the world and a lot of social issues being brought to the forefront, I have to empower others by empowering myself. How can we expect change without sharing the experiences that illustrate the insensitivities that divide us?

Please be clear, I am in no way insinuating that the WWE is a racist company, nor am I commenting on the racial attitudes of any of the companies individuals. However, this email shows that I expressed concerns of racial insensitivity and my feelings as a young African American male to the WWE office during the incidents that have brought so much negativity to my name.
    Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBEEC1npPTC/

Jesus, lads :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if wrestling fans really can't take a step back and see that getting to WWE is the pinacle for a lot of people who spends years and decades putting themselves through absolute torture to get to the top of the wrestling industry.

Calling him a "bitch" for being upset is hilariously small-minded. He's 37 and in the midst of a global pandemic, he saw his dream career disappearing from underneath his feet through no fault of his own. He is someone who has worked tirelessly to get to WWE, and when there, threw himself into any and all angles they gave him. He fed off scraps at times, but still continued to get the crowds invested into him.

I'm not usually one to moan about toxic masculinity, but the utter lack of empathy calling him a "bitch" shows is shocking. I'm thrilled for ye that you've never been in a situation where everything you've worked towards over decades has been stripped away from you overnight.

Fair play to the lads who walked away with the positive attitude. There was of course people like Rusev or FTR who had wanted out well before they got the boot due to global events. That doesn't mean everyone will be thrilled to go, especially not someone of Drake's age and profile.

Oh stop with your goody too shoes attitude.
    He is a bitch. Just look to countless other wrestlers who got the sack. They weren't crying over social media. Nah. You show decorum. You may be destroyed on the inside but you don't show it.

But small minded?
    toxic masculinity?

May I ask when did your balls drop off? :pac: or where you born without them? :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Oh stop with your goody too shoes attitude.
    He is a bitch. Just look to countless other wrestlers who got the sack. They weren't crying over social media. Nah. You show decorum. You may be destroyed on the inside but you don't show it.

But small minded?
    toxic masculinity?

May I ask when did your balls drop off? :pac: or where you born without them? :pac:

Even if that wasn’t a mod you were addressing I’d be inclined to remind you that isn’t a smart way to address other posters that it is in fact something that may have already been reported so despite the :pac: I’d hope you just take this as a kind reminder from another and watch your posting style As that way I won’t have to put my mod hat on.

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Seriously? Are you trying to be an asshole!

Benny, perhaps I was too lenient on him (so I will be with you) with my reminder above but you cannot abuse other posters either even if they are acting poorly let’s say.

• Advertisement

I think I called it last night...

To shift things for a second I think there is something really messed up about the PW forum. If you post something that goes against "popular opinion" than its open season and many users like to gang up and have a circle jerk if I am to be honest.

So I called Drake a bitch. Now let's all step back for a second. A random and anonymous internet user called Drake a bitch. Other random and anonymous internet users defend him. We're hardly bringing in new government policies here lads :pac: remember that.

Advertisement