Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Gintonious wrote: »
    Incredible that Obama even has to do this. Can't wait to see what Trump says to this.

Obama doing Trump's job for him as he is too scared to come out of his bunker!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That link wasn't working for me:

Mattis tears into Trump: 'We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/politics/mattis-statement-trump/index.html

---

He's really really gunning for him here. I just can't see with this pressure piling upon Trump from all sides from now to November how he wins. It's just not likely.

It wasn't likely for him to beat Clinton in 2016 either. This man is not normal are neither are his supporters/cult followers. People need to get out and vote this guy down and not be complacent like they were in 2016.

I think the words from Mattis today will hurt his support in the Republican party a lot.

Yes his speeches make white people feel better about themselves. Great for speeches, poor on action.

As opposed to Trump's speeches that make white nationalists feel better about themselves? I think I'll stick with Obama's messaging, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It wasn't likely for him to beat Clinton in 2016 either. This man is not normal are neither are his supporters/cult followers. People need to get out and vote this guy down and not be complacent like they were in 2016.

I think the words from Mattis today will hurt his support in the Republican party a lot.

You're right about 2016, but where are those MOR rust belt voters going to go now? A ranting ineffective racist or a folksy charming empathetic presidential Biden?

You're right about 2016, but where are those MOR rust belt voters going to go now? A ranting ineffective racist or a folksy charming empathetic presidential Biden?

Don't get me wrong, I think it was a pretty perfect storm that elected Trump in 2016 - Clinton's unpopularity, Russia meddling etc. But it would be very unwise to underestimate this man. He's done and said things that would've previously ended 100% of political careers but he keeps on trucking. It's absolutely remarkable how he's managed to get this far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No decision before august 1st according to the Biden campaign and no Kamala Harris is in no way nailed on. I don't think she would be a good VP pick as outside of California I don't know how she'd go over.

Thanks, didnt know it is being left as late as August 1st, is that normal in a Presidential race? And if not Kamala who do you think, I had heard her or Amy Kloubacher but it seems now she might have skeletons in her closet as a prosecutor in Minnesota who chose not to prosecute Derek Chavin for a previous offense. I know Biden did a town hall with Kamala recently and gushed praise on her which set off a lot of chatter that made her favourite to be picked.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Polls today have Trump losing Ohio by 2, Wisconsin by 9 and Arizona by 4

It also shows Martha McSally 13 points behind Mark Kelly in the Arizona Senate race

These are Fox News polls. There are some internal Republican polls coming out with startling figures in recent weeks.

I don’t pay much attention to these polls but there is a noticeable trend here and you can be damn sure that these polls will be driving the incumbent President even more unhinged

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Always and forever finishing with a trump excuse. Convenient as it is sad that the man warrants any form of defence.

Your definition of "excuse" is clearly different to mine. Saying it's a good thing his influence on the response is limited doesn't sound like an excuse to me.

Maybe I should change my dictionary to whatever you're using, just for consistency. I use M-W because it's convenient.
    "excuse noun
    ex·​cuse | \ ik-ˈskyüs \
    Definition of excuse
    1: the act of excusing
    2a: something offered as justification or as grounds for being excused
    b excuses plural : an expression of regret for failure to do something
    c: a note of explanation of an absence
    3: JUSTIFICATION, REASON"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Your definition of "excuse" is clearly different to mine. Saying it's a good thing his influence on the response is limited doesn't sound like an excuse to me.

Maybe I should change my dictionary to whatever you're using, just for consistency. I use M-W because it's convenient.
    "excuse noun
    ex·​cuse | \ ik-ˈskyüs \
    Definition of excuse
    1: the act of excusing
    2a: something offered as justification or as grounds for being excused
    b excuses plural : an expression of regret for failure to do something
    c: a note of explanation of an absence
    3: JUSTIFICATION, REASON"

So being a military man yourself, what do you make of Mattis' comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Speaking of that what about what the CIA has been saying? They’re warning us this smells an awful lot like a country collapsing. And they know a thing or two because they’ve collapsed one or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Overheal wrote: »
    Speaking of that what about what the CIA has been saying? They’re warning us this smells an awful lot like a country collapsing. And they know a thing or two because they’ve collapsed one or two.

Especially as the dissent is coming from the top down, not the roots up, unless the voters decide to end Trumps game of turning the U.S into a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

duploelabs wrote: »
    So being a military man yourself, what do you make of Mattis' comments?

I'd also be interested in his thoughts on the unidentified , unbadged , full kit military style units deployed across DC at the moment with apparently no identified leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The resting heart rate of highly conditioned athletes is between 40 and 60. There's not a hope in hell his is 63. More lies to add to his collection. Imagine voting for someone who can't even tell the truth about something as simple as his height. So pathetic.

The standard blood pressure measurement is 120/80, it is like they didn't want to say that is text book one, so they changed it by one. I have taken loads of readings and there is no way in hell he had that rate unless it is being artificially maintained.

listermint wrote: »
    I'd also be interested in his thoughts on the unidentified , unbadged , full kit military style units deployed across DC at the moment with apparently no identified leadership.

Apparently privateers are commonly used to guard federal buildings, no doubt the Devos family profiteering again

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And even on the 2nd attempt , when he listed a Florida address he still might have committed Voter fraud.

No one is allowed to permanently live at Mar-a-Lago - The various licences and certificates etc. all stipulate that it cannot be used as a private residence.

So - If Trump isn't legally allowed to call Mar-a-Lago his permanent residence , then his recent GOP Primary vote was illegal.

And the chances of anything actually being done about it in reality??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It wouldn’t be unusual for someone of trumps age to be on medication for high blood pressure. Not sure why he feels he has to fluff the medical. He may not be the healthiest but it’s clear he isn’t on deaths door either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

And the chances of anything actually being done about it in reality??

Is this not more a breach of planning than voter fraud though? This seems to me to be another one of a huge pile of Trumps stupid things but I’m not sure it’s as big a deal as some would have it. There are countless reasons at this stage why he shouldn’t be in the position he’s in and I think this is very far down the list.
    That said I’m enjoying the irony of him jumping up and down about voter fraud when there is little real suggestion of it and he’s possibly quite close to it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really don't care about Trump's medical, there are more important things going on, but I have a relative who is a couple of years older than Trump, who is 25 stone and is seriously/terminally ill (though currently stable) with a number of issues, but his blood pressure is in the 120/70 ish range.

Yeah it's really getting distracted IMO. As with your relative visually I'm a mess but on paper my numbers (aside from my weight) suggest I'm very fit for someone 10 years younger than me. Also for the blood pressure I would assume Trump is on something for that.

Anyway, what's the latest on last night. Quieter than the previous few nights?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

salmocab wrote: »
    Is this not more a breach of planning than voter fraud though? This seems to me to be another one of a huge pile of Trumps stupid things but I’m not sure it’s as big a deal as some would have it. There are countless reasons at this stage why he shouldn’t be in the position he’s in and I think this is very far down the list.
    That said I’m enjoying the irony of him jumping up and down about voter fraud when there is little real suggestion of it and he’s possibly quite close to it himself.

It's kind of one leading to the other.

He is not legally allowed to declare Mar-a-Lago as his personal residence due to the planning laws and stipulation when they opened it.

If they challenge him on the planning aspect then that would lead to his Vote being fraudulent.

Right now , it technically isn't as he hasn't been challenged on the residence piece by the relevant local city/county authority.

But they are planning to do so , but the town council hasn't met yet due to the lockdown. They were triggered to the investigation as Trump was trying to sneak in a planning application for a boat dock (which he isn't allowed have under the planning rules) by claiming it was only for his personal use and not for the club as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm fat as **** and not fit yet have a resting heart rate under 60 and perfect blood pressure. Life ain't fair.

That's lunacy!
    I'm a couple of inches taller than Don, 30 odd years younger, and 30lbs lighter!

I wish my BP and resting heart rate looked that good and that's with me being far more active than golfing and tweeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Overheal wrote: »

The radio silence from many news outlets on that particular news line is quite interesting IMO.

Not CT level of course, but the strange lack of awareness that many in the US have regarding the diminishment of their freedoms, the dilution of the vaunted checks and balances and the stage management of Trumpism compared to any bog standard banana republic or to use Trump's term "Shíthole" is an indictment of allowing education to be funded by property tax.

In almost any other country in the world, this is the moment that the executive steps aside, resigns, calls for want of a better term, free and fair elections.

In America, it's a Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PropJoe10 wrote: »

What is normal for you though is abnormal for someone else.

62,984,828 million people voted for Trump that is 46.1% of the American voting electorate. Reading this thread you would swear it was just a few headcases.
    Were Hillary supporters normal it could be argued she had a cult following. Remember the tears from her supporters on election night.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd certainly be concerned about an attempt to cancel the election due to a combination of civil unrest and pandemic. If anything were to happen to Ruth Bader Ginsburg then we're looking at a stacked Supreme Court who would almost certainly back the Administration in any attempt to stall or cancel elections.

As far as I can see, it is in their benefit to escalate and antagonise to draw this out as close to November as possible. It also works with downplaying covid and I wouldn't be surprised if some in the Administration would prefer if that continued to get worse also as it sows even.more distrust and discord.

The USA is at a tipping point. Either an authoritarian government takes control by the end of year, or this will result in wholesale political change in the next few years.

circadian wrote: »
    I'd certainly be concerned about an attempt to cancel the election due to a combination of civil unrest and pandemic. If anything were to happen to Ruth Bader Ginsburg then we're looking at a stacked Supreme Court who would almost certainly back the Administration in any attempt to stall or cancel elections.

As far as I can see, it is in their benefit to escalate and antagonise to draw this out as close to November as possible. It also works with downplaying covid and I wouldn't be surprised if some in the Administration would prefer if that continued to get worse also as it sows even.more distrust and discord.

The USA is at a tipping point. Either an authoritarian government takes control by the end of year, or this will result in wholesale political change in the next few years.
    If the elections are cancelled, then Nancy Pelosi becomes president in January 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭circadian

If the elections are cancelled, then Nancy Pelosi becomes president in January 2021

Thanks, didn't realise that's how it worked. I knew she was in line if anything were to happen. Trump and Pence, I guess that's a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So what do all those that profess to love the military now think that a very well respected Military leader is coming out saying that Trump is bad for the US?

That others are saying that he is wrong. It very much seems to me that they have lost their love of the country and instead devoted themselves to the love of one person. Which is course the exact opposite of what America was built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But would the idiot in chief try to find a way to circumvent that protocol by claiming special measures needed to combat <insert crisis>. As someone said if anything happens to RBG he could stack the SC and have them vote on special measures. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It's actually not that simple as congress is also getting elected and would potentially not reach the required seat numbers to be valid.

Here a good video on the potential outcomes

banie01 wrote: »
    That's lunacy!
    I'm a couple of inches taller than Don, 30 odd years younger, and 30lbs lighter!

I wish my BP and resting heart rate looked that good and that's with me being far more active than golfing and tweeting!
    it's not a particularly good resting heart rate tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But would the idiot in chief try to find a way to circumvent that protocol by claiming special measures needed to combat <insert crisis>. As someone said if anything happens to RBG he could stack the SC and have them vote on special measures. Just a thought.

I certainly think that is part of the plan, hence the attacks on mail in voting. To allow mail in voting would remove the excuse, so better to make it out as if it just is impossible and he has no option but to cancel.

Would his supporters finally see the light if he did that? Basically tearing up the constitution? I would like to think so but I seriously doubt it. They will talk about it not being right...but times are difficult and its better to have Trump in that a deranged left wing Biden.

There is no doubt that the US is facing into some very difficult times. Some really big decisions will need to be made, decisions that may have some very serious consequences. Are people prepared to look at the country before their own ideology?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement