Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Apparently he went down to his bunker on Friday for an 'inspection'. His lies are so transparent

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1268177348643389441?s=20

If I might be crude for a minute: who the f*ck does he think he's fooling? Truly the lady doth protest too much; real Father Ted, "the money was just resting in my account" waffle. Why are Paper Tigers so perversely entertaining to watch collapse? This is the big man who boasted knowing more about ISIS than the generals, cowering in his bunker from a peaceful protest (before tear-gassing them).

Could this be it? It has been said a lot across the 3 years - that this was finally the moment that put cracks in his presidency - yet ... maybe? Between this and CoVid we've seen a double header of flailing incompetence and empty bluster that's putting the country in legitimate danger. Even the GOP are keeping their distance, fleeing for the elevators rather than put up the limpest of responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Recent tweets by Trump - jesus christ, nearly 4 years of this and it still shocks to the core
    "In 3 1/2 years, I’ve done much more for our Black population than Joe Biden has done in 43 years. Actually, he set them back big time with his Crime Bill, which he doesn’t even remember. I’ve done more for Black Americans, in fact, than any President in U.S. history, with...

....the possible exception of another Republican President, the late, great, Abraham Lincoln...and it’s not even close. The Democrats know this, and so does the Fake News, but they refuse to write or say it because they are inherently corrupt! See “pinned” above."

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

"The House of Representatives unanimously voted to ban the export of tear gas to the Hong Kong police because they used "crowd control tactics...which fall short of international standards."

Read the above on twitter. Couldn't believe its true but on checking it actually is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Recent tweets by Trump - jesus christ, nearly 4 years of this and it still shocks to the core

With the possible exception!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dohnjoe wrote: »

That's good that you continue to be shocked. The day that people treat Trump's Twitter account as "normal" or "just Donald being Donald" will be a dark one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,059 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

pixelburp wrote: »
    If I might be crude for a minute: who the f*ck does he think he's fooling? Truly the lady doth protest too much; real Father Ted, "the money was just resting in my account" waffle. Why are Paper Tigers so perversely entertaining to watch collapse? This is the big man who boasted knowing more about ISIS than the generals, cowering in his bunker from a peaceful protest (before tear-gassing them).

Could this be it? It has been said a lot across the 3 years - that this was finally the moment that put cracks in his presidency - yet ... maybe? Between this and CoVid we've seen a double header of flailing incompetence and empty bluster that's putting the country in legitimate danger. Even the GOP are keeping their distance, fleeing for the elevators rather than put up the limpest of responses.

I think the bleach moment was the tipping point. I'm presuming that the old diktat that older people actually vote holds true in the US as much as here in the UK. These are people who will be well aware of their own vulnerability to the virus. They'll have been denied access to their friends, family and grandchildren and will know that under Donald Trump's tenure, over 100,000 Americans have died which is nothing short of a global disgrace for the world's richest country.

He can't bullsh*t his way around this. It's a virus, not CNN or the Democrats. It doesn't play by either his rules or those of US politics. It needs a solution devised by scientists, doctors and epidemiologists, not the "very stable genius" he attests to be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The GOP mainstream have tolerated him because he's popular and he'll satisfy their lobbyists. If he fails to win this year as seems likely IMO then they'll desert him en masse save for the most hardcore of loyalists. I employed the King John analogy before as well. Once he fails, I think something will have to change. In 1215, the English got Magna Carta. I think some sort of seismic shift needs to happen in the US. It won't happen under Biden but it's possible he might pave the way if he can hold it together.

The coalition that amassed to vote for him included social conservatives, market liberals, the elderly, evangelicals, hawks and those most concered with the economy. Now, if he opens the economy, he'll spook the older voters. If he does not, he'll alienate the market liberals. And all the while, he has defiled his country's reputation and weakened its hold as the de facto leader of the free world.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trumps been back tweeting about using the army in New York if the people in charge there don't do something about the protests, he will, with the army. Mark Esper also made it clear that he does not approve of the use of active duty units against protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think the bleach moment was the tipping point. I'm presuming that the old diktat that older people actually vote holds true in the US as much as here in the UK. These are people who will be well aware of their own vulnerability to the virus. They'll have been denied access to their friends, family and grandchildren and will know that under Donald Trump's tenure, over 100,000 Americans have died which is nothing short of a global disgrace for the world's richest country.

He can't bullsh*t his way around this. It's a virus, not CNN or the Democrats. It doesn't play by either his rules or those of US politics. It needs a solution devised by scientists, doctors and epidemiologists, not the "very stable genius" he attests to be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The GOP mainstream have tolerated him because he's popular and he'll satisfy their lobbyists. If he fails to win this year as seems likely IMO then they'll desert him en masse save for the most hardcore of loyalists. I employed the King John analogy before as well. Once he fails, I think something will have to change. In 1215, the English got Magna Carta. I think some sort of seismic shift needs to happen in the US. It won't happen under Biden but it's possible he might pave the way if he can hold it together.

The coalition that amassed to vote for him included social conservatives, market liberals, the elderly, evangelicals, hawks and those most concered with the economy. Now, if he opens the economy, he'll spook the older voters. If he does not, he'll alienate the market liberals. And all the while, he has defiled his country's reputation and weakened its hold as the de facto leader of the free world.

As much as despise them, yesterday even Joel Osteen turned up to a BLM protest and Pat Robertson had a dig at Trump. You have to feel they know which direction their congregations are moving on this.

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1267927700313903104?s=20

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1267891912910012417?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

da_miser wrote: »
    The population will now have seen the utter mismanagement of both Covid and riots by Dems, they will see how Republican run cities faired much better and want the same , whats hard to understand?

Hard to understand that anyone would actually believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Hard to understand that anyone would actually believe that.

It's like the kid that says Man U are definitely going to win the league next year because.... and then picks facts/interpretations to support that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭trashcan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    With the possible exception!?

Hey, the Don is nothing if not modest. He's a bit like Brian Clough " I'm not saying I'm the best President ever, but I'm in the top 1."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wait so Donald trump is now saying he went into the bunker for an hour to inspect it ? How bloody big is it ? I see that he'll be needing a new secretary of defence as mark Esper is distancing himself bigly from the carry on with the church and bible. Also, Donald trump looked like Del trotter holding the bible earlier in the week. It seems he held it upside down and back to front at one point. How do you hold a bible upside down or back to front when on the front it says words to the effect of "holy bible" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It seems he held it upside down and back to front at one point. How do you hold a bible upside down or back to front when on the front it says words to the effect of "holy bible" ?

Imagine Obama did that ! Hannity would explode. Not peep out of any them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wait so Donald trump is now saying he went into the bunker for an hour to inspect it ? How bloody big is it ? I see that he'll be needing a new secretary of defence as mark Esper is distancing himself bigly from the carry on with the church and bible. Also, Donald trump looked like Del trotter holding the bible earlier in the week. It seems he held it upside down and back to front at one point. How do you hold a bible upside down or back to front when on the front it says words to the effect of "holy bible" ?

There must be just enough power available to light either the bunker or the Whitehouse but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

trashcan wrote: »
    Hey, the Don is nothing if not modest. He's a bit like Brian Clough " I'm not saying I'm the best President ever, but I'm in the top 1."

Difference being that Clough wasn't lying.

A little break from the protests with news that Trump attempted to commit voter fraud.

As usual when he complains about an issue, he has likely already perpetrated it himself.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1268227785752862731?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A little break from the protests with news that Trump attempted to commit voter fraud.

As usual when he complains about an issue, he has likely already perpetrated it himself.

Hoisted with his own petard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And even on the 2nd attempt , when he listed a Florida address he still might have committed Voter fraud.

No one is allowed to permanently live at Mar-a-Lago - The various licences and certificates etc. all stipulate that it cannot be used as a private residence.

So - If Trump isn't legally allowed to call Mar-a-Lago his permanent residence , then his recent GOP Primary vote was illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

aloyisious wrote: »
    Trumps been back tweeting about using the army in New York if the people in charge there don't do something about the protests, he will, with the army. Mark Esper also made it clear that he does not approve of the use of active duty units against protestors.

This is was always going to be the defence depts reaction. Esper will probably have had a few calls with the Chief of Staff office. They wouldn't turn guns on their own people short of an emergency far greater than what's unfolding and only a stupid president (there's been a few) would think they'd just shrug at the suggestion.

If I were Trump I'd not get my hopes up for tanks on the streets

https://www.army.mil/article/236157

Is this the issue re him using Mar a Lago as his address but not isn't able to as it's not zoned for residential? Or is this an attempt to rectify that situation by using an out of state address?

• Advertisement

Is this the issue re him using Mar a Lago as his address but not isn't able to as it's not zoned for residential? Or is this an attempt to rectify that situation by using an out of state address?

Both but in the opposite order. Reporting is that he first tried to list the White House as his address, which is against Florida law. He then used Mar a Lago, which is against planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Interesting experiment, especially for the "Trump is being censored " crowd

https://twitter.com/BizarreLazar/status/1267570556880076801

Both but in the opposite order. Reporting is that he first tried to list the White House as his address, which is against Florida law. He then used Mar a Lago, which is against planning laws.

Grand. Thanks for the correction.

Seemed odd it was making the news again though.

New Biden add is great. Between that and Obama speaking at 5pm I expect we'll get some rage tweeting tonight

https://twitter.com/chrislongview/status/1268252261534388225?s=20

I watched Biden's address earlier.

It's delusional to think Trump is going to be able to attack this. He's done.

I watched Biden's address earlier.

It's delusional to think Trump is going to be able to attack this. He's done.

Based on his recent speeches, I would expect him to annihilate Trump in debates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

da_miser wrote: »
    As we have learned from Andrew Cuomo(D) governor of New York, the Mayor of NYC Bill de Blasio(D) is the one who will ask for help to quash the rioters, so far he has not, now what have all the states with riots going on in cities got in common?
    Missouri. St Louis, Dem mayor
    Georgia, Atlanta, Dem mayor
    Ohio, Columbus, Dem mayor
    North Carolina, Raleigh, Dem mayor
    Florida, Tallahassee , Dem mayor
    Indiana, Indianapolis, Dem mayor
    Tennessee, Nashville, Dem mayor
    Texas, Austin, Dem mayor

This is a huge PR win for Trump, the Dems are weak and would rather let the country burn that MAGA, Reagan style landslide in November for Trump , the Dem run cities will see the Republican ones have faired much better and they will want the same.

I suspect that the demographics of the cities in question likely have a lot more to do with the rioting than the party affiliation of the mayor (Although there is doubtless a correlation). If the rioting is being conducted by folks taking advantage of the larger protests, the protests are caused by perceived injustice to the black community, and blacks in particular are inclined to protest the injustice done to themselves, it does not strike me as unreasonable that the riots are happening in those cities. I've seen nothing indicating that the mayors of all stripes aren't handling these things reasonably well. Indeed, the only politician who, thus far, seems to be doing a less than acceptable job is the President. Fortunately, again, he's limited in this case by the structure of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I suspect that the demographics of the cities in question likely have a lot more to do with the rioting than the party affiliation of the mayor (Although there is doubtless a correlation). If the rioting is being conducted by folks taking advantage of the larger protests, the protests are caused by perceived injustice to the black community, and blacks in particular are inclined to protest the injustice done to themselves, it does not strike me as unreasonable that the riots are happening in those cities. I've seen nothing indicating that the mayors of all stripes aren't handling these things reasonably well. Indeed, the only politician who, thus far, seems to be doing a less than acceptable job is the President. Fortunately, again, he's limited in this case by the structure of the country.

Always and forever finishing with a trump excuse. Convenient as it is sad that the man warrants any form of defence.

Based on his recent speeches, I would expect him to annihilate Trump in debates.

If the networks have any sense they'll have them without an audience too. Really bury him.

• Advertisement

If the networks have any sense they'll have them without an audience too. Really bury him.

Most likely considering how Trump is handling the pandemic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement