Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Overheal wrote: »
    When you consider you know who your ancestors were, and weren’t shipped a world away to be a slave. Yeah. Racism didn’t end with emancipation. It didn’t end with the right to vote either.

Sorry but there are inescapable realities in play.

What are you trying to get at with all your post on this thread? What is your proposed solution?

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

I wonder how much Corona was spread yesterday during that protest?

I don't think that much. They usually only drink those craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,106 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So where would it end?

When blacks are given the same dignity in this country, especially as it pertains to law enforcement, as an Irish or an Italian or a Jew. Just three races of Americans who went through integration much faster than blacks, who didn’t choose to be brought here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Can you post evidence for this claim please?

I don't think I will, no.

Earlier you came up with this gem: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113619614

It has now been totally debunked, the lights were not turned off at the White House, and the Park Police have confirmed that they did not use tear gas.

Are you going to delete it?

Maybe then I'll post the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

2u2me wrote: »
    What is being asked for Overheal? What are they demanding?

In fact you answered this the other night "Police accountability".

Do you not see that this goal has no end? It has no way of being achieved. If they asked that police can no longer use such force during arrests I'm sure the whole country would be on board. Laws and rulesbooks would quickly be rewritten. That's not the direction the media are spinning it. This is largely senseless violence and destruction.

If you ever bothered to look, there are plenty of ways for it to be achieved. I'd expect most you wouldn't like if they were taken away in Ireland but they aren't in place in the US.

Here are just a few:
    • Implement independent bodies for police oversight (like Ireland does). Only a few cities have these, mostly cops investigate cops.
    • Make complaints against police officers public (definitely successful complaints). Currently a cop can get fired in one town and his file is sealed and he can go to the next town and get a job.
    • Federally define what necessary force means. Currently it is state by state and many times not clearly defined so lawyers find loop holes.
    • Increase training for police officers. Some places you get a badge and a gun after a month training.
    • Bring back Consent Decrees to assess trends in minority targeting.
    • Demand body camera use by all police officers nationwide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its not that simple. Its the legacy of slavery and resulting institutional suppression of blacks in America by the system of society that the Americans have built.

Here is a FACT that can be checked but no doubt I will be skating on thin ice posting it.

The slave trade was largely Jewish run and Jewish families were the highest per capita slave owners followed second by free black men who also held slaves white people did also have slaves but at a much lower percentage.

I have no doubt the above paragraph will cause outrage but it is factually true.

However non of that matters we are living in 2020 slavery ended in 1865 and I would not hold anybody to account for it now as they are all long dead.

Cops in this case was pure cold blooded murder and all four of them need to be locked away.
    That is not an excuse for violence looting and rioting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Your constant ranting about the media is bizarre, this problem goes back a lot lot further than the modern news media.

My 'rantings' were associated with evidence being provided each time. Just about any of the t.v. reports from CNN, an article from the guardian comes to mind, and now one from yesterday fresh off the presses from the atlantic have a gander let me know what you think.

I believe it is stoking a narrative that violence is the only way left, without even offering up a goal. Don't you see how dangerous this is?
    Since the beginning of this country, riots and violent rhetoric have been markers of patriotism
    “Give me liberty or give me death,”
    “We won’t be their Negroes.”
    It is easy to dismiss the rock thrower; Attucks himself was accused of throwing sticks. But those who rebuke violent responses to injustice should ask themselves: How should the oppressed respond to their oppressors?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I wonder how much Corona was spread yesterday during that protest?

You weren't listening to our leader today then...Racism is the real virus...according to Leo...not the one that infected 25,000 killing 1,600 of us and ground our economy to a halt costing us billions and destroying our economy, not to mention the huge cost to our collective mental well being or to those who haven't been able to access health services....no...racism....in America is the real virus!!!!

When blacks are given the same dignity in this country, especially as it pertains to law enforcement, as an Irish or an Italian or a Jew. Just three races of Americans who went through integration much faster than blacks, who didn’t choose to be brought here.

That sounds fair enough..
    Do you think the black community have a responsibility to address issues related to crime in their communities?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If you ever bothered to look, there are plenty of ways for it to be achieved. I'd expect most you wouldn't like if they were taken away in Ireland but they aren't in place in the US.

Here are just a few:
    • Implement independent bodies for police oversight (like Ireland does). Only a few cities have these, mostly cops investigate cops.
    • Make complaints against police officers public (definitely successful complaints). Currently a cop can get fired in one town and his file is sealed and he can go to the next town and get a job.
    • Federally define what necessary force means. Currently it is state by state and many times not clearly defined so lawyers find loop holes.
    • Increase training for police officers. Some places you get a badge and a gun after a month training.
    • Bring back Consent Decrees to assess trends in minority targeting.
    • Demand body camera use by all police officers nationwide

To be fair...that all makes sense...that would take a huge sign to convey though..best go with "Abolish The Police"

• Advertisement

gary550 wrote: »
    What are you trying to get at with all your post on this thread? What is your proposed solution?

I’m here balancing discussion with people who can’t see the wood from the trees.

The solution is for law enforcement to treat everyone justly and for there to be safeguards in place to enforce that. It doesn’t happen. I have given numerous examples, white and black.

Blacks continuing to be treated like 2nd class citizens will have limited opportunity to not act like it.

Foxtrol wrote: »

[/LIST]

I'm not disputing the ways it can be achieved. I'm highlighting the fact that the media are completely ignoring this as well as the leadership in all areas while quickly jumping on the narrative that violence is the only way left, without having explored their demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Here is a FACT that can be checked but no doubt I will be skating on thin ice posting it.

The slave trade was largely Jewish run and Jewish families were the highest per capita slave owners followed second by free black men who also held slaves white people did also have slaves but at a much lower percentage.

I have no doubt the above paragraph will cause outrage but it is factually true.

However non of that matters we are living in 2020 slavery ended in 1865 and I would not hold anybody to account for it now as they are all long dead.

Cops in this case was pure cold blooded murder and all four of them need to be locked away.
    That is not an excuse for violence looting and rioting.

What does it matter if they were Jewish?

You could say the Troubles "ended" with the belfast agreement but the legacy of that time remains and still flares up from time to time. You may remember the journalist that was murdered a few years ago?

Just because slavery ended in 1865 doesn't mean that the next day black people in America were suddenly free and equal. Not a whole lot has changed since the civil rights movement in the 60s, and with growing inequality in America since then the situation is getting worse not better.

Why do you think this keeps happening again and again every few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nermal wrote: »
    I don't think I will, no.

Earlier you came up with this gem: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113619614

It has now been totally debunked, the lights were not turned off at the White House, and the Park Police have confirmed that they did not use tear gas.

Are you going to delete it?

Maybe then I'll post the evidence.

debunked by who exactly? This priest who was there is lying then?

https://religionnews.com/2020/06/02/ahead-of-trump-bible-photo-op-police-forcibly-expel-priest-from-st-johns-church-near-white-house/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I’m here balancing discussion with people who can’t see the wood from the trees.

The solution is for law enforcement to treat everyone justly and for there to be safeguards in place to enforce that. It doesn’t happen. I have given numerous examples, white and black.

Blacks continuing to be treated like 2nd class citizens will have limited opportunity to not act like it.

People here just want to talk about Trump. They are almost incapable of thinking about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You could say the Troubles "ended" with the belfast agreement but the legacy of that time remains and still flares up from time to time. You may remember the journalist that was murdered a few years ago?

Just because slavery ended in 1865 doesn't mean that the next day black people in America were suddenly free and equal. Not a whole lot has changed since the civil rights movement in the 60s, and with growing inequality in America since then the situation is getting worse not better.

That the plight of African Americans is now worse than the 60s.

Wow.

That sounds fair enough..
    Do you think the black community have a responsibility to address issues related to crime in their communities?

I think this train of thought is toxic.

It’s asking blacks, already lynched for 200 years, pushed into ghettos, etc. to be responsible for policing themselves, and lifting themselves up by their own shoelaces.

A quick pass filter against correlation and causation is in order.

Exactly. Thank you.

There reason that bit in bold matters is it seems to be white people who get the blame for slavery white privilege and so on.

Anyway 1865 and even the 60s most of us were not even born for goodness sake.
    Many cops in the United States are trigger happy morons and the amount of gang related crimes is the reason for a large police presence in black areas.

Why is the idea of black people tacking and taking some responsibility for gang crime seen as so radical?

Danzy wrote: »
    That the plight of African Americans is now worse than the 60s.

Wow.

That is not what my post said. Do you have trouble reading? It would explain a lot. I said not a whole lot has changed it didnt say it was worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

2u2me wrote: »
    I'm not disputing the ways it can be achieved. I'm highlighting the fact that the media are completely ignoring this as well as the leadership in all areas while quickly jumping on the narrative that violence is the only way left, without having explored their demands.

The problem is that the government is also ignoring it. Crushing riots is the only response of the president so far. He hasn't even mentioned that there's a reason for what's happened beyond George Floyd's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There reason that bit in bold matters is it seems to be white people who get the blame for slavery white privilege and so on.

Many cops in the United States are trigger happy morons and the amount of gang related crimes is the reason for a large police presence in black areas.

Why is the idea of black people tacking and taking some responsibility for gang crime seen as so radical?

Would you apply the same logic as regards residents of Finglas or the north/south inner city and crime?

I think this train of thought is toxic.

It’s asking blacks, already lynched for 200 years, pushed into ghettos, etc. to be responsible for policing themselves, and lifting themselves up by their own shoelaces.

A quick pass filter against correlation and causation is in order.

But like, jesus..it's a complicated situation..Of course ghettoisation is a major contributing factor, but so is the glorification of criminality in like urban black culture..Should not the pillars of the black community be doing what they can to address these?..Is that, and education not a way forward?

Like, are you suggesting defunding police forces (this is the one concrete thing I've heard people demand the last few days..) while this glamourisation of criminality is still in place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And when they've tried peaceful protest again and again and again over the last 70 years and yet the same killings keep happening again and again and again, what then?

Before going there, an observation. Sheriffs are elected. Chiefs of Police are appointed by elected representatives like mayors. If we were to go the the campaign page of one of those persons, do they have as much as a policy statement on the police use of force? If not, why is this not brought directly up to their campaigns? Why are people continuing to vote for them? The most powerful tool in the US is still the vote.

But let's go a step further. Let's work on the basis that peaceful has been tried and failed. After all, every good revolution has been illegal and often violent. (Romania strikes me as an interesting counterpoint). But is there a middle ground? In these past revolutions, who has been targeted? The American Revolution, they generally burned barracks, not merchants. Irish War of Independence, I believe the targets were the government bodies like the RIC, the Army, and the like. Even the GPO is, at least, a public asset. Even Jesus, when he flipped over the tables, left third parties alone.

What we are seeing now is a jump from "peace" to turning the dial straight to at least 9. Alienating the populace is never a good way of achieving the desired result, be the method peaceful or violent. Even those who would advocate violence should have no grounds to support what is currently happening in the US.

Ironically it is a type of soft bigotry of low expectations as coined by famous speech writer, Michael Gerson which can be reworded as

*the subtle discrimination that takes the form of setting low expectations"

Before going there, an observation. Sheriffs are elected. Chiefs of Police are appointed by elected representatives like mayors. If we were to go the the campaign page of one of those persons, do they have as much as a policy statement on the police use of force? If not, why is this not brought directly up to their campaigns? Why are people continuing to vote for them? The most powerful tool in the US is still the vote.

But let's go a step further. Let's work on the basis that peaceful has been tried and failed. After all, every good revolution has been illegal and often violent. (Romania strikes me as an interesting counterpoint). But is there a middle ground? In these past revolutions, who has been targeted? The American Revolution, they generally burned barracks, not merchants. Irish War of Independence, I believe the targets were the government bodies like the RIC, the Army, and the like. Even the GPO is, at least, a public asset. Even Jesus, when he flipped over the tables, left third parties alone.

What we are seeing now is a jump from "peace" to turning the dial straight to at least 9. Alienating the populace is never a good way of achieving the desired result, be the method peaceful or violent. Even those who would advocate violence should have no grounds to support what is currently happening in the US.

No, what we are seeing now is the same situation that has played out several times over the last 70 years or so and nothing has changed.

But like, jesus..it's a complicated situation..Of course ghettoisation is a major contributing factor, but so is the glorification of criminality in like urban black culture..Should not the pillars of the black community be doing what they can to address these?..Is that, and education not a way forward?

Like, are you suggesting defunding police forces (this is the one concrete thing I've heard people demand the last few days..) while this glamourisation of criminality is still in place?

I’m genuinely not sure what you’re talking about, but now I’m worried you will tie it back to rap music.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Would you apply the same logic as regards residents of Finglas or the north/south inner city and crime?

I grew up in not a great place and many young people got into street gangs stealing cars and joyriding.
    In middle class areas this does not really happen as there are more opportunities and less temptation.
    Having said that many people including myself and my family did not get involved in any of this and put our minds to working.

So yes while I admit growing up in a bad area makes things much harder people who choose to commit crime and get involved with gangs need to shoulder most of the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Businesses across America are boarding up their shops. Crazy to see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement