Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Floyd dies after police knelt on his neck (MOD NOTE IN POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 461 ✭✭callmehal

How many are against the protests in America because it's in support of black people? It's not easy to admit you're a racist I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

In honour of my black brothers and sisters in America, today I changed my Tinder profile picture to a black square.

In fairness it can't make my results any worse than they already were!

metallica-black-album-wallpaper_5298143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82,257 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2u2me wrote: »
    What is being asked for Overheal? What are they demanding?

In fact you answered this the other night "Police accountability".

Do you not see that this goal has no end? It has no way of being achieved. If they asked that police can no longer use such force during arrests I'm sure the whole country would be on board. Laws and rulesbooks would quickly be rewritten. That's not the direction the media are spinning it. This is largely senseless violence and destruction.

That’s the biggest lie in this entire thread to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Bull****. Everything asked for in the civil right's movement was given. What more is being asked for. If the movement asked for a change of powers available to the police they would get it.

This narrative that violence is the only answer is being stoked by the sensationalist media you consume. It's disgusting and will only lead to more deaths. The lack of awareness in how this kind of narrative is shaping events is mind-boggling, everyone can identify how Trump is making things worse, but the media and their narrative of 'institutional racism, violence is the only way left' is doing far more damage than anything else.

That a group of 4 police officers don't kill a black man and despite there being tape it take several days for 1 officer to be charged and the others are still walking the streets.

BLM have been asking for changes to police for years, they have not gotten it.

Obama didn't do enough during his time in office but the little he did was completely gutted when Trump arrived.

If anything is mind-boggling it is the ignorance of your post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Blacks people make up 13% of the Untied States population they are behind 52% of the murders they commit murders at eleven times the rate of the white population.

What that cop did was murder no doubt about it but the biggest danger to young black men in the Untied States is other young black men.

Looting burning and attacking innocent people makes it very difficult to sympathise with their cause.

Black Lives Matter don't seem to give a hoot about all the gangland shootings of young black men by other young black men.

Not to mention all the white people murdered and attacked by black people.

And why do you think that might be the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

What is being asked for Overheal? What are they demanding?

In fact you answered this the other night "Police accountability".

Do you not see that this goal has no end? It has no way of being achieved. If they asked that police can no longer use such force during arrests I'm sure the whole country would be on board. Laws and rulesbooks would quickly be rewritten. That's not the direction the media are spinning it. This is largely senseless violence and destruction.

Well, if Trump announced a far-reaching review into police recruitment, training, procedures and oversight, conducted by a body with experience, diverse representation and the power to make changes, it might help. Throw in reviews of their recommendations, some achievable goals, and maybe the odd foreign exoert with no US baggage, and it might actually make a difference. But to do that Trump first has to realise there's a problem, and he just refuses to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

callmehal wrote: »
    How many are against the protests in America because it's in support of black people? It's not easy to admit you're a racist I suppose.

To support your conclusion; you'd have to agree with the premise. I don't see how Koorboi Balla, a fireman, saved his entire life to open his dream business, a sports bar. He had to delay it's opening, his life's dream because of the lockdown and was due to open yesterday 1st June.

Koorboi never opened his bar and can be seen crying watching its destruction.

Thankfully he has raised nearly 1,000,000$ on social media. Hope he gets to open his bar one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

because of age old systemic racism that doesn't apply to 2020 to the same extent. You can change laws but you can't change hearts and minds. Divisions in America are not about race at this point, it's a class war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

MadYaker wrote: »

Let me guess it's all the fault of the white man we are all racist even if we don't know it we have privilege.:rolleyes:

Blacks people make up 13% of the Untied States population they are behind 52% of the murders they commit murders at eleven times the rate of the white population.

What that cop did was murder no doubt about it but the biggest danger to young black men in the Untied States is other young black men.

Looting burning and attacking innocent people makes it very difficult to sympathise with their cause.

Black Lives Matter don't seem to give a hoot about all the gangland shootings of young black men by other young black men.

Not to mention all the white people murdered and attacked by black people.

Another one of these “filibuster facts” as if rates of black homicide explain why it’s okay for police to murder black men already in custody, or god forbid come peeling onto the scene of a call about a child playing with toy gun in a park and blowing that kid into the afterlife without 5 seconds of thought about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Overheal wrote: »
    Another one of these “filibuster facts” as if rates of black homicide explain why it’s okay for police to murder black men already in custody, or god forbid come peeling onto the scene of a call about a child playing with toy gun in a park and blowing that kid into the afterlife without 5 seconds of thought about it.

I never said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    The particularly obvious example;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-and-frisk_in_New_York_City

"The stop-question-and-frisk program, or stop-and-frisk, in New York City, is a New York City Police Department practice of temporarily detaining, questioning, and at times searching civilians and suspects on the street for weapons and other contraband."

Ninety percent of those stopped in 2017 were African-American or Latino, mostly aged 14–24."

You don't get 90% as a figure by accident.

No, you get to it when 90% of crimes in NY are committed by that cohort.

You were asked to back up your statement that 'police departments advise and encouraged their officers to treat black men differently to white men'. Still waiting. It had better be good, to justify looting and violence.
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    When I first moved there a few years ago...

The blessed irony of posting this before a little rant about how awful the place is. And yet... people are clamouring to get in, aren't they? People of all colours, interestingly enough.

To support your conclusion; you'd have to agree with the premise. I don't see how Koorboi Balla, a fireman, saved his entire life to open his dream business, a sports bar. He had to delay it's opening, his life's dream because of the lockdown and was due to open yesterday 1st June.

Koorboi never opened his bar and can be seen crying watching its destruction.

Thankfully he has raised nearly 1,000,000$ on social media. Hope he gets to open his bar one day.

Who? Do you support the peaceful protests in support of black people?

Well, if Trump announced a far-reaching review into police recruitment, training, procedures and oversight, conducted by a body with experience, diverse representation and the power to make changes, it might help. Throw in reviews of their recommendations, some achievable goals, and maybe the odd foreign exoert with no US baggage, and it might actually make a difference. But to do that Trump first has to realise there's a problem, and he just refuses to do so.

Agreed, Trump could do that, but so could the community leaders, so could the politicians and so could the media. None of them are doing it, instead they are spinning their own sensationalist narratives.

Let me guess it's all the fault of the white man we are all racist even if we don't know it we have privilege.:rolleyes:

Its not that simple. Its the legacy of slavery and resulting institutional suppression of blacks in America by the system of society that the Americans have built.

And under Obama we began to see every department in America get equipped with body cams. But the problem is still far from solved. The cameras themselves became a problem of selective use, and when they weren’t, they uncovered new problems; incontrovertible evidence of police corruption. Planting evidence on innocent people. Shooting young men in the back. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

MadYaker wrote: »

Culture...it's the same in this country amongst the people who depend on social welfare.

Social welfare (in it's current form) just create's more problems than it solves, this much is obvious when you look at the communities or demographic that depends on social welfare the most.

You wanna a culture that is the mirror opposite look at the Asian Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nermal wrote: »
    No, you get to it when 90% of crimes in NY are committed by that cohort.

You were asked to back up your statement that 'police departments advise and encouraged their officers to treat black men differently to white men'. Still waiting. It had better be good, to justify looting and violence.

The blessed irony of posting this before a little rant about how awful the place is. And yet... people are clamouring to get in, aren't they? People of all colours, interestingly enough.

Can you post evidence for this claim please?

Agreed, Trump could do that, but so could the community leaders, so could the politicians and so could the media. None of them are doing it, instead they are spinning their own sensationalist narratives.

Your constant ranting about the media is bizarre, this problem goes back a lot lot further than the modern news media.

because of age old systemic racism that doesn't apply to 2020 to the same extent. You can change laws but you can't change hearts and minds. Divisions in America are not about race at this point, it's a class war.

No it’s also about race.

• Advertisement

callmehal wrote: »
    Who? Do you support the peaceful protests in support of black people?

I support every peaceful protest, just the ones with clear goals in minds tend to do better.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

You could try starting a thread on NEGATIVE racial experiences by white people, but it would be shut down faster than it takes a George Floyd peaceful protestor to rob a cheesecake.
    Because that’s not much unlike starting a thread about Nazis being discriminated against by Jews.

thats a good one..

ahh the old loony left word bingo at work, time to bring out the other N word.

5 across - 4 letters - "your running out of slurs to launch and cant justify your logic any more, are in danger of losing the arguement, also guranteed to show how socially just you are "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And under Obama we began to see every department in America get equipped with body cams. But the problem is still far from solved. The cameras themselves became a problem of selective use, and when they weren’t, they uncovered new problems; incontrovertible evidence of police corruption. Planting evidence on innocent people. Shooting young men in the back. Etc.
    Makes sense why they opposed bodycams. It shows they are even more incompetent than anyone thought.

I support every peaceful protest, just the ones with clear goals in minds tend to do better.

And when they've tried peaceful protest again and again and again over the last 70 years and yet the same killings keep happening again and again and again, what then?

When you consider you know who your ancestors were, and weren’t shipped a world away to be a slave. Yeah. Racism didn’t end with emancipation. It didn’t end with the right to vote either.

Sorry but there are inescapable realities in play.

Let's hope the blacks in America get some justice then.

When you consider you know who your ancestors were, and weren’t shipped a world away to be a slave. Yeah. Racism didn’t end with emancipation. It didn’t end with the right to vote either.

Sorry but there are inescapable realities in play.

So where would it end?

RIGOLO wrote: »
    thats a good one..

ahh the old loony left word bingo at work, time to bring out the other N word.

5 across - 4 letters - "your running out of slurs to launch and cant justify your logic any more, are in danger of losing the arguement, also guranteed to show how socially just you are "

:pac: Loony left! Ironing.

'White people are Nazis'.

Okay.

Not really what I was saying and I suspect you’re intelligent enough to grasp that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder how much Corona was spread yesterday during that protest?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement