Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trashing of our parks and beaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

There’s playing pitches up from our estate. Council owned. They removed the goals when everything kicked off because a lot of teens were gathering which was fair enough. It’s still a popular spot with runners and walkers and I go up and smack the sliotar on my own. I went up last night about 7pm. There were lots of groups of adults, 24-45 drinking eating deckchairs and all that. Middle of the whole area was strewn with cans, what was worse was that there were about 20-30 broken Heineken bottles left what looked like deliberately in upright positions. The green of the bottles with the grass made it very hard to make out. I don’t believe it was the adults as a lot of teens gather there as well. However an awful lot of the groups were there for the day, as they were smashed. Nobody said anything to anyone. I spent about an hour gathering cans and broken bottles using the hurl into a pile. Not one person out of I’d say 30-40 bat an eyelid. I wasn’t looking for thanks or fair play, I was looking for a hand, The adults that lay basking in the sun eating a drinking bothered me more than whoever left all that sh*t behind. I took a picture and emailed the council and rang the Gardaí if they could remove it quicker.

#inthistogether

We most certainly are not. We are a disgusting nation of selfish mé féiner pigs for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We are a disgusting nation of selfish mé féiner pigs for the most part.

100%. And not just when it comes to littering either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I strongly suspect that the wrong type of people are having too much children.

While the people who should be having kids have struggled to afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Again I ask - why have we permanent litter wardens on staff with permanent government jobs & paid pensions when they are never in sight and ditto working council workers - not just ones sitting in their taxpayer paid electric vehicles and waste lorries reading the tabloid for hours at a streatch. I watched one fingal refuse lorry this afternoon pull up alongside a park where every bin was full bar one - he just looked and drove away. Total waste of space and taxpayers money. No doubt he will be clocking in for his bank holiday weekend salary - just not doing a tap of work. Common sight.

Your anecdotes aside we don't have very many litter wardens. I've never seen one in the wild. We don't have enough local gards to back them up in their work either if needed. Given that we've had generations of people (all ages and social classes) being able to dump their filthy shít where they want in this country without anyone saying boo to them, would expect a nasty backlash if a real effort is made to change it via enforcement. Wouldn't be a job I'd want to be honest!
    We have forgotten "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" mantra as a society and these constant problems are the upshot.

I'm old enough to think we never had any culture of keeping the environment clean/not littering/general "civic pride" idea (for those living in towns and cities) here. It's just the consequences of that deficit get worse as we get richer and have more rubbish to dispose of and the population increases.
    The polluter pays principle (which I'd agree with) also means there is a financial benefit to fly tipping & generally not taking your own rubbish with you which was not there when waste collection was free and run by councils etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Biker79 wrote: »

It's definitely not just a knackery kids problem though, it seems to be endemic throughout all of society in Ireland.
    E.g. Sorcha and Aisling and Fintan leaving tents and sleeping bags behind at festivals because they're too f*cking lazy and feckless to take them with them.

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »

The entitled little ****ers can be just as bad. Worse at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We've a nation of car addicts who have no problem destroying the fresh air, so all this littering is hardly a surprise. :(

Here we go :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

When are they worse?

They're not joy riding scramblers thru the parks like our welfare kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

When are they worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Zebra3 wrote: »
    We've a nation of car addicts who have no problem destroying the fresh air, so all this littering is hardly a surprise. :(

Well that was relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Aside from littering there is some pure ignorance/selfishness in this country. Saw two people cutting hedges this week in the middle of bird nesting time. Totally illegal.

Have confronted people in the past when I've seen businesses cutting hedges in nesting season but have had the kids with me when passing these people so didn't want any potential aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Aside from littering there is some pure ignorance/selfishness in this country. Saw two people cutting hedges this week in the middle of bird nesting time. Totally illegal.

Have confronted people in the past when I've seen businesses cutting hedges in nesting season but have had the kids with me when passing these people so didn't want any potential aggro.
    That's illegal AFAIK, certainly farmers cant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That's illegal AFAIK, certainly farmers cant

they can't but they most certainly do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

#inthistogether

We most certainly are not. We are a disgusting nation of selfish mé féiner pigs for the most part.

But remember the Ireland fans at Euro 2016 on LAD Bible and Joe.ie? ''Clean up, for the boys in Green!!!'' You mean to tell me they don't always do that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Pkiernan wrote: »
    When are they worse?

No litter or anti social problems in Dublin 4 or 6 by your analysis so,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Free gaffs, free money, free medical cards, free school lunches, free clothing allowance, free creche places... I could go on.

Having personal responsibility and putting your litter in a bin is bottom of these people's worries when everything else is looked after for them for free.

Scourge on this country.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    No litter or anti social problems in Dublin 4 or 6 by your analysis so,

Actually go out to rathfarnham, Rathmines etc and you won't see 1 bit of paper on the ground in any of the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Actually go out to rathfarnham, Rathmines etc and you won't see 1 bit of paper on the ground in any of the estates.

Bull****. I was a barman in O Byrnes of Rathmines for years and there was plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

My area has been invaded by teenagers in the last week or so, since the good weather. The rubbish everywhere is disgusting.They just throw their wrappers, bottles, Chinese food containers etc right on the fcuking ground without a care in the world...unbelievable.

It has to be said these are not working class kids but middle to upper middle class kids, 'better off' as it used to be called.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Bull****. I was a barman in O Byrnes of Rathmines for years and there was plenty of it.

Right cool if you say so.

I said estates by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

I wholly agree with the content of your post but can’t get over my irritation at your use of “thrash” instead of “trash” in the title. Why can’t Irish people differentiate between the two? Also the use of an Americanism like trash in the first place bothers me separately.

Yes, I’m irritable in general.

I'm sorry for your condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I go walking in 3 different places, pretty much rubbish free most the time but as soon as the weather is warm they are packed with people and rubbish everywhere. Happens every year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The mess down in the 40 Foot is pretty horrible - We are supposedly a nation going Green - the amount of cans/plastic bottles and rubbish just littered everywhere - including burning left behind BBQ's- Thought all the kids are all Green now. ?

Me and a couple of others were the only ones cleaning up other peoples ****e - Come to the beach , enjoy it - but take your ****ing rubbish and ****e home - The sea is for everyone, and it is mainly teens leaving all ther behind - in 10 years time theyll all be compalining why is the sea so ****ing toxic - bring your rubbish home or it will be like the Indian toxic rivers of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Truthvader wrote: »
    Well that was relevant

Ah, so we only care about some of the environment. :rolleyes:

Most people just don't like the mess.

You wouldn't be using whatever device it is that you're using to post with if you cared all that much yourself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Surprised you didn’t pigeonhole in a rant about US planes landing in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Friend of mine visited from Japan a few years ago, she went off on a ramble around town on her own one day, and said afterwards that what made the biggest impression on her was the amount of dogsh!t and broken glass everywhere.

Restrictions and fine weather are a horrible combination - anywhere scenic is getting way more visitors than usual, and the amount of bottles and cans left at those spots is horrible.

But it has always been an issue. Huge amounts of flytipping, but it also happens with kids just dropping sweet wrappers and the like. Every part of society contributing in their own filthy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,850 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

osarusan wrote: »
    Huge amounts of flytipping, but it also happens with kids just dropping sweet wrappers and the like.

Monkey see, monkey do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Free gaffs, free money, free medical cards, free school lunches, free clothing allowance, free creche places... I could go on.

Having personal responsibility and putting your litter in a bin is bottom of these people's worries when everything else is looked after for them for free.

Scourge on this country.

I was in Blackrock (Dundalk) yesterday, A well off area, plenty of rubbish about. How do all them get big fancy houses for free?

Advertisement