Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

Spent four hours mesmerised by RE4 yesterday. Controls were a bit more dated than I had expected, but my god level design and game feel like that doesn't age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Currently playing Hitman the first one that went to episodes. I own it a few years now and only played it for a short while before thinking I didn't like it but decided to give it another go this evening and I'm glad I did as it is brilliant not far into it only 4 hours play time. May end up picking up Hitman 2 unless I get worn out from this one.

It looks amazing at 4k and HDR.

continuing my RE binge with RE3 Remake. Finished it in about 4 hours, taking my time to explore. Short but pretty fun. Never played the original but to me it seems clear that they were going for something wildly different when compared to RE2. Nemesis was, both narratively and (in his first form) gameplay-wise, terrifying. The idea of an intelligent monster with a single-minded focus on killing you is just so cool and I imagine if I’d played the original as a kid it would have been seared onto my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

May end up picking up Hitman 2 unless I get worn out from this one.

It looks amazing at 4k and HDR.
    You can play all the Hitman 2016 levels in Hitman [2]018. I think I got it on sale for €25. Unfortunately progress/gear does no carry over so you have to do everything again. But damn I'm jelly about the 4K part. I can play it offline @1440p but to stream it (as I always do) I have to knock it down to 720p if I want reasonable FPS.

Just finished Splinter Cell, the first game. Was shorter than I remember and hard as nails but had a lot of fun. Had to apply a mod to get it to modern resolutions. Looking through the PCG list of Splinter Cell games they've all had atrocious PC version releases. All of them with harsh DRM, glitches or even no digital release like with Pandora's Tomorrow. There's an unholy version of double agent on steam. Jesus Christ Ubisoft. All that money and can't even bother to do a proper release for any of the most iconic Tom Clancy titles. I feel bad for even giving them any money when I got the Prince of Persia trilogy recently.

Also been playing Shadow Of War. I might've burnt myself out of it by playing 5-10hr sessions for the last week, because I don't feel like going anywhere near it for another while :pac: Other than that I just get some Gwent in now and then.

Just marathoned RE5 and oh my I wasn’t too impressed with this one. Core gameplay was grand but I thought the bosses were completely terrible, and the atmosphere of the game was dead. It really made me appreciate the line that RE4 towed between horror and action, because I was a little freaked out at points in that game, while I was pretty mellow my entire way through RE5. Missed the inventory tetris of RE4 and the merchant system was pretty underwhelming. The whole thing just overall seemed pretty sterile in comparison to the other games in the series. On to RE6 now and then I’ll play REmake, which will hopefully scare me out of the sense of security that the action games in the series have put me in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just marathoned RE5 and oh my I wasn’t too impressed with this one. Core gameplay was grand but I thought the bosses were completely terrible, and the atmosphere of the game was dead. It really made me appreciate the line that RE4 towed between horror and action, because I was a little freaked out at points in that game, while I was pretty mellow my entire way through RE5. Missed the inventory tetris of RE4 and the merchant system was pretty underwhelming. The whole thing just overall seemed pretty sterile in comparison to the other games in the series. On to RE6 now and then I’ll play REmake, which will hopefully scare me out of the sense of security that the action games in the series have put me in.

RE6 has some fun bits. REmake has by far the best level design in the entire series.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

RE5 is an unbelievably good co-op game. The single player experience just isn't remotely the same. I would argue RE6 is the same even. Not a good single player game, and certainly not a very good "Resident Evil" game, but the co-op is insane fun and there's so much content.

RE6 in particular gets a lot of hate but I loved it for that reason. Played all the campaigns with a friend and loved every second.

Homelander wrote: »
    RE6 in particular gets a lot of hate but I loved it for that reason. Played all the campaigns with a friend and loved every second.

It's a sales-boosting design strategy. Customers literally need to get 2 copies to have a good experience. It worked amazingly for 5. And yes they're good action coop games it's too bad they picked the Resident Evil franchise as a sacrifice for it. They should've just made a new IP but Capcom and the current market is incapable of doing that. I never played 6 myself but I came across a YT channel of where they do nothing but the mercenaries mode for points. It looks fun. Hard to believe it came from the set-camera survival horror of the 1st game which is honestly still my favorite one.

Tarkov wipe incoming

Just started Minecraft Dungeons on Game Pass. Not a bad game to pass the time. Nothing too deep in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RE6 has some fun bits.

I must have played a different game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been playing a bit of RE6, and the story is okay, but the AI is excruciating. Failed a QTE at one stage because the AI stood watching zombies attack me, leading to me crashing the plane I was trying to fly.

Still not the worst Resi game I've played though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Playing Space Haven.

Fun little Rimworldlike. Still in early access but looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Getting stuck into some Overwatch. Picked this up ages ago for 3 euro, (must have been mistake on site) and although always wanting to play it never really did. IGN just done a 2020 review earlier in the week giving it a 10/10 and its reminded me what a cool game it really is. Epic have a free clone called Paladins, while its ok its just missing the classyness of Overwatch. It would be great if it was crossplaftorm.. I suppose Warzone has got me more interested in the online shooter scene that I stayed away from. Fcuking forgot to unsub my WOW account again this month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I rage quit literally Overtwatch thanks to competitive toxicity for about 18 months.
    I actually installed it again yesterday yes its such a classy polished game.
    Rather enjoyable too for a pick up and play game these days.

Took a break from Hitman for a few days and played Colorado and a bit of Japan this evening. I searched high and low for the damn basement key in Colorado and eventually left the house and by luck headed over
    to a out building of the house and sitting there on the ground was the key I was looking for as
    that is where I killed the interrogator with my silenced pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've spent much of the weekend getting my retro trip on with the Command & Conquer remastered collection. Thus far not disappointed. The graphics look fantastic (there's even the option to toggle between original and new look on demand in-game if you so choose) and the soundtrack is on point, but most importantly the game-play is still as good/challenging/occasionally maddening as it always was despite the game(s) being some of the earliest successes of the RTS genre over 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Talisman

Returned to XCOM 2 once again. I still haven't finished it. Usually start up a fresh game, get 80% done then rage quit because a 90% shot misses.

Anybody rate Chimera Squad? I missed it at half price. I'll wait for it to come down in price again.
    Chimera Squad is ~€10.50 on cdkeys at the moment.

It's fun to play, the breaching is a nice change but the game is bug infested. Weapons disappear from inventory, characters become corrupted and lose abilities, frequent crashes as you evacuate at the end of missions. It's a relatively short game or at least I found it so once I got "in the zone". According to Steam I clocked up 38 hours of play in the 4 days I took to complete the game. I know about 12 of those hours were when I left it overnight to see if the "app not responding" issue would resolve itself after a particular mission, it didn't.

There's a mod on the Steam community to fix some of the issues. I was going to attempt creating a mod myself but the SDK is 95GB and I don't have that much hard drive space available.

I'll be happy to go back and play through it again once there's a bug fix for the more annoying issues like the medic losing their gremlin so they effectively became useless, the viper lost their tongue pull and poison spit ability and one of the psionics also lost some abilities.

In the meantime I have found Phoenix Point on the Epic Games store and it will more than fill the void.

Currently playing Watch Dogs 2 and it is pretty good, I'm really enjoying it. I think the first was a tiny bit better, well that's my opinion so far. I will wait till I'm further into the game or finished before I fully decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I think the first was a tiny bit better [...]

IMHO, the mechanics in the first one are a bit broken. You can carry all your weapons, and you can change them whenever, so you're never running out of ammo. Carry all the components, and you can craft stuff, so you never run out of throwables either. These things allow you to destroy everyone, and then do whatever hacking you're supposed to do.

I'm pretty sure the devs didn't intend for that to work. If you play the DLC with T-Bone, you will notice that they want you to complete your missions without killing anyone, which is basically how you're supposed to play the missions.

Meanwhile, in WD2, you can only carry two weapons, and you're rarely supposed to use them anyway. Most puzzles can be completed while sitting inside a car, and using the remote-controlled toys.

I'm not going to compare the stories. I've enjoyed them both, but different people will have different opinions here, and too much depends on what you were looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I spent the majority of the lockdown playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and my God what a ride . My son had been going on about it for ages saying I'd enjoy it because I like my westerns but I had pretty much stopped playing single player games years ago settling into the multiplayer to such a degree that I wouldn't even bother with the included story mode . RDR 2 is the complete opposite for me . I just finished the story mode a few days ago ( really really really took my time soaking it up ) and am struggling to motivate myself to get into the online mode .

Sea of Solitude: Artsy platformy sort of game and about a girl in a boat, a giant sea monster or something. Not a clue what the storyline is about. Memories, feelings, etc, etc

I finally got Bioshock 2 Remastered running well while streaming. Loving it! So glad just to get into the world of Bioshock... the gameplay is just non stop fun and what I've been needing for a while in this gaming rut. The only downside is the atrocious sound design. Weakest bullet SFX I've ever heard in my life and a lot of the thumpy footsteps n' such are gone compared to the 1st game. Dunno what they were thinking with that. Some 'remaster'. Think I found some mods that can help with that, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Playing a mix of CK2 and a game I picked up during the weekend called Outward.

Escape from Tarkov. Absolutely hooked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GTA V mostly. Been jumping on and off a lot of other games, not sticking to one.

I guess I'm just looking for time to pass while I wait for The Last of Us Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Other PS4 owners picking up Last of Us 2 and I start Binary Domain on PC

Terraria. Thought it was a little time-waster for my iPad during social distancing but after a while decided to get it on my laptop. It's been out like 10 years and I never knew it was actually a boss battle game. The difficulty of them makes each victory immensely satisfying and it can take many attempts to learn how to beat them. Just finished the three mechanical bosses and now prepping myself for Plantera and building some custom biomes. I'd say my heartrate was 200 in the final moments of my fight with the Destroyer.

Glebee wrote: »
    Sea of Solitude: Artsy platformy sort of game and about a girl in a boat, a giant sea monster or something. Not a clue what the storyline is about. Memories, feelings, etc, etc

Stuck with it till the end to see if the story finally made sence. Pompous twaddle imo after reading decent reviews. This went completely over my head.

• Advertisement

Currently playing Mafia III DLC. I played the base game at release and only just realised I had bought the season pass the same time so said I better start playing the DLC.

Advertisement