Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What games have you been playing lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hob. It was free on epic a few weeks ago. A beautiful looking little platformer that I had never heard much about previously. Not too taxing and well worth a playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I got pissed off with all the bugs in Total War Warhammer and have barely played it since the last DLC came out. Their QC has gone down the toilet with COVID, so I'll leave them to fix it before I get back into it.

No harm. I got a new CPU recently, and I've been getting back into Stellaris. Took a few false starts before I remembered how to play, and a load has changed since I last got into it, but I've fallen into a Stellaris pit and can't get out. Hopefully the Steam summer sale is starting in the next week or so, and I might pick up the DLC I don't have.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love Stellaris, but to play it with all the new DLC i'd have to spend a small fortune. Each of the main DLC's are €20, with a few of the story packs being €10.

I love it, but i don't €100 love it.

Kiith wrote: »
    I love Stellaris, but to play it with all the new DLC i'd have to spend a small fortune. Each of the main DLC's are €20, with a few of the story packs being €10.

I probably got it bundled 2 or 3 years ago with the DLCs available at the time in a Steam sale, and I'll only get the rest for a similar deal.

I think it's a good year and a half since the last major DLC, so I'd be optimistic at getting 50% or so off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Gbear wrote: »
    I got pissed off with all the bugs in Total War Warhammer and have barely played it since the last DLC came out. Their QC has gone down the toilet with COVID, so I'll leave them to fix it before I get back into it.

No harm. I got a new CPU recently, and I've been getting back into Stellaris. Took a few false starts before I remembered how to play, and a load has changed since I last got into it, but I've fallen into a Stellaris pit and can't get out. Hopefully the Steam summer sale is starting in the next week or so, and I might pick up the DLC I don't have.

I've noticed a few cosmetic ones. A shame but I really should know better than starting a new campaign with the DLC. I can't access the new hero without restarting my campaing which is annoying.

I've rediscovered Hearts of Iron IV. I'd started a French campaign and gotten left out of WW2 but at least I was surviving. Unfortunately, I borked the save after they updated the game so I restarted a few times and am hanging on.

Finished Crysis Warhead. Nice to have a fun little jaunt that doesn't outstay its welcome. I loaded up Crysis 2 yesterday. It's a much more linear and focused game but the nanosuit mechanics feel much tighter and more viable. It reminds me of the Batman Arkham predator scenarios and is a much bigger improvement over the jungle where a few hits would kill you regardless of the nanosuit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Finally pieced together a pc that could game and got stuck into Fallout 4 and Far Cry 5

Very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Kiith wrote: »

I think i've gotten all the dlcs for the outrageous price of €40.

I usually pick them up 75% off. They ain't going anywhere and they only get cheaper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I'm very into Two Point Hospital at the moment. I had avoided it because no hospital game has come close to my beloved Theme Hospital but then I discovered it is made by the same people and is an updated version of the game. I'm loving it!

I've noticed a few cosmetic ones. A shame but I really should know better than starting a new campaign with the DLC. I can't access the new hero without restarting my campaing which is annoying.

I've rediscovered Hearts of Iron IV. I'd started a French campaign and gotten left out of WW2 but at least I was surviving. Unfortunately, I borked the save after they updated the game so I restarted a few times and am hanging on.

Finished Crysis Warhead. Nice to have a fun little jaunt that doesn't outstay its welcome. I loaded up Crysis 2 yesterday. It's a much more linear and focused game but the nanosuit mechanics feel much tighter and more viable. It reminds me of the Batman Arkham predator scenarios and is a much bigger improvement over the jungle where a few hits would kill you regardless of the nanosuit.

3 is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Although I actually thought that 1 did implement the suit pretty well. It's fiddly, but arguably more flexible with better integration of hotkeys.

I really think there's a gap for a game that fulfills the promise of Crysis, with fluid implementation of the suit and the sort of emergent properties you'd expect from being able to toggle super strength, speed, in a fully interactive environment.

On the TW bugs, they created a beta to fix an issue where Weapon Strength wasn't affected by skills and tech, there was a really annoying bug with the movement stance button where it was difficult to click, but there's still issues with hero and Lord traits not being applied correctly, and a few other I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Woshy wrote: »
    I'm very into Two Point Hospital at the moment. I had avoided it because no hospital game has come close to my beloved Theme Hospital but then I discovered it is made by the same people and is an updated version of the game. I'm loving it!

Such a classic. I've it in on my wishlist and get around to it eventually.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    I think i've gotten all the dlcs for the outrageous price of €40.

I usually pick them up 75% off. They ain't going anywhere and they only get cheaper

It's great being into 4X and other long-form strategy games.

Yes, they have a tendency to have a million pieces of DLC, but you can get one that's 5 years old for a song, after it's had it's full cycle of development, stick with that for years, and by the time you're done with it, you can move on to the "new" game for few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Such a classic. I've it in on my wishlist and get around to it eventually.

I bought it for my Switch Lite but found it hurt my hands to play for too long on it so also purchased on Steam. Apparently the Steam sale is soon so I should have waited. Oh well, I'm getting my moneys worth out of it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

3 is pretty much the best of both worlds.

Although I actually thought that 1 did implement the suit pretty well. It's fiddly, but arguably more flexible with better integration of hotkeys.

I really think there's a gap for a game that fulfills the promise of Crysis, with fluid implementation of the suit and the sort of emergent properties you'd expect from being able to toggle super strength, speed, in a fully interactive environment.

On the TW bugs, they created a beta to fix an issue where Weapon Strength wasn't affected by skills and tech, there was a really annoying bug with the movement stance button where it was difficult to click, but there's still issues with hero and Lord traits not being applied correctly, and a few other I can't remember off the top of my head.

I got 3 on Steam the other day on sale. Had it on Origin but I prefer Steam. Good to know it's a decent title.

The original Crysis is by no means a bad game though your character is incredibly fragile. It's improved slighty in the sequel but the level design has come leaps forward not to mention the sound. You can actually use the environment whereas the generic jungle of the original just frustrated me rather than encouraged me to play with the suit's abilities.

I'd heard about the bugs in the DLC for WH2 but I never noticed myself. It's quite irritating that these things happen.

Also, CA seem intent on making people sign up on TW Access for some reason for some of the content. It's free but why not just put it on Steam? There's a giant Spider mount which looks cool but I've not had a chance to use it. At least I did not have to restart the campaign to get it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Crysis 1 is the best imo. You can adjust the suit energy rates in the config files to make it so that you can actually sprint as much as he does in the cutscenes. The Origin DRM prevents me from playing the 3rd game - steam release doesn't remove it.

Of the Crysis games Warhead stands out for me for some reason for being the best. Cant remember why, its so lo9ng ago since I played the,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I remember enjoying Crysis 2 multiplayer quite a lot back on the xbox 360.

Glebee wrote: »
    Hob. It was free on epic a few weeks ago. A beautiful looking little platformer that I had never heard much about previously. Not too taxing and well worth a playthrough.

Just finished up with Hob. Great game. Anybody who got it free from Epic and has it sitting in there library, give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Finally getting properly stuck into Gta5 on pc after buying , starting and losing interest early in it on ps3 and ps4. Recently bought a pc and got the free version on the epic store. What a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

eggy81 wrote: »
    Finally getting properly stuck into Gta5 on pc after buying , starting and losing interest early in it on ps3 and ps4. Recently bought a pc and got the free version on the epic store. What a game.

It's a good game up there with my favourites. I played it so many times and even restarted it all the way through recently after not playing for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Chanced my arm at Alien Isolation. Never played it before. I got about an hour into it and I had to turn it off, I haven't encountered any aliens yet but the idea that it was coming was making my hands sweat lol I'll come back to it when I've eaten something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Chanced my arm at Alien Isolation. Never played it before. I got about an hour into it and I had to turn it off, I haven't encountered any aliens yet but the idea that it was coming was making my hands sweat lol I'll come back to it when I've eaten something.
    Try it in VR :D

I want to play it but I just cant handle the thought of that:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Such a good game audio wise. Wear headphones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm half deaf, and it's a massive disadvantage in Alien Isolation. Nope, nothing in this room to worry about...dead :P

I've a hankering now to play it again. I had it originally on the PS4 and finished it. It was getting so so reviews but i really loved it.

Im inbetween games these days so to hell with it, im installing Alien Isolation. Going to play with head phones and scare the crap out of myself..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Amongst short spurts on other games im still plugging away at Guild Wars 2,its grown on me. I levelled a ranger class after getting frustrated in the first expansion with my original toon,an elementalist.

I've nearly finished the first expansion now with the ranger,heart of thorns,be onto path of fire then which is the latest expansion.

I've tried a few mmos lately:
    WoW
    Black Desert Online
    ESO
    Guild Wars 2

Guild Wars is the only one that has stuck. I wanted to really get to grips with an MMO as its a genre ive never really got into.

Tried Papers Please. I just don't get it. It's tedious.

Im inbetween games these days so to hell with it, im installing Alien Isolation. Going to play with head phones and scare the crap out of myself..:eek:

Ok so I did plan to download Alien Isolation but ended up downloading and playing Children of Morta instead. Anybody else give this a go? Really enjoyable game.. Better than getting the crap frightened out of you anyway.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Picked up Halo MCC a while back and finished Reach and the 1 HD update. Was about to start 2 but picked up Ion Fury on sale.

Ion Fury is great. Not sure if it's hard or if I'm terrible at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mostly strategy games over the last couple of months.

Frostpunk - Played it a huge amount and I love it. Blows my mind when I see videos of people who are completing scenarios on extreme difficulties with no deaths and here I am scraping through on normal difficulty. I'm finding it surprisingly replayable too, usually with these kind of games I lose interest once I've played through everything once.

Unity of Command 2 - Looks and plays great. I'm playing through on easy and finding it tough but enjoyable. Seems like you need to have a very deep understanding of the mechanics to do well and some of the terminology is odd.

Company of Heroes 2 + all the DLC - Picked it up cheap in the steam sale, played it a little bit but not feeling it. It's a bit too frantic, I'm constantly using pause to look around the map trying to figure out what's going on. Maybe I'm just more comfortable with turn based games at the moment.

Cities Skylines - Got gifted the steam code by a kind user here on boards. Probably a good thing as I don't think it's for me, just not the kind of strategy game I'm interested in right now.

Planning to get Oxygen Not Included as it looks fun and kind of similar to Frostpunk

• Advertisement

The bloody Alien has not even appeared yet and im on edge. Now I know why do dont really play horror type games..

Advertisement