Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tell that to Steve Jobs.

A fairly obvious exception, but we know richer people live longer than poorer people. The top 10% live 10 years longer than the bottom 10% in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Tell that to Steve Jobs.

??
    Surely you will not deny that a richer a country is, the better the health of its citizens overall

You misunderstood my point - was it on purpose or just a mishap?
    Only you will ever know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tell that to Steve Jobs.

I didn't realise he was so young when he died till now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

??
    Surely you will not deny that a richer a country is, the better the health of its citizens overall

You misunderstood my point - was it on purpose or just a mishap?
    Only you will ever know

America is the richest nation on the planet.

America is one of the most affected countries by Covid.

It certainly should mean that more money means better health, makes Trump look even worse based on your own logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Field east

A fairly obvious exception, but we know richer people live longer than poorer people. The top 10% live 10 years longer than the bottom 10% in Ireland.

Anyone any idea re the following. Of the top 10% , do the top 1% love longer than the next 9%?
    Also, how much longer do the top 10% live when compared to the bottom 10%. Researchers, .org with agendas, etc, etc, love these type of comparisons but fail to point out that the difference is quiet often insignificant

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    America is the richest nation on the planet.

America is one of the most affected countries by Covid.

It certainly should mean that more money means better health, makes Trump look even worse based on your own logic.

America is not per capita one of the worse affected also it is hardly surprising Europe and North America are higher on the list given most of other nations refuse to give honest stats

Based on you logic you need to stop linking every bad thing that happens back to trump
    It’s beneath you and leads to any valid criticisms you have of trump not being taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

America is not per capita one of the worse affected also it is hardly surprising Europe and North America are higher on the list given most of other nations refuse to give honest stats

Based on you logic you need to stop linking every bad thing that happens back to trump
    It’s beneath you and leads to any valid criticisms you have of trump not being taken seriously

Trump is POTUS. Are you aware of that? The buck stops with him. I understand it is inconvenient for you, but he himself says that he is in charge, unless of course he takes no responsibility.

You made the claim, which I agree with in theory, that having more money should lead to better health outcomes.

Given that, why is the US anywhere near the top impacted countries? Your argument would suggest, given their resources, that they shouldn't be.

We know countries like Italy and the UK have badly handled the situation, but you seem to want to excuse Trump from the US outcomes.

Why? What reason do you think that Trump should be given a free pass? Do you really think that Trump couldn't have done anything differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

i just hope the numbers show that the destruction of the worlds economy was justifiable. that would be easier for our societies to accept, because if the numbers of deaths from previous years are not drastically different to this years, yes the decision makers will be held accountable but also the cult like followers of the lockdowns will have to live with their own demons.
    i hope its the former not the latter. i think it will take years for societies to heal if all this has been is hysteria. millions of jobs gone forever and millions of people left in poverty.
    the handling of this virus if it turns out to have been over zealous could be what drives more countries to the extreme right. europe, south america and parts of asia have serious form on right wing ideology.
    these lock downs cannot turn out to have been for nothing - i honestly believe that would be the worst outcome possible.
    Seriously there are so many things wrong with this post I don’t know where to start

You’re hoping that lots of people will die to prove that our actions aimed at preventing lots of people from dying weren’t in vain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

You can't have it both ways. They are reclassify gunshot and car crash victims as Covid deaths even though it was of no proximite cause.

I've posted earlier that person wasn't a "Dr" or a scientist. She had no background in biology, public health or epidemiology. She was a website developer in the second year of a PhD in geography who was convicted of multiple felonies jn the last few years. Chief amongst those was setting up a website to sexually harrass her ex boyfriend. This is one of the reasons she was fired.
    The laziness of the media to not even mention these points is incredible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/05/florida-gov-says-he-fired-su-grad-for-cyberstalking-not-coronavirus-data-allegations.html%3foutputType=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What if someone who had a gunshot wound caught covid in hospital and the extra stress causes them to die when they would have recovered otherwise?

Gun Sales are at all time record levels due to the pandemic
    Undoubtedly some gun deaths are Covid related even if the person never got infected

I don’t know how this is even possible tbh, there were already more guns than people in the US, and it’s not like they have expiry dates on them...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/19/there-are-more-guns-than-people-in-the-united-states-according-to-a-new-study-of-global-firearm-ownership/%3FoutputType%3Damp

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Seriously there are so many things wrong with this post I don’t know where to start

You’re hoping that lots of people will die to prove that our actions aimed at preventing lots of people from dying weren’t in vain

A year's worth of suicide attempts in the last 4 weeks. More people dying from suicide than covid in a California county.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7news.com/amp/suicide-covid-19-coronavirus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

And that's only at the moment. When the US is plunged into a massive recession due to the continued lockdown these numbers will rise and rise.

She's not a doctor or a scientist! If you were convicted of sexually harrassing an ex by setting up a website to do so would it not be grounds for losing your job? Especially when you work as a website developer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Americans now react to every "crisis" by turning to God and guns. They are basically third world inside their own heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jibber5000 wrote: »
    She's not a doctor or a scientist! If you were convicted of sexually harrassing an ex by setting up a website to do so would it not be grounds for losing your job? Especially when you work as a website developer?

Scott Adams has been running with the idea that people in the US are watching 2 movies on the same screen. Stories like this would seem to be examples of this.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Akrasia wrote: »
    Gun Sales are at all time record levels due to the pandemic
    Undoubtedly some gun deaths are Covid related even if the person never got infected

I don’t know how this is even possible tbh, there were already more guns than people in the US, and it’s not like they have expiry dates on them...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/19/there-are-more-guns-than-people-in-the-united-states-according-to-a-new-study-of-global-firearm-ownership/%3FoutputType%3Damp

Are you advocating that some gun deaths should be added to the covid toll because they may not have bought the gun if it hadn't been for the pandemic?

I'm hoping I read you wrong.

Exactly as I said.
    Up the ante
    It’s just beginning

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0523/1140157-us-talks-on-holding-first-nuclear-test/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

This is the equivalent of Kim Jong Un firing missiles into the sea. They won't do a nuke test, it's just an out there headline to take the heat off Trump for other things. As some would call it ... a nothingburger.

This is the equivalent of Kim Jong Un firing missiles into the sea. They won't do a nuke test, it's just an out there headline to take the heat off Trump for other things. As some would call it ... a nothingburger.

That’s your opinion man

That’s your opinion man

Can you name one reason why Trump/America would start nuke tests?

This is just another Republican "look over there" moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's a sad day when people living in the west believe the Chinese and Russians over the. United States of America. The leader of the free western world.

If war broke out the Americans would once again be expected to save us all.

The vaccine for the virus will come from the Us. You will all line up and take it.

Without Us investment in Ireland paying billions to the exchequer imagine the state this country would be in.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten

• Advertisement

Can you name one reason why Trump/America would start nuke tests?

This is just another Republican "look over there" moment.

Possibly of a trilateral nuclear weapons deal. Us/Russia/China.

Might just save us all. Go out and enjoy those western freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is that in response to any particular post or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"Up the ante" to what exactly? You were criticising Obama for being responsible for thousands of deaths but you're okay with Trump using nuclear weapons? If you think this makes Trump looks strong then it's actually the opposite. He and the US are a laughing stock right now and some bull**** story about nuclear testing isn't going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Blueshoe wrote: »

Our western freedoms aren't dependant on America. A black man in America gunned down while out for a run and his killer's aren't charged until a video appears.
    Doesn't seem like freedom for everyone in America.

By the way this "leader of the free world nonsense" is just an outdated American slogan. No basis in reality.

It's a sad day when people living in the west believe the Chinese and Russians over the. United States of America. The leader of the free western world.

If war broke out the Americans would once again be expected to save us all.

The vaccine for the virus will come from the Us. You will all line up and take it.

Without Us investment in Ireland paying billions to the exchequer imagine the state this country would be in.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten

If war breaks out it will more than likely because of something stupid Trump/The US does.

There have been nuke weapons deals for decades, I grew up in the 70's/80's when the risk of nuclear war was a real thing.

There have been nuke weapons deals for decades, I grew up in the 70's/80's when the risk of nuclear war was a real thing.

No you didn't. Too much black and white rte telling you how to think.

It's a different world now. The Us is trying to hold onto its world leader status. The Chinese are rapidly gaining ground and influence. Their belt and road initiative will see them gain power and influence around the planet.

The same Chinese that think nothing of massacring its own citizens, social scores, media censorship, work camps etc.
    Xi Jinping making himself leader for life.

People need to remember which side they are on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

joe40 wrote: »

By the way this "leader of the free world nonsense" is just an outdated American slogan. No basis in reality.

It may have had some basis.

But Trump’s election really has pissed all over that idea..

What the hell are you on about? Are you saying I am wrong about when I grew up? :confused:
    It's a different world now. The Us is trying to hold onto its world leader status. The Chinese are rapidly gaining ground and influence. Their belt and road initiative will see them gain power and influence around the planet.

The same Chinese that think nothing of massacring its own citizens, social scores, media censorship, work camps etc.

It is a different world because of the treaties algarve Benin place for decades, Trump wants to tear them up in the hope he can make new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's amazing how many foreigners go to China to work and live and have positive experiences. Thankfully not everyone is as narrow minded as you.

Advertisement