Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Little Fires Everywhere was added. Haven't watched it yet but it aired on Hulu in the US earlier this year. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington.

https://youtu.be/JWGkX8ClhBI

Homecoming season 2 added tonight as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Homecoming season 2 added tonight as well.

Do you need to have watched S1, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Do you need to have watched S1, I wonder?

I'd imagine they'll connect together. Season one was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Hunters with Al Pacino.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bosch is great detective series based on a series of books, each series is one case rather than being episodic. There are six seasons I think, I'm on 4 at the moment, trying to spread them out a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

514102.png

A Cattleya production, who also produce Gomorrah, ZeroZeroZero is also written by the same writer Robert Saviano. (music also by Mogwai).
    With Gabriel Byrne, Andrea Riseborough, Dane De Haan.

Good description for it here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/arts/television/review-gomorrah-zerozerozero.html

I've watched the first two. It's like a Gomorrah/Narcos hybrid. There is an element of what's called "genre fatigue" that goes along with it, but it's got enough going for it to overcome that.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

514102.png

A Cattleya production, who also produce Gomorrah, ZeroZeroZero is also written by the same writer Robert Saviano. (music also by Mogwai).
    With Gabriel Byrne, Andrea Riseborough, Dane De Haan.

Good description for it here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/arts/television/review-gomorrah-zerozerozero.html

I've watched the first two. It's like a Gomorrah/Narcos hybrid. There is an element of what's called "genre fatigue" that goes along with it, but it's got enough going for it to overcome that.

This isn't showing up on my prime. What region are you using?

PaddyCar wrote: »
    This isn't showing up on my prime. What region are you using?
    Ooh, er. Regions not relevant to my app.;) (:()

While looking for something else I stumbled upon The Farewell last night. One of last year's most talked about films. Not sure it got a cinema release here but there was a lot of talk around it in the US. I haven't watched it yet but I was shocked to see it had even added without any promotion or appearing on the home page.

Prime's content has really improved of late but they're still so terrible at presenting it. Hustlers was another big one last year that just arrived onto Prime a few months ago with no promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

How odd, Hustlers at least got a little exposure in my home page hero carousel but nothing about the Farewell. Really want to watch it but not sure if I'm up for it in the current climate.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    How odd, Hustlers at least got a little exposure in my home page hero carousel but nothing about the Farewell. Really want to watch it but not sure if I'm up for it in the current climate.

Hustlers appeared on mine eventually but it had been added about 2 weeks before.
    I have a watch list on Letterboxd and you can filter it by what's available on different streaming sites. I was checking it yesterday and noticed The Farewell was showing up on Prime. Sometimes it mixes up films with the same names so I double checked on the Prime ap and there it was. It's obviously quite recent but still surprising it's not more obvious on their home page.

I did not know you can filter a watch list on letterboxd by all streaming platforms you have access to, I've been going into individual movies to get this info which is clearly not efficient.

Gamechanger!

Didn't realise Dogville was on prime (in the uk anyway).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Farewell did get a cinema release here, and it’s absolutely magnificent. Easily one of my favourites of the last year. A gentle, funny and moving family drama with magnificent performances. It’s straightforward and low-key, but it properly got under my skin to the point where every emotional beat hit perfectly. A simple, beautiful little film.

I did not know you can filter a watch list on letterboxd by all streaming platforms you have access to, I've been going into individual movies to get this info which is clearly not efficient.

Gamechanger!

Didn't realise Dogville was on prime (in the uk anyway).

Yeah, it's very handy. You can pick which streaming sites you have access to in your settings and then they're the only options that appear in the filter menu. It's particularly useful for Prime in relation to what we were discussing, their interface being borderline unusable.

How deep would it hit if you had ageing grandparents on the other side of the world with no way of getting to see them?

Yeah, it's very handy. You can pick which streaming sites you have access to in your settings and then they're the only options that appear in the filter menu. It's particularly useful for Prime in relation to what we were discussing, their interface being borderline unusable.
    I had all my streaming sites set up, just didn't realise you could filter lists by individual service or by all your services. It's going to be super helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How deep would it hit if you had ageing grandparents on the other side of the world with no way of getting to see them?

Probably quite a bit in that particular circumstance, I'll be honest :o But it's overall quite a joyful and warm-hearted film above all else, and the story doesn't end up quite where you might expect from the synopsis.

Just finished the 3rd season of 4 Blocks - the first and second are on prime. This is a damn good show. Its up there with Gomorrah and not far off Narcos. Cant believe how under the radar this was. Never heard a beep about it before randomly switching it on on Prime

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭thereitisgone

Goliath...... best Amazon series

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Almost finished the first season of 'The Bureau', a drama set in the French intelligence agency. It's much more about the subterfuge and dealings that agents probably actually do.

I see that's airing its fifth season now - does the quality maintain?
    El Rifle wrote: »
    Just finished the 3rd season of 4 Blocks - the first and second are on prime. This is a damn good show.
    I added this recently after seeing a post here. Good to know it's not a show that drops in quality.

• Advertisement

El Rifle wrote: »
    Just finished the 3rd season of 4 Blocks - the first and second are on prime. This is a damn good show. Its up there with Gomorrah and not far off Narcos. Cant believe how under the radar this was. Never heard a beep about it before randomly switching it on on Prime
    After quality german shows like Dark, Deutschland 83 and Babylon Berlin, I searched for other German shows, and this one looked good. Thanks for the reminder. Gonna start on it soon.
    (tried Dogs of Berlin, but couldn't take to it).

After quality german shows like Dark, Deutschland 83 and Babylon Berlin, I searched for other German shows, and this one looked good. Thanks for the reminder. Gonna start on it soon.
    (tried Dogs of Berlin, but couldn't take to it).

Have you seen Generation War? It's a fantastic German series set during WW2. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere at the moment though.

Have you seen Generation War? It's a fantastic German series set during WW2. Not sure if it's streaming anywhere at the moment though.
    Yeah- it's an excellent mini-series.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,703 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have started watching homecoming...very interesting so far, intriguing anyway.
    I am also liking the fact the episodes are not ridiculously long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

ixoy wrote: »
    Almost finished the first season of 'The Bureau', a drama set in the French intelligence agency. It's much more about the subterfuge and dealings that agents probably actually do.

I see that's airing its fifth season now - does the quality maintain?

Yep. If anything it gets better.

Fifth season hasn't been released subtitled in English yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

kerdiff wrote: »
    Hunters with Al Pacino.

I watched the first episode of this and found it excellent. The opening scene was brilliant. Dylan Baker was chilling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

QikBax wrote: »
    Yep. If anything it gets better.

Fifth season hasn't been released subtitled in English yet though
    I only see the first two seasons on Amazon Prime Ireland. Are more on the UK site or did you watch them elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

ixoy wrote: »
    I only see the first two seasons on Amazon Prime Ireland. Are more on the UK site or did you watch them elsewhere?

Had to get them illicitly.

You need a Sundance add on to Prime for the others.

Don't think there's a legal way to watch here.

There's a documentary called "Casting By" that was added yesterday, I think. It's mainly about Marion Dougherty, who worked as a casting director in Hollywood for over 40 years, but it also takes a wider look at the importance of casting in films and how the process changed over the years. I saw it a few years ago on Sky Arts and found it really interesting, there's lots of little stories about people very nearly being cast in roles that another actor is now iconic for, and it talks a bit about the campaign to get a category for casting included at the Oscars. I remember thinking it was interesting how the directors and actors mainly had differing opinions on that. It's worth a watch for anyone with any interest in the process of film making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Daveno

The Boys- my no. 1 super hero series

Advertisement