Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I enjoy the first season of Preacher but I'm 4 epsidoes into season 2 and I'm really struggling.

I finished the final season of Preacher today and have to say that once you get past season 2 which is a bit of a slot, seasons 3 and 4 (which have fewer episodes) are very entertaining. Would recommend to anyone who's enjoyed The Boys as both are based on Garth Ennis comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I started Little Fires Everywhere a few days ago.It's only 8 episodes but its a fantastic drama.
    Reese Witherspoon and Kerry washington are the leads.Witherspoon plays Elena, a mother of 4 with a seemingly perfect life, Washington plays Mia a single mother who is a broke artist. Their lives start to intertwine and all is not as it seems.

I'm loving it.The scenes between Mia and her daughter Pearl are my favourite but I don't see any real weak spots to it. If you liked Big Little Lies I'd say you'll like this.It has a similar setting as its in an upper class neighbourhood with stepford wives vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

About midway through Hunters. Enjoying it alot even though the artistic licence with some of the flashback scenes are a little distasteful / added purely for shock value.

Started watching the US version of The Office recently too having ignored it for years. About midway through season 4 and absolutely loving it, its really hit its stride and is very difficult to pull oneself away from, definitely a "just one more" type of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭GBX

About midway through Hunters. Enjoying it alot even though the artistic licence with some of the flashback scenes are a little distasteful / added purely for shock value.

Started watching the US version of The Office recently too having ignored it for years. About midway through season 4 and absolutely loving it, its really hit its stride and is very difficult to pull oneself away from, definitely a "just one more" type of show.

The flashbacks and graphics were the only thing I didnt like about it. Otherwise, a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Hunters isn't a patch on The Boys. Loving Season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Hunters isn't a patch on The Boys. Loving Season 2.
    Yeah, Hunters has its moments, but I gave up near the end; it just felt it didn't know what to do with itself.
    Reviews on season 2 of the Boys a bit patchy, but looking forward to starting it soon.
    Nearly finished season 1 of The Bureau. Pure class. I like- rather than love- a lot of French series, but I'm loving this. Really well put together and acted, it manages to show the boring drudgery of spycraft in a compelling way, without the need for action set-pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Full_Circle_81

Yeah, Hunters has its moments, but I gave up near the end; it just felt it didn't know what to do with itself.
    Reviews on season 2 of the Boys a bit patchy, but looking forward to starting it soon.
    Nearly finished season 1 of The Bureau. Pure class. I like- rather than love- a lot of French series, but I'm loving this. Really well put together and acted, it manages to show the boring drudgery of spycraft in a compelling way, without the need for action set-pieces.

Its now gone from the Irish Amazon Prime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Its now gone from the Irish Amazon Prime though.
    Is it? I wouldn't know; alternatively sourced. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

re The bureau, i've seen all the seasons, and as a whole it is a fantastic series. One of my French favs definitely

Started watching Halt and Catch Fire and I'm completely engrossed after the first 3 or 4 episodes. It's set in Texas in the early eighties and it's about a charismatic salesman conning the software company he has started working for into taking on IBM in the PC market with the help of an engineer and a programmer. I'm definitely not selling it with the description but it is a fascinating watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

If you love it after the first 3 or 4 episode, you're going to adore it after a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Is it? I wouldn't know; alternatively sourced. :)

Did u find it on jodi if so could you send me a pm as I can't find it at all cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Started watching Halt and Catch Fire and I'm completely engrossed after the first 3 or 4 episodes. It's set in Texas in the early eighties and it's about a charismatic salesman conning the software company he has started working for into taking on IBM in the PC market with the help of an engineer and a programmer. I'm definitely not selling it with the description but it is a fascinating watch.

And it keeps getting better. You're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Probably one of the most underrated shows I've watched in the last 5-10 years. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The first season felt like it was still finding its stride a bit but after that it just got better and better. I think it may well have had my very favourite tv show finale too. Seeing the main four actors in anything else still makes me feel strangely nostalgic for all the imaginary time it feels like we spent together.

Watched Star Girl over the last couple of weeks with the kids. It's a decent family watch that's very heavy on the Buffy vibes but with a superhero twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

Anyone into Mr. Robot? I watched the first 3 season a few years back when it came out and only recently finished the fourth and final season. I thought all 3 seasons were amazing and a lot of the hacking tools and terminology are real. There's some scenes that leave you stunned as they come out of nowhere or they're downright shockingly violent. Great soundtrack aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Read this decided to give it a go and it is superb, totally engrossing. Four main leads excellent.

I started halt and catch fire earlier after reading the last few posts. Only two episodes in and it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Thank god it was mentioned Halt & Catch Fire was on Prime because it never pops up when I'm browsing through the app. I've wanted to watch this show for a few years but between forgetting it when looking for something new to watch, and not being able to find it online I'm only getting to it now.

It was definitely worth the wait, I'm on a serious binge of it and watched 3 series in a week. Well, I've 2 episodes of S3 to get through first. I don't want it to end, it's so very compelling. Like Mad Men set in the 80s tech world.

I'm going to be very sad to finish the show in the next few days.
    p to the e wrote: »
    Anyone into Mr. Robot? I watched the first 3 season a few years back when it came out and only recently finished the fourth and final season. I thought all 3 seasons were amazing and a lot of the hacking tools and terminology are real. There's some scenes that leave you stunned as they come out of nowhere or they're downright shockingly violent. Great soundtrack aswell.

You're in for a treat with S4. It's brilliant. If you think the directing work has been fantastic up to now then prepare for it to up the ante.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Halt and Catch fire is one of the few shows that have remained compelling viewing all the way through the 4 series. Fabulous show

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thanks to whomever recommended Halt and Catch Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

You're in for a treat with S4. It's brilliant. If you think the directing work has been fantastic up to now then prepare for it to up the ante.

Season 4 was fantastic. Some great new characters and they kept the tension running throughout. And a nice little sub plot. I've been listening to M83's "Outro" ever since. A well deserved ending to a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I finished H&CF last night and I'm gutted it's over. I'll miss the characters. I binged the 4 seasons in 11 days, often finishing work and watching the bones of half a season some days. I've not done that in an age!

The music & soundtrack throughout in the series is great but the last series
    being set in he early-mid 90s
    was savage. I'll miss seeing those opening credits, it's now one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Out of interest, Kerry Bishé is actually in a fairly unusual indie game on Steam for less than 20 quid, Telling Lies. Very much dependant on her performance, so if you enjoyed her in HCF, could be worth a go. From what I hear the overall concept is better than execution though.

Mackenzie Davis is in Gears of War as her Terminator character, but they body scanned her for it and then gave her Gears of War proportions which turns out to look quite weird if you do it with somebody tall and slender. Looks okay in motion, strange in still images.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,312 ✭✭✭naughto

I finished H&CF last night and I'm gutted it's over. I'll miss the characters. I binged the 4 seasons in 11 days, often finishing work and watching the bones of half a season some days. I've not done that in an age!

The music & soundtrack throughout in the series is great but the last series
    being set in he early-mid 90s
    was savage. I'll miss seeing those opening credits, it's now one of my favourites.

Am at the same craic on ep 7 only started a few days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I thought there was a bit of a dip in HCF in season 4 TBH.

First 3 seasons excellent - 4th pretty good.
    Like when your man's daughter invented a search engine
    - that was kinda stupid.
    Plus there was a big fast-forward between season 3 and 4 where the 2 main characters are now divorced,
    that was very discombobulating I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I thought there was a bit of a dip in HCF in season 4 TBH.

First 3 seasons excellent - 4th pretty good.
    Like when your man's daughter invented a search engine
    - that was kinda stupid.
    Yeah, sure kids never came up with killer ideas in tech. :rolleyes:
    Plus there was a big fast-forward between season 3 and 4 where the 2 main characters are now divorced,
    that was very discombobulating I thought.
    They got divorced in Season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Four episodes into halt and catch fire...love it. Will have it binge watched in no time!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,052 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rfrip wrote: »
    Four episodes into halt and catch fire...love it. Will have it binge watched in no time!!

We finished season 1 this evening, it's great.

Apparently it's all leaving Prime on the 15th though so pressure is on to get the rest watched.

Advertisement