Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

• 11-05-2020 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

21 Bridges is a decent casual watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The Upside staring Kevin Hart and Brian Cranston is a great movie for anyone who Hasn't seen it. Definitely went under the radar when it released well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭xtal191

The Upside staring Kevin Hart and Brian Cranston is a great movie for anyone who Hasn't seen it. Definitely went under the radar when it released well worth a watch.

The original is a lot better

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I binge watched two seasons of Jack Ryan. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Patriot and bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Watched the first episode of "upload" yesterday.... Worth a watch so far... Interesting idea.

Also... Currently watching "see" .... Which is fine... A bit of a similar style to Vikings.... Worth a watch.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Although it would be nice to have a thread just on recommendations and not countless posts on how to access UK library!

it didn't start like that

lots of people bought fire sticks from the UK through parcel motel etc (not meant for Ireland) so that will always be a subject...

being honest there isn't much to talk about for Amazon content - it's still limited, paid and/or region blocked (US).

4 Blocks. Arab Gangsters in Berlin. Brilliant stuff.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The other thread has improved a fair bit lately as the content available has. Ocassionally someone still has regional questions but it's not as bad as it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭brevity

Bosch is a grand easy watch. The Boys is good too.

the boys - yes - have no interest in superhero stuff a la marvel but this is great anti-hero stuff (so far)

bosch - good solid stuff - never amazing and the the first season is not great but it improves

zerozerozero - not on amazon UK afaik but great one-season 8 episode drug-smuggling epic

jack ryan - first season is decent binge-watch non-serious caper. 2nd season sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Didn’t realize The X Files is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,119 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

TV The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Film What we do in the Shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭whatever76

I enjoyed following series - Casual, Life in Pieces , Transparent ( although a bit out there and goes downhill !) , Modern Love

Not watching much movies but I enjoyed Wild Rose ( leading actress is a girl from kerry) & Manchester by the sea

Theres alot on it and UI not as good as netflix - recommend scrolling as you be surprised what you find !

whatever76 wrote: »

Theres alot on it and UI not as good as netflix - recommend scrolling as you be surprised what you find !

Yep, it's a well known fact the interface is awful. Often you have to search for a film by director, or and actor in it, and even then it'll be the third or fourth option available. I think that's why some people think there's very little worth watching on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Startup is good watch a couple eps and see Ron pearl man comes into it in season two he is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elias79

The Test is a good watch. Follows the Australian cricket team through the events of the ball tampering incident and onto the world cup and Ashes last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭p to the e

I watched "The Report" last week on Amazon. A fantastic and frustrating watch in equal measure. Nobody from any political affiliation comes out of it looking good. It even makes "Zero Dark Thirty" look stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Founder with Michael Keaton is one that I've been meaning to watch for a while and finally got round to it last night. Great movie with a clever screenplay that has you sympathising with the down on his luck Ray Kroc before becoming more and more appalled with his behaviour, especially towards the McDonald brothers, as he becomes more successful. Keaton is fantastic in the title role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

The Founder with Michael Keaton is one that I've been meaning to watch for a while and finally got round to it last night. Great movie with a clever screenplay that has you sympathising with the down on his luck Ray Kroc before becoming more and more appalled with his behaviour, especially towards the McDonald brothers, as he becomes more successful. Keaton is fantastic in the title role.

+1 for this. Watched it last week , really enjoyed it. Easy watch that's based on a true story .

So, is this now officially the Prime Video recommendations thread, for film and TV? The other thread just being for people who can't get their fire stick into their parcel motel or whatever?

I just don't want to be following two threads if one will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

unplayable wrote: »
    Startup is good watch a couple eps and see Ron pearl man comes into it in season two he is fantastic

It is a good- if inconsistent- watch. Not the most exciting of series, but it's got an interesting approach- high finance/computer wizardry/gangs, that are cleverly mixed to make it a drama with good character dynamics; each providing different innovative solutions to problems of varying kinds.

thread for it here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100497264

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner added today. A great kitchen sink drama from 1962 with a brilliant central performance by Tom Courtney. Everyone should watch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So, is this now officially the Prime Video recommendations thread, for film and TV? The other thread just being for people who can't get their fire stick into their parcel motel or whatever?

I just don't want to be following two threads if one will do.

What's the other thread?

What's the other thread?

It's in the TV forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771671

It was started to keep Amazon recs out of the Netflix thread, but then it became almost entirely about work arounds for different regions and after a brief recent spell of actual recommendations seems to have gone off on technical stuff again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is a must for anyone with Prime. Rachel Brosnahan is both gorgeous and hilarious as a Jewish housewife who's comfortable life takes a left turn when her Husband dumps her and she finds she has a talent for comedy while drunkenly ranting in a comedy club.

Film - My Brother the Devil was added today.

From Rotten Tomatoes - "A masterful debut from one of England's boldest and brightest new talents, Sally El Hosaini's MY BROTHER THE DEVIL stars James Floyd as Rashid, a young man from a traditional Arab family who runs with a gang that rules the streets of Hackney, one of London's most ethnically-mixed and historically volatile neighborhoods. Rashid's younger brother, Mo, (Fadi Elsayed) idolizes his handsome, charismatic older brother and dreams of following in his footsteps, but Rashid envisions a different life for Mo and insists that he stay away from gang life and stick to his studies. When Rashid forms a bond with Sayyid (Said Taghmaoui), an older man of similar background who is now a successful photographer, he is introduced to a world he never knew existed. But, just as he decides he wants out of his dead-end life on the streets, Mo decides he wants in, and starts doing drug runs behind Rashid's back. Headed on a collision course of conflicting desires, each young man is forced to face himself and confront the brother he thought he knew."

I watched it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. There is a bit of your standard London gangs kind of thing and plenty of slang thrown around but it's essentially about the relationship between the two brothers and it's more character driven than anything similar that I've seen. Worth a watch.

I see Short Term 12 was added over the last few days. A really beautiful film about a young woman who works at a foster care facility for teens. Brie Larson is the lead and it's got a lot of familiar faces who were just on the brink of stardom when they made this.

• Advertisement

Little Fires Everywhere was added. Haven't watched it yet but it aired on Hulu in the US earlier this year. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington.

Advertisement