Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Anyone notice he put up an episode with Clifford yesterday and then abruptly took it down within an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Anyone notice he put up an episode with Clifford yesterday and then abruptly took it down within an hour

No!
    What was the title of the episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

I listened to that, didn't realise it was taken down in the meantime...notice it is not on my podcast list any more actually. The chat was about the Direct Provision Centre in Caherciveen, Kerry. Made for grim enough listening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I heard that bit about Caherciveen. I wonder did some of the owners of the hotel visit their solicitor's this morning!

It was a good piece until near the end. Dunphy went into uber liberal mode about asylum seekers....generalisations left, right and centre. All positive towards them of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The podcast about Larry Dunne was good. One of 16 children born in the Dublin docklands in poverty and how he became a millionaire and lost it all

I do wonder though does a journalist realy ring your doorbell and call you one of Ireland's greatest losers and then tell the public that you sneered and got angry.

Hell the greatest saint in Ireland would be angry if that happened to them.

Grandstanding from Nicola Tallent and we have no way to know if it ever happened. Not the first time she claimed to doorstep people, maybe it's part of a journalists job

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The podcast about Larry Dunne was good. One of 16 children born in the Dublin docklands in poverty and how he became a millionaire and lost it all

I do wonder though does a journalist realy ring your doorbell and call you one of Ireland's greatest losers and then tell the public that you sneered and got angry.

Hell the greatest saint in Ireland would be angry if that happened to them.

Grandstanding from Nicola Tallent and we have no way to know if it ever happened. Not the first time she claimed to doorstep people, maybe it's part of a journalists job

I heard that. Half way through the story she seemed to realise how bad it made her sound and she said quietly maybe I was a bit cheeky or something to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Maybe ask Nicola Tallant :D

I tweeted her, didn't get a response. I'd imagine because she know's f*ck all.

But, why was Pete Taylor targeted? Absolutely nothing in the media no matter how much I have looked it up. Is it because (a) Katie is the official sacred cow of Ireland and (b) she and her dad were mixed up with our most dodgy f*cker ever?

Nothing, no story, no explanation. Just an innocent victim killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I tweeted her, didn't get a response. I'd imagine because she know's f*ck all.

But, why was Pete Taylor targeted? Absolutely nothing in the media no matter how much I have looked it up. Is it because (a) Katie is the official sacred cow of Ireland and (b) she and her dad were mixed up with our most dodgy f*cker ever?

Nothing, no story, no explanation. Just an innocent victim killed.

She's broken from her father for a few years now though (long before he was attacked). Personal reasons from what I've heard...

dulpit wrote: »
    She's broken from her father for a few years now though (long before he was attacked). Personal reasons from what I've heard...

Her dad started getting up on her friend. Marriage broke down, katie not too pleased. This is not some hidden secret or rumour. If you are anywhere near or around Bray/Dublin it is common knowledge and public, he's still with her. No problem there.

She was training in MTK Puerto Banus while her dad was still coaching her, that is mentioned in the podcast.

Is that why Hutch or his associates tried to murder him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

jay0109 wrote: »
    I heard that bit about Caherciveen. I wonder did some of the owners of the hotel visit their solicitor's this morning!

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/the-mick-clifford/fighting-the-virus-in-direct-5AXP3FCI74-/

Mick Clifford's latest podcast (linked above) is all about Cahirciveen, so I assumed that Dunphy would have him on speaking about that.

Pointless them discussing it to be honest. You know with any of these Irish journalists any discussion of such topics of immigration will be less than frank and open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I enjoy the Nicola Tallant episodes. All the gossip about these scumbags is a bit tabloidy, but she is a good story teller.

Eamon seems to have settled into a groove these days. You can tell he's enjoying the podcast. It's a good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

I enjoy the Nicola Tallant episodes. All the gossip about these scumbags is a bit tabloidy, but she is a good story teller.

Eamon seems to have settled into a groove these days. You can tell he's enjoying the podcast. It's a good listen.

Podcasting would have several advantages for Eamon, I'd say. He can record it from his house, for one, and if he blurts out something silly (i.e. something that could lose that precious Tesco sponsorship), he can just not upload it.

And in contrast to his old RTE panel persona, he's not always battling the other person speaking and trying to be controversial. He's usually quite respectful to his guests and allows them to make their points fully.

Out of curiosity would he be making much Money wise out of the podcasts?

Does he pay his contributors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yes, he definitely has to pay his guests. No idea how much he makes though. Depends how much Tesco are paying him. Minus his expenses obviously.

Still Ill wrote: »
    Yes, he definitely has to pay his guests. No idea how much he makes though. Depends how much Tesco are paying him. Minus his expenses obviously.

Just in general though, his only income stream is the sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Seems like it alright. Unless there's some company behind the scenes paying him. But their only income from the podcast would be the Tesco sponsorship. Haven't heard any other ads on it.

He was doing it without any sponsorship for quite a while at the beginning, but I guess that's how it works. Needed to build up an audience so he could demand a higher sponsorship fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭Tork

From what I know about podcasts, the creators end up needing to get sponsorship to avoid paying for the whole lot out of their own pockets. As the audiences go up, so do the bills. Hosting the podcasts online costs money. The guests cost money. Maybe there are other charges I don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

He was on with Mario Rosenstock on TodayFM recently and seemed to be saying that the more listeners he gets then the more money he makes so he must have the sponsorship setup that way. Think he said its just him and a sound engineer/producer guy that do it together

I’d say he has a few quid in his bank account but the podcast stuff can be fairly lucrative for someone like him. You get paid per download pre agreed with the sponsor.

Which is why that cretin Blind Boy should be ashamed of himself, he came on radio crying the poor mouth at the beginning of all this about the money he’s lost with his cancelled live shows....yet his podcast for some unknown reason is top of the charts, I’d imagine during the lockdown it soared in download figures, so he would not be short of a few quid himself yet he went on like he was this poor artist that will be supping on a watery soup in a cold hovel while he can’t ‘perform’ or whatever it is he does.

So how much does Dunphy or Blindboy get per download? It might not be as lucrative as you think. Especially in a market as small as Ireland. Artists get fck all from Spotify, for example.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    So how much does Dunphy or Blindboy get per download? It might not be as lucrative as you think. Especially in a market as small as Ireland. Artists get fck all from Spotify, for example.

What I meant was I'd say Dunphy has his money made already, probably couldve made more but he doesn't see too interested in money.

But per podcast download probably a cent or two. The rate will be agreed per hundred or thousand. How many downloads does Dunphy get per episode is anyones guess, the analytics is private and only accessible to Dunphy and producers on connect. I would say he would get anything between 50-100 thousand downloads? Total guess, but say €1500-€2000 per show, at the rate he's trotting them out that's not too bad. Probably other income in affiliate marketing and who knows what. I'm just surprised at the amount of shows he can trot out, its pretty much 5/6 days a week from what I can see. Seems to have a lot of research done which is clear, not bad for a 74 year old.

Think himself, Giles and Brady should've set their own one up long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I’d say he has a few quid in his bank account but the podcast stuff can be fairly lucrative for someone like him. You get paid per download pre agreed with the sponsor.

Which is why that cretin Blind Boy should be ashamed of himself, he came on radio crying the poor mouth at the beginning of all this about the money he’s lost with his cancelled live shows....yet his podcast for some unknown reason is top of the charts, I’d imagine during the lockdown it soared in download figures, so he would not be short of a few quid himself yet he went on like he was this poor artist that will be supping on a watery soup in a cold hovel while he can’t ‘perform’ or whatever it is he does.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    How much exactly would you expect they get per download and have a think about how much you pay per download before you answer that.

Also, because of the manner in which some artists cancelled shows rather than the shows being cancelled on them, they were still on the hook for some expenses associated with that. I think at least some of BB's shows fell in to that category.

I’d say the likes of Spotify, SoundCloud pay absolute buttons per download. Fractions of a cent ball park.

I’d say the likes of Spotify, SoundCloud pay absolute buttons per download. Fractions of a cent ball park.

My cent or two estimate was in relation to the sponsor.

Spotify, soundcloud, apple music and the rest pay you nothing per download. They just host your content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Tork wrote: »

I used to subscribe to Blindboy on Patreon and I think it said that there were 5,000 subscribers. He asks for the price of a pint or a cup of coffee. If 5,000 people are giving €3 per month, that's €15k. Even if Patreon take a cut off that, it's still close to €150k per year.

Then you have the ad revenue on top, the profile boost which lets him do his gigs and the paid podcast recording shows.

I know that there aren't many doing as well as him, but it would appear to be very lucrative for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I used to subscribe to Blindboy on Patreon and I think it said that there were 5,000 subscribers. He asks for the price of a pint or a cup of coffee. If 5,000 people are giving €3 per month, that's €15k. Even if Patreon take a cut off that, it's still close to €150k per year.

Then you have the ad revenue on top, the profile boost which lets him do his gigs and the paid podcast recording shows.

I know that there aren't many doing as well as him, but it would appear to be very lucrative for him.

Seconds captains lads as well making a nice few pound also but sure you can't be expecting them to be doing it for nothing. Anyone is free to start their own podcast and give it a go.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's Patreon though. Dunphy doesn't have a Patreon account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Seconds captains lads as well making a nice few pound also but sure you can't be expecting them to be doing it for nothing. Anyone is free to start their own podcast and give it a go.

Fair play to him for doing it. Like I said, I was previously a subscriber, and was so because I got value from his output, which I’d wait for and listen to on the day of release. After a while, I just stopped listening so regularly, saw the direct debt coming out and cancelled it.

I still do listen in the odd time, and he’s very clear that he’d much rather have listeners than paying subscribers. Give it if you can, and want to. If you can’t, or don’t feel it is worth it, just listen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What I meant was I'd say Dunphy has his money made already, probably couldve made more but he doesn't see too interested in money.

But per podcast download probably a cent or two. The rate will be agreed per hundred or thousand. How many downloads does Dunphy get per episode is anyones guess, the analytics is private and only accessible to Dunphy and producers on connect. I would say he would get anything between 50-100 thousand downloads? Total guess, but say €1500-€2000 per show, at the rate he's trotting them out that's not too bad. Probably other income in affiliate marketing and who knows what. I'm just surprised at the amount of shows he can trot out, its pretty much 5/6 days a week from what I can see. Seems to have a lot of research done which is clear, not bad for a 74 year old.

Think himself, Giles and Brady should've set their own one up long ago.

He regularly says his podcast wouldn't exist without his sponsor?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He regularly says his podcast wouldn't exist without his sponsor?

And?

Advertisement