Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There will be a new cock up in the morning IM sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I was just coming on to say the same thing.. maybe they have been told of schools planning on solo runs?

There's probably some principal somewhere going 'don't mind those guidelines, just get on with it..'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Treppen wrote: »
    I was advising teachers to 'finish out the course' earlier on by sending videos and making use of the 'down tools and stop teaching' ambiguity.

In any event, even if teachers had finished out the course you'd get the 'experts-who-are-qualified-because-they-went-to-school-and-coach-an-under-14-Hurling team' baying for 151 hours of teaching a week, or whatever.

Decision was taken out of their hands when they were told to stop teaching tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Decision was taken out of their hands when they were told to stop teaching tho

That's true, and I suppose it was done for very good reasons.

You could still have created a few more videos and put them on a global SharePoint or group email for all to download and say that it's only one way communication. No homework accepted.
    It would have bought a bit more time for you to declare to your students that the course is finished, bye-bye.

BTW the ASTI Union position is that "...However, students remain students of the school until the end of the school term. " That's on foot of discussions with the department , so it appears to preclude Johnny from being entitled to more education next September because his teachers didn't finish the course.

• Advertisement

There's probably some principal somewhere going 'don't mind those guidelines, just get on with it..'

I'd say there's more than one :pac:

Told ye the deadline would be extended lads... Just chill until the next Friday afternoon announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I'd say there's more than one :pac:

Told ye the deadline would be extended lads... Just chill until the next Friday afternoon announcement.

What about the leak Thursday evening? Didn't see Emma for a while.

What about the leak Thursday evening? Didn't see Emma for a while.

'Senior sources in the Department' are currently deciding who is in their favour at the moment.

I reckon it'll go to the Indo to keep them sweet, the Irish Times have been getting all the goodies from the master lately. One must keep everybody on their toes wot wot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Bobtheman wrote: »
    What evidence do you have ? Because that evidence depending on where you are - could end up being poured over. I must admit I have only ordinary this year so not as big a deal points wise.
    You must also accept that surprising increases and decreases occur in the actual LC Exam. It is not a precise science

Surprising increases and decreases occur in the actual LC exam alright but if a teacher is calculating grades based on evidence and any deviation from the precise calculation is to be based on "professional judgement" i.e. reasonable, rational assessment, then it's hard to imagine that 'surprises' (at least big ones anyway) can be legislated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

It has gone a little too quiet for my liking..............

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    Surprising increases and decreases occur in the actual LC exam alright but if a teacher is calculating grades based on evidence and any deviation from the precise calculation is to be based on "professional judgement" i.e. reasonable, rational assessment, then it's hard to imagine that 'surprises' (at least big ones anyway) can be legislated for.

Too true, to be truly fair too you have to assume that the student gets the perfect paper with everything you've done in class and given opportunity to the student to fix. You know yourself, the questions you are praying for not to come up, the klangers you get certain years.

Take for example the mocks. The was one relatively easy paper from one company and one difficult one from another. To predict grades and be fair you have to assume that all students would be getting the easy one that fulfilled the requirements to test their knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Some many variables to consider with these 'calculated' grades. I don't have 6th years but being asked how they would have done had this not happened is hard - as others have said it can come down to the paper or even luck!
    Some students deal with exam conditions better than others. You'd normally have an idea by 6th year but the pressure could be too much and you get a terrible paper and someone has a breakdown and does way worse than expected. Someone else studied one poet and sure enough they are after appearing!! While you have an idea where your class is at there can be a handful that do better than you thought and a few more that will do worse. How can you decide who's who?

fed_u wrote: »
    Some many variables to consider with these 'calculated' grades. I don't have 6th years but being asked how they would have done had this not happened is hard - as others have said it can come down to the paper or even luck!
    Some students deal with exam conditions better than others. You'd normally have an idea by 6th year but the pressure could be too much and you get a terrible paper and someone has a breakdown and does way worse than expected. Someone else studied one poet and sure enough they are after appearing!! While you have an idea where your class is at there can be a handful that do better than you thought and a few more that will do worse. How can you decide who's who?

You have to assume that the paper they would have gotten isn't 'terrible'.
    Also, the poet they studied would have come up.

Moving on from there, you don't assume they would get 100% , but given how they interact with previous questions what would you expect from them. You know yourself from correcting essays who died the minimal submission, who tries to engage with the by topic but hasn't really grasped what's involved, and who writes better essays than you do.
    A lot of grey in between but the ranking should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/asti-leaving-cert-students-allowed-to-choose-assessment-level-1000527.html

Guidelines expected tomorrow. Coursework sent to SEC is being sent back to teachers. Students will be allowed to choose their level before grades are calculated.

I assume all the stakeholders are meeting again today and we will get it after?

Some updates on ASTI website.
    No way this will be finished before mid June
    model of assessment for Leaving Certificate 2020 candidates?

The Department of Education and Skills have confirmed to ASTI that schools will be permitted to appoint an Examination Aide in 2020 to assist the management of schools in the administration of the calculated grades model in schools. Details will be developed and confirmed to schools.

Do students have to opt-in to receive the calculated grades being offered under the calculated grades model of assessment for Leaving Certificate 2020 candidates?

Yes. Students are being provided with the opportunity to opt-in to receive the calculated grades being offered under the calculated grades model of assessment via an online system. This facility will be available shortly. Given the necessity to proceed with this process in a timely manner, ASTI has complained that the necessary arrangements for securing this information has not been put in place sooner.

Are students being asked to re-nominate the subject levels (Higher, Ordinary, Foundation) at which they wish to receive their calculated grades under the calculated grades model of assessment for Leaving Certificate 2020 candidates?

Yes. Students are being provided with the opportunity to re-nominate the subject levels (Higher, Ordinary, Foundation) at which they wish to receive their calculated grades under the calculated grades model of assessment. This facility will be available shortly.

What arrangements are being made for return of coursework to schools that had previously been submitted to the State Examinations Commission for marking?

Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme (LCVP) portfolios: These will be returned to schools so that they are available to teachers should they wish to review them as part of their work in respect of arriving at estimated marks for that subject. Teachers will not be expected to mark this material.

Design and Communication Graphics: Schools retain a full copy of material submitted to the SEC in relation to Design and Communication Graphics. Teachers can access this material to review it as part of their work in respect of arriving at estimated marks for that subject.

Leaving Certificate Home Economics – Scientific and Social: An exceptional arrangement is being made for coursework in this subject. This coursework was submitted to the State Examinations Commission in 2019 and had already been provisionally marked at the point when schools closed. As in the case of the Leaving Certificate examinations that run each year, the release of these component marks prior to the issue of provisional results will not take place. In the case of Home Economics - Scientific and Social, the school will be asked to provide an estimated percentage mark for the written examination only. The mark submitted will be combined with the mark the coursework portion of the work has already been attributed and will then be subjected to the standardisation process within the DES to arrive at the final calculated grade for the candidate. To avoid the provisional mark awarded to the journal influencing the school’s estimation in respect of the final examination paper, the provisional mark assigned to the journal will not be released at this stage. It will however be made available following the issue of results.

Will training be provided to teachers on how to implement the Calculated Grades model?

Yes. Detailed guidance on the operation of the process will issue shortly. Online training will be provided regarding all aspects of the process.

Ha, Ciara Kelly On newstalk saying that schools should open saying that we are denying kids of their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Ha, Ciara Kelly On newstalk saying that schools should open saying that we are denying kids of their education.

Sure wasn't she the one leading the bandwagon demanding that the LC be replaced with predicted grades? She is for want of a better word a total and utter 'flute'

Sure wasn't she the one leading the bandwagon demanding that the LC be replaced with predicted grades? She is for want of a better word a total and utter 'flute'

You're very kind, I thought of several other words for her. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This process should not be rushed at all. Any inkling that this was rushed through so that we can go on holidays will be viewed terribly and will inevitably lead to appeals solely on that basis.

• Advertisement

Tomorrow for the guidelines apparently

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    This process should not be rushed at all. Any inkling that this was rushed through so that we can go on holidays will be viewed terribly and will inevitably lead to appeals solely on that basis.

But it also shouldn't drag on for half the summer because the Dept told us many months had gone into this planning process when in reality it was cobbled together last minute and they're probably still making it up as they go along.

If this was all in place when the guidelines were released, we would have all of the details by now.

But it also shouldn't drag on for half the summer because the Dept told us many months had gone into this planning process when in reality it was cobbled together last minute and they're probably still making it up as they go along.

If this was all in place when the guidelines were released, we would have all of the details by now.

They're trying to spin it till start of June to kick off the annual-teacher-bashing-summer-holidays-troll smokescreen.

You know...like the ones always lurking in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I wonder have our unions even mentioned that we are on holidays in 9 days time?

I've already given up all of my Easter Holidays, and working well past midnight a lot of the time, going a good way into June will just annoy me.

I know it's necessary, I know it's a pandemic, but acknowledge it at least.

I've already given up all of my Easter Holidays, and working well past midnight a lot of the time, going a good way into June will just annoy me.

I can already hear them coming out from under the bridges in After Hours.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,253 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They're trying to spin it till start of June to kick off the annual-teacher-bashing-summer-holidays-troll smokescreen.

You know...like the ones always lurking in this forum.

They've been temporarily occupied somewhere else.... :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Ya, I know this is probably going to go into June, but put a date on it. I want to be able to close my books and turn off my laptop and switch off and wind down. Not have it in the back of my mind for three or four weeks of the summer.

km79 wrote: »
    I can already hear them coming out from under the bridges in After Hours.......

5.5 months holidays tut tut tut :) Forgot to add - paid as well!!
    Ya, I know this is probably going to go into June, but put a date on it. I want to be able to close my books and turn off my laptop and switch off and wind down. Not have it in the back of my mind for three or four weeks of the summer.

Maybe they will pay us? Read above that the school can employ an exam secretary.

Just to clarify: I know that the Unions can't issue directives, but are teachers being asked to cease and desist from calculating grades/ranking until further notice?

If so, Is there a link to this?

• Advertisement

Just to clarify: I know that the Unions can't issue directives, but are teachers being asked to cease and desist from calculating grades/ranking until further notice?

If so, Is there a link to this?

ASTI sent a message last Friday 'Our advice is not to do any work on Calculated Grades until guidance issued by DES shortly, General Secretary.'

I think TUI issued similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement