Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferred State Exams 2020 [SEE MOD NOTE POST #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I honestly, honestly don’t care what you think about me. I really don’t.

I’m telling the truth and teachers on here know that. They have admitted it on the other thread!!!

Also, I’m curious and have a question for those saying my colleagues are lazy. My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher. Would you call all these teachers “lazy” too?

Ahh deflect, deflect, deflect. Just can't answer the question about what you actually do yourself?

Yes that is lazy but remember if you receive an email you can reply. Simples really.

All I can talk about is what I know of. My school we are all working away. All contactable via the various platforms that we are using such as Google classroom and seesaw. All use email as well.

What platforms are you using for engagement?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058071593/1

Teachers saying they have no laptops, broadband etc etc etc. One even said he couldnt do the online thing because his brother kept walking into the room and his parents were asking him to get a newspaper.[/quote
    That's someone trying their best in difficult circumstances, no? And he did come on and tell us his efforts. Have you shared your efforts with us? I know I've asked you this before a few times, so I'm hoping I might get an answer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I honestly, honestly don’t care what you think about me. I really don’t.

I’m telling the truth and teachers on here know that. They have admitted it on the other thread!!!

Also, I’m curious and have a question for those saying my colleagues are lazy. My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher. Would you call all these teachers “lazy” too?

It's funny, I wasn't aware there were threads relating to online teaching in the current affairs forum, but now that i've spent a few minutes reading them, I'm bursting my arse laughing here because there are no parents or teachers on there supporting your claims about teachers doing nothing.

You are the only one spouting that rubbish.

This is probably a first for me on this forum to see a teacher so willing to trash the whole profession that she claims to like and yet to be so reluctant on this thread and on the other one to answer a simple question about what she is doing on a day to day basis, and when questioned about it claims that she is being bullied just like she is her school. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

How do you know what all your local primary schools are doing? Why can’t they reply to emails?

There are so many online platforms available to primary schools, Im surprised that your local area has such a poor representation at all levels.

Sister has kids in school at home. Best friend has kids in a different school at home. There is one school email which is not replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

JJJackal wrote: »
    Btw your explanation of bias seems to be more an explanation of impartial... - well i would suggest I am impartial - I have no skin in the game

I have a job where I work long hours (plus i teach juniors) so some appreciation of being a teacher and how long hours impact life.

I was a student so.... I appreciate as much as anyone else who was a student I guess.

I dont have a parents perspective - you are right - however talking to colleagues who are parents I have some limited insight

And I was sick once therefore I know how healthcare works.

To add to that, I work with someone who was sick, which gives me insight.

Impartial would imply you can see all sides, that’s not the impression I am getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Newbie20

At the risk of sounding like a moderator (which I’m not) this thread is about The State Exams being deferred. It is not a thread about returning to work, there is a separate thread for that called “how will schools return in September” or something like that.

This thread was very informative up to recently with various teachers discussing the information or lack thereof coming from the department and discussing how grades would be predicted. It’s been taken over now by one person who doesn’t really mind what happens when teachers return to school, once we are working for longer, that is the most important thing. Let’s pick a really random number like 51 hours. We need to work 51 and see what we can fit into those hours.

Then we have another person who is seemingly a teacher but I’d have my doubts. If they are a teacher then they badly need to just move schools and get on with it because they are seemingly so bitter from working with a supposedly useless staff that they are deciding that nearly every other teacher besides themselves is useless.

It always amuses me how people that aren’t teachers know best how we can proceed with our jobs. My brother works in finance but I’d never dream of telling him how to do his job or how they could do their work better. Because how could I possibly know more than he does, or know anything really at all about what his job entails?

I’ll resist from further engagement here until the teacher bashing has subsided and we can get back to some useful discussion.

Can I ask your opinion of my local primary schools?

My local primary schools - all classes and teachers - send one email per week to parents outlining the child’s work for the week. No way to get anything corrected ,no way to contact the teacher.

Well I hate to point out the obvious, but if the teachers are emailing the parents, then the parents can email them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

And I was sick once therefore I know how healthcare works.

To add to that, I work with someone who was sick, which gives me insight.

Impartial would imply you can see all sides, that’s not the impression I am getting.

I never said I taught once .... I said I teach juniors.

For your analogy to be correct re being sick, you would need to have been a doctor or nurse once btw

FYI Impartial - "treating all rivals or disputants equally"

I asked for your ideas on how to get students back to class

Sister has kids in school at home. Best friend has kids in a different school at home. There is one school email which is not replied to.

You generalise specific information and don’t seem to realise it. If you had said you know of two primary schools who don’t answer emails it would be more accurate.

Ahh deflect, deflect, deflect. Just can't answer the question about what you actually do yourself?

Seriously dude, your obsession with what I am doing is a bit weird. Creepy even. Is it because I’m a young outspoken and honest female?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Do you think you have a wider experience than me? I’d love to know why you are saying I have a narrow experience. Is it because you disagree with me or do you think that anyone who disagrees with you is wrong? Doesn’t suit the narrative you are pushing, eh?

Many teachers have agreed with me on exactly this point. Do that have a narrow experience too?

I don't see too many teachers on here agreeing with you.
    I've never had as many department and staff meetings before. I've had e emails this evening from students along with a number yesterday.

There are slackers and malingerers in every profession, even nurses! My 2km radius exercise brought me past the house of a hospital nurse who regularly had her parents over, along with her brother plus his wife and kids. She obviously doesn't think much about the health and safety of her colleagues or reputational damage behaving like that

I'm amazed at how far some of my colleagues have come. Before this started some would have struggled answering a Microsoft form, let alone creating a quiz on it, doing a voice over on PowerPoint etc

I've bumped into teachers from other schools i know while in the supermarket and they are all reporting the same while I also heard likewise at a union meeting on zoom.

Seriously dude, your obsession with what I am doing is a bit weird and creepy. So is constantly repeating the same question.

Is it because I’m a young, honest, outspoken female?

How do you know what all your local primary schools are doing? Why can’t they reply to emails?

There are so many online platforms available to primary schools, Im surprised that your local area has such a poor representation at all levels.

It's amazing how teachinggal123 knows all the schools and teachers who are doing no work, yet doesn't seem to know any who are doing work. Even on here she has encountered teachers who are doing no work, even though the rest of us have not encountered them. Yet even our national media (who generally like to slate teachers) are able to run positive news stories about teachers stepping up to the mark at no notice to provide classes online.

It's mad really. :pac:

Seriously dude, your obsession with what I am doing is a bit weird. Creepy even. Is it because I’m a young outspoken and honest female?

Ahh suppose I'm bullying you as well because I actually asked you a question?

As regards your gender, male, female, martian. Makes no difference to me. Also whether you are young, old or middle aged is of little relevance to the topic.

Generalisation does nothing to further a point.

And we'll agree to disagree on the honest part with regards to some of your postings. I have no doubt that some of what you post is 100% the truth but with a large dollop of poetic licence I would imagine.

Again what platforms are you using?

I'll tell you I use Google classroom.

JJJackal wrote: »
    I never said I taught once .... I said I teach juniors.

For your analogy to be correct re being sick, you would need to have been a doctor or nurse once btw

FYI Impartial - "treating all rivals or disputants equally"

I asked for your ideas on how to get students back to class

I was referring to this:
    I was a student so.... I appreciate as much as anyone else who was a student I guess.

I’m not even going to try to explain the difference between teaching and training junior staff who choose to be there.

You asked for ideas, you got answers. What more do you want?

Well I hate to point out the obvious, but if the teachers are emailing the parents, then the parents can email them back.

It’s from the main school email. And no replies apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The state of this thread now.

When are we expecting direction from the Dept for the LC?

Near end of week?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Seriously, why are people engaging with this hysteria?

We have no idea what the situation will be like in September. Let's stop doing a Joe McHugh jumping-the-gun thing on it until we're a bit closer the date / have a better sense of it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I was referring to this:

I’m not even going to try to explain the difference between teaching and training junior staff who choose to be there.

You asked for ideas, you got answers. What more do you want?

I was a student for 13 years in a primary or secondary school. Didnt just rock up for a day! Edit - it is possible I have as much experience being a student as you have of being a teacher?

I have no doubt teaching students who may or may not want to be there is more difficult

A safer option if possible than just hand washing and cough etiquette?

Ahh suppose I'm bullying you as well because I actually asked you a question?

It’s ok to ask a question once.

It’s a bit weird and creepy to keep asking the same thing over and over again when I have, very respectfully, asked that you refrain.

Would you do this to a young female colleague in real life?

• Advertisement

Seriously, why are people engaging with this hysteria?

We have no idea what the situation will be like in September. Let's stop doing a Joe McHugh jumping-the-gun thing on it until we're a bit closer the date / have a better sense of it at least.

Fair point well made.

Goodnight.

It’s from the main school email. And no replies apparently.

If this area actually exists I'm imaging that a lot of us would love to know where it is so that we can avoid moving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Well that escalated quickly :D
    I can’t see half the posts since about 9pm as well

I always find post histories quite informative

It’s ok to ask a question once.

It’s a bit weird and creepy to keep asking the same thing over and over again when I have, very respectfully, asked that you refrain.

Would you do this to a young female colleague in real life?

Ahh the auld gender card. Well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thread reopened. Behave.
    Read Mod note on first post.
    Keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Regulars here who know something, or anything, about actually teaching should really look at post histories before bothering to engage. It's pointless rehashing the same Teaching 101 points, and feeding trolls is pretty pointless too.

Hopefully we will get some clarity tomorrow or Tuesday and we can start some planning, instead of guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

I didn't come near this thread all week as I partly guessed the speculation would be through the roof. Looks like I was right to avoid it.

I was happy to get the text from the ASTI on Friday telling us to wait for guidance. Hopefully it will come soon, hopefully it will be fair and workable and we'll get on with it and get the job done.

Deep breath time,folks, the end is approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Comer1

Yes that is lazy but remember if you receive an email you can reply. Simples really.

All I can talk about is what I know of. My school we are all working away. All contactable via the various platforms that we are using such as Google classroom and seesaw. All use email as well.

What platforms are you using for engagement?

Genuinely confused as to why people are attacking this poster.

What is the relevance of what this poster is or isn't doing online? If fact, if this person is doing nothing (which I do not believe to be the case) it just further backs up the point that some teachers are doing very little to nothing.

In my daughters school (she's in 6th year) three out of seven of her teachers were doing practically nothing up to the cutoff.

In my own school I know of quite a few teachers who are doing practically nothing and I'm sure there are many more like that that I do not know about.

And before you all start asking me what I'm doing, I spend all day drinking cheap Lidl beer watching The Chase and Tipping Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭cozar

do any of the teacher posters think that repeat students will be accommodated in any way.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

cozar wrote: »
    do any of the teacher posters think that repeat students will be accommodated in any way.?

As in students repeating now or students who want to repeat next year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement