Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Wailin

maddness wrote: »
    63 grand or 70 grand is insanity for a 300bhp golf R rival.

It's not really a golf r rival though in fairness. 390bhp, it's more in the class of the m2 comp and rs3 bracket.

Edit: Be interesting to see what the new R retails for.

My bad, I was talking about the A45! You're correct madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Wailin wrote: »
    It's not really a golf r rival though in fairness. 390bhp, it's more in the class of the m2 comp and rs3 bracket.

Pistonheads did a comparison review lately and still said the R is a better all rounder even though it's now 6 years old

https://youtu.be/OCW72hI_g8g

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Pistonheads did a comparison review lately and still said the R is a better all rounder even though it's now 6 years old

https://youtu.be/OCW72hI_g8g

Yeah I wrongly assumed it was the a45 being compared not the a35! Specsavers need to open soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭maddness

Edit: Be interesting to see what the new R retails for.

My bad, I was talking about the A45! You're correct madness.

I think I saw an A45 for sale for close to 90 grand!!!

I think I saw an A45 for sale for close to 90 grand!!!

Lol, 63-70k sounds like a bargain!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

You could add 10% to any of the listed cars above so for exactly the same reason.

You're absolutely right about that. However, a Mk7.5 R was far better equipped as standard than the A35. The R had 19" wheels as standard (the A35 comes with awful 18" ones) and far better screens as standard too and they're the first things I'd want to up upgrade if I was buying one.
    63 grand or 70 grand is insanity for a 300bhp golf R rival.

I couldn't justify it. You'd buy a lot of petrol and modifications for that extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Surprisingly - that’s not the most expensive 2 liter petrol car for sale in Ireland

There’s a 1 year old f type convertible jag for 84950.

https://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2310205&r=s.php%3Ff%3D1%26nx%3D12%26nn%3D12%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd say resale values of Mk7 and 7.5 GTis will stay strong if they don't sell many of the Mk8s. In saying that once you see a few on the road in the flesh they will probably grow on people.

I would agree, the MK8 is the same underneath as the MK7, just a continuation of the MQB platform and with the price and questionable looks and wheel choices it's very good for Mk7 owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

mk7r wrote: »
    I would agree, the MK8 is the same underneath as the MK7, just a continuation of the MQB platform and with the price and questionable looks and wheel choices it's very good for Mk7 owners.

I can't see the value of anything staying high, there was an article posted in an Irish paper that said 75% of owners on PCP had taken a payment break due to covid.
    If these people default there will be a lot of cars for sale.

Then there's the UK who are worse again with thousands of R's and Gti's leased and on PCP, if these come on the market prices will drop like a stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say your right, Southampton is meant to be full of new unsold cars. I'd say they'll get creative with finance, 50% pcp buy back over 48mts, 25% down payment, 1.9% finance. You'd be in the new GTI for €399pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Neilw wrote: »
    I can't see the value of anything staying high, there was an article posted in an Irish paper that said 75% of owners on PCP had taken a payment break due to covid.
    If these people default there will be a lot of cars for sale.

Then there's the UK who are worse again with thousands of R's and Gti's leased and on PCP, if these come on the market prices will drop like a stone.

75% of people in Ireland?
    Seems very high figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Saw this pic on Instagram, first shot of the Mk8 GTI I've seen where it looks good.

Screenshot-20200516-100902-01.jpg

carsfan2 wrote: »
    75% of people in Ireland?
    Seems very high figure.

3 weeks ago BMW & VAG said approx 20%.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/motorists-offered-payment-holidays-on-pcp-financing-agreements-1.4233559%3fmode=amp

Approx 50,000 mortgages availing of the mortgage break iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭maddness

eljono wrote: »
    Saw this pic on Instagram, first shot of the Mk8 GTI I've seen where it looks good.

Screenshot-20200516-100902-01.jpg

That looks fantastic

I'd say your right, Southampton is meant to be full of new unsold cars. I'd say they'll get creative with finance, 50% pcp buy back over 48mts, 25% down payment, 1.9% finance. You'd be in the new GTI for €399pm.

4 year PCP deals with manufacturer deposit contributions like in the UK would tempt folk with a few quid to spend alright.

GFMV would have to be not much less then current 3 year deals but folk would have no equity expectations.

Might be interesting enough amongst all the bad news that's likely to be the the fore over the coming years with the various fallouts of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Interview with vw Uk head in today’s telegraph who made some good points

We won’t be building cars for which there is no demand
    There are a lot of cars with both the importer and dealers
    Plus Wolfsburg was only producing at 10% capacity at the start of May with the aim of reaching 40% - didn’t give a timeframe.
    It’s the sane for all manufacturers.

On the aesthetics of the golf gti on the outside I’m ok with it’s the interior I’m struggling with - too clean and minimalist.

They'll need to incentivise purchases to create demand. Car manufacturers who don't manufacture cars won't last too long.

kooga wrote: »
    On the aesthetics of the golf gti on the outside I’m ok with it’s the interior I’m struggling with - too clean and minimalist.

All those touch controls are over kill, it's a downgrade on a 7.5 interior and it's not really adding anything new, from what I've seen it stays that red color with the icons, it's terrible looking. I don't think you can turn it off either.
    Everything is gone touch, no need for it, it's adding complication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I suppose at least they haven't gone full touchscreen controls and have touch climate controls under the screen. The downside is I'm fairly certain the passenger heated seat control is on the driver side...

Can't beat physical controls though. They could have used the smaller controls like in the Polo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

1920x1920-audi-a3-sportback-no-palms.jpg

The new Audi A3 gets a dramatic interior upgrade and it manages to keep physical buttons for your most commonly used controls. Way nicer than the mk8 interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Augeo wrote: »

That might be correct; AIB/BOI disclosed 9-12%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Not a bad looking car, mostly original too which is nice.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    1920x1920-audi-a3-sportback-no-palms.jpg

The new Audi A3 gets a dramatic interior upgrade and it manages to keep physical buttons for your most commonly used controls. Way nicer than the mk8 interior.

That interior is very nice.
    I guess at this stage touch screens are probably cheaper to produce than physical buttons and they probably do impress some punters.
    Personally I hate them in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Just wondering how much I'd get for my GTD be worth (not RRP). Half notion of seeing what deals I could flip into on a nearly new car.

16 white GTD manual 5dr 86000km

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW seem to be persisting with making the Golf estate including a R version:

VW%20Golf%20Estate.jpg

VW%20Golf%20Estate-5.jpg

bs2014 wrote: »
    Just wondering how much I'd get for my GTD be worth (not RRP). Half notion of seeing what deals I could flip into on a nearly new car.

16 white GTD manual 5dr 86000km

Thanks

20k trade in price?
    Anywhere between 18 and 22 depending on what margin they have on what you are buying?
    L-M is a VW sales man I think he would give you a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

carsfan2 wrote: »
    20k trade in price?
    Anywhere between 18 and 22 depending on what margin they have on what you are buying?
    L-M is a VW sales man I think he would give you a good idea.

Thanks, I prefer to get an ideal of net net pricing....cuz often garages offer you say 20k but in reality your only really getting 18k cuz the 20k is inflated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement