Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Was the black horse the one that was male only for a long while? Not sure I'm right, just stuck in the back of my head.

Thats the Black Lion down the far end of Tyrconnel Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Was the black horse the one that was male only for a long while? Not sure I'm right, just stuck in the back of my head.

Was the shamrock in finglas male only at one stage also?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Couldnt say tbh. I think fagans drumcondra was a men only bar alright, have a memory of heads turning and evil stares when walking in with, god forbid, a female many moons ago. Sure there were a fair few around.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last pub in Dublin to do so, dropped it when their licence was challenged by a number of women in 89/90.

The Black & Amber mentioned some posts ago was owned by the apartment developers for years; I suspect but can't prove that they moved the licence down to Capital Dock for Brewdog - same developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

L1011 wrote: »
    Last pub in Dublin to do so, dropped it when their licence was challenged by a number of women in 89/90.

AFAIR Blacklion was men only in the bar side in the early-mid 90s, at least 1993 anyway.
    The Black & Amber mentioned some posts ago was owned by the apartment developers for years; I suspect but can't prove that they moved the licence down to Capital Dock for Brewdog - same developer.

Like @BonnieSituation the Glen is my local, and given that's it's not a million miles away from what was The Black & Amber, every now and again you get chatting to someone who has a story about the place. Was never there myself, but it seems the owner was a bit whimsical - drinking there one week no problem, next week you're told that you're barred and won't be serviced?? No rhyme or reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I see the "infamous" Super Pub Zanzibar has been gutted only the facade remains. If im not mistaken that was the first of Dublins "Superpubs" by the Dwyer Brothers.
    Also same with their old haunt on Mount Street ODwyers/ Howl at the Moon / Dance Macabre. Completely demolished i think the facade is being kept only.
    I remember Howl at the Moon reopened in the 00's after being done up and we always used to think they must have spend a fortune on it. Mad to think it's gutted.
    Hated Zanzibar.

The ladies among the group would always insist on going there for some reason, drink cost a fortune. Then you could guarantee that one of the rock apes on the door would refuse one of the lads for no reason whatsoever, in the pre-mobile era this meant night ruined. If you turned up on your own and got refused, your friends inside would just assume you didn't show up. So then you'd have to meet up somewhere else beforehand that didn't have its head up its arse. And the logical next step would be to stay there :)
    I have the exact same memories of Zanzibar! Bouncers never letting us in. It was marketed as the biggest bar in Dublin. In was almost a running joke between us because we could never get in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Another i remember was Berminghams om Dorset St. Was in it a few times. Must be gone 10 years at this stage.

I was in it once. Did a pub crawl down Dorset street to see what all the pubs were like, around 2008. We always used to laugh at Berminghams because of the old brown tile exterior. Turns out it was hands down the best pub along the street, a really cool original retro decor inside. Staff were dead sound too and so were the people in there. Pity it's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The Hill is only closed maybe 8 months, it had closed and reopened before.
    It had reinvented itself as a craft-beer gastropub last I heard...... didn't realise it had closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Cienciano wrote: »
    I was in it once. Did a pub crawl down Dorset street to see what all the pubs were like, around 2008. We always used to laugh at Berminghams because of the old brown tile exterior. Turns out it was hands down the best pub along the street, a really cool original retro decor inside. Staff were dead sound too and so were the people in there. Pity it's gone

Joxer Daly's further down used to be our work local (farrrrr too long ago). Think it's closed at least ten years, something else there now.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It had reinvented itself as a craft-beer gastropub last I heard...... didn't realise it had closed again.

Had gone really weird near the end. The whole place seemed to be falling apart. They started refurbishing the toilets and never really finished, I was the bar one night and a girl came up to tell the barman a ceiling tile in the Ladies' had just fallen on her head. Could go throguh 4 or 5 of their taps before finding a beer they had in stock. Service was gone really poor too, reached the point where we just stopped going there even for a quick pint as it was too much hassle. Then it seemed to just close down overnight. Had the impression they must have had serious cash flow issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Murrays pub group either owned or had the lease on that pub for a good while. Not sure if they had it in the latter stages though.

• Advertisement

It lives in on - in so far as its licenced was transferred to - as a Maxol in Maynooth. Two fridges of beer and a shelf of naggins. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It lives in on - in so far as its licenced was transferred to - as a Maxol in Maynooth. Two fridges of beer and a shelf of naggins. :(

That's bizarre. That Maxol is there (and selling booze) a lot longer than 10 years. Maybe only had wine bitd when I think about it.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That's bizarre. That Maxol is there (and selling booze) a lot longer than 10 years. Maybe only had wine bitd when I think about it.

Only had wine, which has a different and much easier to get licence. Loads of petrol stations only sell wine.

The Maxol itself is there, through multiple buildings, since the early 70s at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The Black Horse another one. Got a bit ropey towards the end. Bit of trouble never too far away.

The Village Inn also. Was full of travellers and closed down. Back open now i think.

Planning Permission recently gone in again for The Black Horse site. http://echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/new-apartment-plans-for-black-horse-inn-site

I used to work in Xtravision next door to the Village Inn... had the pleasure of some bloke being chased out of the pub, and into my shop by a lad wielding a sock with a couple of snooker balls in it one midweek evening, disrupting my college assignment work :pac:... Think it's called the Richmond now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Planning Permission recently gone in again for The Black Horse site. http://echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/new-apartment-plans-for-black-horse-inn-site

I used to work in Xtravision next door to the Village Inn... had the pleasure of some bloke being chased out of the pub, and into my shop by a lad wielding a sock with a couple of snooker balls in it one midweek evening, disrupting my college assignment work :pac:... Think it's called the Richmond now.

Changed again now and is called T. Kinsella's and covered in manky wood panelling.

Calling it The Richmond was so weird given Richmond House-McDowell's is just down on Emmet Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I remember having a pint in there some years back, was quite a mellow spot, have been in other North inner city boozers that have a bit of a, lets we say, ..atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Someone here before had a link to the pubs of dublin and their licenses, with their current status (BonnieSituation?). Anyone know the story with the Ardee House next to Newmarket? It got a fresh lick of paint before the lockdown...but no sign of anything else. There were rumours a few years ago that the lads in Teelings bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

retalivity wrote: »
    Someone here before had a link to the pubs of dublin and their licenses, with their current status (BonnieSituation?). Anyone know the story with the Ardee House next to Newmarket? It got a fresh lick of paint before the lockdown...but no sign of anything else. There were rumours a few years ago that the lads in Teelings bought it?

Was also a rumour Teeling lads had bought Grays of Newmarket, seems to depend you hear the rumour from :pac:

retalivity wrote: »

You probably mean the links in my sig.

The Ardee House has been off the registers for so long I wouldn't be that sure it has a licence anymore. Some did basic external repairs to it a few years back but its still the same state as it was after that.

There is an ownership change application on the property file but I don't really want to pay 3.50 to find out any details!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Changed again now and is called T. Kinsella's and covered in manky wood panelling.

Calling it The Richmond was so weird given Richmond House-McDowell's is just down on Emmet Road.

I remember hearing or reading that they were going to gut the pub entirely and put in student accommodation there at one stage.

Was surprised to see they just retarred what looks like a collapsing flat roof and stuck up the horrible wood panelling and called it The Richmond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not surprisingly, Joan Collins has her head jammed firmly up her arse. It's right beside the luas stop ffs. Should be no car parking at all really.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 manofachill

wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pubs_in_Dublin

Here is a list of all photos of pubs in Dublin on Wikipedia split into categories by pubs for 111 pubs. It includes some photos going back several decades. There is a further 23 pubs below that which haven't been put into categories yet. There are also countless other photos on Wikimedia which just haven't been tagged yet or haven't been found yet.

There particularly seems to have been some German tourists in the 70's and 80's who did a lot of good work in taking photos of older less well known pubs which have been uploaded to Flickr and Wikipedia in recent years.

There is also a similar list of pubs for county dublin (outside of the city) but very few of these have been categorised yet so they are a bit more difficult to navigate around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Village Inn also. Was full of travellers and closed down. Back open now i think.

Was a kip alright. Not been in the new one. Looks quite trendy when I drive by, in keeping with how that are is going. Have been in the Black Horse on and off - albeit not on a regular basis - for nearly 20 years and it's always been a quiet enough pub. Clearys round the corner seems to get a bad rep but was in there a handful of times and seemed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was a kip alright. Not been in the new one. Looks quite trendy when I drive by, in keeping with how that are is going. Have been in the Black Horse on and off - albeit not on a regular basis - for nearly 20 years and it's always been a quiet enough pub. Clearys round the corner seems to get a bad rep but was in there a handful of times and seemed OK.

Just stop into the Glen and be grand.

When I was in Clearys there was this guy arguing with the barman about whether he (the punter, not the barman) was Italian or not. All the other customers left.

wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pubs_in_Dublin

Here is a list of all photos of pubs in Dublin on Wikipedia split into categories by pubs for 111 pubs. It includes some photos going back several decades. There is a further 23 pubs below that which haven't been put into categories yet. There are also countless other photos on Wikimedia which just haven't been tagged yet or haven't been found yet.

There particularly seems to have been some German tourists in the 70's and 80's who did a lot of good work in taking photos of older less well known pubs which have been uploaded to Flickr and Wikipedia in recent years.

I have now updated this to 135 pubs broadly within the Dublin City Council boundaries.

There are probably photos of another 40 pubs in county dublin which haven't yet been categorised

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I have now updated this to 135 pubs broadly within the Dublin City Council boundaries.

There are probably photos of another 40 pubs in county dublin which haven't yet been categorised
    Getting this when I paste the link:

Category:Pubs in Dublin
    Jump to navigation
    Jump to search

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

This category currently contains no pages or media.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Getting this when I paste the link:

Category:Pubs in Dublin
    Jump to navigation
    Jump to search

There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

This category currently contains no pages or media.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Pubs_in_Dublin

That should fix it. I wasn't allowed to post it before because my account didn't have enough posts on boards.ie. I have increased it again to 141 pubs although it sometimes takes a few hours for wikimedia to update with the most recent update so it may only be showing 135

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,639 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone been into the former JJ Smyths now the Thomas Moore. Did they do it up inside? The outside looks like all the brickwork has been re-pointed and theres some quote by Thomas Moore painted right at the top of the building

Advertisement