Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

tossy wrote: »
    It might drop a little but it will never stop, there will always be a certain kind of person who believes that it's beneath them to pay their way. There are incidents in these pages of people getthing caught with tax out over a year on cars that cost a couple of hundred euro a year to tax or vans that cost only comercial rates. I bet a good portion of these will own the latest phone or have a 55 inch tv at home... it's not always down to financial constraints just selfishness and a general thick cnut attitude.

Yes because if insurance was €100 per year then these "thick" ***** still wouldn't pay anyway because it is better to go to court and pay massive fines and lose your license for years instead of paying €100. Absolute nonsense. There is a checkpoint on top of checkpoint now and the main reason for not having insurance are stupid costs. Even for a tiny 1l car you can pay thousands when you're starting out. It's one of the most rip off systems in the world while we all know that insuring the vehicle itself so anyone can drive it, is a much better and less complicated way but then there wouldn't be millions coming in. Where will the insurance companies invest their profits then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Ohio9 wrote: »
    Yes because if insurance was €100 per year then these "thick" ***** still wouldn't pay anyway because it is better to go to court and pay massive fines and lose your license for years instead of paying €100. Absolute nonsense. There is a checkpoint on top of checkpoint now and the main reason for not having insurance are stupid costs. Even for a tiny 1l car you can pay thousands when you're starting out. It's one of the most rip off systems in the world while we all know that insuring the vehicle itself so anyone can drive it, is a much better and less complicated way but then there wouldn't be millions coming in. Where will the insurance companies invest their profits then?

I'm not sure if you're rubbishing my post or agreeing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

10 years of no tax! They should be made to back pay the whole ten years — FFS, there is no excuse for that. Discs for another vehicle, driver not licensed. We need to wake up and throw these ignorant cnuts in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

10 years of no tax! They should be made to back pay the whole ten years — FFS, there is no excuse for that. Discs for another vehicle, driver not licensed. We need to wake up and throw these ignorant cnuts in jail.

That would require giving viloent crimes lower sentences or building new prisons.
    I don't think it would be a popular proposal to most voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Guys don't ye know that it's the pandemic of 2020 that meant he couldn't tax his van in 2011, or 2012, or 2013, or....

Plus he was probably using it to ferry food and medicine to his bedbound granny and volunteering at the animal shelter at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

They will Just claim they don't have the money....they know we don't have the space in our prisons so any fine will never be paid & any prison sentence will be minimal. The political will power & money is not there to enforce these crimes.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just looking at some of the drug test results that they post.
    They rarely seem to report on people found driving while having benzodiazepines in their system.
    I believe it is legal once you have a prescription and are not noticeably intoxicated.
    But so many people take them without a doctors prescription you would think it would be a bigger problem and would show up frequently.

most of the people using benzo's are using them in combination with heroin or methadone , usually both will test positive together, its really a drug combo that hits the inner cities and the poorest in society so many would not have legitimate access to a car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think we are approaching uninsured drivers in the classic Irish way i.e not fixing the problem as the source but bodge a solution. If the government tackled the ridiculous cost of insurance in this country the number of uninsured drivers would drop.

How do you judge that the cost of insurance is ridiculous? Mine isn't anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ohio9 wrote: »

If we fixed our compensation culture and stopped paying out for unproved whiplash and back injuries we would have much lower insurance cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Whats the actual cost of your policy?

Without a NCB?

Unregistered Users

There is always an exception & extremes so we are not talking about your specific insurance, but more IN GENERAL for the majority of people the overall cost of insurance is high here.

Back on thread topic...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Breakerz wrote: »
    The cost of insurance is ridiculous. It shouldn't really come as a surprise as large companies are now going directly to underwriters for self-administered schemes rather that take out cost prohibitive policies in RoI. There is no justification for the gouging that goes on in the insurance market in Ireland and unfortunately we have probably the worst insurance industry in Europe, if not the world.

Can you provide any specific evidence to support those claims?

Whats the actual cost of your policy?

Without a NCB?

I paid about €360 net this year for comp. Car value of €25k. Model risk.

Doesn't seem excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn't seem excessive.

It’s unusually cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Doesn't seem excessive.

I paid about the same for both my wife's and my own car - one with Aviva and the other Axa through Supervalu.

I find there are deals out there every year if willing to put in the time on the internet, usually have to change insurer but, so be it.

There is a separate thread for your Insurance prices/quotes discussion....use it
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058074990

Back on Garda Traffic twitter related thread topics here....:D

BronsonTB wrote: »
    There is a separate thread for your Insurance prices/quotes discussion....use it
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058074990

Back on Garda Traffic twitter related thread topics here....:D

One of the major reasons for and spin off discussions emanating from the entire Garda Traffic tweets thread relates to motor insurance.

Whilst you are correct that there is a separate area for discussing that topic specifically there is inevitably going to be a degree of overlap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I know it's already posted above in the midst of three other tweets but I'm pulling it out for a separate discussion
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1260494031584399361

Surely if he or she hasn't copped on after the first FCPN on the same day, that warrants a visit to the judge to convince his or her honour as to why they should be allowed to retain their licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

flazio wrote: »
    I know it's already posted above in the midst of three other tweets but I'm pulling it out for a separate discussion
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1260494031584399361

Surely if he or she hasn't copped on after the first FCPN on the same day, that warrants a visit to the judge to convince his or her honour as to why they should be allowed to retain their licence.

Probably thought lighting can't strike twice.....

May not be exactly the same place but it well can strike twice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Probably thought lighting can't strike twice.....

May not be exactly the same place but it well can strike twice.....

In the early days of penalty points one genius picked up 12 points in a single month, all from the same fixed speed camera

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/banned-by-points-delay-1.1152954

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭JustARandomGuy

Here's some food for thought:

150 km/h is not dangerous on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well ,it's not always dangerous ,but it is above the speed limit ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Nobody claimed it was? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭Ohio9

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well ,it's not always dangerous ,but it is above the speed limit ...

It used to be ok to keep slaves and since it wasn't illegal, it's all good. I love Germany. Amazing country with amazing people and no potato levels of logic used.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

It depends on who's driving.

You can't have individual speed limits for every person, so one has to be set for the whole population of drivers- old, young, experienced, novice, professional etc., etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But coming up at that speed on an accident that blocks the road is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement