Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surprised they didn't blur the name of the boat as it would identify the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t suppose they were charged with anything though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t suppose they were charged with anything though?

Maybe but I don't think there is a public database that links boat name to real name so that may make it ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

Not specifically Garda Traffic related, but thought this one was worth a post, from Kinsale

https://twitter.com/cormacfitzg/status/1258975889288806400

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1259503520786591746

You do have to wonder what logic goes through the tiny minds of these individuals. Driving while disqualified and drawing attention to yourself by speeding well over the speed limit. Is this lack of intelligence inherited or something practiced over the years?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

You do have to wonder what logic goes through the tiny minds of these individuals. Driving while disqualified and drawing attention to yourself by speeding well over the speed limit. Is this lack of intelligence inherited or something practiced over the years?

A serious lack of giving a **** for a lot of them I’d say. Comes from years to getting away with these things.

That's it really. Just years of doing it and getting away with it so they don't even think about it.
    But right now there is more cops and less cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

salonfire wrote: »
    I thought it is common knowledge now the checkpoints don't operate at night ... just go during the early hours of the morning

Nope. I got pulled at an MIT CP at 7 pm. No problem for me, but it was an odd time for it.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Nope. I got pulled at an MIT CP at 7 pm. No problem for me, but it was an odd time for it.
    If outside a well lit area, they typically shut down around 9.30pm as it becomes unsafe for all concerned. I was down in Clonakilty last week - passed through 3 checkpoints on the way there - and all 3 were gone on the return journey.

Oh and before someone suggests that they moved because people would have learned their location - one of them is where they've had a checkpoint almost daily from 7am to 9.30pm so anyone who travels that road is well aware that it'll most likely be there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

joujoujou wrote: »

Who needs to go to Specsavers, the clown who made this or the Garda who actually felt the need to check their app to see that this was fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

pinktoe wrote: »
    Who needs to go to Specsavers, the clown who made this or the Garda who actually felt the need to check their app to see that this was fake.

I reckon the Guard knew well it was a fake but just to remove any wiggle room should the perp try to appeal, the Guard can rightly refer to the app database as his or her basis for charging with an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

bazz26 wrote: »

Just someone who knows that he will be able to do it again and again and again . For the one time they get caught they could have drove for 12 months without a penalty. What will happen? 500 fine and if they pay (as most don’t just do 5 days in lieu which is actually 5 hrs ) Oh they will be banned again and that will really frighten them and finally the judge will really frighten them by telling them that they are at risk of prison If caught again .. So in a nutshell that’s why people drive without insurance and don’t worry about the tiny consequences...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭wassie

pinktoe wrote: »
    Another example of why we should do away with this all of the disc nonsense and join the 21st century like the rest of the developed world.

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Surprised they didn't commandeer it at the rate I'm seeing Hyundai's on the back of trucks lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Makes for interesting reading in regards to why the Gardaí are catching so many uninsured drivers.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/14000-more-uninsured-vehicles-were-on-irish-roads-in-2019/

Just looking at some of the drug test results that they post.
    They rarely seem to report on people found driving while having benzodiazepines in their system.
    I believe it is legal once you have a prescription and are not noticeably intoxicated.
    But so many people take them without a doctors prescription you would think it would be a bigger problem and would show up frequently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

flazio wrote: »
    Makes for interesting reading in regards to why the Gardaí are catching so many uninsured drivers.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/14000-more-uninsured-vehicles-were-on-irish-roads-in-2019/

There isn't much in the article explaining why. But when you read something like this, it kind of shows they are missing the point in it themselves.
    “Uninsured drivers are a threat to road safety for the law abiding majority of private vehicle drivers, making Irish roads less safe and a lot more hazardous.”

Being uninsured, just makes compensation for a claim more difficult for the person who loses out. It does not mean there is a threat to road safety that is negated somewhat by being insured. That comes from just being a road user of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I think we are approaching uninsured drivers in the classic Irish way i.e not fixing the problem as the source but bodge a solution. If the government tackled the ridiculous cost of insurance in this country the number of uninsured drivers would drop.

It might drop a little but it will never stop, there will always be a certain kind of person who believes that it's beneath them to pay their way. There are incidents in these pages of people getthing caught with tax out over a year on cars that cost a couple of hundred euro a year to tax or vans that cost only comercial rates. I bet a good portion of these will own the latest phone or have a 55 inch tv at home... it's not always down to financial constraints just selfishness and a general thick cnut attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭Damien360

tossy wrote: »
    It might drop a little but it will never stop, there will always be a certain kind of person who believes that it's beneath them to pay their way. There are incidents in these pages of people getthing caught with tax out over a year on cars that cost a couple of hundred euro a year to tax or vans that cost only comercial rates. I bet a good portion of these will own the latest phone or have a 55 inch tv at home... it's not always down to financial constraints just selfishness and a general thick cnut attitude.

Some of that is true but the tv and phone is a one off cost. Insurance, particularly for older (10 years ain’t old....) cars is bordering on ridiculous. Young drivers insurance is expensive for a good reason but there are loads of ordinary folks in ordinary cars asking why they pay so much. Especially when they have no claims history.

Our current family car insurance is up this month. Quotes range from 410 fully comp to 750 fully comp. 400 is acceptable, 750 is not. We have never had even a single claim and each have been driving a long time. If I take out the various discounts for no claims and no points history, I would be looking at 2500. One valid small claim can leave you out of pocket for years as nobody will touch you. That’s not right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement