Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Much the same position here. Left home the week before paddy's day to help out vulnerable family and never expected to be away this long.

Increasingly worried about the security of the place and my stuff. The problem isn't so much getting there (150km away) as if I'm stopped they'd send me home anyway. It's getting back down afterwards.

My employer is classed as essential though and my place is halfway between where I am now and work, so I think I'll just get them to amend the letter they issued with the second address and take a spin this week.

I can't afford to come back to an empty place and as I'm renting I'm sure the landlord wouldn't want it left idle much longer either

I thought it is common knowledge now the checkpoints don't operate at night ... just go during the early hours of the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

A bit harsh taking someones car for no tax in a pandemic, can it not be settled with a fine? Can you even tax a car at the moment, Ross should start offering car tax refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A bit harsh taking someones car for no tax in a pandemic, can it not be settled with a fine? Can you even tax a car at the moment, Ross should start offering car tax refunds.

It's 18 months of tax missing ;)

And yes you can tax car right now. And definitely could 18 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Exactly I taxed my car last Wednesday night and had the new disk on Friday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If they didn't pay the tax what makes you think they will pay the fine.

It's tax dodgers like this that make it worse for everyone else. If we had the extra tax maybe we would have extra money to pay for better services.

I can't get over the spudity of people driving around with no tax insurance licence when it's all over the news that the cops will be out all weekend.

Ah there stupid alright but tax isn't something I think you should lose your car over in a pandemic. Give them a few weeks to take their new tax to a local Garda station. No tax doesn't make the roads dangerous but taking the car causes people to put in danger, they'll probably need a lift to get it and could be struggling financially at the moment, they also might be needed help someone.
    I'd put it way down the scale of things to be worrying about at the moment. It's a 0 sum game anyway, it'll cost more in Garda time and transportation/storage than 18mts tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car wasn't taxed in 18 months, the pandemic had nothing to do with that other than he got caught and it should not be used as an excuse or get out of jail card. Most of these tossers driving around without tax or insurance do it as an occupational hazard. Driving is not right, it's a privilege. Letting them off with it just encourages it more and makes you & me who pays our tax on time, into bigger fools for complying with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

flazio wrote: »
    So, no tax or nct but they did have insurance on a 19 year old provisional?
    As for plates, my top grind is when a car has both an N and an L at the same time.
    Basically I have absolutely no idea who's driving.

Always thought that meant they were identifying as Dutch :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    The car wasn't taxed in 18 months, the pandemic had nothing to do with that other than he got caught and it should not be used as an excuse or get out of jail card. Most of these tossers driving around without tax or insurance do it as an occupational hazard. Driving is not right, it's a privilege. Letting them off with it just encourages it more and makes you & me who pays our tax on time, into bigger fools for complying with the law.

I didn't say let them off with it, if they don't appear in the station in the next couple of weeks with tax send someone around for the car. Give them a chance to sort it out though, it's not normal times. Could be poor old Jessica in the wheelchairs mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I didn't say let them off with it, if they don't appear in the station in the next couple of weeks with tax send someone around for the car. Give them a chance to sort it out though, it's not normal times. Could be poor old Jessica in the wheelchairs mum.

That's not the way it works, car has to be seized at scene. You keep going on about giving them time...they've had the time and more, they're taking the piss at 18 months of time.

Jessica already had 18 months to sort it. Are you seriously that naïve to believe that or is just the lockdown?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Jessica already had 18 months to sort it. Are you seriously that naïve to believe that or is just the lockdown?

Just for the lockdown, if the car is roadworthy and insured deal with it a different way is all I'm saying. We supposedly have a killer virus on our hands and the least risky thing to do is not confiscate the car on the side of the road.
    How do they keep their distance on the way home with someone? How does the recovery guy know he's not jumping into a car with a good dose of Covid in the air.
    It's either a killer and no unnecessary risks should be taken or it's not. Considering the guards are all piling around in the same car with no masks i'm starting to believe it's a hoax or else they've all had the vaccine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Just for the lockdown, if the car is roadworthy and insured deal with it a different way is all I'm saying. We supposedly have a killer virus on our hands and the least risky thing to do is not confiscate the car on the side of the road.
    How do they keep their distance on the way home with someone? How does the recovery guy know he's not jumping into a car with a good dose of Covid in the air.
    It's either a killer and no unnecessary risks should be taken or it's not. Considering the guards are all piling around in the same car with no masks i'm starting to believe it's a hoax or else they've all had the vaccine.
    You are fighting a loosing battle here and rightly so. Fcuk em. Let them walk. It will do these tossers good.

Guards have to work and because of eejits like that the recovery drivers have to work, too.

This is front line staff and they have to do it.

This is the only car lately taken just because of tax. Majority of posted here were more complex cases of people who definitely shouldn't be on the road.

Witcher wrote: »
    That's not the way it works, car has to be seized at scene. You keep going on about giving them time...they've had the time and more, they're taking the piss at 18 months of time.

Describing it as taking the piss is too sympathetic.
    Anyone that thinks its ok to drive while avoiding 18 months of road tax, will probably knowingly buy stolen stuff from your gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So what, just don’t bother your hole paying your tax because it’s a pandemic? Any other bills or taxes we shouldn’t bother with?

Describing it as taking the piss is too sympathetic.
    Anyone that thinks its ok to drive while avoiding 18 months of road tax, will probably knowingly buy stolen stuff from your gaff.

On the scale of motoring offences it bottom of the list but causes the most hardship in a pandemic. It also causes unnecessary risks.
    Report them to the revenue, let them deal with it, dock it from their wages or state supports.
    Your anology is dumb, you could apply it to any offence.

• Advertisement

On the scale of motoring offences it bottom of the list but causes the most hardship in a pandemic. It also causes unnecessary risks.
    Report them to the revenue, let them deal with it, dock it from their wages or state supports.
    Your anology is dumb, you could apply it to any offence.

You still seem to be missing the fact that their tax was out by 18 months. We have only been in the cusp of a pandemic for the last 3 months. What other sob story are you going to give them for the other 15 months of dodging tax?

AGS can seize a vehicle with expired tax of 3 months or greater under law, that didn't change under the current pandemic measures. Equally there is nothing in place that changed the scale of offenses in order to give certain people a free pass on what they need to comply with or not.

5 lads in one car with disqualified driver behind the wheel. Wonder how far did they go before being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Tough, did they give a toss about Aunt Jessica when they were driving around with an untaxed car? Zero tolerance for breaking the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,434 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another e60

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement