Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BronsonTB wrote: »
    I'm sure it would BUT that's the issue, they ain't getting that as punishment!
    (Free to keep driving & accumulate bans) :mad:

The DJ could imprison them for 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Constantly retweeting the old pride flag is getting a bit jarring do we really need the guards virtue signalling every day we'll have enough of it by the end of next month. It's about as far from an all inclusive symbol as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Constantly retweeting the old pride flag is getting a bit jarring do we really need the guards virtue signalling every day we'll have enough of it by the end of next month. It's about as far from an all inclusive symbol as you can get.

The Gardai should never have adopted the symbol of political faction in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Off topic - Read about the new HSE campaign 'Hold Firm'. The campaign takes inspiration from the words of President Michael D Higgins, written in his 1993 poem, Take Care......

Knock yourself out with more info here - https://healthservice.hse.ie/staff/news/coronavirus/hse-hold-firm-campaign.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't think #holdfirm has anything to do with Pride and how could they trademark a rainbow, which occurs naturally?

I don't think #holdfirm has anything to do with Pride and how could they trademark a rainbow, which occurs naturally?

Hashtag just sounds wrong with the pride flag, what exactly are we meant to hold firm, it's the last flag before the current one where they dropped pink due to the pink fabric shortage. There's a world of symbols they could of used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Hashtag just sounds wrong with the pride flag, what exactly are we meant to hold firm, it's the last flag before the current one where they dropped pink due to the pink fabric shortage. There's a world of symbols they could of used.

It's a rainbow, not the pride flag.

The only problem with the symbol is your perception of it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pink? Isn't a color typically associated with a rainbow.

• Advertisement

Pink? Isn't a color typically associated with a rainbow.

Pink was in the pride flag originally, there was a pink fabric shortage in the 70's so they had to drop the pink stripe in favour of the 7 stripe one above, the current one came afterwards and has only 6 stripes.
    I think the straights have kidnapped the pink now so it's won't be coming back to the flag ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

TJJP wrote: »
    Off topic - Read about the new HSE campaign 'Hold Firm'.

Is it about handshakes?

Pink was in the pride flag originally, there was a pink fabric shortage in the 70's so they had to drop the pink stripe in favour of the 7 stripe one above, the current one came afterwards and has only 6 stripes.
    I think the straights have kidnapped the pink now so it's won't be coming back to the flag ever.

What are you on about pride for? It's just a rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

If they were putting up pictures of pride flags, or were in some way tying it in to LGBT etc. I could maybe somewhat understand the complaint. But it's literally the colours of the rainbow in the shape of a rainbow; a thing that has naturally appeared in the sky for presumably billions of years.

Some people just tie themselves in knots looking for things to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

wassie wrote: »
    In Australia they have red light & speed cameras at high risk traffic light controlled intersections. Peeps who speed up to run red lights in turn get fined & penalty points twice - once for speeding and once for running a red light. Problem sorted!

Given the Garda have only been issued with their new mobility app toy in the last few months whist other countries have had similar tech for the best part of a decade, could be years before we see anything of the sort here. At least the mobility app makes their Twitter feed interesting now!

And not a little €80 fine, $500 for each. That would soften some coughs here where red light now seems to mean go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

fullstop wrote: »
    And not a little €80 fine, $500 for each. That would soften some coughs here where red light now seems to mean go.

While st home I have been watching Highway Patrol. Think it's new Zeland. Take no crap and the fines and prices are big. Of course if same happened here we would have some complaint of money racket or bullying by the cop

Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

While st home I have been watching Highway Patrol. Think it's new Zeland. Take no crap and the fines and prices are big. Of course if same happened here we would have some complaint of money racket or bullying by the cop

to be fair they make the same complaints ever there. along with regular outings of the old favourite "i pay your wages".

to be fair they make the same complaints ever there. along with regular outings of the old favourite "i pay your wages".
    True but they are allowed to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

....and carry sidearms! ;)

Do they!!! Never saw a episode with side arms but I suppose they was no reason to

Unregistered Users

Do they!!! Never saw a episode with side arms but I suppose they was no reason to

not in new zealand. regular police do not carry sidearms.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What is a side arm?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Pistol, Revolver or other small arms that is usually carried in a holster or similar.

They are not used by the Gardai (at least not visibly). They used to prefer the Uzi - not sure what the current choice is. Detectives carry some form of gun, I think.

The Gardai actually shot someone down in Cork at a check point yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

I think there are two different police patrol shows from New Zealand and Australia. They carry side arms in Australia and not in New Zealand. That is probably what people are seeing.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    They currently use Sigs as a side-arm and also have MP7's.

My point is that side arm suggest that it is visible, but Gardai do not use visible arms like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My point is that side arm suggest that it is visible, but Gardai do not use visible arms like that.

The armed support unit certainly do.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/top-armed-units-deployed-gardai-17955956

• Advertisement

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    I think there are two different police patrol shows from New Zealand and Australia. They carry side arms in Australia and not in New Zealand. That is probably what people are seeing.

Highway patrol is the NZ version. the Aussie one is Motorway patrol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement