Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options
  • 13-05-2020 5:49am

I made myself a bit of a fry earlier and can't see how it was that unhealthy.. Half a teaspoon of olive oil. Onions. Garlic. Mushrooms. Cherry tomatoes. Slice of bacon. Scrambled eggs. Slice of brown bread toast. All cooked on a low to medium heat with a dash of fish sauce.

You always hear that fries are terrible but I'm not seeing it. I'm not overweight so don't care about some bacon, and the rest could be put into any "healthy" meal. The fish sauce has sodium but I only used a tiny bit.

Does the mantra that they're a heart attack on a plate come from them being cooked in loads of crappy oil or lard? I definitely made some very unhealthy ones in the past with tonnes of oil.

Comments

I made myself a bit of a fry earlier and can't see how it was that unhealthy.. Half a teaspoon of olive oil. Onions. Garlic. Mushrooms. Cherry tomatoes. Slice of bacon. Scrambled eggs. Slice of brown bread toast. All cooked on a low to medium heat with a dash of fish sauce.

You always hear that fries are terrible but I'm not seeing it. I'm not overweight so don't care about some bacon, and the rest could be put into any "healthy" meal. The fish sauce has sodium but I only used a tiny bit.

Does the mantra that they're a heart attack on a plate come from them being cooked in loads of crappy oil or lard? I definitely made some very unhealthy ones in the past with tonnes of oil.

That’s not even close to resembling a fry so it’s probably ok.

But I’m guessing that’s the real reason for the thread the first place.

That’s not even close to resembling a fry so it’s probably ok.

But I’m guessing that’s the real reason for the thread the first place.

Real reason? I don't see how adding some baked beans and a sausage would make it any much worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is not a fry. It is a hot salad with a rasher.

A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers. If you want something healthy then you can fry a half of a tomato but obviously you don't actually eat it.
    Big mug of coffee or tea is the beverage of choice.
    On a good day course number 2 is pancakes with maple syrup.

Yes they are unhealthy.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is not a fry. It is a bit salad with a rashers.

A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers. If you want something healthy then you can fry a haly of a tomato but obviously you don't actually eat it.
    Big mug of coffee or tea is the beverage of choice.
    On a good day course number 2 iss pancakes with maple syrup.

Yes they are unhealthy.

"A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers."

Apart from making the mushrooms greasy, that doesn't sound unhealthy to me. It just sounds like a tonne of food.

"A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers."

Apart from making the mushrooms greasy, that doesn't sound unhealthy to me. It just sounds like a tonne of food.

Everything on there is unhealthy so it’s a tonne of unhealthy (but delicious) food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Not frying them in olive oil either. Use a proper oil that gives some taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I enjoy an occasional fry when I'm back in Ireland, and even bring some vacuum packed artisan pudding and sausages back to Germany with me for a brunch treat. That is the source of some mirth for my German friends. 'But Aongus, this is already the country of 500 types of sausages; why do you need to bring your own?'

What I do notice about Ireland is that many people are obsessed with the idea of quantity when it comes to a fry. They'd rather a large plate of barely human-grade mushed pig meat, than a smaller fry made up of quality ingredients. Red-faced men queuing up with a tray for an 11-item breakfast which has been sitting under lights since the food was reheated in trays earlier that morning. Fried eggs sitting in grease, congealed baked beans, rubbery rashers with a thin skin of salty foam forming on them.

I enjoy an occasional fry when I'm back in Ireland, and even bring some vacuum packed artisan pudding and sausages back to Germany with me for a brunch treat. That is the source of some mirth for my German friends. 'But Aongus, this is already the country of 500 types of sausages; why do you need to bring your own?'

What I do notice about Ireland is that many people are obsessed with the idea of quantity when it comes to a fry. They'd rather a large plate of barely human-grade mushed pig meat, than a smaller fry made up of quality ingredients. Red-faced men queuing up with a tray for an 11-item breakfast which has been sitting under lights since the food was reheated in trays earlier that morning. Fried eggs sitting in grease, congealed baked beans, rubbery rashers with a thin skin of salty foam forming on them.

Sounds perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, you can make it healthier by spraying it with 1 cal oil and cooking it in the oven. I know technically it's not a fry but contains fewer calories and you can always dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.

Poach the eggs instead of scrambling.

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Worked in Germany in the late 70s didn't find any of their sausages appealing TBH,
    Spent over 12 years (5 plus times a year) in Transylvania,
    All their sausages are of german ( Saxon) origin,and again not great,now the German bread is tops, liked their beer when o used take alcohol, but Irish sausage for me I'd number 1, alongside Clonakilty white pudding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Worked in Germany in the late 70s didn't find any of their sausages appealing TBH,
    Spent over 12 years (5 plus times a year) in Transylvania,
    All their sausages are of german ( Saxon) origin,and again not great,now the German bread is tops, liked their beer when o used take alcohol, but Irish sausage for me I'd number 1, alongside Clonakilty white pudding

Try Kelly's white pudding . Better than sex !

Bullocks wrote: »

The butchers ring (oooer) for me, or Rudd’s if I’m in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What do you do with the pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Ipso wrote: »

Do you grease it up before sticking it in?

Or is there enough oil on the pan already?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ipso wrote: »

Before frying it I use it on the wife until she has had a minimum of 3 orgasms then once on myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Before frying it I use it on the wife until she has had a minimum of 3 orgasms then once on myself .

You're talking about a ring of pudding here, right mister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not trying them in olive oil either. Use a proper oil that gives some taste.

Agree with the above.
    Or why not use some type of 'dripping' or 'lard', I'd recommend 'Frytex'.
    Treat yourself every morning for months on end, but do make sure to stay close to a hospital, or at least someplace that you know for sure, has a working defibrillator.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Post time 5:49am.

Thinly veiled I’m up since 5am and have a fry and all eaten :D:D:D

Joking of course.
    Don’t see any problem with this or a full fry up but not every day and once your working it off during the day it’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The butchers ring (oooer) for me, or Rudd’s if I’m in a shop.

Big fan of the Rudds white. That and eggs are my standard lock down breakfast

It’s a hard one to manage, loves to break up in the pan, but it’s worth it.

• Advertisement

Never heard of Rudd's must try and source some

antix80 wrote: »
    Op, you can make it healthier by spraying it with 1 cal oil and cooking it in the oven. I know technically it's not a fry but contains fewer calories and you can always dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.

Poach the eggs instead of scrambling.

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.

Dunno ref turkey rasher sounds gross

Well sex is gone ( divorce) do Kelly's will have to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Very few places do a proper fry up

First off the days of a really unhealthy fry up are only gone, that was when everything was fired in the one frying pan and cooked together more or less in the fat from the meat

Now as a minimum the sausage and bacon are done on a grill so the fats run off

The 12th lock in Blanchardstown used to do an incredible “fry up” but since it got took over it’s gone down. Cooking it fresh is the only way to go, throwing sausages and bacon that was heated 3 hours before onto a plate is horrible

Turkey bacon!!!! Never

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You've probably heard the oft mentioned "everything in moderation" approach. Doesn't apply to a fry up. If you're not eating at least one a day, then you're not a real man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The old turkey bacon can fcuk right back off to America.
    It’s a pig rasher or nothing and leave the rind on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Shefwedfan wrote: »

The 12th lock in Blanchardstown used to do an incredible “fry up” but since it got took over it’s gone down.

One of the most disappointing places I've ever had food in. That was post-take over, but I'd never go back there based on the experience. A shame really as the setting is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Your eating food in oil/butter and its own rendered fat. Sausages historically have a poor quality of meet the reason they taste so juicy is because the fat has no where to go, thus making the meet more juicy. Frying bacon is the same your cooking it in meet, while rendering its fat as you cook it . Thus making it more unhealthy.

If you grill the bacon for example the fat runs of into the grill tray. Making it some what less fatty.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Your eating food in oil/butter and its own rendered fat. Sausages historically have a poor quality of meet the reason they taste so juicy is because the fat has no where to go, thus making the meet more juicy. Frying bacon is the same your cooking it in meet, while rendering its fat as you cook it .

Mmmmmm delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Very few places do a proper fry up

First off the days of a really unhealthy fry up are only gone, that was when everything was fired in the one frying pan and cooked together more or less in the fat from the meat

Now as a minimum the sausage and bacon are done on a grill so the fats run off

The 12th lock in Blanchardstown used to do an incredible “fry up” but since it got took over it’s gone down. Cooking it fresh is the only way to go, throwing sausages and bacon that was heated 3 hours before onto a plate is horrible

Turkey bacon!!!! Never

Can I recommend the Corner Note in Dalkey? I moved over the dark (south) side a couple of years back and this place is......

Their fry is very very serious, the best I've had, I bring everyone there and they are also amazed. So tasty. You have to get the white pudding.... my god. I went vegetarian 6 months ago but I'd prob kill the pig myself for that pudding.

Advertisement