Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

That was my initial thought too, but not every team is still in the league. It'd be a bit to unfair to let some counties play before the end of 2020, and make others wait until next year.

I think every county has 2 rounds of the NFL left. If there's some opportunity to play those off before the end of the year that's what I'd go for.

BloodyBill wrote: »
    The GAA are going to regret their decision. Association football will be back all over the world (behind closed doors). The Germans lead the way. Rugby expect to be back playing...and that's club rugby. The GAA think they are some sort of 'game of the peope' yet are ducking out of playing. I dont care if they are amature. Get a good testing process going and play on.Its ludicrous and cowardly to think theyve ruled out sport in June,July ,Aug and Sept. This Covid will be around for years.. are they going to write off 2021. I'm a medical professional. If your not fat or have multiple co morbidities ,the chances of you dying are very very slim.

You can't compare the GAA to the Premier League or Bundesliga. The GAA is far more comparable to lower league soccer in the UK, which was immediately shuttered and there's little talk of it restarting before Autumn.

As for the bolded, someone had better tell the entire medical profession they've been made redundant as you obviously know better than them....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

The GAA are going to regret their decision. Association football will be back all over the world (behind closed doors). The Germans lead the way. Rugby expect to be back playing...and that's club rugby. The GAA think they are some sort of 'game of the peope' yet are ducking out of playing. I dont care if they are amature. Get a good testing process going and play on.Its ludicrous and cowardly to think theyve ruled out sport in June,July ,Aug and Sept. This Covid will be around for years.. are they going to write off 2021. I'm a medical professional. If your not fat or have multiple co morbidities ,the chances of you dying are very very slim.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

This Covid will be around for years.. are they going to write off 2021.

From reading between the lines yes I would guess so

They've gone against the government roadmap which has a return of GAA action as soon as phase 4 - not even the last phase, so I can only assume they're not looking to return before a vaccine or they're waiting for this thing to disappear

Dublin's drive for 6 might need to wait till well into the 2020s!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What a stupid post.

Doesn't matter how got or healthy a player is, having them playing GAA gives them plenty of opportunity to transmit the infection to their families or work place.

All this talk of Assocation Football coming back is just that, talk.

Assocation Football, in England, anyway is fcuked, it has been a bubble for 30 years and now it's burst, soccer teams cannot afford to keep paying huge salaries while playing behind closed doors and covering the cost of testing etc, and Sky etc are not going to pay huge money for rights for games behind closed doors that will bore the hole off you.

The GAA will be fine, it will come out of this stronger, but it's time to write off any meaningful competition in 2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

If BloodyBill is a medical professional i'm a Chinese rapper from the Wuhan Clan :)

gp1990 wrote: »
    From reading between the lines yes I would guess so

They've gone against the government roadmap which has a return of GAA action as soon as phase 4 - not even the last phase, so I can only assume they're not looking to return before a vaccine or they're waiting for this thing to disappear

Dublin's drive for 6 might need to wait till well into the 2020s!!

They haven't gone against anything. The Government roadmap is a set of earliest possible dates, not a set of rules for what must occur on a given date.

It's like saying you're going against the government rules by not drinking every day after your 18th birthday, since that's when you're allowed do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I'm a doctor too, not a real one I just read stuff on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

If no championship is played this year dublin will be all Ireland champions 6 years in a row.

What a team. Dont even play and still create history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

If no championship is played this year dublin will be all Ireland champions 6 years in a row.

What a team. Dont even play and still create history.

All the other pretenders to the crown can celebrate a championship summer not being beaten by the mighty Dubs. Best thing to happen us as we could have done with a nice break to fully recharge the batteries and be fresh as daisies to do the 8 in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Would somebody tell the Government we have unearthed a medical professional here and are finally in a position to be led out of this crisis

It doesnt necessarily have to be a championship in October. Finish the league instead to give some much needed matches to everybody. A league final under lights in November could be brilliant. Then back in January for a fresh start for everything in 2021!
    You just want the league to finish because

A. Galway have a good chance of winning it.
    B. Galway can actually end Mayo's 20+ year stay in Div 1
    C. If it's not finished Mayo remain league champions.

I'm just joking, but that is the kind of s**te talk that you get from the clowns on the soccer thread when it comes to Liverpool and Manchester United that managed to get the soccer forms COVID19 thread closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Intercounty competitions are off until at least October but the plan is to play club fixtures in July/August/September. Who knows if that will be possible of course. The GAA needed to give some clarity around intercounty and not keep pushing the start date a few weeks down the road.

As others have said, there's no comparison to professional football around Europe. All those leagues have to start a new season by the end of August so they're running out of time to finish the current ones. They also have to deal with players becoming free agents on July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/1259015247073067009?s=19

This is beautifully done...wipes tear from eye.

They love a slowed down version of a song. I quite like Bell X1 too so I wished they’d be above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

Rasputin11 wrote: »

It's great, brings home what we're going to miss this summer. RTE did a fantastic promo for Galway V Waterford in the hurling final a few years back, another great one, Iv'e tried to locate it on YouTube,no joy. If anyone can find the link it would be great to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Great video, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

agfasfos wrote: »
    It's great, brings home what we're going to miss this summer. RTE did a fantastic promo for Galway V Waterford in the hurling final a few years back, another great one, Iv'e tried to locate it on YouTube,no joy. If anyone can find the link it would be great to see it again.

Can't load the tweet from the 42.ie page, but the video is watchable from this link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42.ie/all-ireland-senior-hurling-championship-final-croke-park-waterford-galway-3579038-Sep2017/%3famp=1

EDIT: You can access the tweet on Twitter from the desktop link of 42's article:

https://www.the42.ie/all-ireland-senior-hurling-championship-final-croke-park-waterford-galway-3579038-Sep2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feckers That loss still hurts

Could they not show any of the other finals ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭agfasfos

Thanks for locating the hurling promo folks, RTE do great promos alright, I think this one is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I'm a medical professional.

DqV5Al9X0AAjcfQ?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Feckers That loss still hurts

Could they not show any of the other finals ha

2008?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2008?

that final got abandoned before throw in for mysterious reasons and Kilkenny were awarded the title cause they had a better score in the AI semi final :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

PTH2009 wrote: »
    that final got abandoned before throw in for mysterious reasons and Kilkenny were awarded the title cause they had a better score in the AI semi final :D:D:D

That was over when the Waterford lads failed to take out Tommy Walsh, Eddie Brennan before the throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What a stupid post.

Doesn't matter how got or healthy a player is, having them playing GAA gives them plenty of opportunity to transmit the infection to their families or work place.

All this talk of Assocation Football coming back is just that, talk.

Assocation Football, in England, anyway is fcuked, it has been a bubble for 30 years and now it's burst, soccer teams cannot afford to keep paying huge salaries while playing behind closed doors and covering the cost of testing etc, and Sky etc are not going to pay huge money for rights for games behind closed doors that will bore the hole off you.

The GAA will be fine, it will come out of this stronger, but it's time to write off any meaningful competition in 2020

Ah here can we not call it soccer like everyone else, well in this country anyway :) Thing is though re the EPL, its a business, its driven by TV money and id imagine the actual match day revenue from fans through the gates isnt a huge % of their income whereas in Scotland or the lower leagues in England for example it would be

Ah here can we not call it soccer like everyone else, well in this country anyway :) Thing is though re the EPL, its a business, its driven by TV money and id imagine the actual match day revenue from fans through the gates isnt a huge % of their income whereas in Scotland or the lower leagues in England for example it would be
    I called it Association Football just to humour the poster I was quoting, I'd usually call it soccer.

Without dragging this thread off topic here is why I think soccer as we know it including the EPL is frigged and the GAA will be fine.

Players are assets, they need to generate revenue.
    As long as games are not being played you are not generating any revenue and still paying for the assets.

Most EPL teams cannot sustain that.
    John Henry for example has two major teams on two sides of the Atlantic costing him huge money and generating no revenue.

Sure big teams rely less on game day revenue than smaller clubs but they rely heavily on merchandise and TV rights.

If there is a world wide recession then merchandise sales and TV subscription ate all going down.
    So the value of the TV rights will be less because people can't afford the subscription like they did and also the behind closed doors TV experience is not going to be the same as what people were used to before, only the hardcore will be as engaged as previously.

And of all revenue from merchandise and TV drop, and the owners are having trouble with their other businesses, and of the cost of running the club go up (socal distancing, testing etc) then they will not be as willing to fork out big money on players.

The value of players will be reduced.

The likes of Man City may be able to weather the storm, but that's about it, many other EPL teams will not.

It will be a very different soccer landscape in a few years.

As for the GAA, of course they are taking a hit, but the fact that they are no paying for players makes their predicament much better
    Same goes for semi-pro/amateur LOI clubs and similar in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They love a slowed down version of a song. I quite like Bell X1 too so I wished they’d be above it.

I never liked BellX1 always seem very bland to me and take the "omph" out of songs.

Not a patch on the original by Don Henley

--

Anyway I have been watching a fair bit of old GAA stuff on you tube (like most I assume).

Found this great two-parter all about the history of Galway football.

Four hours long in total!

It must have been done about 20 years ago Michael Lyster narrating. Lots of info in it. Old clips plenty of reminiscing from players. And sure that is all we can do now anyway, until the players are allowed back on the grass.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Bundesliga restart blow after entire Dynamo Dresden team quarantined

The Guardian

Substitute the sport for any other sport, the league for any other league, the club for any other club or county and the players for any other players...that's where its at with this virus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blowitupref

All the games that could have went ahead this weekend

Munster SFC quarter-finals

Waterford v Limerick
    Tipperary v Clare

Leinster SFC Rd 1

Louth v Longford
    Wexford v Wicklow
    Carlow v Offaly

Connacht SFC quarter-final
    Leitrim v Mayo

Ulster SFC preliminary rd

Monaghan v Cavan.

.Leinster SHC Rd 1: Dublin v Kilkenny, Laois v Galway.

Munster SHC Rd 1: Cork v Limerick, Waterford v Tipperary.

Joe McDonagh Cup, Rd 1:
    Antrim v Westmeath, Kerry v Meath

Christy Ring Cup, Rd 1 (Group 1): Offaly v Derry, Sligo v Wicklow; (Group 2): Roscommon v Kildare, Down v London.

Advertisement