Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Do you mean the GAA's plans or just the government roadmap? Just because they're no longer barred on the 20th of July doesn't mean the GAA are certain to resume playing that day.

That's the GAA's plan as well but obviously it could change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

I feel that date in July is very optimistic. If there is any resurgence of the virus in phase 1 and 2, I'd say they'll cancel all GAA for the year.

Speaking from my own county, there are club players training like mad on their own. I hope if it is cancelled, its cancelled soon. Get it over and done with... thats speaking as a player who's doing absolutely no training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    That's the GAA's plan as well but obviously it could change.

:confused: John Horan said the other night he didnt see GAA coming back while social distancing measures were in place. And they will still be in place when that date comes round. So I would disagree that it's the GAAs plan to go ahead on July 20th or whatever it is.

dobman88 wrote: »
    :confused: John Horan said the other night he didnt see GAA coming back while social distancing measures were in place. And they will still be in place when that date comes round. So I would disagree that it's the GAAs plan to go ahead on July 20th or whatever it is.

But the government's road map has GAA games back in July, rugby in August etc so the plan at the moment surely means social distancing is going to be relaxed?

But the government's road map has GAA games back in July, rugby in August etc so the plan at the moment surely means social distancing is going to be relaxed?

No, that was the point. Govt has it down as behind closed doors with social distancing needed. That's the point John Horan made on the Sunday game. He doesnt see how games can go ahead on a pitch if social distancing is still required. Social distancing will still be around well after the govt phases are back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I feel that date in July is very optimistic. If there is any resurgence of the virus in phase 1 and 2, I'd say they'll cancel all GAA for the year.

Speaking from my own county, there are club players training like mad on their own. I hope if it is cancelled, its cancelled soon. Get it over and done with... thats speaking as a player who's doing absolutely no training!!

Careful, it's that line of thinking that got us into this mess with the Leaving Cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

This is exactly what the road map says

Phase 4

Permit sports team leagues (e.g. soccer and GAA) but only where limitations are placed on the numbers of spectators and where social distancing can be maintained.

How can social distancing be maintained when playing a contact sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

howiya wrote: »
    This is exactly what the road map says

Phase 4

Permit sports team leagues (e.g. soccer and GAA) but only where limitations are placed on the numbers of spectators and where social distancing can be maintained.

How can social distancing be maintained when playing a contact sport?

And that is our CATCH 22. Joseph Heller would be proud of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Waiting for the day Holohan or the Gov are asked directly to explain that bit, don't think anyone has in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Social Distancing will not be a requirement in a few months time thankfully if we keep going in the right direction with the number of cases decreasing as they are. We must stay the course to get our wonderful games back.

We never benefited initially as an island nation but I feel once we get the cases down to near zero and borders and travel remain locked down we will start to benefit.

The final piece of the puzzle for a full return to club GAA IMO is a rapid testing capability that way any remaining cases / clusters can be traced and dealt with very quickly.

As good as it sounds, what about the club's in NI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Waiting for the day Holohan or the Gov are asked directly to explain that bit, don't think anyone has in the last two weeks.

I don't think there is a whole lot for them to explain.

GAA clubs are allowed resume activities as long as they maintain social distancing.

And it's really up to the GAA as individual clubs or centrally to determine what sort of activities they can do that also adhere to social distancing rules.

Obviously full training and games cannot happen with social distancing, so it's up to the GAA to decide what they can do.

I don't think there is a whole lot for them to explain.

GAA clubs are allowed resume activities as long as they maintain social distancing.

And it's really up to the GAA as individual clubs or centrally to determine what sort of activities they can do that also adhere to social distancing rules.

Obviously full training and games cannot happen with social distancing, so it's up to the GAA to decide what they can do.

They specifically leagues can resume so they absolutely need to explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They specifically leagues can resume so they absolutely need to explain it

Here is the exact text from the website https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/acc4de-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-20-july-phase-4/
    gov.ie wrote:
    Competitions for sports teams (for example, soccer and GAA) can resume, but only where limitations are placed on the numbers of spectators and where social distancing can be maintained.

Yes its says competitions but one would imagine that the onus is on the sports body not on the government to determine how they can conduct their own competitions given the social distancing requirement.

What the government have published is not mandatory, just because they something can start back on a certain date does not mean it has to start back on that date.

Tod, it makes no sense. If they specifically mention the sport and that competitions can resume, then they need to justify how that is possible given they have stated social distancing e.g. 2 metres apart must be maintained.

You hardly think they are suggesting the GAA, FAI etc fundamentally change the rules of engagement for their sports so they are no longer contact sports?

The fact they don't have to return on the date is totally irrelevant by the way, they have stated they can and so need to justify how because nobody else seems to know and they are the ones issuing expert health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think they mean that clubs must enforce social distancing in relation to the crowds watching, not the players.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I think they mean that clubs must enforce social distancing in relation to the crowds watching, not the players.

That was my point. Maybe I'm giving the government too much credit but I'm sure the road map is based on scientific and medical advice. Restrictions will be eased gradually over the next few months and it will be possible to play a game of football in late July/August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I am pretty sure I heard the GAA say somewhere that they were going to clarify with the government regarding how they can social distance while play their games. I'd assume that responsibility will fall to the Covid group that the GAA have formed.

The contact nature of the sport is arguably less of an issue than dressing rooms. It is essentially impossible to social distance in a dressing room. For anybody accustomed to dressing rooms, they are usually pretty small and tight spaces. This would definitely go against social distancing. You could argue that players could arrive already togged out etc. But this is making the whole process very cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

That was my point. Maybe I'm giving the government too much credit but I'm sure the road map is based on scientific and medical advice. Restrictions will be eased gradually over the next few months and it will be possible to play a game of football in late July/August.

I think you're looking at one line of the road map in isolation to be honest.

Phase 4, the same phase under which the government says GAA can return, allows for "Slightly larger number of people may visit another household for a short period of time while maintaining social distancing".

So if I visit your house, I need to stand/sit two metres from you but if I'm a corner back and you're a corner forward I can stand closer.

I think people need to be realistic.

howiya wrote: »
    I think you're looking at one line of the road map in isolation to be honest.

Phase 4, the same phase under which the government says GAA can return, allows for "Slightly larger number of people may visit another household for a short period of time while maintaining social distancing".

So if I visit your house, I need to stand/sit two metres from you but if I'm a corner back and you're a corner forward I can stand closer.

I think people need to be realistic.

I'm saying this with no agenda, not demanding that we go back on July 20th or anything...I'm just questioning how they can state those two in the same phase of the plan?

Regardless of what inference we want to take from it, I think the reasonable thing is to ask the gov/NPHET to clarify what they were actually suggesting re sport in phase 4. Varadkar had even said himself we could see an all Ireland in August in September with no spectators the night it was released, so I'd say asking him how that works with social distancing is only reasonable.

It's really simple and I'm not sure what's confusing people. If you need ANY form of social distancing with people and spectators then you simply cant have a game go ahead as there is absolutely no chance to social distance in a match.

Training you could probably make it work, smaller groups, ball work and running only, no contact, arrive togged and must wear gloves throughout. But even that is opening up a can of worms itself.

Until they decide we have enough done that we can live alongside the virus while they work on a vaccine, I dont see non professional sport returning.

• Advertisement

It's really simple and I'm not sure what's confusing people. If you need ANY form of social distancing with people and spectators then you simply cant have a game go ahead as there is absolutely no chance to social distance in a match.

Training you could probably make it work, smaller groups, ball work and running only, no contact, arrive togged and must wear gloves throughout. But even that is opening up a can of worms itself.

Until they decide we have enough done that we can live alongside the virus while they work on a vaccine, I dont see non professional sport returning.

what about things that were allowed during the worst of the pandemic here, services allowed to run even though social distancing was impossible?

what about things that were allowed during the worst of the pandemic here, services allowed to run even though social distancing was impossible?

I dont know what you're referring to but this is specifically about gaa and covid. I actively avoid the covid forum because it invariably goes round like that. What about this that and the other. I'm sure you could ask that in the relevant forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's really simple and I'm not sure what's confusing people.

People might be looking at pro soccer resuming in other countries and not grasping that that (and it very much remains to be seen if it will actually work) very much depends on an extensive testing regime that would not be feasible for an amateur sport

People might be looking at pro soccer resuming in other countries and not grasping that that (and it very much remains to be seen if it will actually work) very much depends on an extensive testing regime that would not be feasible for an amateur sport

Yeah they would have the money and desire to have strict testing. Can also isolate players away from the world. Not possible with GAA lads.

I dont know what you're referring to but this is specifically about gaa and covid. I actively avoid the covid forum because it invariably goes round like that. What about this that and the other. I'm sure you could ask that in the relevant forum.

it is relevant to what we are talking about. the government were telling us to keep 2 metres away from people yet they allowed services to run as normal even though social distancing was impossible. they left it up to the service providers to decide themselves to keep working or not. maybe GAA players will just have to decide themselves if they want to play or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭kksaints

There's a possibility that the social distancing might be reduced from 2 metres to 1 meter in the later stages of the restrictions lifting. Its unlikely to help in the GAA case but it could help sports.

it is relevant to what we are talking about. the government were telling us to keep 2 metres away from people yet they allowed services to run as normal even though social distancing was impossible. they left it up to the service providers to decide themselves to keep working or not. maybe GAA players will just have to decide themselves if they want to play or not.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Look, we can talk around in circles about different scenarios and should haves but the bottom line is this.....the president of the GAA has publically announced that there will be nothing happening on the GAA front until October at the earliest, if at all. This has been decided at high levels and on medical advice and common sense.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Look, we can talk around in circles about different scenarios and should haves but the bottom line is this.....the president of the GAA has publically announced that there will be nothing happening on the GAA front until October at the earliest, if at all. This has been decided at high levels and on medical advice and common sense.

He did not say that at all

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote: »

That's the case for intercounty but as things stand, GAA clubs will open on 20th July and club competitions could begin shortly after. John Horan announced that last Sunday too.

Advertisement