Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

The GAA haven't decided anything, don't mind Galway bay FM spreading rumours yet again.

Haha, only a few weeks ago they were fully sure club would be back in June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

gp1990 wrote: »
    Only hope we have?

In terms of 'optimism' from what I've read I'd be far more hopeful of several treatments coming to market - and much quicker than a widely distributed functioning vaccine at that

Almost every resource in big Pharma right now is going into the Pandemic. You would be hopeful that this will lead to something sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Haha, only a few weeks ago they were fully sure club would be back in June :)

What else would you expect from a crowd of Matties!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0506/1136808-gaa-remain-committed-to-playing-championships-this-year/
    Source indicating to RTE that Championship to take place in September/October(I hope the link works)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The GAA haven't decided anything, don't mind Galway bay FM spreading rumours yet again.

Not too far off the mark.....;)

scrubs33 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0506/1136808-gaa-remain-committed-to-playing-championships-this-year/
    Source indicating to RTE that Championship to take place in September/October(I hope the link works)

No inter county football until October. As for club football, training might begin after July 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Not too far off the mark.....;)

No fair play to them, this time they were on the mark.

The GAA are letting the players down big time in my opinion here. No championship before October, and at that there would have to be considerable doubt about it taking place. only way it will happen is with no crowds, and apparent they didn't even discuss that.

Time they showed some leadership and considered players slaving away here with a carrot being dangled progressively further away from them, and inter county managers with proverbial hot pokers behind them coaxing them to stay committed. Totally unfair, if we cannot see it being played at this stage it's time to calll a spade a spade and postpone/cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

If the GAA Championship is played later this year its clear those at the top sound determined to have supporters at matches. Question I'd ask if there is a need to social distance in the stand/terrace then how is it safe for players to play a contact sport?

https://mobile.twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1258087132083732480

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You'd swear GAA was the only sport that was played in front of audience the way they apparently completely dismissed the prospect of playing behind closed doors.

How come professional sports leagues (Bundesliga looking to start in a couple of weeks time) with more money on the table and revenue on offer can accept the sacrifice of playing behind closed doors, while we can't even allow our club players back to train collectively until the end of July?

Nanny state at its finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You'd swear GAA was the only sport that was played in front of audience the way they apparently completely dismissed the prospect of playing behind closed doors.

How come professional sports leagues (Bundesliga looking to start in a couple of weeks time) with more money on the table and revenue on offer can accept the sacrifice of playing behind closed doors, while we can't even allow our club players back to train collectively until the end of July?

for plenty of pro sports the loss of gate revenue isnt as big a deal as its TV income that is what really matters. Not the same in gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭blowitupref

for plenty of pro sports the loss of gate revenue isnt as big a deal as its TV income that is what really matters. Not the same in gaa.
    True, also the majority of GAA players are working rather than fulltime athletes who can cocoon more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

For the simple reason that there is more money on the table.

Professional sports need to get back playing in some shape or form for in order to pay players and other costs, GAA have no such obligation.

GAA players are also under no obligation to play, whereas professional sports people are based on their contracts.

You just cannot compare the GAA to something like the Bundesliga.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Would be interesting to see the GAAs official line on this if true. Why have they deviated from the government's 'roadmap' and why so soon? It's hardly as if county players are even training anyway or need to be paid, what exactly are they gaining by making such calls right now during the peak of the pandemic when there's so little information out there on the virus?

What if by August there are treatments in circulation, if we discover that outdoor sports basically produce 0% transmission, if the virus has been in Ireland a lot longer than thought and that many of the population have immunity or whatever?

Would be a bit odd to have schools open, offices back to normal, all other sports in full swing but the GAA holding out for some vaccine that might never come or this thing to disappear completely - which means we may see championship again in 2025 if we're lucky

I completely agree that at present gaa should not be played but even August is ages away yet.
    Agree with all of this. There is a big gap between the government road map and the GAA dates (October). Nobody knows for sure yet who will be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Agree with all of this. There is a big gap between the government road map and the GAA dates (October). Nobody knows for sure yet who will be more accurate.

The problem is that you cant just ask teams to suddenly start playing. A lot of preparation goes into these teams in the lead up to games. Also, as alluded to in earlier posts, these are guys with full time jobs who need to plan things out. I would think the October date is to allow a lead in time for the games and have teams training. Th actual date of teams going back training would align far more closely to the government date. The GAA has arguably more obstacles here than most sports because of their amateur status.

No inter county football until October. As for club football, training might begin after July 20th.

What about inter county hurling and club hurling? ;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

What about inter county hurling and club hurling? ;-P

Includes no hurling also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I've written this year off completely as far as GAA is concerned. My hopes disintegrated about a month ago. It was time to mentally prepare for the worst. I'd take GAA action in 2021 at this stage. All this clinging on for hope of a few games in Oct - Dec is only tormenting oneself. It's game over lads. 2020 is over. Forget about it.

The problem is that you cant just ask teams to suddenly start playing. A lot of preparation goes into these teams in the lead up to games. Also, as alluded to in earlier posts, these are guys with full time jobs who need to plan things out. I would think the October date is to allow a lead in time for the games and have teams training. Th actual date of teams going back training would align far more closely to the government date. The GAA has arguably more obstacles here than most sports because of their amateur status.
    I agree, there is a lot of build up to playing sports matches. In the GAAs case, with the amount of volunteering needed, this will prove difficult imo. But the government roadmap has matches behind closed doors to begin at the end of June. End of June to October is over 3 months, I don't think the GAA need that long for pre season training - they might want it, but if they do they should postpone/cancel the 2020 season really.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

I agree, there is a lot of build up to playing sports matches. In the GAAs case, with the amount of volunteering needed, this will prove difficult imo. But the government roadmap has matches behind closed doors to begin at the end of June. End of June to October is over 3 months, I don't think the GAA need that long for pre season training - they might want it, but if they do they should postpone/cancel the 2020 season really.

They’ve said they hope to run off club games first. So if you say clubs go back training in June, run off club championship July to September then I would think October is the best case scenario.

I can’t see anything going ahead this year. It would seem crazy to hold club games across the country when people are still meant to be social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭rrs

The French and Dutch Leagues are cancelled till September at the earliest.. And that's professional, so GAA club football is highly unlikely to happen. County in October was more a hope then realistic view. A GP said last night to Matt Cooper no GAA for a long time.
    No guarantee schools will reopen in September

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gp1990

I think its clear we won't be seeing any GAA this year. October is not in line with the government roadmap (and they've also gone against the roadmap in terms of allowing teams back doing even small training) so no idea where they're plucking October out of - its certainly not based on medical advice and/or analytical forecasts - so the answer is most likely thin air.

Many of the noises coming from GAA stakeholders being interviewed (yes I understand some can't say anything different for PR purposes) is about a "vaccine" and the "virus dying out" and so on, before a return.

As I've said the sentiment is admirable but as we've seen with countries re-opening and roadmaps being produced life in general does have to go on in the meantime, or else we may have to stay in our houses for at least a few years. An amateur sport like GAA is interesting though

Many in the GAA do seem very insistent that social distancing = no GAA. However in the next few months we are likely to see some treatments coming to market, a large reduction in cases nationwide, far more reliable data on outdoor transmission, and more information on how many have been infected to date (Leo has come out today and also reinforced what many of us have been thinking all along by speculating himself that this thing has been in Ireland since January at the latest) and on immunity rates and levels. Will any of this be enough for the GAA to give go ahead or is it no vaccine no play regardless?

If a championship doesn't go ahead in October when we will know so much more about this virus, I don't see one going ahead in 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

[QUOTE=Chalk McHugh;113367398 All this clinging on for hope of a few games in Oct - Dec is only tormenting oneself. I[/QUOTE]

What sort of 'championship' could you play in that timeframe anyway?:confused:

It doesnt necessarily have to be a championship in October. Finish the league instead to give some much needed matches to everybody. A league final under lights in November could be brilliant. Then back in January for a fresh start for everything in 2021!

What sort of 'championship' could you play in that timeframe anyway?:confused:

League? Championship? Club? Challenge matches? You name it i've given up on it. 2020 is done and dusted. It's my own way of mentally trying to deal with it. It's the hope that was killing me.

It doesnt necessarily have to be a championship in October. Finish the league instead to give some much needed matches to everybody. A league final under lights in November could be brilliant. Then back in January for a fresh start for everything in 2021!
    That was my initial thought too, but not every team is still in the league. It'd be a bit to unfair to let some counties play before the end of 2020, and make others wait until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

League? Championship? Club? Challenge matches? You name it i've given up on it. 2020 is done and dusted. It's my own way of mentally trying to deal with it. It's the hope that was killing me.

Nice to see you come round to some rational thought Chalky. I was surprised you clung onto the hope for so long tbh. As you said, it's the hope that kills ya.

That was my initial thought too, but not every team is still in the league. It'd be a bit to unfair to let some counties play before the end of 2020, and make others wait until next year.

Almost every team has something to play for in the league???

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nice to see you come round to some rational thought Chalky. I was surprised you clung onto the hope for so long tbh. As you said, it's the hope that kills ya.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

The GAA are going to regret their decision. Association football will be back all over the world (behind closed doors). The Germans lead the way. Rugby expect to be back playing...and that's club rugby. The GAA think they are some sort of 'game of the peope' yet are ducking out of playing. I dont care if they are amature. Get a good testing process going and play on.Its ludicrous and cowardly to think theyve ruled out sport in June,July ,Aug and Sept. This Covid will be around for years.. are they going to write off 2021. I'm a medical professional. If your not fat or have multiple co morbidities ,the chances of you dying are very very slim.

Advertisement