Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The only way comparing our current situation to the UK during WW2 would be accurate or fair would be if the UK government had ordered everyone into bunkers for a number of years, for the duration of the war.
    As far as I’m aware they didn’t shut down any industries, stop people from going to work and they didn’t crash their economy.
    They instead put measures in place to protect their citizens when things were at its most dangerous, and went about life with some bit of normality the rest of the time.
    Hardly comparable to our situation, where everyone has basically been hiding in the bunkers since early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It would be if he was remotely transparent. The "as low as possible" quote showed him for what he is

"As low as possible."..?

You'll have to refresh my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

Can I ask people here defending NPHET and Tony Holohan - why are they given absolute power over us? They are unelected, unanswerable to us as voters and don’t care about anything other than covering themselves, I’ve lost respect for the people in charge.
    Who is defending NPHET?
    Why do you say they are given power? they give advice to the government that's different than power.
    Data shows we should be re-opening yesterday not in August.
    What data are you talking about and does it include future trends and risks if we re-open now??

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

It would be if he was remotely transparent. The "as low as possible" quote showed him for what he is

The weak government have left this man with way too much responsibility of the situation and their happy to sit on their hands and hide behind Dr Tony’s decisions.

Dr Tony’s looking at this from medical point of view only and he knows that he will be the scapegoat if things go wrong.

The government are too weak and afraid to make a decision and Dr Tony’s more or less being told to make the decisions as the CMO of our country

He’s making the decisions for them but in a way that he won’t be responsible either hence the three month roadmap for a relatively straight forward job of reopening the country.

Effectively what we have here is a stand off and the consequences are the destruction of our country.

Sad sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,307 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Arghus wrote: »
    "As low as possible."..?

You'll have to refresh my memory.

You were incredibly quick to jump to his defense without knowing what kinda character he has shown himself to be

• Advertisement

You were incredibly quick to jump to his defense without knowing what kinda character he has shown himself to be

Well, maybe I can make a more informed judgement if I can know the quote to which you are referring to. I'd really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We were called in for a meeting today to be told half the employees were going to lose their jobs, there are a lot of good friends and colleagues of mine facing an uncertain future this evening.

Unfortunately we will see a lot more of this around the country as the Government is just turning a blind eye to the economic impact of this extended lockdown.

Sorry to hear that. What industry are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

The weak government have left this man with way too much responsibility of the situation and their happy to sit on their hands and hide behind Dr Tony’s decisions.

Dr Tony’s looking at this from medical point of view only and he knows that he will be the scapegoat if things go wrong.

The government are too weak and afraid to make a decision and Dr Tony’s more or less being told to make the decisions as the CMO of our country

He’s making the decisions for them but in a way that he won’t be responsible either hence the three month roadmap for a relatively straight forward job of reopening the country.

Effectively what we have here is a stand off and the consequences are the destruction of our country.

Sad sad times.

This would be your expert opinion of course, yes? You've reviewed what literature is available and studied the data?

Or are you talking out your hoop?

Edit. Just to add. Seeing as you've made your very informed opinion on the situation. You might also enlighten us as to how we would fare if we were to suddenly remove the restrictions only to see an increase in deaths and then have to roll back again. Do you know what that might do for the economy? Did you think about how many times worse it will be if we have to go back to square one?

Well, maybe I can make a more informed judgement if I can know the quote to which you are referring to. I'd really appreciate it.

In a press conference he alluded to ICU numbers before speaking about extending restrictions, a journalist asked him a direct question about how low he wanted the ICU numbers to be, at that Tony responded "as low as possible".
    That is a disgraceful answer from a guy who has Ireland in an economic strangle hold.
    Coupled with a refusal to publish NPHET (Of which he is the chair of course) meeting minutes, this guy has been given total control with zero accountability, to a nation who are happy to be spanked as he speaks of an increase of traffic movement determined by seismic activity. Thus a lack of compliance.
    Given his previous issue with transparency I wouldn't be happy with his completely unchallenged decision making until late August at very best.

deisedevil wrote: »
    This would be your expert opinion of course, yes? You've reviewed what literature is available and studied the data?

Edit. Just to add. Seeing as you've made your very informed opinion on the situation. You might also enlighten us as to how we would fare if we were to suddenly remove the restrictions only to see an increase in deaths and then have to roll back again. Do you know what that might do for the economy? Did you think about how many times worse it will be if we have to go back to square one?

Here we go again, lads going back to work dropping dead seemingly.
    Lets not let have facts influence posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Reading the list of regulations which employers are expected to adhere to in order to reopen, I have never felt more like leaving this country.
    It is like they are determined to annihilate businesses. The civil servants are out of control and no one will say anything in case of a twitter backlash.

So the CMO, when asked about how low he wanted ICU admissions to be,said he wanted them to be as low as possible?

That's it? How does that show him to be a disgrace? He wants the least amount of seriously people in ICU? That's a sensible opinion.

I don't see any problem whatsoever with that.

hamburgham wrote: »
    Reading the list of regulations which employers are expected to adhere to in order to reopen, I have never felt more like leaving this country.
    It is like they are determined to annihilate businesses. The civil servants are out of control and no one will say anything in case of a twitter backlash.

Yep. I think its ironic that Italy is more relaxed than us in 3 weeks time. In fact months ahead by then. Heads will have to roll here

Here we go again, lads going back to work dropping dead seemingly.
    Lets not let have facts influence posts

Most lads going back to work will be grand. They'll get it and start to spread it. Some of those they spread it to won't be grand.

Let's not let have facts what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

So the CMO, when asked about how low he wanted ICU admissions to be,said he wanted them to be as low as possible?

That's it? How does that show him to be a disgrace? He wants the least amount of seriously people in ICU? That's a sensible opinion.

Well it's a bit needlessly vague isn't it? As low as possible could mean 100 or 3 depending on your interpretation

If the country is entering an economic depression and people are imprisoned in homes, they deserve stats not bulls##t.
    As low as possible may suit some who crave protection from Covid and believe Tony is the saviour.

Most lads going back to work will be grand. They'll get it and start to spread it. Some of those they spread it to won't be grand.

Right so what's your master plan then, hole up until there's a vaccine? See you in 12-18 months so.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well it's a bit needlessly vague isn't it? As low as possible could mean 100 or 3 depending on your interpretation

It means he fcuked up again and wants to deflect blame for lack of testing ability and the care/nursing home scandal

Anyone fit to do a days work will die of other causes long before Covid.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXgt8CtX0AE2SiZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Last week I would have said reopening should be based 50% on health reasons and 50% on economic reasons.

This week I reckon it should be based 99% on economic reasons.

Its obvious this illness largely affects those who were already on deaths door. Mainly elderly with chronic underlying conditions.

Destroying our economy on that basis is insanity.
    https://youtu.be/XW-nmhWKd1M

• Advertisement

Right so what's your master plan then, hole up until there's a vaccine? See you in 12-18 months so.

If anyone takes a vaccine after only 18 months of trials they might lay an egg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re the ICU numbers, does anyone know if the stats provided for ICU cases relate solely to Covid patients? Probably does, but there are, and always will be patients in ICU for other reasons too. Just wondered.

Betty the media is full of doctors just waiting for their minute of fame during this.
    Check out Dr Marcus Brun, Simon Harris appointed him to the Irish Medical Council. Very interesting guy

Anyone fit to do a days work will die of other causes long before Covid.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXgt8CtX0AE2SiZ.jpg

I'm not concerned personally that I'll die of Covid, but I'd be concerned about helping to spread it to other people who might become seriously ill or worse because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

There is no data needed to see what’s happening in front of your eyes.

Have you seen Leo Varadkar make a decision in the last 8 weeks ? I haven’t

Simon Harris an absolute joke

I’ve listened to some well written speeches poorly delivered by Leo our leader

I’ve heard Dr Holohan being overly cautious on every daily briefing even when the targeted numbers have long since been met and surpassed.

It’s clear to see it’s a stand off at the cost of economic destruction.

We have no leadership.

We have to remove the restrictions and quickly.

We won’t be going back to square one as we’ve surpressed the virus in the community.

Have you a great plan that you might share?

Everyone stay hidden in their living room and wait for a vaccine that may never arrive or a magic number of zero cases?

What would you in your great wisdom think that might do for our economy??

I’d rather fight and die than be a coward and hide.

I don't have a master plan. That's why I'm not spouting complete and utter shíte and acting like I know it all. That's why I'm willing to go along with those who are some of the most intelligent people in this country, that are taking advice from some of the most intelligent people in the world.

It's hilarious reading the comments of ordinary Joe Soaps who think they know better than our best minds when some of them haven't lifted a book since they read Ann & Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What’s your solution? Continue lockdown indefinitely until we have a vaccination? No one is allowed go back to work until we have a cure?

This situation is completely unsustainable and people are rightly wondering when they’re going to be allowed to earn a living again.
    The €350 a week payment isn’t going to last forever and the longer people are out of work, the less likely the chance of them having a job to go back to is.
    The economy is in a chokehold while Tony H bleats on about 2 more weeks, as if two more weeks is going to kill off the virus but the virus is going nowhere. We need to learn to live alongside it.
    This is the new normal and we need to adapt to it, sooner rather than later.

We need to protect the elderly and vulnerable by cocooning them & supporting them in any way we can, and allow the young healthy majority of the population go back to work.
    What were supposed to be temporary layoffs are turning into permanent ones as the days go on.
    This simply cannot continue. This is going to cost as many lives, if not more than covid-19 in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Re the ICU numbers, does anyone know if the stats provided for ICU cases relate solely to Covid patients? Probably does, but there are, and always will be patients in ICU for other reasons too. Just wondered.

Solely covid. More patients in ICU with other illnesses than with COVID. HSE stats for Friday not released tonight, presume it'll be morning.

I don't have a master plan. That's why I'm not spouting complete and utter shíte and acting like I know it all. That's why I'm willing to go along with those who are some of the most intelligent people in this country, that are taking advice from some of the most intelligent people in the world.

It's hilarious reading the comments of ordinary Joe Soaps who think they know better than our best minds when some of them haven't lifted a book since they read Ann & Barry.

So we should shut up and leave it to our betters then? I guess you'll still be doffing your cap when you get sacked so.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    What’s your solution? Continue lockdown indefinitely until we have a vaccination? No one is allowed go back to work until we have a cure?

This situation is completely unsustainable and people are rightly wondering when they’re going to be allowed to earn a living again.
    The €350 a week payment isn’t going to last forever and the longer people are out of work, the less likely the chance of them having a job to go back to is.
    The economy is in a chokehold while Tony H bleats on about 2 more weeks, as if two more weeks is going to kill off the virus but the virus is going nowhere. We need to learn to live alongside it.
    This is the new normal and we need to adapt to it, sooner rather than later.

We need to protect the elderly and vulnerable by cocooning them & supporting them in any way we can, and allow the young healthy majority of the population go back to work.
    What were supposed to be temporary layoffs are turning into permanent ones as the days go on.
    This simply cannot continue. This is going to cost as many lives, if not more than covid-19 in the long run.

When did the government or Tony H say continue lockdown until there is a vaccine? Your being over dramatic. Rabble rabble rabble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement