Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Conqueror wrote: »
    ClareGal works for the HSE, a public service body. This competition is for the civil service, a separate entity, and she is as entitled to enter it as you are. She hasn't "blocked" you from a full time position, and it is isn't her fault you didn't get as high a mark as she did.

Now where did I say I didn't get a high mark.

As someone who has been through the public jobs process a few times in the many campaigns both full time and TCO it really is baffling just how theses things are run. Firstly the many stages that campaigns go through, ie, the online questionnaires or the "aptitude tests which are widely debunked as an accurate means of determining anything, are really only a pc way for the public jobs people to cull off applicants. The private sector does this by taking a pile of applications at random and firing them in the bin.

Firstly having heard the aptitude tests weren't going ahead this year I was glad I applied for this campaign. I really doubt the relevance of the aptitude test because as a TCO Ive never seen anyone in any full time position, in the revenue or anywhere else, doing 30 vat calculations in under a minute and I know getting a high score in the error checking and your english language handling abilities is more important as a CO than how quickly you can bash buttons on a calculator. Also consistently coming in the top 50 in the order of merit in numerous online questioners for TCO campaigns, which are exactly the same questions as in the CO version, I thought I was in with a good chance, no because it's a total lottery.

There are several reasons why the process takes as long as a snail reversing back a forward moving conveyor belt but one of them must be that they take several months to move goalposts especially since the results of these questionnaires and aptitude tests, all of which are on digital format, are most likely calculated on the day or within a few days.
    Hi guys, I am a little bit stressed right now I've been laid off from my job due to covid -19 and the future of the business where I'm employed is very uncertain. I applied for this gig, I'm ranked 367 for Galway my score was 5837 and I ranked 309 for westmeath, I am pretty new to these competitions, should I give up hope on being called for an interview? :( Thanks guys, best of luck to all x

There a good chance you could be called but Id keep breathing in the mean time

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

People need to have realistic expectations here. I believe half the civil service is in Dublin and the other half is spread out across the other 25 counties. Some counties would only have a small civil service presence and because of that there wouldn't be a great deal of jobs going in regional locations. People should by all means apply but definitely don't be counting on it. You might hear back in 2 years time, you might not hear back at all.

finla wrote: »
    I was top 5 last year and now 206, I thought it was strange also, a mate of mine is the same, top 5 last year and 300s now. We both put the same answers as last time. Is there a massive increase in applications? Or have they changed the way they score it.
    Weird.

Ranking people on the basis of that questionnaire is like predicting the price of cabbage in ten years. Of course they've changed the scoring parameters because they cant arbitrarily cull people now that the "aptitude" test is not part of this campaign. Bear in mind that the results of the COMPUTER based questionnaire were probably calculated straight after you clicked submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Samsgirl wrote: »
    I placed 5th in my chosen county in 2018 and 219 this time. Very strange.

For both my counties. Comparing my oom to 2018 I was within 2 places in both counties this time!. What are the chances of that!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Conqueror

Now where did I say I didn't get a high mark.
    You didn't, nor did I say you didn't get a high mark. But if you sarcastically thank someone for blocking you from getting a full time position, then it stands to reason that you probably didn't get as high a mark as they did. If you had a higher mark, they would be below you in the order of merit and you wouldn't need to worry about them also getting a post in this competition.

Having gone through previous competitions, I know there are a lot of people who are understandably anxious about how they will do in this competition, and a lot of uncertainty as to whether they will get a job or even an interview. You may be one of those people. What doesn't help is being unnecessarily sarcastic towards someone who has the right to also enter the competition but who happens to have a full time job somewhere else.

I'm going to leave it there, because sniping back and forth goes against what I think is the spirit of this thread, which is to give support and encouragement to people who are looking to start a new career. I wish you good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

Got 6466 out of 8000. Placed 39 in oom Wexford. Would anyone in the know thinks it looks positive for me.

That's a great score....I'm also in Wexford and got placed 95 and 97 for Waterford as my second choice.

Best of luck..:)

Did anyone notice that the booklet says there wont be anyone used off this panel after May 2021?

Yes I noticed that...seems like its only a year long panel for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

pjcpolly wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that...seems like its only a year long panel for a change!

Why would they change that, wasnt the booklet issued before covid??

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Got 67 in Wicklow and 147 in Kildare. Not too bad. Thousands of people won't continue in the competition after that stage anyway. And the interview will help people jump up places. The questionnaire is pointless in my opinion. People can apply and do it with friends family etc. People also will just say what they know the civil service want to hear.

I went for temporary one and could not believe the interview has no affect ok placings. At least this one does. It's a certainly there are better people for the role placed lower than than others who would not do as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 murphy15

laoisgem wrote: »
    My daughter got results for Laois/Offaly. Into the 500's so not looking good, although she was in the top 30 for TCO, it's baffling tbh
    a lot of COs already employed apply because its easier way to get transferred than mobility only 1 in every 3 jobs go via mobility, and any1 that has less than 2 years service.. I know 20 plus in my offices in Dublin who have applied aiming to get out of Dublin with high rents/ travel etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

pjcpolly wrote: »
    That's a great score....I'm also in Wexford and got placed 95 and 97 for Waterford as my second choice.

Best of luck..:)
    Waterford my second choice as well. Placed 51st. Hopefully I'll see you at the Christmas party. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Can your position on the OOM go down (e.g go from 10th to 100th) after doing the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 murphy15

Can your position on the OOM go down (e.g go from 10th to 100th) after doing the interview?
    Yes that's what should happen to me, they'll be reasons people will drop out, ie, can make interview date, too low of a wage, get a job in the meantime, and if you have good example and use STAR technique your OOM can move by Hundreds !

Waterford my second choice as well. Placed 51st. Hopefully I'll see you at the Christmas party. Best of luck

And the same to you....it's a waiting game for now.

Why would they change that, wasnt the booklet issued before covid??

I heard they are trying to cut down on wait times etc and possibly just a new way of doing things now. Might be the same for other competitions from now on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Rubenski

Hi guys. I got early 60s for Kerry. First time doing this so am not too sure if I should be optimistic or not, especially since the panel is only until May 2021 this time.

Can I ask if my chances look good (somewhat!!)?? Pretty nervous about this whole thing.

Thanks.

Conqueror wrote: »
    You didn't, nor did I say you didn't get a high mark. But if you sarcastically thank someone for blocking you from getting a full time position, then it stands to reason that you probably didn't get as high a mark as they did. If you had a higher mark, they would be below you in the order of merit and you wouldn't need to worry about them also getting a post in this competition.

Having gone through previous competitions, I know there are a lot of people who are understandably anxious about how they will do in this competition, and a lot of uncertainty as to whether they will get a job or even an interview. You may be one of those people. What doesn't help is being unnecessarily sarcastic towards someone who has the right to also enter the competition but who happens to have a full time job somewhere else.

I'm going to leave it there, because sniping back and forth goes against what I think is the spirit of this thread, which is to give support and encouragement to people who are looking to start a new career. I wish you good luck.

The spirit of this thread is one of people getting very despondent wondering how some ranking system which was determined on the back of a cigarette packet says they are somehow worthless. I'm also looking to start a new career now that I have none thanks to covid and yes I did go off half cocked with the original comment but I know there are plenty COs in the civil service that use these campaigns to move sideways.

Do I think thats fair on everyone who does not have a guarantee of employment with some trimmings no because they are already in the system and there are proper internal procedures to do that.

Is it COs fault the system is an ass, and you most know that it is having been through several campaigns, or that the cost of living in Dublin is ridiculous, no but from my point of view its like being blocked from watching a match by the spectators who are already inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 camki

The spirit of this thread is one of people getting very despondent wondering how some ranking system which was determined on the back of a cigarette packet says they are somehow worthless. I'm also looking to start a new career now that I have none thanks to covid and yes I did go off half cocked with the original comment but I know there are plenty COs in the civil service that use these campaigns to move sideways.

Do I think thats fair on everyone who does not have a guarantee of employment with some trimmings no because they are already in the system and there are proper internal procedures to do that.

Is it COs fault the system is an ass, and you most know that it is having been through several campaigns, or that the cost of living in Dublin is ridiculous, no but from my point of view its like being blocked from watching a match by the spectators who are already inside.

It's a competition, everyone is entitled to apply. May the best person win. You have just a good of chance as anyone. This is only one job that people apply for. I think there will be many opportunities in the private sector when all this blows over. Keep applying for any admin roles you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭Augme

Clerical officer competitions have been running for the last 6 years. Had plenty of chances to become a clerical officer. Instead you wait until you job goes tits up and then whinge when you aren't give a job straight away. Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭nhg

Did anyone notice that the booklet says there wont be anyone used off this panel after May 2021?

Yes, I saw that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ya you have enough cynicism built up to know that these campaigns are manly run to give full timers work to do and the stages have no basis in reality.

Dunno where you've worked, but TCO 's in our building are eagerly anticipated.
    The 3 summer months sees a number of EO's and CO's and a couple of HEO's taking Term Time, and the TCO's are a great help on keeping on top of stuff.
    The 3 we had last summer were great, fast learners, sensible and well able to get on with things.
    They were missed when they went.
    One has got in full time as a CO in another county, one got a job offer in their Degree field, and one went back to teaching primary in another country in September.
    Unless you work in Chapter House, the running of these comps has no effect on your work load ...

And what matter if someone "moves sideways"?
    Up, down, sideways or retire , there's a gap somewhere must be filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The 3 summer months sees a number of EO's and CO's and a couple of HEO's taking Term Time, and the TCO's are a great help on keeping on top of stuff.
    The 3 we had last summer were great, fast learners, sensible and well able to get on with things.
    One has got in full time as a CO in another county, one got a job offer in their Degree field, and one went back to teaching primary in another country in September.
    Unless you work in Chapter House, the running of these comps has no effect on your work load ...

I never knew that TCO’s were kept on. That’s pretty interesting! That’s the reason I never applied for that competition.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

job seeker wrote: »
    I never knew that TCO’s were kept on. That’s pretty interesting! That’s the reason I never applied for that competition.

Keep in mind that TCO would have to have gone through the permanent competition for that to happen as well. A TCO can't be kept indefinitely on a TCO contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ladz

job seeker wrote: »

They're not just kept on, he/she must have also been on a permanent competition panel & got called.

Augme wrote: »
    Clerical officer competitions have been running for the last 6 years. Had plenty of chances to become a clerical officer. Instead you wait until you job goes tits up and then whinge when you aren't give a job straight away. Please.

No lad Ive been a TCO for a number of years now and Im just disillusioned with the scratch card process especially when I see incompetent full timers that would have gone through the same processes.

Exactly, Chapter house

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Trampus

Hi all. Well done to everyone who has placed. O got order of merit of 9 for Louth. I know they have two large offices. Between Covid and the fact that things move fairly slowly in the Civil Service, do you think I will have to wait long for an interview (if I get called at all 😬😬)

I’ve gotten many signatures on my going away cards but the fact that I’ve proven myself across many different departments means nothing when met be this process.

• Advertisement

Listen I’ve gotten many signatures on my going away cards I’m not commenting about people in departments but the fact that I’ve proven myself across many different departments means nothing when met be this process ie the competition which to me is as valid to real life in the civil service as a sketch of a stick man on the back of a cigarette pack.

Advertisement