Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Did anyone get any results for Laois & Offaly?

My daughter got results for Laois/Offaly. Into the 500's so not looking good, although she was in the top 30 for TCO, it's baffling tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Tipperary

I got tipperary 1st this evening & it was my 2nd choice so not sure why you wouldnt have got it but would contact them tomorrow if you hear nothing good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

laoisgem wrote: »
    My daughter got results for Laois/Offaly. Into the 500's so not looking good, although she was in the top 30 for TCO, it's baffling tbh

TCO is good to get, the experience will be invaluable in interviews later.
    A working knowledge of SAP (if her department uses it) is great to have as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

My wife got number 1 for Laois and Kildare. However she was no 13 on EO for Laois well over a year now and still did not get called for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

fergald wrote: »
    My wife got number 1 for Laois and Kildare. However she was no 13 on EO for Laois well over a year now and still did not get called for interview.

That's amazing well done to your wife, I hope she gets a call soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭fergald

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭JacenSolo

1670 in Dublin... I won't pop champagne corks. I know someone from the last time who was around the 1400s and they waited 6 months for an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

TTT8 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten Louth or Meath ?

I got 400s for both. Not holding out much hope on getting a job as I am fairly down on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

laoisgem wrote: »

Not baffling at all.

The score is not about how good you are. It's about where you stand relative to other candidates who applied for this competition, in this location.

Only PAS know what the ranking is done on. Obviously the questionnaire. But what else they take into account, eg work-experience (it is good or bad to have some), other software you've used, qualifications, previous TCO experience, previous CO experience.

Non-Dublin counties will likely have candidates with substantial CO experience who want to move closer to home. These people won't be in the TCO competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I suppose, we are where we are now. Cannt change our panel number. Just move on until the phone rings, be it in a month or a year or longer. Keep the bright side out and get on with things !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Is there a way of finding out how many applied for each county?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tracy Mc

I got feedback today, 647 in County Dublin and 70 in Wicklow whats my chances of being called ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Tracy Mc wrote: »
    I got feedback today, 647 in County Dublin and 70 in Wicklow whats my chances of being called ?

I think about half the civil service is based in Dublin so chances are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wexford awake

I know people who usually got in the Top 5 in the previous campaign in their County and now they're well in the late 400s. This is not Dublin so rather rather baffling. However I think that PAS know no one is going to be recruited from this. It's rather strange that next stage is interview. No aptitude stage. When you look at the fact that the Country and indeed the rest of the world are heading in to a great depression then I can't see how this campaign will be finalised. The Civil Service is always the first to take a hit in bad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭CivilCybil

Thanks very much for your reply. Has this been officially said somewhere do you know?

It says on the results email
    "Candidates will be contacted regarding Stage 2- Interview as vacancies arise in accordance with their order of merit. Please note that candidates will only be invited to sit Stage 2- Interview once, irrespective of the location choices applied for."

• Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Can you ask for feedback on the questionnaire?
    I got 270 Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TTT8

I got 400s for both. Not holding out much hope on getting a job as I am fairly down on the list

I didn’t do much better in the 300s, bare in mind though that most people who apply for Meath apply for Louth aswell so they are on both panels so your 400 could be more like 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Linking123!

Probably not I'm afraid. On the last campaign 2018 I ranked just outside the top 200 after stage 1 for Kildare. Got called for stage 2 a year later and an interview shortly after that. After my interview last September there was only approx 25 people ahead of me to get a job. At the start of March there was still about 10 people in front of me. It was slow moving. As far as I'm aware they only interviewed approx the first 300. Campaign basically expired before I was called. This time around I'm top 100 for Dublin and top 30 for Kildare so it's looking better this time.
    CO 2018 haven't expired yet, I'm in top 10, getting anxious now..so close!! I did way better in this one within 120-130 for Louth/Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭xxsammyxx085

Did anyone notice that the booklet says there wont be anyone used off this panel after May 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Hi i got 947 for Westmeath what are my chances of an Interview
    and also just over 1000 for Galway

In 2018 I was in the 240s and never heard another thing from the westmeath panel even though I got through the interview etc for Offaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Did anyone get any results for Laois & Offaly?

I got results for Offaly about 6pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

CO 2018 haven't expired yet, I'm in top 10, getting anxious now..so close!! I did way better in this one within 120-130 for Louth/Meath.
    I was number 4 in my area in 2014, 2 in 2016, currently 1 in the 2018 panel yet here I am ranked 200 for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Linking123!

I was number 4 in my area in 2014, 2 in 2016, currently 1 in the 2018 panel yet here I am ranked 200 for 2020.

Well I hope you get something on co 2018 what counties do you have? I was 300+ in co 2018 Louth/ Meath and waiting 2 years and a very slim chance getting it lol. Meath panel haven't moved for at least 2 months. So placed 120+ this time could potentially be placed in 1 year based on panel 2018?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ALBxxxxxx

Did anyone notice that the booklet says there wont be anyone used off this panel after May 2021?

Yes, I noticed this too. Seems panel will expire in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Just in reference to changing ranks and all that...

When I left college initially I thought it was a very good idea to scope out the civil service, applied for lots of the competitions at all different levels. Put in some serious effort too, not messing around, actually studied quite intensively in the run up to different stages. I still get notifications of jobs of course and with a whole lot of extra time at present I thought I'd give these exams a bash for "old times sake" :P

Heres my takeaway on quite a bit of experience with these exams...

1) As soon as any of the "rank this question/response" type of stuff comes up you may as well buy a lotto ticket. It is essentially random outside the very few completely obvious questions.

"You fall into a vat of boiling oil, would you....
    A) email your supervisor, even though he is dead
    B) email some random supervisor in Limerick
    C) Apply for a scholarship

Yeah, you can argue theres some reasoning to them, but the correct answers are so nebulous as to be near random. And considering one or two questions can make a difference of hundreds of places in the ranking...

2) The math and logic based exams are very fair and it is worth practicing material beforehand. However, there are so few questions compared to the amount of people doing them, again, one or two extra incorrect answers is enough to obliterate your chances.

3) The entire process of these campaigns often take vast amounts of time. You could well be waiting over a year to get anywhere.

4) *take with a pinch of salt* I had strong reasons in the past to believe that a bunch of people were getting specific "advice" on what to answer in the questionnaires and such from people in the know, cough cough applicants of family members working in certain areas :P

Its amusing to see that the process is just as random as ever having gotten the results from these exams. I have been at the very top and very bottom of these campaigns, with no difference in effort.

To sum up, ESPECIALLY for those just starting to look into these civil service type campaigns, whatever you do, do not have any sort of reliance on these jobs coming up. You could say the same thing about any job, but these are several magnitudes lower in terms of chances of success.

Apply for them when they come up, put in an effort, immediately forget about them and treat them as lottery tickets and not proper job applications, and don't be shocked when you place 1st or 7000th.

It was the fella above that said he's awful dismayed about the result and not sure what to do next that struck me. I remember having similar feelings! Well, if you didn't win the lottery you wouldn't feel let down, and that's the right attitude to bring to these things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Not baffling at all.

The score is not about how good you are. It's about where you stand relative to other candidates who applied for this competition, in this location.

Only PAS know what the ranking is done on. Obviously the questionnaire. But what else they take into account, eg work-experience (it is good or bad to have some), other software you've used, qualifications, previous TCO experience, previous CO experience.

Non-Dublin counties will likely have candidates with substantial CO experience who want to move closer to home. These people won't be in the TCO competitions.

We didn't submit an application form at this stage so I think the ranking is a bit of a mess. Other than an abstract responses, they have limited information on our Education / Work Experience.

Its possible some maybe eliminated based on their application forms before interview like a shortlisting process.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mandik

ellieh1 wrote: »
    Tipperary

I got results for Tipp. That was my second choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

Yes I believe it's still open but I have lost hope of being called at this stage. But you never know....might give them a call to see if there has been any further movement on the 2018 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Missyst

538 OOM for Limerick. Reckon that’s me done

I was over 1100 from the 2018 panel and got offered a position in Limerick so I wouldn’t worry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 positivepenny

Missyst wrote: »
    I was over 1100 from the 2018 panel and got offered a position in Limerick so I wouldn’t worry :)

What dept did you get? Are there any jobs coming up there do you know?

Advertisement