Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Zetor19 wrote: »
    I mean after the 5th of May obviously.

Why do you think that date means anything? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

We ignore this over hyped flu and get back to normal . Why what do you think Is going to happen let’s say next March, what will change? The way Leo Simon and tony are going people will die of old age before the virus works through the population . Not to mention the state of the economy by then.

We ignore this over hyped flu and get back to normal . Why what do you think Is going to happen let’s say next March, what will change? The way Leo Simon and tony are going people will die of old age before the virus works through the population . Not to mention the state of the economy by then.

1. you want to ignore the biggest public health threat in a century?? 2. ignoring it will not bring us back to normal, it will lead to absolute disaster, 3. i dont know what will happen next March, nobody does. Get it into your head, there aint going to be any serious GAA this side of xmas

I honestly think by mid June we won’t even be talking about this flu and the games will get going quickly when they do get the go ahead. Club first then county. Maybe that will be the system going forward. It makes sense really.

I honestly think by mid June we won’t even be talking about this flu and the games will get going quickly when they do get the go ahead. Club first then county. Maybe that will be the system going forward. It makes sense really.

You are taking the piss now, i get it, fair play, you roped me in anyway :D

• Advertisement

I’m not taking the piss nor am I pissed. Just not hanging on to every word of tony Holohan and his team of “scientists “. My opinion of bull**** is as believable as them lads bull**** of closing down the country and ruining all aspects of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Zetor19 wrote:
    I’m not taking the piss nor am I pissed. Just not hanging on to every word of tony Holohan and his team of “scientists “. My opinion of bull**** is as believable as them lads bull**** of closing down the country and ruining all aspects of society.

Well, for the love of all that is sacred, get out there and protest it man, get the word out and and people will follow, you're wasting your time preaching here. To hell with the people dying, you have a bigger and better agenda. Inject the Domestos into you as soon as you can. And the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

It's just an opinion but I can't see there being a Championship this year. And a best case scenario is matches behind closed doors.

Let’s see who’s right come December, I will be in Croker for the all Ireland and 82000 others, and the lockdown merchants can stay at home and watch on tv unless the fear of the virus jumping through the tv and getting them is too much.

By the way this is the same Holohan who as overseen many fiascos in this country’s joke health system and now thinks he’s the Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Del Boy wrote: »
    It's just an opinion but I can't see there being a Championship this year. And a best case scenario is matches behind closed doors.

Will people just stop throwing out this "behind closed doors" line.

It's a fantasy.

Behind closed doors is impossible in an amateur sport like the GAA.

It's not about simply preventing the spread by not allowing people into the stands, you have to prevent spread among the players, the officials, the people that are needed to make a game go ahead, and their families and work colleagues etc.

Let’s see who’s right come December, I will be in Croker for the all Ireland and 82000 others, and the lockdown merchants can stay at home and watch on tv unless the fear of the virus jumping through the tv and getting them is too much.

Dark before 5pm in December.....they'd be training indoors or taking time off work? Hurling in the mud in December.....they'd be as well to cancel it.

Some sort of sudden death short Championship would be better if possible by end of Oct at latest.

You actually wont.

Weather in winter makes no difference to Croker pitch or any of the sand based pitches that are in every county now. Floodlights in every county . Players be delighted to be back.

Weather in winter makes no difference to Croker pitch or any of the sand based pitches that are in every county now. Floodlights in every county . Players be delighted to be back.

For large counties the training is rotated around and not every pitch would be sand.......I know you being optimistic but you also have to realistic. There would be major challenges to a winter Championship.

I don't think there'll be 82000 going to any match this year either.

Some sort of sudden death Championship in Autumn would be better quality IMO.

What you mean sudden death? Straight knock out is what I mean . Be fantastic entertainment all on the line the one day.

What you mean sudden death? Straight knock out is what I mean . Be fantastic entertainment all on the line the one day.

Exactly. Straight knock out. But winter won't work. Maybe for Dublin and eastern counties but not for the counties in West.

Non-stop rain in Limerick, Clare, Galway etc. Just can't see it going into winter months. And I doubt players would want it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Are you one of these people that are finding it hard to realise that this virus is a total change to our society . Are you one of these people that think we will here it on the news that everything is back to normal I would like to have seen the state of the country if they did not take the precautions they did worse fool you are to think other wise.

It’s probably somewhere in between all the “it’s just a flu” and “we should all plunge off the nearest bridge because we’re doomed”. Just listen to the experts and do as you’re bid. If no sport this year helps then we should all live with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

The most successful troll I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

How will it be any different next year? Forget about a vaccine it might never happen . Are people going to live like this for 2 years? 5? 10? We may as well be fcuking dead. Get back out there and take our chances , here imunitty is our only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How will it be any different next year? Forget about a vaccine it might never happen . Are people going to live like this for 2 years? 5? 10? We may as well be fcuking dead. Get back out there and take our chances , here imunitty is our only hope.

There’s already multiple vaccines in the works so it will happen. Probably not until next year at the earliest though so not much use to the GAA this season.

Has anyone even asked the players if they’d be comfortable playing with this virus still in the community? Do none of them have underlying conditions? You can’t socially distance in football or hurling.

No guarantee whatsoever that a vaccine will work and where will little old Ireland be on the waiting list if there is one. Rock bottom with the spineless leaders we have. 99% of players at all levels and all ages are mad for action to resume . History will show this ridiculous over reaction to be one of the biggest mistakes ever made by mankind.

May as well be dead :D

You’d swear you were being shipped off to the front lines of a war or something, not sit on your hole and watch telly. Grow up.

No guarantee whatsoever that a vaccine will work and where will little old Ireland be on the waiting list if there is one. Rock bottom with the spineless leaders we have. 99% of players at all levels and all ages are mad for action to resume . History will show this ridiculous over reaction to be one of the biggest mistakes ever made by mankind.

Are you a scientist? Because they seem to think it’ll work. Did you not see what happened in Italy, Spain and New York?

Has anyone actually asked inter county players if they’d be happy playing and risking infection?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Are you a scientist? Because they seem to think it’ll work. Did you not see what happened in Italy, Spain and New York?

Has anyone actually asked inter county players if they’d be happy playing and risking infection?

Or the families they go home to, or the work colleagues they see. People seem to think that the virus will just keep itself confined to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Jizique

MadYaker wrote: »

How would they be risking infection playing any more than they would just existing?
    What happened to the elderly and infirm in those areas has little to do with the average GAA player

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

May as well be dead :D

You’d swear you were being shipped off to the front lines of a war or something, not sit on your hole and watch telly. Grow up.

This makes me laugh instead of whinging about it you should appreciate the mobility you had/have. I have seen many people in the wheelchair area in CP brought thier by there carers/attendants etc. In some cases it is the only outlet such people have from thier struggles from day to day life.

I have seen Joanne O'Riordan (journalist) at a few matches in CP.

190820_m1_061.jpg

She happens to have Tetra-amelia syndrome - which means she is missing all four limbs. Does she wish she was dead? Can you imagine how her mobility is restricted in her normal day to day life? Can you imagine how her mobility is now restricted as a result of Covid19?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1238915963875209222

People have to adapt to the new reality, much like in the same manner those who are infirm/disabled adapt to a world predominately designed by and for able bodied people. Stop whinging and pull in the same direction, not against everyone and the whole situation will be much better.

If you can't just shut down for a few months or so, there is something lacking in your resolve. What will you be like as you get older and are not able to get around as you once were?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Jizique wrote: »
    How would they be risking infection playing any more than they would just existing?
    What happened to the elderly and infirm in those areas has little to do with the average GAA player

All touching the one ball. Hurler would be safer given they wear helmets....hard to touch face.

Sharing changing rooms etc

• Advertisement

It’s impossible to stay 2 metres away from other players in a football game. Some of the players surely have asthma or other conditions. That’s to say nothing of whoever they live with.

Advertisement