Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Maybe it's just me, but while I wouldn't rank it as highly as previous episodes this season I didn't find the final episode overly anti-climactic. I feel like the show's pacing has improved significantly in recent seasons in comparison to the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The viewing figures posted earlier are fairly typical for cable and I can't really see this setting the internet ablaze next year for half the planet to catch up because there's no 'hey, have you heard of this crazy show with the school teacher who cooks meth?'
    People stuck indoors, I see talk about rewatching the sopranos, the wire etc. They will have heard of BCS and hear it is getting closer to BB timeline and getting great reviews, so why not give it a go if they have all the time in the world and stuck for shows to watch.

Tony Dalton who plays Lalo is only 45, I would have guessed 55, Rhea Seehorn is 2 years older.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Something_Unforgivable
    I never would have twigged the ice cream!
    Trivia

With a duration of 60 minutes, this is the longest episode of Better Call Saul so far, as well as the longest episode in the Breaking Bad universe, tied with "Winner".

At the end of the episode, Kim makes the same kind of gesture to Jimmy that he made to her during the last episode of season 4, when he decided to practice under the name of Saul Goodman.
    If the symbolism is the same as for Jimmy, assuming his true personality and his transformation into Saul Goodman, it is very likely that this gesture marks a turning point in Kim's personality.

Jimmy seems frightened by the fact that Kim is willing to harm a lawyer's career in order to benefit the little people. While Jimmy has always been an unambitious little scammer, Kim seems ready to take on the role of a modern-day Robin Hood.

When Kim makes Jimmy an ice cream, Jimmy asks her not to use the mint flavor. At the end of the episode "50% Off", Jimmy had to leave his mint ice cream on the sidewalk, forced to get in the car with Nacho, and that was the beginning of trouble.

The final scene of Lalo walking toward the camera in anger while the sound of his steps switches to the sound of thunder may be a reference to the idiom "a storm is coming," which alludes to the impending advent of big trouble or danger.

This is the first season finale of Better Call Saul to not begin with a flashback.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I haven't looked at this thread since Tuesday morning! I haven't read any of it as I'm going to be watching the last episode tonight. I've managed to avoid spoilers. I'm looking forward to it but disappointed that it's going to be aaaaaaages before the last series comes out the way things are going with the world at the moment.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Here is a what happened Kim synopsis/discussion.

Even after watching it. I still think the transformation was too sudden in my opinion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I know Kim is a leading character, but I really couldn't give a **** about her. I don't find her engaging or likeable; if anything I can't wait to get her out of the way so Jimmy can be Saul in peace. I'm much more interested in what happens to Lalo/Nacho/Howard, etc. Given Jimmy's lightness of character in BB, I'm assuming nothing fatal happens to Kim: if anything, I'd guess that she does something that totally shocks him, and makes him more cynical about people, even those he loves the most. At this stage, it wouldn't surprise me if she did actually lose faith in Jimmy, and gets charmed into an even more Bonnie & Clyde lifestyle with Lalo! Or maybe she will go too far with the screwing with Howard and end up in jail, despite Jimmy warning her to ease up. She's a strange one, that Wexler bird :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I was waiting on Kim to flip out because she has always come across as a damaged blank canvas trying to find meaning.

She's tried being the high flyer.

She's tried by the ernest public defender pro Bono.

She's tried Jimmy's world of conning people.

It just so happens that it's the con she finally embraces.....probably because she knows this is her quickest way to check out of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

Will s6 overlap with brba season 1..?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I know Kim is a leading character, but I really couldn't give a **** about her. I don't find her engaging or likeable; if anything I can't wait to get her out of the way so Jimmy can be Saul in peace. I'm much more interested in what happens to Lalo/Nacho/Howard, etc. Given Jimmy's lightness of character in BB, I'm assuming nothing fatal happens to Kim: if anything, I'd guess that she does something that totally shocks him, and makes him more cynical about people, even those he loves the most. At this stage, it wouldn't surprise me if she did actually lose faith in Jimmy, and gets charmed into an even more Bonnie & Clyde lifestyle with Lalo! Or maybe she will go too far with the screwing with Howard and end up in jail, despite Jimmy warning her to ease up. She's a strange one, that Wexler bird :)

Rhea Seehorn is the MVP of the show for me. Her, Nacho and Lalo are the wheels that keep this show running, since we know what happens to Saul, Mike and Gus. Each their own like, but I don’t understand how you can love the show but not be interested in Kim, the show has essentially become “What happens to Kim?”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think I never warmed to Kim because we don't really know where she is coming from. Apart from one flashback when she was a kid, showing her stubborn side, all we know is her devotion to Jimmy. What is her motivation for this? Also, does she not have any other people in her life (friends/family), that might give her a bit more depth? She is quite one-dimensional, and just an odd character. If you told me she turns out to be a robot programmed to be loyal to Jimmy, it would make as much sense as her constant volte-face throughout the course of the show.

I think I never warmed to Kim because we don't really know where she is coming from. Apart from one flashback when she was a kid, showing her stubborn side, all we know is her devotion to Jimmy. What is her motivation for this? Also, does she not have any other people in her life (friends/family), that might give her a bit more depth? She is quite one-dimensional, and just an odd character. If you told me she turns out to be a robot programmed to be loyal to Jimmy, it would make as much sense as her constant volte-face throughout the course of the show.

I agree I used to have sympathy for Kim as a character. I could see a consistency in her decisions. The quick 180 made no sense to me.

• Advertisement

It’s not a viewpoint I’d agree with or see myself tbh, but you’re entitled to it. I don’t think every character needs an origin story personally, TV and movies tend to focus on the interesting arc of someone’s life that’s worth writing a story about. We don’t know about Howard’s origins really beyond basically being the same person we met at the beginning of the show and starting HHM with Chuck. We don’t know Lalo or any of the Salamancas’ origins either for example, but we don’t really need to. We didn’t even ask why Saul was Saul until they came up with the idea for this show.

Kim grew up with an alcoholic mother and we’re to assume took on the responsibility for her family instead of her mother, we can also infer that her propensity for pro bono work and trying to help ‘save’ helpless clients was born out of trying to ‘save’ her Mam (she’s teaching her a lesson in the one scene we’ve seen of them together). Hence she’s a high-achieving workaholic because she probably needed to be. She very likely also never got to have a childhood for that reason, plus we’ve seen her get slighted and walked all over like Jimmy coming up in the lawyer game (two different firms tried to strongarm her with Mesa Verde), so I can see how they connect and how someone who brings out a sense of childlike fun and mischief in her makes her tick. I mean for me that one scene answered a LOT of questions I’d have had about her, and the glaring obviousness of those questions from early on also suggests the writers had them in mind rather than just trying to fill in blanks, everyone who brings it up remarks how she’s out of Jimmy’s league for example. Is there more that needs answering beyond what’s going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Anyone looking for a follow-upper to BCS: I recommend Ozark (on Netflix).
    I'm glued to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

deandean wrote: »
    I'm glued to it!

Yeah it's a good show and the closest fix to BB/BCS you can get. It's also very fast paced, despite it being 10 episodes of an hour each, they pack so much into each episode, no slow burn there.

deandean wrote: »
    I'm glued to it!
    Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah it's a good show and the closest fix to BB/BCS you can get. It's also very fast paced, despite it being 10 episodes of an hour each, they pack so much into each episode, no slow burn there.

I will look that up so have no clue what it is a about though. So I will have an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

I didn't see that flashback as showing her stubborn side so much as seeing how damaged she was from having an alcoholic and presumably not very attentive mother...and possibly nobody else. It does however seem really strange that she keeps saying 'Ok Jimmy, this mad sh*t just happened but now it's over and you'll stop' despite her, Jimmy & us knowing that's not true. They are actually not very honest with each other at all.

optogirl wrote: »
    I didn't see that flashback as showing her stubborn side so much as seeing how damaged she was from having an alcoholic and presumably not very attentive mother...and possibly nobody else. It does however seem really strange that she keeps saying 'Ok Jimmy, this mad sh*t just happened but now it's over and you'll stop' despite her, Jimmy & us knowing that's not true. They are actually not very honest with each other at all.

That’s classic addict behaviour though: tell yourself that last time was the last time while quietly plotting the next time. Their hypocrisy is on show all season, that pledge of honesty was a lie in itself that both knew wouldn’t keep but needed to be there to save an ultimately doomed relationship. And even though Kim had drawn this red line when she knew Jimmy was lying to her a matter of days later she went the opposite direction and supported him lying. Like in the last episode alone she said that they’d stop a couple times, then it was actually her suggesting and pushing for the next dangerous idea. That’s not a plothole, it’s by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Ozark is the poor mans BB BCS... if you want something amazing checkout patriot on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Ozark is the poor mans BB BCS... if you want something amazing checkout patriot on Amazon

Ozark is pretty good. Not comparable to BCS OR BB. I'll check out patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ozark is pretty good. Not comparable to BCS OR BB. I'll check out patriot.

Will check out Patriot myself. I need something to fill the void. Never took to Ozark myself. The writing on the first season was poor. Does it get better. Is it worth a watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Unforgotten - not the same as BCS/BB but a good (UK - US Remake on the way) police drama with decent characters.

3 series of it - each follows 3 different stories over 6 episodes - been a good watch so far (Well - I watched series 2 and half way through 3 - so forgive me if the first turns out to be sh!te!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Let's get back to talking about this show, guys. Cheers. Start a new thread if you're looking for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭McGrath5

When are we likely to see season 6? Possibly 2 years away?

McGrath5 wrote: »
    When are we likely to see season 6? Possibly 2 years away?

Yeah, I'd say 2022 at the earliest. The actors will have visibly aged a lot in that time. It's already annoying some people and will probably annoy them even more then. It doesn't really spoil my enjoyment in any way.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.techradar.com/news/better-call-saul-season-6-release-date
    Better Call Saul cast: will more Breaking Bad characters return?

Better Call Saul wouldn’t exist without the man himself, so Odenkirk will return as Goodman. The Better Call Saul season 6 cast list isn’t confirmed, but we’ll certainly see more from Rhea Seehorn (Kim Wexler), Jonathan Banks (Mike Ehrmantraut), Patrick Fabian (Howard Hamlin), Micheal Mando (Nacho Varga), Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring), and Tony Dalton (Lalo Salamanca).

But while Gould has already confirmed that we won’t see Jesse (Aaron Paul) or Walter (Bryan Cranston), could we see any other Breaking Bad cameos? We were already treated to the return of Hank (Dean Norris) and his DEA buddy, Steven (Steven Michael Quezada) in season 5...

rubadub wrote: »

I didn't realise that it had been confirmed that WW and Jessie wouldn't be appearing. It's kinda disappointing in a way.

What about Skinny Pete and Badger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rubadub wrote: »

Can't imagine how we'd see any more of the main characters unless we just get another bit of Hank & Gomez. Maybe the likes of Bill Burr's character (Kirby, I think) or maybe Saul/Kim have to represent someone suing Ted Beneke or Elliot/Gretchen. But Bill Burr's character is the only other realistic option that might show up naturally, anyone else would largely be shoe-horned in.

I think we got a lot of our final BB cameos boxed off in El Camino, and they fit better there tbh. While I'm totally up for some crossover, I'd prefer it to be naturally done and the final season of BCS focuses on the characters from this we care about rather than shoehorning BB in and showing that that's the 'main' story. I'm even okay with Saul, Mike and Gus being used more as auxiliary figures to move the plot around: they've pretty much developed to the point that we met them in BB now. For me, the final season is all about what happens to Kim, Nacho and Lalo.

I've full faith they'll get this balance right and won't Rise of Skywalker it.

leggo wrote: »
    I think we got a lot of our final BB cameos boxed off in El Camino, and they fit better there tbh. While I'm totally up for some crossover, I'd prefer it to be naturally done and the final season of BCS focuses on the characters from this we care about rather than shoehorning BB in and showing that that's the 'main' story. I'm even okay with Saul, Mike and Gus being used more as auxiliary figures to move the plot around: they've pretty much developed to the point that we met them in BB now. For me, the final season is all about what happens to Kim, Nacho and Lalo.

I've full faith they'll get this balance right and won't Rise of Skywalker it.

I didn't think much of El Camino to be honest, felt like it was unnecessary. Bit of a vanity project. Or like someone taking an extra course module after the main course was finished.
    However, I am fairly confident at this stage that we will get a decent finale. Plenty of ground work laid after the last episode of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Back in catch-up.

5.9: It all feels like this is coming down to what happens to Kim now. Does she just go off on her own way because Saul lied, does she become some kinda secret partner, or .. does Lalo come back with a bunch of hitmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

Are they still married in Breaking Bad? Im looking forward to seeing how he picks the dingy office he ended up in. Also curious to see how he will look after his problem in the present . I would love it if the final scene of the series was Walter walking into his office for the first time, and...cut.

Advertisement